Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
WILD-1

Looks great! What auction house did this come through and what did they grade the interior? It looks like it's in really nice shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
USS Yokohama

Graded it a C for some reason

3.5 overall grade

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Nice that there's a button to keep the toaster pre-heated. Good for road snacks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KakerMix posted:

Yeah that's a Mazdaspeed version, that's stock. Those ones received that bumper, spoiler, hood, limited slip diff, single color paint (lower section the same as the upper), those wheels and I believe specific seats and steering wheel. Also a tunable suspension.

TIL.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Nice that there's a button to keep the toaster pre-heated. Good for road snacks.

Unfortunately it's just the glow plugs light. Turn the key, wait for that light to go off, turn the truck on. It isn't even a button :(
Suppose if it were cold out I'd have to wait for more than 2-3 seconds but here in the sub-tropics it's a non-issue.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KakerMix posted:

Unfortunately it's just the glow plugs light. Turn the key, wait for that light to go off, turn the truck on. It isn't even a button :(
Suppose if it were cold out I'd have to wait for more than 2-3 seconds but here in the sub-tropics it's a non-issue.

Yeah, I figured it was glow plugs or block heater or something. Lame that it's not even a real button, though.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

everdave posted:

Prado is at port in Japan

Needs the vanity plate "DES"

Get it? DES PRADO :v:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Drivers seat looks like it’s done more than 24,000km? Massive fan of 2 tone brown though

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Drivers seat looks like it’s done more than 24,000km? Massive fan of 2 tone brown though

Won't know till everdave gets the export certificate that will usually have "x mileage in 20xx" to help establish what the mileage actually is. According to what he was told the gauge cluster has been replaced (but why??) and the mileage was marked as unverified on the auction sheet because of that. It absolutely has more than 24000km on it because that driver's seat looks suspiciously like my almost-200km Prado's seat, just mine is gray vs. brown. I can also see a timing belt sticker under the hood that looks like it's been there a while. The pictures are too small to tell really, but the steering wheel will give it away too because the crackled-like pattern on the surface will wear away. Spot a cigarette burn on the driver's seat crotch area too, hopefully it is nothing like my Pajero. :ohdear:

InitialDave posted:

How much room do you have? The Bosch P2058 I use is 2.5" tall.

That one would probably work great, the one on it now is maybe about 2.75" tall, the one I was trying to put on it is about 3.25".

According to that Bosch there are lots of other alternatives so I'll have to dive in. Thanks for the suggestion!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 27, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Can't make money (or go bankrupt) without taking a risk!

So just say I didn't say anything about mileage what do you think I can get for it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Can't make money (or go bankrupt) without taking a risk!

So just say I didn't say anything about mileage what do you think I can get for it?

Even with 200km on it that's only 125k miles which is dick-all for a diesel Toyota are you kidding me.
Assuming the pictures are honest and if it doesn't need anything I'd guess 12-13k? Maybe? Like I've said a bunch it's outside of what I'd bid on so I couldn't say for certain.

I got my automatic 4 door Pajero to sell to, in my mind, a dad/mom that wants a family car but wants something a little unique. A Pajero is a blocky, hood-scoopin' turbo diesel no-frills-no-nonsense-deal type truck that Jeeps used to fulfill. I see it as a toy that can be used that's way outside the norm without being alien. I imagine a Prado Land Cruiser could do that too, it's just the barrier to entry is much higher on a Prado vs. a Pajero.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Sweet. It’s going to be in my driveway plated for $10 or less so I feel better. Majesta wasn’t can confirmed but export cert backed it up thankfully.

everdave fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 27, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

That one would probably work great, the one on it now is maybe about 2.75" tall, the one I was trying to put on it is about 3.25".

According to that Bosch there are lots of other alternatives so I'll have to dive in. Thanks for the suggestion!

Going to order this DONALDSON (lol) one and see if it will spin on

EDIT
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-toyota-hilux-surf/

Auction is live!~

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 28, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

This thing looks cool as gently caress and has a possibility of going low because it's a Nissan instead of a Toyota. Won't ever know the sold price because of USS but still. Rad.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

This thing looks cool as gently caress and has a possibility of going low because it's a Nissan instead of a Toyota. Won't ever know the sold price because of USS but still. Rad.

I’ve got 125 on it poo poo man anyone else bidding? I’ve bid this is crazy. I guess we are kind of feeling out the cool weird stuff. I bid hours ago

I can post translation on this one tomorrow if anyone cares

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I’ve got 125 on it poo poo man anyone else bidding? I’ve bid this is crazy. I guess we are kind of feeling out the cool weird stuff. I bid hours ago

I can post translation on this one tomorrow if anyone cares

Nah I'm not bidding, just easing back into my routine since the Surf is up on BaT.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ll let you know and update the sheet when it finals. But yeah I’m on it. Got translations on 5-6 tonight this van my only bid.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

everdave posted:

I’ll let you know and update the sheet when it finals. But yeah I’m on it. Got translations on 5-6 tonight this van my only bid.

Curious: how many of you guys can read katakana? It's a boon for working on/looking at Japanese cars as much of the stuff is an English term rendered phonetically, rather than literally translated into Japanese and written in kanji/hiragana.

You can probably grab an app for your phone and pick it up in several weeks of semi-dedicated study (or several months of pooping at work). It took me inside a month of brute-force memorising it in the margins of my notebook my junior year of high school during my boring classes.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 29, 2018

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Do I need to log in, or am I right in my conclusion that there are no bids yet?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

bolind posted:

You need to log in but we won’t know it’s not up til tonight or tomorrow. USS auctions won’t show final price when it happens. I’ll know on the van bc I have a bid on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bolind posted:

It doesn't work like that. The auctions 'churn', they flip up, all prepared bids are placed, seconds later it ends, it moves on to the next vehicle. Bidding on this is all preparation then waiting for them to come up in the cycle. We as bidders place bids and then wait for whoever we are working with to tell us if we won or not, sometimes hours after the auction ends.

After this the winning bid (if there is one) is displayed along with "SOLD" and the price it went for, or if there was no winning bid it will say "NOT SOLD" sometimes anyway. USS auctions (like this one) are not ones that show the final bid so unless everdave wins it we won't know what it sold for.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I raised bid to 175. Unless I see something the next few hours I’ve got a bid on this but then I’m going out of town next 4-5 days. I’m just going to tell them load the Prado and get it on the way.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any similar auction resource I can use for japanese motorcycles? I would love to get a 1990 honda cbr250 from where they arent even remotely rare

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Fauxtool posted:

Is there any similar auction resource I can use for japanese motorcycles? I would love to get a 1990 honda cbr250 from where they arent even remotely rare

I wondered this a while back, so I Googled "import Japan motorcycles", and it took me to a site that claim to be Japan's number one motorcycle exporter yada yada, but they didn't have any sort of catalog.

E: http://www.usedmotorcyclesjapan.co.jp/feature/export?lang=en
And I forgot about http://motorcycle.goobike.com/ which is searchable

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 29, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Unfortunately, RVF400 prices would end up more than already imported ones once you take everything into account :(
http://motorcycle.goobike.com/motorcycle/bike/honda__rvf400/summary.html

e: Actually, prices are pretty much higher for everything

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlackMK4 posted:

Unfortunately, RVF400 prices would end up more than already imported ones once you take everything into account :(

none of those are 1993 or earlier. do the same rules not apply for motorcycles?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fauxtool posted:

none of those are 1993 or earlier. do the same rules not apply for motorcycles?

I have no idea but it might not, there is zero difference between a JDM motorcycle and a USDM on in the sense of controls. Is there such thing as safety?
EPA would still be a thing I guess but????

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A lot of them are on the NHTSA eligible vehicle list.

e: Guess I should say some, not a lot :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 29, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah cool according to this list that bike is ok up to 2000

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/10/24/2017-22692/list-of-nonconforming-vehicles-decided-to-be-eligible-for-importation

How much did the OP pay for their az-1's or how much do you think I should pay for one?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 30, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The only thing I can think of that would be different on a JDM bike would be a headlight switch, and I'm not sure they even do that anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Back when i was in Japan I had a GSXR750 that I wanted to bring back with me, but I would have had to change all the lights and IIRC the tires (not DOT or something) and some other poo poo to the point I said gently caress it I'll just buy another bike when I get back to the US which is what i did.

[e] this was in the early 90's and is what I was told at the time, and I don't know if any of that applies now

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 30, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Nissan Safari looks pretty cool

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-06zN4e8LL4hCb2a.htm

Also this Sunny truck is pretty badass. I'd be tempted to get one of the ridiculously modified Japanese cars or trucks for myself sometime as bad of an idea as that probably is.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lwW7sbwkrduMmrg.htm

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Snowy posted:

I'd be tempted to get one of the ridiculously modified Japanese cars or trucks for myself sometime as bad of an idea as that probably is.

Buy a shinto hearse, it's like the one thing Kaker doesn't seem willing to go for despite the fact they are awesome.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

BlackMK4 posted:

Goobike's English page used to jack up the price vs the Japanese one for some reason, not sure if that's still the case.

Apex Moto in Yamanashi Prefecture will buy a bike for you on Yahoo Auctions for a very reasonable fee, not sure how/if they're equipped to handle export though. Highly recommend if you're looking to rent a bike in Japan.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fermented Tinal posted:

Buy a shinto hearse, it's like the one thing Kaker doesn't seem willing to go for despite the fact they are awesome.

I love those so much! Anyone know offhand which models I should be searching for to see the most hearses?

A few months ago when one popped up in this thread I was showing the pictures around at work but almost nobody thought they looked amazingly cool. “Ehh the front end is a little plain”- I work with some boring dorks.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

I love this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Snowy posted:

I love those so much! Anyone know offhand which models I should be searching for to see the most hearses?

Why bother buying anything that's not a Toyota Century?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why bother buying anything that's not a Toyota Century?

I think you mean 20B JC Cosmo. (I will never understand why there was ever a 13B version)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

I think you mean 20B JC Cosmo. (I will never understand why there was ever a 13B version)

I don't think they ever made a JC Cosmo Shinto funeral car, but I'd sure like to see one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok dumb question-what is the point of the ABCD lists on JCD if the cars are cleared from it as soon as an auction is over? Is it really just for cars you might buy without providing any way to keep track later? Seems like you just have to bookmark the url to have any chance of seeing the auction results.