Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

He has a history of being lovely to LGBTQ people (especially trans-women, whom he blocks en-masse) and did and said nothing about his rapist pal Chris Hardwick, and still hasn't cut ties with him. All while presenting himself as a reasonable progressive liberal who cares about minorities etc. He's also incredibly centrist and think Berniebros cost Hillary the election and will loudly state that to anyone that listens. He's like if the liberal nerd side of reddit was a person.

He got ran off Mastodon for reporting trans women en-masse for jokes. The lady who BOFA'd him first got banned. He reported so many accounts the mods had to get involved and eventually told him to gently caress off, after which he immediately played victim because Wil Wheaton is always right how dare you.

Wow, I didn't know any of this. That sucks, I kinda liked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Never meet your heros kid who's space mom gave you special feelings.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Garrand posted:

I still don't understand why jokes for literal middle schoolers are somehow some amazing ownage of people.

Directness is in, pretension is out. Get with the times Pal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

He has a history of being lovely to LGBTQ people (especially trans-women, whom he blocks en-masse) and did and said nothing about his rapist pal Chris Hardwick, and still hasn't cut ties with him. All while presenting himself as a reasonable progressive liberal who cares about minorities etc. He's also incredibly centrist and think Berniebros cost Hillary the election and will loudly state that to anyone that listens. He's like if the liberal nerd side of reddit was a person.

He got ran off Mastodon for reporting trans women en-masse for jokes. The lady who BOFA'd him first got banned. He reported so many accounts the mods had to get involved and eventually told him to gently caress off, after which he immediately played victim because Wil Wheaton is always right how dare you.

For how much material there is of people consistently ridiculing him with minor jabs like that I thought it was something inconsequential that people could still poke fun at. Like he wears a bowtie or something. This is so odd to hear, considering that everyone seems pretty restained when making fun of him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edit: Dammit Emmy why are you ruining our funny pictures about fandoms.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I don’t care what anyone says, BOFA is always great.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Lol I went to unfollow him on Twitter because I didn't know about this before and he's not turning up in my search. I guess he must have blocked me (a trans person).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

For how much material there is of people consistently ridiculing him with minor jabs like that I thought it was something inconsequential that people could still poke fun at. Like he wears a bowtie or something. This is so odd to hear, considering that everyone seems pretty restained when making fun of him.

That's because no matter how terrible a person he may be, he's still Wil Wheaton. Mild derision is the most appropriate amount of energy to direct towards him.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Woebin posted:

Lol I went to unfollow him on Twitter because I didn't know about this before and he's not turning up in my search. I guess he must have blocked me (a trans person).

As a gross Twitter user, I relish the huge turn of opinion/perception of trans people that is happening.
Every idiot TERF is cratered immediately by the trans supporting community. It's not yet great BUT I'm shocked to see the momentum.

Hell, even in my line of work (which is largely conservative people) the support for trans people and their rights is surprisingly large.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Imagine breathlessly rushing to block some one on Twitter because you read a post on a forum

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gay Horney posted:

Imagine breathlessly rushing to block some one on Twitter because you read a post on a forum

How about an actual article about it?

https://medium.com/@AmberEnderton/wil-wheaton-has-a-listening-problem-accdf6277b88

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

:corsair: the hell's mastadon?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Not to derail this even further, but Hardwick was found innocent by both the networks he represents, so calling him a rapist just because you choose to believe one side over another a bit extreme..

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Bombadilillo posted:

???

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Probably because it's based entirely on the raging of people on twitter, and everyone loves piling on even if they never actually see any of this poo poo the person in question supposedly did.

Entirely related:

Gay Horney posted:

I read what he wrote about the whole incident, and ignoring anything about who did what to who when (I don't have the energy to defend a guy I don't even know to other people I don't know)....dude's spot on about how utterly toxic these sites are now. How many people in just this thread are nodding along to "gently caress Wil Wheaton" who didn't even know about any of this poo poo.

I've been banned from so many sphynx cat groups on facebook for "being mean" by doing things like responding to "Omg something is wrong with my cat what should I do" with "stop asking for medical advice on facebook and take her to the vet". I'm pretty sure it's impossible to interact with anyone on social media at this point and not kick off a lynch mob that wants to drive you off of it, no matter how minor (or imaginary) your crimes. It's a lot easier to believe the horrible poo poo you read about someone and write them off as a terrible person than it is to give them the benefit of the doubt.

All that said, burn it all to the ground and start over. Or don't, I'm totally fine with twitter just not existing anymore.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

New Leaf posted:

Not to derail this even further, but Hardwick was found innocent by both the networks he represents, so calling him a rapist just because you choose to believe one side over another a bit extreme..

You mean to say a law firm that represents Hardwick's in-laws was asked to investigate, they asked Chloe Dykstra to participate, she declined because she said it wasn't her intention to ruin his career, and they decided that was case closed...

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Wow, I had no idea he was such a raging jackass.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

New Leaf posted:

But what about the rich straight white men who rape women, forum's user New Leaf asks?

Who will speak for them?

Won't someone please stand up against this injustice?

A man has been inconvenienced, this cannot be allowed to stand!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No it's okay, you see the businesses that have a vested commercial interest in him being innocent conducted their own investigation and found no evidence of him being an abuser and torturer of women!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His crimes as I read them are:

accidentally promoted a terf-block list that he then apologized for
Reported someone for being BOFA pranked (which admittedly is a lame thing to do) and that someone happened to be trans, so he's a transphobe

quote:

This is hardly his only blunder involving trans issues. More recently, he was a celebrity endorsement for Brianna Wu, a candidate who among other things notoriously donated to the North Carolina GOP after they passed a bill meant to purge trans people from public spaces.
Brianna Wu is a transphobe?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Imagine twitter but not run by nazi and with better moderation and community guidelines / TOS that gets enforced.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No joke, until a couple posts later when someone explained what Mastodon (the web site) was, I was briefly worried that something happened to Mastodon (the band). I'm old and sometimes technology confuses me and I care less and less every year.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zoux posted:

His crimes as I read them are:

accidentally promoted a terf-block list that he then apologized for
Reported someone for being BOFA pranked (which is lame) and that someone happened to be trans, so he's a transphobe

Pretty much. I love how this "article" (someone's rant) even describes exactly what happened, which is incredibly clear was due to the idiotic "prank" and not because the user was trans in any way.....and then acknowledges the obvious problem here with, "Why does this user being trans matter?" Because he made a mistake ages ago, which he apologized for and rectified as far as he was able to, if he does ANYTHING and the other party happens to be trans he's a monster?

You read anything else he writes, and it's incredibly clear he's on the right side of poo poo. But that requires effort and thought.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I know this should go in the "mildly interesting" thread, but I feel bad for contributing to the derail.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

This is hardly his only blunder involving trans issues. More recently, he was a celebrity endorsement for Brianna Wu, a candidate who among other things notoriously donated to the North Carolina GOP after they passed a bill meant to purge trans people from public spaces.

Since when was Brianna Wu of all people donating to the GOP for anti-trans bills?

e;fb

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Pretty much. I love how this "article" (someone's rant) even describes exactly what happened, which is incredibly clear was due to the idiotic "prank" and not because the user was trans in any way.....and then acknowledges the obvious problem here with, "Why does this user being trans matter?" Because he made a mistake ages ago, which he apologized for and rectified as far as he was able to, if he does ANYTHING and the other party happens to be trans he's a monster?

You read anything else he writes, and it's incredibly clear he's on the right side of poo poo. But that requires effort and thought.

Most of the complaints boil down to the whole "Silence is complicity" thing. If you aren't regularly saying "gently caress those awful people that do those awful things" as a person with (even as small as Wheaton's) sphere of influence, you're probably supporting them.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Most of the complaints boil down to the whole "Silence is complicity" thing. If you aren't regularly saying "gently caress those awful people that do those awful things" as a person with (even as small as Wheaton's) sphere of influence, you're probably supporting them.

Which gets down to the heart of the biggest problem with social media in general as a court of public opinion: The only emotion allowed is outrage. You're either yelling about the correct things, or you're the enemy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

chitoryu12 posted:

Since when was Brianna Wu of all people donating to the GOP for anti-trans bills?

e;fb

Donating any money to them at all is donating to support those bills, is the basic logic of it, since the GOP's anti-trans legislation around the country is a pretty big loving deal and a main issue of concern.

She did end up withdrawing her donations later, but the Internet never forgets when you gently caress up.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like people are missing the really important thing from this discussion;

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I've been banned from so many sphynx cat groups on facebook

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

You mean to say a law firm that represents Hardwick's in-laws was asked to investigate, they asked Chloe Dykstra to participate, she declined because she said it wasn't her intention to ruin his career, and they decided that was case closed...

If you're not going to follow it up, why say anything at all? I don't understand "Not to ruin any lives or anything, but Person X is a rapist and abuser. Please don't ask me about it, and please enjoy your day!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Donating any money to them at all is donating to support those bills, is the basic logic of it, since the GOP's anti-trans legislation around the country is a pretty big loving deal and a main issue of concern.

She did end up withdrawing her donations later, but the Internet never forgets when you gently caress up.

I just don't get why she would donate to the GOP at all. She's running on the Democrat ticket and is a vocal anti-Trump feminist. It just doesn't make sense as a donation at all.

On the other hand, she tried to raise awareness of her campaign through Twitch streaming and said that we can't colonize the moon because it'll let people drop moon rocks on Earth like nukes, so I don't think she's the brightest bulb.

The General posted:

If you're not going to follow it up, why say anything at all? I don't understand "Not to ruin any lives or anything, but Person X is a rapist and abuser. Please don't ask me about it, and please enjoy your day!"

She never said who the person was. Media outlets figured it out from context.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

That avocado is far too ripe.

https://twitter.com/ella_beaudoin/status/1035194952236589058

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm confused because she's running as a D, and I did a quick google search for "Brianna Wu GOP Donations" but couldn't find anything. Do you have a link?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

The General posted:

Closure? Catharsis? Because she wanted someone, anyone to know what happened, and maybe help people in similar situations know they're not alone, but then not have to go through another few months or possible years of civil court litigation reliving it and being called a lying whore by the public?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If you aren't regularly saying "gently caress those awful people that do those awful things" as a person with (even as small as Wheaton's) sphere of influence, you're probably supporting them.

I legit can't tell if this is sarcasm at this point in 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What the gently caress is going on in this thread.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The General posted:

If you don't understand how PTSD actually works and how it affects victims of assault, or why a victim of that kind of assault in many cases literally cannot endure the bullshit our legal system puts them through because it blames the victim 99% of the time in these kinds of cases, I don't know what to tell you.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I honestly thought this was IOSM because I don't pay enough attention to things....so yeah, I'm going to slip out of this derail now.

Have a funny cat gif.

https://i.imgur.com/uIBsSLt.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress? That guy just said that he has been banned from multiple sphynx cat Facebook groups, and everybody is just arguing about Wil Wheaton like it was no big deal. I'm sorry, but that kind of revelation is the sort of thing that changes the topic of conversation.