Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

redeyes posted:

That is subjective and they feel like cancer to my fingers too.

I love the new keyboard EXCEPT for the arrow keys and touch bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
It still weirds me out how multiple manufacturers did that around the same time. Was there some keyboard conference they all went to where it was deemed the hot new thing?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple does it and then everyone else copies it, for better or worse.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The new keyboards are awesome to type on and I'll be pretty annoyed when inevitably need mine replaced in a couple years (and I'm confident Apple will fix it for free, even if my AppleCare+ is expired).

The TouchBar doesn't feel that useful, even with tinkering with BTT - at the very least, they should have just kept the function keys and added a TouchBar above them.

Touch ID is cool, but I wish MBPs had Face ID.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gay Retard posted:

Touch ID is cool, but I wish MBPs had Face ID.

Given that Windows has had Windows Hello for years this is especially frustrating.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

FCKGW posted:

The keyboards are fine

Even on the non-touchbar Macbook Pros?

I'm really weary giving her a lovely recommendation but at the same time she really can't wait for a new computer.

Mu Zeta posted:

Time will tell but all I know is that typing on them feels like cancer. None of this will be fixed until someone stands up to Jony Ive

I mean yeah but in the meantime are the non-touchbar macbook pros fixed or no? Is there anything that can confirm this?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't like how the keyboard has so little key travel, but Apple will fix the keyboard for years to come if you get a single piece of dust stuck in there. She'll be fine.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Christ the answer is straightforward

No, the MacBook non-Pro and Pro non-TB does not have the new membrane that helps prevent dust ingress that stops the switch working. There is an active warranty extension program for the keyboard, but they still fail at above average rates. It doesn't mean the old keyboard will fail, and it doesn't mean the new keyboards are completely fixed.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Binary Badger posted:

AData makes good stuff- they made a Serial ATA PCI card that's Mac/PC that still works in my 1 GHz G4 for running MacOS on modern hard drives.

Does that SX8200 fit ok inside your laptop, even with the Sintech adapter? Amazon review says the voltage regulator chip is too tall for their PC laptop.. Also, do you have the 480 or the 960 GB?

I have the 480. It fits inside my late 2013 13" rMBP without a problem.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

I have the 2017 Macbook Pro 15 Touch Bar.

I'm looking for a dock / hub to do the following :

- hook up 2 full hd monitors (HDMI input)
- hook up 2 USB peripherals
- power the Macbook

The thing is, I'm having trouble finding something inexpensive that can do this. I can only find two types of hubs :

1. Cheap 15-50€ usb-c hubs with 1 HDMI and 60w power delivery (or none at all)
2. Very expensive (200-350€) thunderbolt 3 hubs with support 5K / 2x4K, 85w PD and actual tb3 usb-c ports

I don't actually need tb3. Just power delivery and dual (full hd) screens.

Is there anything in the 50-100€ range that will give me this ?

It doesn't have to be 85w PD, I'm using the Apple multiport for HDMI + USB + PD and apparently that's only 60w, but it works fine enough. 85w would be a bonus.

(my only other option seems to be plugging in an extra usb-c->hdmi for the second screen, which would work and is cheap, but I wanted to only plug ONE thing in).

Thanks for any help!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yossarko posted:

I have the 2017 Macbook Pro 15 Touch Bar.

I'm looking for a dock / hub to do the following :

- hook up 2 full hd monitors (HDMI input)
- hook up 2 USB peripherals
- power the Macbook

The thing is, I'm having trouble finding something inexpensive that can do this. I can only find two types of hubs :

1. Cheap 15-50€ usb-c hubs with 1 HDMI and 60w power delivery (or none at all)
2. Very expensive (200-350€) thunderbolt 3 hubs with support 5K / 2x4K, 85w PD and actual tb3 usb-c ports

I don't actually need tb3. Just power delivery and dual (full hd) screens.

Is there anything in the 50-100€ range that will give me this ?

It doesn't have to be 85w PD, I'm using the Apple multiport for HDMI + USB + PD and apparently that's only 60w, but it works fine enough. 85w would be a bonus.

(my only other option seems to be plugging in an extra usb-c->hdmi for the second screen, which would work and is cheap, but I wanted to only plug ONE thing in).

Thanks for any help!

Unless something came out in the last six months, the answer is no and you’ll have to go with two plugs into the laptop or one of the TB3 docks of your choice. I got the TS3 lite. It’s very nice but I wish I’d sprung for the longer TB cable.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

64bit_Dophins posted:

Even on the non-touchbar Macbook Pros?

I'm really weary giving her a lovely recommendation but at the same time she really can't wait for a new computer.

The people you are responding you are just pixels on your screen. By the time the warranty runs out, none of us will care what happened to your Mom's computer and some will have moved on to fighting about iOS 13 and defending Apple's actions with their new iPadbook Pro Air. Keep that in mind as you make your recommendation. At this point, you pretty much have to roll the price of Apple Care Plus into your purchase, because if anything goes wrong that they deem not covered by warranty, you're up poo poo creek. Apple hardware is nowhere near as robust as it was 5-10 years ago and customer service has also taken a back seat to profits, at least for Macs.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
If the keyboard repair was a quick fix, I'd be more comfortable recommending the new machines to a friend or family member.

But the repair can take a week, and that's not a small thing for some people.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The keyboard repair involves having to literally disassemble almost the entire 2016/2017/2018 machine. It's not super complex, but it is tedious.

The entire top case has to be switched out, but at least you get a brand new trackpad, touchbar, battery, etc. if you have it done.

Multiply that over several dozen people bringing in their keyboard at once before you do, and unless your Fruit Stand employs more than a couple of techs, of course it'll take a week to get to yours.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

The keyboard repair involves having to literally disassemble almost the entire 2016/2017/2018 machine. It's not super complex, but it is tedious.

The entire top case has to be switched out, but at least you get a brand new trackpad, touchbar, battery, etc. if you have it done.

Multiply that over several dozen people bringing in their keyboard at once before you do, and unless your Fruit Stand employs more than a couple of techs, of course it'll take a week to get to yours.

Yeah, I just got my 2016 replaced with the newer top-case. It took a week. The guy at the store explained that they receive X top cases a week and then they have to order any overages on-demand after those are used up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, that's also a good reason- Apple will only let them order so many at a time so as to keep supply tight, probably a Tim Crook directive.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Binary Badger posted:

I understand why it takes that long, I'm just saying, "Well Apple will repair a broken keyboard for free" is not as great consolation when the Macbook that is Nana's only way to do things has to go away for a week so that her "E" key can work again.

If it was same-day or even next-day, that'd be a little different. It's not like Apple has loaner laptops. (Do they?)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lol if you only have one mac

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

It’s crippling for me right now (academically) since my MBP is out for another display replacement. :(

Usually it’s a 2-3 day turnaround but it’s 5-7 days right now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/29/macos-high-sierra-supplemental-update-2-details/

Apple has to be loving asked directly if their supplemental update is meant to address crackling and kernel panics that 2018 users have been having.

Their policy of 'we dont want to ever admit pushing out software that has bugs in it' is pretentious and annoying.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/29/apple-expanding-vintage-mac-repair-pilot-program/

Wow, Apple still allowing repairs on Mid-2012 MacBook Airs. Wonder if this means they don't actually have a MacBook Air replacement in the wings.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It’s crippling for me right now (academically) since my MBP is out for another display replacement. :(

Usually it’s a 2-3 day turnaround but it’s 5-7 days right now.

I put in a couple warranty claims in last week on GSX and it mentioned the turnaround time. I've never seen that before in the 5+ years I've been doing them.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
So, I bought a new 15" MBP. Coming from a 13" 2015 model:

1) I like the keyboard actually, but it is really goddamned loud.
2) Did they change the force touch trackpad in some way? The click feel is way different than in the 2015 FT - in a bad way. Much less solid and a tinny noise with it.
3) I am immediately annoyed with the USB-C dongle life.

Extra screen real estate is great though.

All in all, gonna be an interesting 2 weeks. Has me actually considering the 2015 15" model since I want the screen size but don't really need the horsepower.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Lol if you don’t just buy another computer during the repair and return it when the repairs computer turns out fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Cozmosis posted:

1) I like the keyboard actually, but it is really goddamned loud.
2) Did they change the force touch trackpad in some way? The click feel is way different than in the 2015 FT - in a bad way. Much less solid and a tinny noise with it.
3) I am immediately annoyed with the USB-C dongle life.

Extra screen real estate is great though.

All in all, gonna be an interesting 2 weeks. Has me actually considering the 2015 15" model since I want the screen size but don't really need the horsepower.

Huh? Did you get a 2018 model? Everyone says it's less noisy than the 2016/7 because of the internal condom covering the butterfly mechanism, this is the first time someone has said the 2018 is too noisy too.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

tuyop posted:

Lol if you don’t just buy another computer during the repair and return it when the repairs computer turns out fine.

And pay a 10% restocking fee? Isn't that the standard these days for "regret purchases"?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mark Larson posted:

And pay a 10% restocking fee? Isn't that the standard these days for "regret purchases"?

Not at Apple

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mark Larson posted:

I haven’t seen that at Best Buy or Staples in the last few years, but maybe! In that case, just go to the Apple Store. They don’t even try to shame you!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Restocking fees went away almost a decade ago

You still have them on certain items that are a bitch to resell like cell phones, appliances, stuff like that.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If I recall correctly, Apple's official policy is you have 14 days to return for full refund no questions asked or credit towards another machine.

Pretty sure that's how we get Apple refurbs.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Go into the Trackpad System Preferences and monkey around with the settings. You can choose the trackpad clickiness levels.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

tuyop posted:

Is this not a jerk move?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mac owners are smug

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

...On first boot you’ll get a Migration Assistant prompt you can use to transfer everything...

What exactly does Migration Assistant x-fer and not x-fer? Files, yes, but what about software?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lincoln posted:

What exactly does Migration Assistant x-fer and not x-fer? Files, yes, but what about software?

Yes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mu Zeta posted:

Mac owners are smug

What kind of smug Mac owner doesn't have a backup Mac?!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Apologies if this post is deemed inappropriate for this thread - I figured the Mac hardware thread was more the domain of long time Apple nerds than, say, the iPhone thread.

Anyway, I know some people have mixed feelings on John Gruber and Daring Fireball, but is it just me or has his output dramatically slowed down in the past several months to year? I get that the appeal of being an independent blogger is not having any schedule you *have* to answer to, but it feels like the past few months have just been several days to nearly a full week of zero updates to his DF linked list - e.g. this week, besides his sponsorship post the last actual updates have been from last Friday up until his ‘iPhone announcement’ single sentence post that happened just a moment ago.

This applies to the podcast as well, too - he even had to rush a literal last moment Twitter Q&A episode in July to meet his sponsorship agreements. Given that he’s already having to make semi-regular posts about sponsorship slots for the DF RSS feed being wide open, you’d think he’d be encouraged to keep a regular stream of content going, but it just seems to be falling off rather dramatically. And it’s not as if there isn’t anything newsworthy - this week we even had Apple update the ancient Airport Express, something that would seem to at least merit a link and a quick blurb.

Obviously this isn’t anything important in any grand scheme, and the dude doesn’t owe anyone anything - but I’ve been reading his site for close to a decade so it’s disappointing to think he’s lost a step or is just phoning it in. Despite his obvious biases, he’s always had some pretty sharp insights about Apple and technology in general. That said, I’m just curious if it’s just me, or if other people are noticing it too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I like reading DF and listening to his a podcast as well, but it does seem like he posts way more ads (I mean spomsorships) than anything. But without any juicy news to post what is there to report on? Everyone got taken by surprise by the last MacBook Pro updates

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress outa here with this bourgeouise poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

landgrabber posted:

gently caress outa here with this bourgeouise poo poo

- Sent from the Mac in my guest house's third floor walk-in closet