Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

They absolutely saw that coming and gave zero fucks.

And rightly so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

And rightly so

Abetting prison rape and assault isn't helping anything.

Yeah, gently caress this guy but he deserves to rot and nothing more.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DJExile posted:

Abetting prison rape and assault isn't helping anything.

Yeah, gently caress this guy but he deserves to rot and nothing more.

Yarp. This guy is the result of one institution failing in its obligations. The prison system also failing in its obligations doesn't make it better. It just continues the story.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1035192835216232449?s=19

ahem

BURN IT ALL DOWN

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
NCAA Finds NCAA Legislation to be Ineffective

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem is this is an out of scope problem in the NCAA's view. The most they could do is dismantle the gymnastics program, and what good would that do?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Death penalty.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Drunk Canuck posted:

Death penalty.

And what does that accomplish? A symbolic gesture that gives the university the ability to axe gymnastics wholly and not bring it back?

e: I'm not saying that something shouldn't be done here, but is it within the NCAA's purview to actually do something regarding this?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

The problem is this is an out of scope problem in the NCAA's view. The most they could do is dismantle the gymnastics program, and what good would that do?

It would be utterly meaningless because she's retired and never going to get another job but I'd have appreciated a show cause for the ex-coach.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Well now it makes sense why nobody at Michigan State cared about this. It wasn't their responsibility as members of an NCAA school to do anything.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

And what does that accomplish? A symbolic gesture that gives the university the ability to axe gymnastics wholly and not bring it back?

e: I'm not saying that something shouldn't be done here, but is it within the NCAA's purview to actually do something regarding this?

it accomplishes making other programs scared enough to clean house lest they also get banned from participating in the sport. young gymnasts will get scholarships elsewhere and Michigan State will lose the prestige of having a gymnastics program because they have proven themselves unable to care for the kids in their ward. it's an athletic program, ultimately it hurts nobody but the people who looked the other way for it to be killed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't recall if any of Nassar's victims were current MSU students at the time, I don't think they were. If that's the case then I doubt the NCAA had any jurisdiction here. It's a horrible crime, without question, but it's not an NCAA issue if that's the case.

Axing gymnastics just removes a non-revenue sport from MSU and honestly probably winds up saving the school some money.

gently caress the NCAA but this was a state and federal criminal matter and if you think the NCAA is incompetent now, imagine what they'd be like with law enforcement capabilities.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DJExile posted:

Axing gymnastics just removes a non-revenue sport from MSU and honestly probably winds up saving the school some money.

but it also takes jobs away from people who turned a blind eye to child abuse. this is the first and only point of axing the program. to put fear into people who would ignore abuse to save their jobs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The last time the NCAA dealt with this we got Penn State.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jit bull transpile posted:

but it also takes jobs away from people who turned a blind eye to child abuse. this is the first and only point of axing the program. to put fear into people who would ignore abuse to save their jobs.

like, my mind is seriously boggled by the argument that it's too extreme a move to fire all the people who ignored or gave shelter to a child molestor.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

iospace posted:

So nothing happening?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

punishing the pedo enablers went bad one time, better not try to punish anyone ever again.

i get that some of you followed penn state very closely and it instills a level of despair to see a bunch of hicks rally around a lovely pedophile, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't stop trying to punish those who harm children.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

like, my mind is seriously boggled by the argument that it's too extreme a move to fire all the people who ignored or gave shelter to a child molestor.

Yes, but I ask again, is that within the purview of the NCAA? I understand it's a corrupt organization only matched by the IOC and FIFA, but is it their purview to fire employees that are not their own?

Trust me, I want those people fired, but asking the NCAA to do it is a losing battle. They only care about whether or not money changed hands.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's not too extreme but that's not the NCAA's job in this case. it's MSUs, and above that, the state of Michigan.

E: and it's not like the NCAA is somehow above either of them in some sort of hierarchy. They're a non-profit (lol, but that's another story) non-government agency.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 30, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I don't think that's the argument though, everyone has been really supportive of canning those involved. I don't think MSU's gymnastics program is all that many dedicated employees vs the number of students that would be affected, and I don't know much about college gymnastics but I don't think its the kind of thing where its easy to just go out and find scholarships at other schools.

Plus, who involved is still there? The President, AD, Medical dean have all resigned/been fired. If there are others I think it makes sense to continue to root out who knew anything and press charges. Closing down gymnastics wouldn't clear out others in the Athletic Department anyway. It seems like shutting down the program would hardly affect anyone who may have been involved and DEFINITELY hurt a bunch of students who were not involved at all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Applying the death penalty, or any significant punishment, to the MSU gymnastics program will have only one effect:

"Well, we're closing it up. We'll reopen it at a later date. *years pass, hasn't been reopened, with no sign of it coming back in sight*"

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

This is a reminder that MSU spent millions of dollars stalking victims online to try and discredit them.

But that's nowhere near as bad as tattoos.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

This is a reminder that MSU spent millions of dollars stalking victims online to try and discredit them.

But that's nowhere near as bad as tattoos.

i dont' think anyone's gonna argue that but it's an apples and oranges comparison. Universities do plenty of scummy poo poo that isn't within the NCAA's jurisdiction.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The NCAA is there to regulate the on field competition of sports, nothing else. They set rules for what makes a player eligible or not, which is why tattoos are something that they can actually act on. The other stuff is the purview of the state.

To demand more of them is like saying that the ASE should shut down an Autozone because one of the mechanics raped someone by the dumpsters.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DJExile posted:

I don't recall if any of Nassar's victims were current MSU students at the time, I don't think they were. If that's the case then I doubt the NCAA had any jurisdiction here. It's a horrible crime, without question, but it's not an NCAA issue if that's the case.

A ton of them were including people from other sports teams who got referred over. Since the AD and president were involved in the enabling and cover-up , and thus the university as a whole, MSU should have at the very least had post season bans from all NCAA sanctioned tournaments. NCAA threatened such a ban for schools with mascots that weren't tolerable and this is a hell of a lot worse

Penn State, Michigan State , Baylor off the top of my head should all have very long bans for all sports. Grant immediate transfer waivers to all athletes if they want to do that.
Then let other authorities handle the rest , who will probably do more once the institutional reputation is severely diminished

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 30, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I had it in my head it was just younger gymnasts that he abused for some reason, that's my mistake then

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There were a bunch of MSU softball players IIRC

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rape is not an NCAA violation, everyone knows this by now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

iospace posted:

Applying the death penalty, or any significant punishment, to the MSU gymnastics program will have only one effect:

"Well, we're closing it up. We'll reopen it at a later date. *years pass, hasn't been reopened, with no sign of it coming back in sight*"

Who cares. It’s not like the gymnastics program is some inalienable right.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Protip: if you're looking for the NCAA to save you, you're already dead.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

iospace posted:

That sounds better than what happened with Penn State, yes

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lessail posted:

That sounds better than what happened with Penn State, yes

So you want to punish the athletes who may have been a victim of this whole mess by telling them "go to a different school" now?

This is why I don't like the NCAA coming down and handing down the death penalty. It punishes the athletes, who are the victims in this case, more than the school itself. This isn't Baylor where the people who did the gross poo poo were the athletes, the athletes were the victims. If anything, the NCAA should hand down lifetime bans to everyone involved with the coverup from participating in any NCAA sport in any capacity, including AD or coach, but they won't do that.

e: I know someone is going to come in and go "What about Penn State then?" Joe Pa should have been stripped of all wins since Sandusky started his camp, all bowl wins and any national titles stripped, and none of that should have been ever given back to PSU or JoePa, period. I don't feel right punishing the players by way of scholarship losses, who in this case were a completely unrelated third party, because of the sins of a coach, beyond firing said coach and stripping wins.

PSU's fans reactions were loving gross though (also Urban Meyer should have been shown cause).

tl;dr: I want the NCAA to do more, but I don't see what they can do that wouldn't harm the victims in this case more than the people who sat on their asses.

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 31, 2018

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
the wins were stripped op but then they were reinstated lmao

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Metapod posted:

the wins were stripped op but then they were reinstated lmao

I know, which is why I said they should have never been given back.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The two are indeed the same; the NCAA was wrong to step outside of their purview and punish Penn State in the manner that they did, and they would be wrong to do so with Michigan State.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Calling what the NCAA did punishing is a bit a atretch

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

iospace posted:

So you want to punish the athletes who may have been a victim of this whole mess by telling them "go to a different school" now?

This is why I don't like the NCAA coming down and handing down the death penalty. It punishes the athletes, who are the victims in this case, more than the school itself. This isn't Baylor where the people who did the gross poo poo were the athletes, the athletes were the victims. If anything, the NCAA should hand down lifetime bans to everyone involved with the coverup from participating in any NCAA sport in any capacity, including AD or coach, but they won't do that.

e: I know someone is going to come in and go "What about Penn State then?" Joe Pa should have been stripped of all wins since Sandusky started his camp, all bowl wins and any national titles stripped, and none of that should have been ever given back to PSU or JoePa, period. I don't feel right punishing the players by way of scholarship losses, who in this case were a completely unrelated third party, because of the sins of a coach, beyond firing said coach and stripping wins.

PSU's fans reactions were loving gross though (also Urban Meyer should have been shown cause).

tl;dr: I want the NCAA to do more, but I don't see what they can do that wouldn't harm the victims in this case more than the people who sat on their asses.

Why would they want to go to that specific school in the first place

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lessail posted:

Why would they want to go to that specific school in the first place

Maybe their parents did, maybe it's close by, maybe they offered a scholarship when no one else did. There's a bunch of reasons and those are the first ones that came to mind.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

iospace posted:

Maybe their parents did, maybe it's close by, maybe they offered a scholarship when no one else did. There's a bunch of reasons and those are the first ones that came to mind.

Ah, so gaining prestige from the cover up never entered your mind, now I see where the disconnect is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lessail posted:

Ah, so gaining prestige from the cover up never entered your mind, now I see where the disconnect is.

Please explain what you mean by this. I'm curious now.