Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
On one of the travel blogs, there was an AA passenger that took a bump for a $600 voucher due to an aircraft swap, then the original flight got delayed to fly out after the bumped flight. Guy emails AA to complain because he was basically sitting in a terminal without a ticket for a bunch of hours, after some back and forth, they realize his flight went out first and they revoke the voucher. I feel kinda bad for the guy because it's a $600 voucher, but he also did continue to complain after they gave him 3,000 courtesy miles.

Maybe I'm just too beaten down where I think 3,000 miles is the best that I'm going to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lote posted:

On one of the travel blogs, there was an AA passenger that took a bump for a $600 voucher due to an aircraft swap, then the original flight got delayed to fly out after the bumped flight. Guy emails AA to complain because he was basically sitting in a terminal without a ticket for a bunch of hours, after some back and forth, they realize his flight went out first and they revoke the voucher. I feel kinda bad for the guy because it's a $600 voucher, but he also did continue to complain after they gave him 3,000 courtesy miles.

Maybe I'm just too beaten down where I think 3,000 miles is the best that I'm going to get.

That's it? Mechanical delay usually nets me at least 10k, more often 15k. I would've expected them to at least give him that much.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

Lote posted:

I wonder what would have happened if he had booked future travel with the voucher and then complained.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
Has anyone been able to log into the Marriot or SPG websites?

I get this very helpful error message when I try to: "We are unable to process your request at this time due to an unprocessable condition. Please try again later."

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Buckhead posted:

I get this very helpful error message when I try to: "We are unable to process your request at this time due to an unprocessable condition. Please try again later."

I've had no issues. Am an US customer if that means anything

e: I did some checking and I received that after I missed my SPG password 2x when combining accounts. Was OK after a refresh

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 27, 2018

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Buckhead posted:

Buckhead posted:

Delete your browser cookies for both and refresh/restart your browser. This is a common thing lately with the merger.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm never surprised when I find a gob of caulk in random places on an airplane

Broken trim piece on a seat? A little caulk will fix it. Gap in overhead panel? Nothing 2" wide caulk line won't cover.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's always fun when they have a maintenance crew working on the plane during international flights, drawing nervous looks from the passengers.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Alright gently caress it I'll ask here since Marriott's tech support is atrocious: does anyone know what the url is for their wifi login?

A few months ago they were having login problems and gave everyone a generic code to get in. The code is still working but unfortunately no matter what I do I can't get their router to forget me and force me to sign back in with my actual name and room number so that I can use their premium connection. Someone halp

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

Alright gently caress it I'll ask here since Marriott's tech support is atrocious: does anyone know what the url is for their wifi login?

A few months ago they were having login problems and gave everyone a generic code to get in. The code is still working but unfortunately no matter what I do I can't get their router to forget me and force me to sign back in with my actual name and room number so that I can use their premium connection. Someone halp

When you get on their network try going to internetupgrade.marriott.com to see if you can force the login page.

I was having the same issue last week and my coworker sent me that URL to try but... I was lazy and never tried it and just lived with the lovely wifi for the rest of the week. :eng99:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
In other news, I finally got the Marriott credit card to see if I can meet my points threshold to get to the next tier of lifetime status by the end of the year, but I am a few hundred thousand shy so I gotta get creative... I need to replace my car, can I put a new one on a CC and pay it off immediately? :thunk:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

nikosoft posted:

When you get on their network try going to internetupgrade.marriott.com to see if you can force the login page.

I was having the same issue last week and my coworker sent me that URL to try but... I was lazy and never tried it and just lived with the lovely wifi for the rest of the week. :eng99:

Yeah it throws an error when I try to hit this saying, "We are unable to connect because of a time-duration error associated with your selection. " probably because I'm using a backdoor that should have expired months ago :v:

Also the hotel manager just emailed me to assure me that they're working on getting the wifi back up and he's sorry for the inconvenience :downs:

asur
Dec 28, 2012

nikosoft posted:

In other news, I finally got the Marriott credit card to see if I can meet my points threshold to get to the next tier of lifetime status by the end of the year, but I am a few hundred thousand shy so I gotta get creative... I need to replace my car, can I put a new one on a CC and pay it off immediately? :thunk:

Most dealerships won't let you put more 4k - 5k on a card. If they do it's a pretty good indication you can negotiate a better price as they're covering the 2-3% fee.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hell is a 7AM Southwest flight from LAX to Baltimore.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Our HQ is in Baltimore and they all fly Southwest and love it. My airport has a couple of Southwest flights only to Nashville at weird hours so I never fly them, thank god.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

psydude posted:

Hell is a Southwest flight

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TheWevel posted:

Our HQ is in Baltimore and they all fly Southwest and love it. My airport has a couple of Southwest flights only to Nashville at weird hours so I never fly them, thank god.

Baltimore was forsaken by the legacy carriers, so people in central MD have a kind of Stockholm syndrome thing going on with Southwest because it's the only airline that flies direct unless you want to suffer in DC traffic to get to national.

Their change policy is great and they're fine for anything sub-2 hours or for cheap personal travel to follow your favorite Jimmy Buffet knock off band tour the Carribbean. But holy poo poo, anything longer than that is basically a greyhound bus ride with pretzels.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 29, 2018

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Hell is a 7AM Southworst flight from LAX to Baltimore.
Fixed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Welcome to flyer talk dot com

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Southwest is bad?

Granted, I don’t fly on them much but the planes are usually clean and you sit wherever you sit.

IMHO,

Your own private jet > Delta > American > Everyone Else > United

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Chartering a jet and all is great but

flying private is usually remarkably uncomfortable bc the jets are small and because it’s “free” to tack people on lots of seats are filled but there are no places to put cabin bags so it’s a giant mess

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Southwest is bad? Granted, I don’t fly on them much but the planes are usually clean and you sit wherever you sit.

IMHO, Your own private jet > Delta > American > Everyone Else > United
Southwest themselves aren't bad (except for EarlyBird check-in, but that's another issue completely), but their passengers ruin the flight experience for me. Your list is pretty accurate, but I'd still put Southwest above American just because every single American flight I seem to get on is an old-rear end MD80, and I don't hate some of the newer SW 737s.

sellouts posted:

Welcome to flyer talk dot com
I forgot to print out my FlyerTalk bag-tag for my last trip!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Delta has "better" domestic service, but their international offering is hot garbage (spoiler: premium economy on all but their most recently renovated aircraft is just comfort plus, which wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't considered a premium economy fare). The same goes for the fare restrictions on upgrades on international routes (American only restricts basic economy and certain specialty airfares).

United is the worst airline, full stop. Ask anyone who's ever burned a boatload of points (or their employer's money) to upgrade to business on an international route and thought sitting in a window seat would be a pleasant experience.

Alaska is definitely the best domestic airline, but that's only really useful to people in the west coast and unfortunately they don't do international.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Delta has "better" domestic service, but their international offering is hot garbage (spoiler: premium economy on all but their most recently renovated aircraft is just comfort plus, which wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't considered a premium economy fare). The same goes for the fare restrictions on upgrades on international routes (American only restricts basic economy and certain specialty airfares).
I don't know man, D1 service on the international routes I've flown was pretty nice.

quote:

United is the worst airline, full stop. Ask anyone who's ever burned a boatload of points (or their employer's money) to upgrade to business on an international route and thought sitting in a window seat would be a pleasant experience.
Absolutely agree. Part of my last international trip was on United and even though getting delayed/canceled on sucks, getting rebooked on Delta was a huge win for me.

quote:

Alaska is definitely the best domestic airline, but that's only really useful to people in the west coast and unfortunately they don't do international.
RIP Midwest Airlines. They were the best.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

nikosoft posted:

How does this work? Don’t you need literally millions of points for lifetime?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mandalay posted:

How does this work? Don’t you need literally millions of points for lifetime?
He said NEXT tier, the tiers (under the old system) IIRC were 1.2, 1.6, and 2 million points respectively, so presumably less than 400,000. (Hopefully a lot less.)

Under the new system, it's just years of status and nights.

That all said, you can also buy ~50,000 points/year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

psydude posted:

Delta prices true premium economy (premium select) and Comfort+ differently

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Small White Dragon posted:

He said NEXT tier, the tiers (under the old system) IIRC were 1.2, 1.6, and 2 million points respectively, so presumably less than 400,000. (Hopefully a lot less.)

Under the new system, it's just years of status and nights.

That all said, you can also buy ~50,000 points/year.

Ahh, just looked it up. It's not just points - you also need a ton of nights.
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/marriott/will-able-hit-lifetime-spg-marriott-status-year-lifetime-program-devalued/

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
“A few hundred thousand” is going to be tough without some actual spend.

You can buy 50k, transfer in some from UA and from a Chase UR card, and apply for the new SPG and Marriott cards. Outside of that I think your only other option is to have some from a spouse’s account transferred in to satisfy an award like a big travel package.

I mean, maybe it’s possible, but you’ll want to seriously do your research to make sure that they’ll all stack the way you need them to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If the airline you're flying with doesn't support Precheck, can you use your global entry card to get into the Precheck line instead?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

If the airline you're flying with doesn't support Precheck, can you use your global entry card to get into the Precheck line instead?
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it has to be on the boarding pass.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

DJCobol posted:

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it has to be on the boarding pass.

This is correct. You can't use a Global Entry, Nexus, or Sentri card. Nor can you use the approval letter. It's boarding pass or nothing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

This is correct. You can't use a Global Entry, Nexus, or Sentri card. Nor can you use the approval letter. It's boarding pass or nothing.

Good thing you can't print out boarding passes on your own printer and add whatever you want.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Midjack posted:

Good thing you can't print out boarding passes on your own printer and add whatever you want.

They'll shoo you over to the regular line when they scan your BP and it isn't flagged in the PreCheck system. If they notice you modified your BP to add the PreCheck logo, I'd hope they send you to SSSS.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Midjack posted:

It fails when they go to scan it. At RDU they seem to have gotten rid of the person who does visual checks, so you'll see TSA agents there scan people's boarding pass and then inform them they aren't pre-check. So they get bounced to the regular line. The fun part is when they feel that waiting in the four person pre-check line entitles them to jump to the front of the regular line.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Has anyone taken up Sheraton’s gift offer on getting one of their mattresses? I just got a new place and am gonna replace my mattress soon and just remembered that I have that as an option. I really liked their stuff when I stayed there but who knows if that’s what I’ll actually get.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Thomamelas posted:

It fails when they go to scan it. At RDU they seem to have gotten rid of the person who does visual checks, so you'll see TSA agents there scan people's boarding pass and then inform them they aren't pre-check. So they get bounced to the regular line. The fun part is when they feel that waiting in the four person pre-check line entitles them to jump to the front of the regular line.
This happens all the time at BNA too. Someone without precheck will get in line, scan their BP, and then get kicked to the back of the normal line by the TSA agent.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

DJCobol posted:

This happens all the time at BNA too. Someone without precheck will get in line, scan their BP, and then get kicked to the back of the normal line by the TSA agent.

Sometimes it makes for some nice comedy.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I guess the “machines aren’t working” or some other insanity for EWR Terminal A Gates 30-39 so even the precheck line is all the way down the hallway to the bathrooms and I might actually miss my flight despite being here an hr before boarding ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You use your Nexus or Global Entry card to get into the cool guy line (at airport security) in Canada. You can bring your friends too.

Guy Axlerod fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 31, 2018