Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

The midichlorians were the father.

Are we given any reason to doubt this other than Shmi having slut eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Midichlorians are still organic creatures. If Shmi got hosed by tiny slugs that's hilarious but it doesn't make Anakin Jesus.

Anyways I don't really get how the SMG interpretation of Vader as the Christ-like liberator of the droids and slaves squares with him being an enforcer for a brutal fascist empire. Like, at all.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

Anyways I don't really get how the SMG interpretation of Vader as the Christ-like liberator of the droids and slaves squares with him being an enforcer for a brutal fascist empire. Like, at all.

No see, the new republic was imperfect and allowed member states to have slavery and stuff which is why people are uninterested in preventing genocidal fascists from conquering the Galaxy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Jesus was just lucky he didn't meet any wise jedi when he was a kid, although isn't there a period of his like unaccounted for?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

For anyone concerned, Rian Johnson did confirm yesterday that he is still working on his trilogy.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1034768347991293952

This is going to be a business disaster for Disney at the very least. Rian Johnson is a toxic commodity now.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

"Working on it" is hollywood speak for "who the gently caress knows when or whether this will happen"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

"Working on it" is hollywood speak for "who the gently caress knows when or whether this will happen"

This could conceivably mean relentlessly pitching to Disney tbh.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mantis42 posted:

I don't really get how the SMG interpretation of Vader as the Christ-like liberator of the droids and slaves squares with him being an enforcer for a brutal fascist empire. Like, at all.

That’s because you’re mixing up the end of Rogue One with the end of Episode 6, where Vader dies for your sins.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sure, Vader killed the Emperor, who is basically Satan, but also he collaborated with him for ~20 years. That's kind of like if Jesus helped Pontius Pilate kill a bunch of Jews for several decades before going to Golgatha.

e: Vader seems to die more for his own sins, essentially.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Galactic society seems pretty willing to heroize insane child abusers as long as they do something vaguely redemptive as they die. Just look at Luke

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Was midichloroians ever mention again after PM?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raccooon posted:

Was midichloroians ever mention again after PM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx52--WmLQs

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think they could reasonably retcon it by saying that they had lost sight of what the Force really was and were confusing cause and effect in the PT (IE midichloroians are attracted to force users but don't give them their powers).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Slutitution posted:

This is going to be a business disaster for Disney at the very least. Rian Johnson is a toxic commodity now.

Ah yes, the director of the billion dollar critically acclaimed the Last Jedi is sooooooo Toxic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think they could reasonably retcon it by saying that they had lost sight of what the Force really was and were confusing cause and effect in the PT (IE midichloroians are attracted to force users but don't give them their powers).

Uh that’s the story in the PT.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Ah yes, the director of the billion dollar critically acclaimed the Last Jedi is sooooooo Toxic.

It's as bunk as "toxic masculinity".

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

euphronius posted:

Uh that’s the story in the PT.

Yeah Obi Wan did beat that rear end with I am assuming a much lower count

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Raccooon posted:

He trained with King Kai to master both the spirit bomb and the kaio-ken techniques between movies.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Raccooon posted:

Midicholrian count is all about gross total and Anakin lost a buttload when his arm got chopped off so at that point Obi Wan had more.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's as bunk as "toxic masculinity".

No that's very real and you're a jerk

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

porfiria posted:

Midicholrian count is all about gross total and Anakin lost a buttload when his arm got chopped off so at that point Obi Wan had more.

Yeah but anakin had some ridiculously high count. Even losing the arm he was rocking way more than anyone else.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

No that's very real and you're a jerk

Only one of these statements is true.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Imagine four Midichlorians on the edge of a cliff...

The Force works the same way.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Do you think Obi Wan ever got laid?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Only one of these statements is true.

Nah, they both are. gently caress off.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Nah, they both are. gently caress off.

unnecessary hostility is a p. toxic masculine trait, jivjov

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

I think the Story Group are the only qualified arbiters of that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Brother Entropy posted:

You clearly don't know BotL's history of following me around the forums being hostile to me.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

You clearly don't know BotL's history of following me around the forums being hostile to me.

Ah, has he been probated for hostile rage filled posts in this thread in the last week or so? No, that was you? I see

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slutitution posted:

He’s toxic for idiots yeah.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ah, has he been probated for hostile rage filled posts in this thread in the last week or so? No, that was you? I see

Fam, all I was doing was trying to educate people on how the Star Wars continuity is managed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Fam, all I was doing was trying to educate people on how the Star Wars continuity is managed.

And you called Bongo Bill, one of the most inoffensive, non-confrontational guys on the forum, an "arrogant jackass" over him stating that corporations cannot outweigh his freedom of thought.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And you told Bongo Bill, one of the most inoffensive, non-confrontational guys on the forum, to "gently caress off" for stating that corporations cannot outweigh his freedom of thought.

Well, in fairness, as far as he knows, corporations can outweigh my freedom of thought.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

Oh, really? I didn't realize that calling people who disagree with you arrogant imbeciles, loving dumbasses, jerkasses who should go back to grade school, etc etc was necessary to your lecture on canon. But what do I know, I'm just a toxic male, right

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Do you really want to pile in with BotL's anti-feminism callback. Is this going to be a thing the thread does now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Oh, really? I didn't realize that calling people who disagree with arrogant imbeciles, loving dumbasses, jerkasses who should go back to grade school, etc etc was necessary to your lecture on canon. But what do I know, I'm just a toxic male

When they're repeatedly saying that their own personal feelings override reality, yeah, they're being really dumb.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

jivjov posted:

Does the same to me

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Let's be perfectly clear about something: toxic masculinity is more real than the official Star Wars canon.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Let's be perfectly clear about something: toxic masculinity is more real than the official Star Wars canon.

Finally, something we can all say :agreed: to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

No, now you're falling into the same trap.

You can think and feel whatever you personally want about Star Wars and the canonicity of various projects. But that does not change what is and is not canonical.