Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I don't actually know poo poo about criminal practice but a 27% acquittal rate sounds fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Discendo Vox posted:

I really appreciate all of this. In the (admittedly unlikely) possibility that this recommendation pulls through and I wind up in some sort of senior information/knowledge management position (despite having last done a sharepoint prep integration like a decade ago), I'll do my best to put it to good use.

As partial repayment, please have a recently posted submission to the Comic Strips thread, from "Pros and Cons"

The joke is supposed to be that he's a bad/dishonest lawyer.

That's not the joke. He's a lovely person, but he's a good criminal defense attorney. The joke is that 27% would otherwise be a really bad conviction rate but since almost all of his clients are guilty, the fact that he gets more than 1 in 4 off is remarkable.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

algebra testes posted:

While discussing a very serious very bad criminal offense I stood up and farted, by accident, In a room full of my colleagues.

Anyway how you doin?

Edit: those comics are occasionally devistatingly on point

its a power move, youve now established dominance

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't actually know poo poo about criminal practice but a 27% acquittal rate sounds fantastic.

It's drat near mythological.

Anyway, thought I'd share this before I forget, this autumn's pickings from around the ol' cabin, it's lingonberries and Chanterelle mushrooms.

I also made a DIY thread and I'm gonna post about the cabin building process and details and stuff more there so I'm not constantly making GBS threads down this thread with the boring minutiae of working your wood.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 30, 2018

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
And
This is part of the waterfall garden I’m working on at the new house.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Abugadu posted:

And
This is part of the waterfall garden I’m working on at the new house.

That already looks gorgeous. Do you have a natural stream running through your property? That has amazing potential.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Vox Nihili posted:

Depends. Are you including pleas in your conviction rate?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

Depends. Are you including pleas in your conviction rate?

I wouldn't. A plea is an admission of guilt and equivalent to a passed sentence. Well, at least for us. We even have a prosecution's waiver, which is where the prosecution says "you're guilty and this goes on your record, but we defer all punishment" which means that as long as you don't demand a trial, you are now guilty of this crime for the purposes of register of criminal convictions, civil liability and so forth. I wouldn't even call that an acquittal. Criminal guilt is formally established even then.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
But what if the plea was procured by liberal application of torture? :confused:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alexeythegreat posted:

But what if the plea was procured by liberal application of torture? :confused:

Ahem enhanced interrogation.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ahem. Waterboarding = baptizing with freedom.

(And also loving stupid and more drama than it’s worth)

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Where I come from it's just called an interrogation

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Where you're from, "being thrown out of a window and onto a spiked iron fence by two FSB goons" is called "suicide"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Also being beaten to death by eight prison guards is called a "heart attack"

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That's not even the half of it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
t/f: russians mostly do not wear seatbelts because it's better to just die if you get into an accident.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's not the joke. He's a lovely person, but he's a good criminal defense attorney. The joke is that 27% would otherwise be a really bad conviction rate but since almost all of his clients are guilty, the fact that he gets more than 1 in 4 off is remarkable.

That would be a reasonable interpretation, but the running joke of the comic strip is both that a) his clients are scum b) he is scum c) he is really incompetent. That’s why I wound up including the explanatory line at the end of the post, it’s opposite of reality.jpg. All the negative traits flow backwards from him being a defense attorney.

The comic’s got a trumpy throughline that’s most visible with the detective.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 30, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm glad you read that so we don't have to.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I just got a subpoena.

From opposing counsel.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

I just got a subpoena.

From opposing counsel.

:thunk:

Well at least they are really really sure you're gonna be there.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

I just got a subpoena.

From opposing counsel.

It feels good to be wanted.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

There’s stuff they want that I’m not obligated to give them because it’s a habeas and I’m the defendant. I’ve told them who they need to subpoena. Repeatedly. I am literally going home now to see how my kid liked her first day of kindergarten because my head exploded from the dumb.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I subbed the head of a law enforcement organization because what they were doing was dumb, systematic, and illegal. It went away, but my boss got angry calls.
10/10 would do again, but make sure you can actually justify it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Well that I can see.

Opposing counsel though.

Opposing counsel.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

There’s stuff they want that I’m not obligated to give them because it’s a habeas and I’m the defendant. I’ve told them who they need to subpoena. Repeatedly. I am literally going home now to see how my kid liked her first day of kindergarten because my head exploded from the dumb.

Alaska disbars people who gently caress with subpoenas. If you want the cite to our caselaw let me know! And gently caress those guys!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

Well that I can see.

Opposing counsel though.

Opposing counsel.

don't you not need a subpoena for getting information from a party opponent

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

ActusRhesus posted:

I just got a subpoena.

From opposing counsel.

There was a slightly unethical firm in Chicago that subpoenaed itself. I.e., Firm sued company A, company A produced documents to Firm, Firm settled with company A. Firm then sues company B, decides it wanted company A's documents, so Firm issued a subpoena in the case against Company B to Firm itself seeking Company A's documents. Yes, they were sanctioned, though I can't seem to find the order.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

don't you not need a subpoena for getting information from a party opponent

Party? Possibly depending on the circumstances.

Not their lawyer personally.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

hi law thread. if I've accepted an offer from my 2L summer job, is my only remaining goal to take the easiest classes possible and coast through 3L? or is it actually worthwhile to take black-letter law classes?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Valentin posted:

hi law thread. if I've accepted an offer from my 2L summer job, is my only remaining goal to take the easiest classes possible and coast through 3L? or is it actually worthwhile to take black-letter law classes?

pretty much. take anything that (a) looks interesting; (b) looks easy as poo poo; (c) will make studying for the bar exam easier

the only exception would be is if you got put in a practice area you're not super familiar with. had i known i would be a bankruptcy lawyer, i probably would have taken a bankruptcy class!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

evilweasel posted:

pretty much. take anything that (a) looks interesting; (b) looks easy as poo poo; (c) will make studying for the bar exam easier

the only exception would be is if you got put in a practice area you're not super familiar with. had i known i would be a bankruptcy lawyer, i probably would have taken a bankruptcy class!

If there is something on the bar that you have never taken, and your eyes glaze over when someone talks about it, might be helpful to take it. Trusts and Estates and Business Associations especially are pretty dense to learn in a month and a half.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gvibes posted:

There was a slightly unethical firm in Chicago that subpoenaed itself. I.e., Firm sued company A, company A produced documents to Firm, Firm settled with company A. Firm then sues company B, decides it wanted company A's documents, so Firm issued a subpoena in the case against Company B to Firm itself seeking Company A's documents. Yes, they were sanctioned, though I can't seem to find the order.

I can't understand this at all, why would they do that?

As to AR's case they must want to have her present on trial so they can demand to put her on the stand and testify about all her vile deeds instead of having an underling show up and claim no knowledge

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

As to AR's case they must want to have her present on trial so they can demand to put her on the stand and testify about all her vile deeds instead of having an underling show up and claim no knowledge

I assume because the documents were confidential and were supposed to be returned or destroyed when the first case was over, not just retained by the firm. If you want the documents again you gotta subpoena company A again.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mastershakeman posted:

It is easier to subpoena yourself than a third party?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Gotcha

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Valentin posted:

Take whatever easy classes that give you a schedule with the most free time available so you can do all the fun poo poo you’re gonna miss when you go graduation to studying the bar to being a first year associate

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Oh poo poo, I did sub a DA once. He interviewed a witness without an investigator present and I wanted him to impeach her.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

Take whatever easy classes that give you a schedule with the most free time available so you can do all the fun poo poo you’re gonna miss when you go graduation to studying the bar to being a first year associate

yeah 3L year is going to be your last sustained period of stress-free goofing off until you retire

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

nm posted:

Oh poo poo, I did sub a DA once. He interviewed a witness without an investigator present and I wanted him to impeach her.

Also legit. And why you’re dumb if you interview witnesses alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

nm posted:

lol :drat: and looks like CA rules make prior inconsistent statements easier to admit than consistent ones.