Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jan posted:

I mean, we're already way past the point of no return and anything we do now is just going to make our kids different levels of hosed, so why bother?

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't even care about the $5 billion, really. If it's just money being pissed away and not a 7x increase of tankers IN MY BACKYARD I can live with it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Me: I believe in emissions controls and funding to transition away from fossil fuels
Also me: You can't snap your fingers and have no more fossil fuel needs
Still also me somehow: We should be spending billions of dollars investing in long-term fossil fuel infrastructure to ensure we can keep pumping it long after the point where either we're all dead or there's no longer any demand for fossil fuels

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

I hate everyone on both sides of this debate and also myself for bothering to read about it.

just come back tomorrow it'll be back to beer and wildlife chat

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

THC posted:

I don't even care about the $5 billion, really. If it's just money being pissed away and not a 7x increase of tankers IN MY BACKYARD I can live with it

Good news the federal government is doubling down and powering through despite the judgement. gently caress you Trudeau.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jan posted:

I mean, we're already way past the point of no return and anything we do now is just going to make our kids different levels of hosed, so why bother?

I don't want my kids to be commless Breeders in the next Season, that's why.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Good news the federal government is doubling down and powering through despite the judgement. gently caress you Trudeau.

Is that true? Is the government obligated to buy it at this point, or can they still walk away? I mean, they won't walk away because that would lead to even more uncertainly for business, but could they?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Is that true? Is the government obligated to buy it at this point, or can they still walk away? I mean, they won't walk away because that would lead to even more uncertainly for business, but could they?

Morneau says they are absolutely committed: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tasker-trans-mountain-federal-court-appeals-1.4804495

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Morneau just said they remain committed to the project despite the court ruling

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

vyelkin posted:

Me: I believe in emissions controls and funding to transition away from fossil fuels
Also me: You can't snap your fingers and have no more fossil fuel needs
Still also me somehow: We should be spending billions of dollars investing in long-term fossil fuel infrastructure to ensure we can keep pumping it long after the point where either we're all dead or there's no longer any demand for fossil fuels

I mean I can't tell if you're quoting me or federal liberal, PC, probably NDP, ANDP policies

Maybe I'm cynical but I don't see a practical path to stopping the climate change path we're on; if a major government ever took radical steps towards a solution they'd be hung in the streets within weeks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mila kunis posted:

Any good guides to the candidates in the toronto municipal election?

The Star had some profiles but everything is hosed since Bill 5 was ratified and half the candidates aren't even registered any more.

You can use this site to figure out what ward you're in and who is registered to run there.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Why the gently caress is anyone pro-pipeline even if they are pro-oil and gas. We buy refined petroleum on the international market so if we send the crude out of country to be refined the net result is we're sending money out of country for no gain.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm cynical and don't see a practical path towards halting or reversing climate change too but I sure as gently caress don't post to defend oil and gas.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

BattleMaster posted:

Why the gently caress is anyone pro-pipeline even if they are pro-oil and gas. We buy refined petroleum on the international market so if we send the crude out of country to be refined the net result is we're sending money out of country for no gain.

Because building refinery capacity is also very complex and not economically feasible generally

Also looks like there was a shooting at Yorkdale mall, my friend got evacuated just now

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Wilhelm posted:

Maybe I'm cynical but I don't see a practical path to stopping the climate change path we're on; if a major government ever took radical steps towards a solution they'd be hung in the streets within weeks

So this, but unironically?

Jan posted:

e: :ironicat:

Shocker.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

Same. Idgaf what the libs want to blow $5b on. If this came without the tanker traffic increase right loving in Burrard Inlet I'd care a lot less.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same. Idgaf what the libs want to blow $5b on. If this came without the tanker traffic increase right loving in Burrard Inlet I'd care a lot less.

So currently there's 50 tankers/year and it would go to ~400/year. Going off the port of Vancouver's site; Rotterdam sees about 8,200/year and Singapore 22,000.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wilhelm posted:

Because building refinery capacity is also very complex and not economically feasible generally

Also looks like there was a shooting at Yorkdale mall, my friend got evacuated just now

Less economically-feasible than this pipeline boondoggle though?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wilhelm posted:

So currently there's 50 tankers/year and it would go to ~400/year. Going off the port of Vancouver's site; Rotterdam sees about 8,200/year and Singapore 22,000.

You're an idiot. Rotterdam and Singapore are not extremely fragile and sensitive natural environments containing critically endangered species.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Less economically-feasible than this pipeline boondoggle though?

No, this boondoggle is also a disaster and while the federal government was probably hosed no matter what they somehow picked probably the worst possible outcome.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just build the Mackenzie Valley pipeline as an oil pipeline instead, and shift the tanker traffic outside of the enviroment. Problem solved.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wilhelm posted:

A coastal LNG leak/spill would become methane extremely quickly, any impacted area would be very very small and be gone in minutes. This isn't a field you have any education or experience in is it?

The risks associated with methane vapour clouds from LNG leaks are well known and taken seriously by the industry. Specifically the risks associated with their combustion, because it is a very real and dangerous hazard.

Do you really work the field or are you just pretending so you can sound cool on the internet?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jan posted:

e: :ironicat:

Jokes on you, I'm never having kids. Enjoy your future wasteland, future suckers!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Wilhelm posted:

I thought every single tanker coming in was getting brought in by tugboats specific to Vancouver's port areas? Thus negating the pilot error thing.

Last year, the Globe and Mail put a reporter onto a tanker that filled up at the current terminal and headed out to sea.
Words: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...rticle35070386/
Interactive: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/kinder-morgan-trans-mountain-pipeline-bc-coast/article35043172/

Wilhelm posted:

A coastal LNG leak/spill would become methane extremely quickly, any impacted area would be very very small and be gone in minutes.
This comment strikes me as really weird. Natural gas is what, 95% or more CH4? (AKA methane), with the remainder mostly very similar stuff like ethane and propane. So a major spill of LNG would simply be a rapid boiling of a whole lot of methane, blowing out of whatever hole got punched through the storage vessel. So it wouldn't "become methane", it is methane, just in liquid form because it's at very low temperature. A big enough hole would spill very cold liquid methane out, which if it happened at sea would become a large puddle, rapidly boiling because of the large surface area in contact with water more than 160 degrees warmer. Some would dissolve in the seawater, but most would enter the atmosphere pretty quickly.

Methane is heavier than air (especially still-cold, recently boiled methane) so it would form an invisible cloud near the spill or leak. At atmospheric pressure and mixed with normal air, it's explosive at concentrations between 4.4 and 17%. I'm trying to imagine a spill that did not happen pretty close to some source of heat, flame, or spark. Even if it doesn't go bang, it can simply displace enough oxygen to suffocate anybody (or any other air-breathing animal) nearby. A few thousand litres of LNG turns into enough gas to hang around for at least a few minutes, long enough to kill any person nearby. The edge of the cloud, slowly dissolving into the atmosphere, is going to have a big, fat volume in three dimensions inside that explosive-danger zone, probably for hours. Diffusion of gases in gases is pretty fast, yes, but we're not talking about somebody blowing out the pilot light on a stove, this is a truckload of liquid all over Wreck Beach.

I work with methane at atmospheric concentrations, I study greenhouse gas processes in soils. About 1/3 of my PhD was methane, but I admit I have no experience of large volumes of methane under the kinds of conditions (very high concentration, very low temperature) that would be prevailing in a LNG-tanker spill.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Rotterdam and Singapore are not extremely fragile and sensitive natural environments containing critically endangered species.
Wait, what? Singapore is a tropical biodiversity hotspot surrounded by narrow seas subject to storms, pirates, and hostile states throwing bombs at each other. Rotterdam isn't a coral reef, true, but the North Sea is not exactly completely devoid of fish and other natural resources that a few hundred million Europeans seem to be fond of.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Methane is heavier than air (especially still-cold, recently boiled methane) so it would form an invisible cloud near the spill or leak. At atmospheric pressure and mixed with normal air, it's explosive at concentrations between 4.4 and 17%. I'm trying to imagine a spill that did not happen pretty close to some source of heat, flame, or spark. Even if it doesn't go bang, it can simply displace enough oxygen to suffocate anybody (or any other air-breathing animal) nearby. A few thousand litres of LNG turns into enough gas to hang around for at least a few minutes, long enough to kill any person nearby. The edge of the cloud, slowly dissolving into the atmosphere, is going to have a big, fat volume in three dimensions inside that explosive-danger zone, probably for hours. Diffusion of gases in gases is pretty fast, yes, but we're not talking about somebody blowing out the pilot light on a stove, this is a truckload of liquid all over Wreck Beach.

Would the cloud cause long-term environmental damage though? I'll admit I'm probably ignorant on this point; but my understanding was that a 'worst-case' event would probably kill the ship's crew and cause a decent radius fish-kill; but nothing along the lines of an Exxon-Valdez type catastrophe. I should have specified.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wilhelm posted:

Would the cloud cause long-term environmental damage though? I'll admit I'm probably ignorant on this point; but my understanding was that a 'worst-case' event would probably kill the ship's crew and cause a decent radius fish-kill; but nothing along the lines of an Exxon-Valdez type catastrophe. I should have specified.

Am I correct in assuming you heard about this 'worst-case' event form somebody else who's paycheck depends on the LNG industry?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't know. I *think* the methane (that didn't burn) would need to be polymerised to something less likely to boil off, or otherwise form a chemical complex (clathrates?) and stick around. It's not particularly toxic to most life, and I don't know of any methanotrophs (methane-eating bacteria) that are also pathogenic or otherwise dangerous.

The thing is, a fire and explosion is very likely from a large spill. So I imagine there is very little stopping a medium-sized spill becoming a big spill as the fire enlarges the hole in the vessel, then the explosion blows open the other tanks on board the ship, which then ALSO explode. Would this chain reaction come close to something like the Halifax explosion? Methane isn't an explosive in the same category as what the SS Mont-Blanc was carrying, but a decent sized LNG tanker is also a much bigger ship: Mont-Blanc had a gross tonnage of 3121 tonnes, The Al Hamla, a "Q-Flex" LNG carrier, is currently just east of Singapore and has a gross tonnage of 136410 tonnes.

https://photos.marinetraffic.com/ais/showphoto.aspx?photoid=248778

Imagine that going kablooey after ramming one of the bridge supports for the Lionsgate. Large explosions and city-wide fires do tend to have a bit of an environmental impact.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Massive nuclear expansion would be the most sensible energy plan.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Massive nuclear expansion would be the most sensible energy plan.

Tbqh blowing up Vancouver would be doing God's work.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Reince Penis posted:

Am I correct in assuming you heard about this 'worst-case' event form somebody else who's paycheck depends on the LNG industry?

I've done grad courses more specialized in subsurface contamination (mostly for things like PCB oils, solvents, coal tar etc) and have worked in direct O&G contracting, but also on the consulting side for environmental remediation - I'm certainly not specialized in this subject but I have some tangential background to the industry.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I finished up that book "Clearing the Plains", the author actually mirrors what i said in that effortpost, that Macdonald were largely guided by his indifference to their suffering, although Macdonald and Dewdney were also horrible assholes who were directly responsible for over a century of suffering on reserves, withholding food to punish and subjugate without consideration for the relationship between malnutrition and disease. It's loving shameful that there is so little political will to correct centuries old problems. It's all still happening. We are still culpable. The conservatives would still starve the same vulnerable group for entirely the same reasons. The Liberals are apologizing for some of the harm done, while continuing to do harm a future government will have to apologize for.

The book also highlighted the climate's role in the multiple epidemics and famines that hit the plains, talking about 15 year long droughts, The 1257 Samalas eruption that brought an end to the medieval warm period, the year without summer caused by the 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora, the explosion of Krakatoa in 1883 causing harsh winters for the following 5 years, the black winter, a year without snow. Everybody talks about the current drought/forest fires being "the new normal" but it seems there has never been a normal.

I think it's clear with climate change, there are 2 extremely important sides of it we have to address. The first obviously our contribution to the changing climate, which is being addressed albeit extremely slowly and with extreme resistance from the right. The second is preparation for rapid shifts in climate that will happen, are 100% guaranteed to happen, and may already be happening. A large volcanic eruption could cause global crop failures, and impede our ability to grow anything for a decade. We're here bickering about delivering oil to a terminal that will be below sea level in our lifetimes. There should be no political resistance to saying "this has happened before, and will happen again, we should prepare" but if there is, i can imagine who it would come from. Now the question is, will we ever have a government willing to say "we need to spend $1 billion today so we don't have to spend $1 trillion tomorrow".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wilhelm posted:

I don't know poo poo about methane chemistry, but what happens if the leak/explosion occurs just off the terminal, or under the Lionsgate bridge?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

We saw what happened when the government spent $10M now to avoid spending $30M soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know poo poo about methane chemistry, but what happens if the leak/explosion occurs just off the terminal, or under the Lionsgate bridge?

CI would call that a divine blessing.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Don't worry, the Liberals have found a way to cancel Trans Mountain using math:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So apparently the Ontario government is requiring universities to create speech codes with insane and stupid penalties if, in effect, students inconvenience insane idiots speaking on campus.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Apparently the government can cancel the Trans Mountain purchase for a 10 million dollar penalty.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

people saying Alberta should cut off oil shipments until they get what they want are like a toddler refusing to eat or holding his breath until he turns blue

only we don't have a legal responsibility to keep him alive and wouldn't feel all that bad if he died

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat I wish Alberta would cut off oil shipments. Yes please, the entire national goal should be to shut down the tar sands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LNG was going to be near Kitimat and a spill/explosion would have just killed the nearby native village. Hence the lack of concern. :negative:

The problem with the Vancouver pipeline is that the 2nd Narrows bridge is quite narrow for the current generation of tankers. When there is a leak, that oil isn't going anywhere.

e: correct small town