Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Well, to be fair, I was put on call for the second weekend in a row without me knowing, and I asked in a public channel whether I was going to get paid for a second weekend. This was before we were told we didn't get on call pay anymore. Apparently the schedule had changed from Friday thru thursday, to Monday thru Sunday. That meant I was put on call for a couple of extra days.
I said sorry, I have plans this weekend and I wasn't aware of the schedule change.

This morning on the call where I got fired, the manager said "do you think that was a good thing to say?" That was the last straw for him.

To be fairer, still gently caress that guy.

Also still apply for unemployment, worst case you get denied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Apply and fight it. gently caress 'em.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Well, to be fair, I was put on call for the second weekend in a row without me knowing, and I asked in a public channel whether I was going to get paid for a second weekend. This was before we were told we didn't get on call pay anymore. Apparently the schedule had changed from Friday thru thursday, to Monday thru Sunday. That meant I was put on call for a couple of extra days.
I said sorry, I have plans this weekend and I wasn't aware of the schedule change.

This morning on the call where I got fired, the manager said "do you think that was a good thing to say?" That was the last straw for him.

Arghghghghghghgh what the gently caress dude. You are completely entirely innocent and did nothing remotely wrong throughout this. I'm very sorry for this loving embarrassing situation.

Thanks you others for the info.

mewse
May 2, 2006

You should be eligible for unemployment imo. Having an idiot not like you isn't fired for cause.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I just applied. We'll see what happens.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The company has to fight against your unemployment claim to stop it from going through, unless it was for something like theft or absenteeism. This is almost never worth the companies time, so it doesn't happen unless the entire company is being vindictive.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Changing your rotation without notice and using it to fire you hopefully isn't very defensible for the company.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm loving angry for him about this. This is loving shocking and not remotely a fireable offense in any way shape or form. How on earth is this not wrongful termination? How on earth is this remotely excusable? How does responding that way in any way reflect negatively on him? Telling a pissy manager that you can't help with something because you're at a dentist on your APPROVED day off is something he should be careful of??

It definitely feels like wrongful termination to me as well and doesn't reflect poorly on him at all. I don't quite see how you jumped to that conclusion from the post you quoted but okay.

If your boss is a unreasonable and/or irrational person, confronting them head on isn't going to work in your favor. It just doesn't. Should you have to deal with bullshit like that by ignoring behavior and keeping your head down while you find another job? No. Is that the reality we live in while living in the US? Yes. It was realistic advice.

chin up everything sucks posted:

The company has to fight against your unemployment claim to stop it from going through, unless it was for something like theft or absenteeism. This is almost never worth the companies time, so it doesn't happen unless the entire company is being vindictive.

It all depends. My last place of employment the CFO fought all unemployment as a policy because he was a petty person to the core of his being.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 29, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Imagine being such a lovely company that you actually spend business hours trying to actively destroy someone's livelihood where you don't even have any financial gain on the line.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zapf Dingbat posted:

If they try to deny, show up for the hearing. They likely won't. It's not like you have something else to do. :v:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m not familiar with how unemployment works. Is the company on the hook for your reduced pay?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’m not familiar with how unemployment works. Is the company on the hook for your reduced pay?

It fucks with their taxes.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You qualify for 60% of your pay, but there's a cap at like $350 a week, pre tax. Basically if you're above minimum wage you just get paid the cap. It depends on state, but you can only get a maximum benefit of like 4 or 5 months I believe before unemployment runs out.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vargatron posted:

You qualify for 60% of your pay, but there's a cap at like $350 a week, pre tax. Basically if you're above minimum wage you just get paid the cap. It depends on state, but you can only get a maximum benefit of like 4 or 5 months I believe before unemployment runs out.

Different states have different caps. Georgia caps out at 330 a week up to 20 weeks. Arizona $240, Texas $465.

Employers pay an unemployment insurance tax as a percentage of their payroll. They have a financial interest in keep that rate as low as possible.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

chin up everything sucks posted:

Fight back if they try to be shitheads like that. You need to have been fired for misconduct to be denied unemployment. Misconduct means more than "didn't scrape and bow sufficiently before lovely manager".

Can google the misconduct definition for your appropriate state but it's generally along the lines of criminal, dangerous or materially damaging acts against the employer like intentionally sabotaging something or breaking poo poo.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I'll be surprised if I got unemployment benefits. Only time I was ever able to get that was after I did census work.

Then again, now I'm in Georgia and not Alabama. I know not much of an upgrade but gently caress Alabama.

You should apply anyways, and appeal any initial denial.

In many states if the employer contests the claim the initial application is denied, and only after the appeal is any of the information in the application verified. Some employers will contest every claim because it keeps their unemployment insurance premiums low and often former employees do not go through with appealing the claim. Ultimately whether you are eligible is up to the state unemployment office and not your former employer. It takes relatively little time to pursue, and even if you are only out of work for a few weeks before starting a new position it is worth spending the time.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Something similar happened to me. I had the poo poo shift when new guys got better hours, working alone for half the time with angry customers and nobody else around to help. They gave me a raise, and then 3 months later lost their biggest client... then conveniently they found one stupid issue they said I didn't handle properly and fired me on a Friday based on that. Filed for unemployment and they did a phone interview and never had any issue getting my check. I was being downsized but they didn't want to actually pay severance or anything because they were slimey bastards that would spin off new companies all the time with holdings on some Caribbean island somewhere.

Also getting fired from that job was the best thing that had happened to my career. I got hired at my next job for 15k more and got a 5k raise within 3 months of taking the new position.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Thanks, I didn't really understand the appeal process until now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Everybody gets denied their first application for unemployment unless it was some kind of layoff or amicable split.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Just got fired. Not a team player. Not willing to jump in on my off time I guess.

please
⊂_ヽ
  \\ do
   \( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    > ⌒ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\the
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\needful
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
ノ )  Lノ
(_/

collect your unemployment and talk to a lawyer.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Thanks, I didn't really understand the appeal process until now.

Godspeed man. As someone who recently collected unemployment and the job search I feel for you. I know this doesn't help your situation but sending good vibes your way.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I'll be surprised if I got unemployment benefits. Only time I was ever able to get that was after I did census work.

Then again, now I'm in Georgia and not Alabama. I know not much of an upgrade but gently caress Alabama.
Unless there is more to the story, you will get it.

Out of curiousity, how big was your organization? My HR department would never have let that fly.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

adorai posted:

Unless there is more to the story, you will get it.

Out of curiousity, how big was your organization? My HR department would never have let that fly.

It's about 30 people in the company.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've gotten over the shock and I already have everything in place to start hunting tomorrow.Thank God I made it to Atlanta before this happened. Only been here since November and I'm very enthusiastic about seeing the opportunities on the job boards so far.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Zapf Dingbat posted:

It's about 30 people in the company.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've gotten over the shock and I already have everything in place to start hunting tomorrow.Thank God I made it to Atlanta before this happened. Only been here since November and I'm very enthusiastic about seeing the opportunities on the job boards so far.

Just don't let yourself get discouraged or depressed. Job hunting sucks, it always seems to take longer than you want it to, and you will keep getting your hopes up and then dashed when something that looks AWESOME doesn't pan out. But interviews will start trickling in, and one of them will eventually make an offer.

Remember that you don't NEED to take the first offer! Always make a counter-offer, and if you don't feel great about the job or the pay, don't take it! Or if you have to take it because of finances, remember that you don't owe the company any loyalty and you can keep taking interviews while you work.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
I'm quoting some of the shittier moments you posted about these shitheels. I snipped and highlighted the important bits.

Zapf Dingbat's rear end in a top hat boss posted:

Penalties – We are going to define with everyone's help a list of infractions that will cost cold hard cash. For example the following things are unacceptable, put unnecessary strain on others, cost our company significant time and money, and will be penalized:

Unexcused absence from work (half or full day) - $150 per half day
Missing a mandatory company meeting (either in person or remote) - $100
Missing a scheduled conference call or customer interaction - $50
Using fowl [sic] language in front of customers - $25
Lying to another employee, shareholder or customer - $50

Rewards – [Company Name] points will be given as rewards. [Company Name] points can be given to any employee at any time by any member of the management team, or by any two employees who commonly agree the points are warranted. Any employee can receive up to 10 [Company Name] points per day. [Company Name] points can be used and traded in for cash or can be used to purchase performance units. This will be our feel good currency and we should nominate each other as much as possible for these points. We will also be setting up some static ways to earn points as well, like hitting certain goals.

Performance Units – All employees as a part of their standard benefits will be given and also be able to acquire Performance Units. The entire number of performance units will equal 10% of an equity share in [Company Name]. Performance units will be very valuable to you and your family in the event this company is sold, merges with another company, you retire or you become disabled. Performance units may also be paid out in other ways as well.

Zapf Dingbat's crazy boss posted:

Oh wow, the implications.
We're having our weekly meeting on Wednesday, so maybe we'll get some clarification on this craziness. He's shooting from the hip all the time, although never to this degree. Y'all are right, it may not stick, especially after some people tell him how dumb it is and why didn't you talk to someone else about it after sending some weird emotional email.

He ended the email talking about Christian values. Did I mention we're in the South? Our state probably has the least worker/employee protections in the country, so this is probably legal knowing us.

*snip* sent out over a holiday after he had been angry or emotional or whatever. *snip*

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Wow, it was late when I wrote that post. What I meant was that our services are not HIPAA compliant and we sell it to medical companies. Most don't think to ask whether they are. I've seen some evidence that the service provider bears some liability along with the customer for HIPAA.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I know this sounds like "tell me how to IT," but this is a company founded by a guy who never held an IT job, so he has nothing to go off of, and is somewhat of an emotional child. The saving grace is that the managers under him tend to be smart and decent people who can convince him to do things right or implement procedures independent of his input.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

My boss is starting a cryptocurrency mining thing, using our datacenter resources.
blockchains

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Yeah this whole place is a garbage place.

poo poo I hate about this place: I'm a subordinate to a 20-something family friend of the owner with no technical knowledge, and whose entire job consists of harassing us over Slack to look at a ticket. We can't seem to figure out how to do simple poo poo like Exchange or anything else with a shared calendar; we use our Google accounts. There's no process and no one is responsible for anything. There's no documentation. The owner is emotionally broke. They get butthurt when I try to work on projects that improve anything. Revenue seems based entirely on new sales rather than taking care of our existing customers.

poo poo I like about this place: They pay for my certs (got my CCENT and working on the second half). They let me move out of my garbage hometown to a real city and work from home. Supervision is lax so I can do just about whatever I want. They will hire complete noobs because they are a garbage place and it allowed me to get my foot in the door.

Gotta move on though.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Okay, another development about the company owner's weird cryptocurrency shenanigans in today's companywide meeting.

There was a year to date revenue report, and they marked $800k in enterprise equipment sales, $500k of which was to the cryptocurrency company that our boss is running.

Conversation between me and my manager:

Me: is it just me, or did they just count 500k in equipment sales to <crypto company>? Can we sell to ourselves?
Manager: We are not <CRYPTO COMPANY> and that is actual billed
Me: i was under the impression we were at least hosting the equipment. So are you saying <our company's owner> is a kind of a co investor?
Manager: <Our company's owner> is the owner of the company. He has quite a few investors that have dropped some serious cash in it. They will be hosted at <one of our data centers>.

Maybe I'm being too concerned and I just don't understand finance and business (which I don't). It's just that it makes me suspicious because nobody is announcing any of this to the employees. I only know about it because someone accidentally put a few documents in a publicly shared folder.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

My new ops manager to me today: "If the company owner wanted me to wash his car or cut his grass, I'd do it. You have to be a team player." This after I hinted I was looking for a more explicit "when are you expected to answer the phone" policy. I know I'm being kind of a Pollyanna but you gotta draw the limit somewhere, right?

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The CEO's new favorite pastime is to publicly berate his employees (me especially) on Slack who don't know how to do something in this hosed up environment.

Our problem is zero documentation. A couple of the higher ups may have a brainmap of how all the physical and logical infrastructure goes together, but the people on the ground find themselves lost from time to time.

For example, I'm talking with our tech on site of a beach condo that lost its fiber connection. He was in the area when it went down so *shrug* why not swing by. He logged into the router and sees that the fiber has a physical link but at some point in the past the OSPF neighbor on that link was lost. Well, given that we have no documentation on how this is put together I start to ask on Slack what's supposed to be on the other end of this link in layer 2 terms. I had an IP but all of our routers have their management IPs listed, not the IPs of each individual interface.

Well, the CEO gets wind of this and he's all:

"How to torubleshoot
Layer 1 = physical
Layer 2 = mac
Layer 3 = IP
We have layer 1
if we have no layer 2 then it is a [fiber provider] problem"

and I'm thinking, here we go again. This is why I don't fricking ask you. I was asking because if I knew which core router this was supposed to be on, I could check errors on the other side of it. Not that I have access to those routers, but I could ask an engineer to check.

Then he goes on about how to check LibreNMS for the information I needed, and I didn't need to log into the router in question. I mean, technically yes, but I didn't want to go on an investigation and just guessing and inferring what the problem might be, because the info in LibreNMS is pretty buried, and there's no syslog on there anyway. I'd end up having to ask the higher ups anyway.

This was only the latest example and pretty mild compared to other poo poo, where he goes on for paragraphs on "YOU PEOPLE SHOULD JUST USE YOUR TOOLS" (which we haven't fully implemented) to Sherlock Holmes our topology rather than just having it documented.

Zapf Dingbat's crazy boss posted:

Ops Manager:
Zapf Dingbat, can you call one of our techs and assist him with bridging two AP?

Zapf:
I'm off today

Ops Manager:
What? Who approved that?

Zapf:
It's my regular schedule
I'm working Sunday

Ops Manager:
So, in the time it took you to answer me you could have quickly assisted the tech.

Zapf:
from the dentist's office?

Ops Manager:
Not the point. Who sets your schedule?

Zapf:
it's a schedule that's been set for like a year now.... we have rotating weekend work

Ops Manager:
That's about to change.

Zapf:
ok then

Ops Manager:
Sorry to disturb you on your day off then.
While at the dentist getting root canal!

Zapf Dingbat posted:

We used to get paid for on call. Now we don't.

This is the aftermath of the chat log I posted where my ops manager didn't know we had rotating weekend work and said I should have worked when I told him I was off. So his threat came true, and now we're Monday through Friday, and we're "on call" a week at a time, and we don't get the extra pay we used to for that week.

This reminds me of a story one of the execs told us to put us in our place, when he was a bigwig for IBM back in the day, and he was about to sit down for Thanksgiving dinner when he got a call to get out the door and fly to Africa. So he put that turkey leg down and walked out.

Motherfucker we ain't getting paid like your rear end.

I'm tired of hearing from these company men and this work first attitude.

This:

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I asked in a public channel whether I was going to get paid for a second weekend.
Added to what Sickening succinctly stated:

Sickening posted:

If your boss is a unreasonable and/or irrational person,
confronting them head on isn't going to work in your favor. It just doesn't.

Even though you[Zapf] are 1000% in the right and were abused by this company.... That was like knowing the trigger words that would summon candyman or trigger a serial killer. Next time, next job. Don't ever answer these people unless its in person (and you can deny that it didn't come off any certain way.) and NEVER respond where it can be re-read over and over and over until the psychos whip themselves into an emotional frenzy. They were unstable as gently caress if what you posted here is even scratching the surface!

• This is coming from me, a man who was literally fired once picking up the wrong coffee mug in a breakroom, noticing my mistake, not using it and putting it back but not before being seen.
      • Contract terminated because I did what the client asked and when he got in trouble, he blamed the contractor saying he couldn't control me. (He wanted user ports shut off in conference rooms but he didn't clear it with executives)

You can't fix crazy.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ I didn’t make the connection that all of those were a single person.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jesus loving Christ they did you a favor by firing you. Count your blessings and move on! I'm sure you'll have another job very soon.

Also if you have any of this documented, I'm sure an employment lawyer would be very happy to hear about it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea holy poo poo dude be glad you managed to get out. You have experience now and if that was truly your first place to get your foot in the door you’re much better off somewhere else.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope you converted your [company name] points to Schrute bucks before you were let go.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

I hope you converted your [company name] points to Schrute bucks before you were let go.
I'd prefer my payout in Stanley Nickels.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Also Zapf Dingbat: if you didn't sign an NDA, you definitely should drop an anonymous HIPAA complaint.
The patients of those doctors likely need their personal health, billing, and other data protected.

That lawyer might be able to something for you about the other stuff if you backed up your email and other evidence.

If you have/had remote access make sure you tell them to terminate your access and all admin accounts and save that email. You do not want them saying it was you if something happens after being fired. Even if they leave the passwords the same and the accounts active at least you can prove you told them good security practice even if your accounts got "hacked".

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

I am Communist posted:

I'm quoting some of the shittier moments you posted about these shitheels. I snipped and highlighted the important bits.

This:

Yea holy poo poo dude

All of that quoted together is startling.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Uh I don't think a NDA can cover HIPPA violations (they're illegal after all) and while that MSP was bushleague I've never seen the "please terminate my access" ever. He's no longer responsible for their termination practice.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I am Communist posted:

Jesus effing christ I had forgotten I had been posting about it for that long. This really puts it in perspective. Thank you.

I am Communist posted:

Added to what Sickening succinctly stated:

Even though you[Zapf] are 1000% in the right and were abused by this company.... That was like knowing the trigger words that would summon candyman or trigger a serial killer. Next time, next job. Don't ever answer these people unless its in person (and you can deny that it didn't come off any certain way.) and NEVER respond where it can be re-read over and over and over until the psychos whip themselves into an emotional frenzy. They were unstable as gently caress if what you posted here is even scratching the surface!

• This is coming from me, a man who was literally fired once picking up the wrong coffee mug in a breakroom, noticing my mistake, not using it and putting it back but not before being seen.
      • Contract terminated because I did what the client asked and when he got in trouble, he blamed the contractor saying he couldn't control me. (He wanted user ports shut off in conference rooms but he didn't clear it with executives)

You can't fix crazy.

I was just thinking about something today. I moved to Atlanta in November of last year, and it's been downhill ever since then. Not necessarily because of my gently caress you attitude, but because I think if these people don't have eyes on me they go nuts. Like, say you walked in a physical office for a support job. Would it be as likely that someone would tell you to do something 30 minutes after you got off the clock? No, because look, Zapf's not there, and he's probably still driving home.

I'll take the triggering lovely people thing more seriously next time. My wife was telling me something along the same lines, that I'm whacking the wasp's nest by even responding, and I really thought I was toning it down because I realize I can be pretty obnoxious. Looks like I was wrong.

My firing has been very unpopular among the staff. I've had people text me and saying they're considering pulling the trigger on job offers they've had. They've seen how hosed I've been treated but they've been doing a better job at keeping their heads down. One person moved to Miami with her husband last year and works remotely like I did. She was recently "promoted" to Vice President of Sales with no raise, because she basically does all the work that a VP would do. It's also her first Sales job. Hours before I got fired I was on the phone with her telling her to leave. Doing her numbers and her duties would get her a great position in Miami.

So a day and a half of job hunting has been going pretty good. I've gotten a couple of pings from recruiters and "let's make sure you are a human being" calls. Nothing substantial, but it's a hell of a lot better than trying to find a job in Alabama. I feel like the product of domestic abuse, always having to stick with an employer that beats me down because gently caress you, it's Alabama. It's either keep this job or go back down to the Bayou to pick crabs or something. Ever since the recession hit I've been floating around, putting my wife through hell trying to stay employed and emotionally stable. I don't know how long I would have stuck with this job if I hadn't gotten fired. I always felt like it was going to be the loving black hole I'm always used to throwing my resume into.

But so far, I'm actually seeing things I can see myself doing, and not just lovely help desk. I had to throw my resume together, but here's a snippet of what I was getting paid $40k to do at this hell job:

code:
Tier II Support Technician  Sep 2015 – Present
-  Close 60 support tickets per month not solvable by the Tier I help desk
- Support issues include: VoIP, PSTN issues, switching and routing of enterprise networks, end-user
WiFi problems, core and metro network routing, wireless P2P connections, ISP connectivity, MDS,
PCI and legal security compliance, email.
-  Assist in colo work: mounting routers and servers, running and organizing cable, consoling into
equipment for basic setup.
-  Lead for VoIP setups of new installs, including call flow, porting DIDs, and provisioning phones.
-  Implemented migration of 30 clients from FreePBX to MirtaPBX multinode system, including
custom provisioning of 5 VoIP device brands.
-  Documented and maintained Layers 1, 2 and 3 topologies in company knowledge base.
-  Launched adoption of project management software and procedures.
-  Roll out to troubleshoot clients on-site as backup to road techs.
-  Work rotating on-call weeks to ensure customers were served after hours.
Maybe I could work that into some kind of network tech or admin role, I don't know.

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 30, 2018

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Uh I don't think a NDA can cover HIPPA violations

If I remember my HIPAA training correctly this is a true statement. There are protections for whistleblowers but I don't remember all the details.

If you really think there was a violation of the rules, you should really consider filing a complaint. Don't do it out of spite, do it because it's the right thing to do.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/index.html

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Uh I don't think a NDA can cover HIPPA violations (they're illegal after all) and while that MSP was bushleague I've never seen the "please terminate my access" ever. He's no longer responsible for their termination practice.

True about the terminate access practice. I used to work in IT at a hospital where my parents were seen by doctors . So I did have a vested interest in that dumpster fire of an IT department to close the loop so to speak.

Why I also send a reminder that I am going to forget all about them(whatever poo poo company it was) and anything they do or don't do is on them: It's terrifying to think an admin account with my name on it could be bilking grandmothers out of their cash, taking credit card info, or stealing children's social security numbers.

Maybe its just so I feel better. By all means that poo poo company of Dingbat's deserves whatever they get, I just don't think their clients or the patients do.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 30, 2018

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Zapf Dingbat posted:

But so far, I'm actually seeing things I can see myself doing, and not just lovely help desk. I had to throw my resume together, but here's a snippet of what I was getting paid $40k to do at this hell job:

code:
Tier II Support Technician  Sep 2015 – Present
-  Close 60 support tickets per month not solvable by the Tier I help desk
- Support issues include: VoIP, PSTN issues, switching and routing of enterprise networks, end-user
WiFi problems, core and metro network routing, wireless P2P connections, ISP connectivity, MDS,
PCI and legal security compliance, email.
-  Assist in colo work: mounting routers and servers, running and organizing cable, consoling into
equipment for basic setup.
-  Lead for VoIP setups of new installs, including call flow, porting DIDs, and provisioning phones.
-  Implemented migration of 30 clients from FreePBX to MirtaPBX multinode system, including
custom provisioning of 5 VoIP device brands.
-  Documented and maintained Layers 1, 2 and 3 topologies in company knowledge base.
-  Launched adoption of project management software and procedures.
-  Roll out to troubleshoot clients on-site as backup to road techs.
-  Work rotating on-call weeks to ensure customers were served after hours.
Maybe I could work that into some kind of network tech or admin role, I don't know.

Make sure to detail what tech you worked with specifically, a lot of lazy recruiters just end up searching "cisco" rather than a more generic term. Whether those same recruiters would have decent opportunities is another question.

Also, if the company ever did penalize you on missing meetings and such, it may be worth a quick discussion with an employment lawyer with regards to the legality of that, especially considering possible difference in state laws between Alabama and Georgia.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Hey man, This is a blessing in disguise! This was a poo poo job. I got fired from a poo poo job like this too when I first started but I was able to walk into a better job and be much happier. Don't even sweat it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't know what the job market is like there but to me that looks like a job that should pay at least double what you were being paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. I also didn't make that connection that all that was a single guy. Honestly. Seconding that this is a blessing in disguise. There are many way better jobs out there.
Keep applying and don't let it get you down.

Edit: I had a poo poo job too a few years ago. but I eventually quit. At 1st it felt scary but then it started to feel like a heavy burden was off my shoulders. I finished school and landed a way better job.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 31, 2018