Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bewbies posted:

The anti-aircraft capability is really a tack-on....shooting a tank gun at an angry Gator isn't anyone's first choice, although it is surprisingly capable against a slow or hovering target.

One thing the new shells have been doing quite well is engaging drones. The army doesn't have a lot of things that can effectively engage a WVR low slow drone target, and these things can do the job surprisingly effectively.

Still, sometimes the tank is what you have on hand and this will help in a pinch alongside the rest of its utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bewbies posted:

The anti-aircraft capability is really a tack-on....shooting a tank gun at an angry Gator isn't anyone's first choice, although it is surprisingly capable against a slow or hovering target.

From my understanding of the M1's targeting system, the computer and laser rangefinding are basically video game-esque in how well they let you shoot a moving target with no effort at all.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nenonen posted:

And if you have say, SABOT loaded in the breech and suddenly need to fire a HE/HEAT shell at some RPG party, the procedure is to fire the wrong round and then load the correct shell, which wastes both time and ammunition. Taking the wrong shell out of the breech and back to the rack after which you load the right one is, I have been told, too time consuming to do in combat.

Sometimes the players can get a bit annoying, but a TPK isn't a good answer imo.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nenonen posted:

And if you have say, SABOT loaded in the breech and suddenly need to fire a HE/HEAT shell at some RPG party, the procedure is to fire the wrong round and then load the correct shell, which wastes both time and ammunition. Taking the wrong shell out of the breech and back to the rack after which you load the right one is, I have been told, too time consuming to do in combat.

You'd probably need sabot to take on the wizard or the fighter

e: beaten goddamnit

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Just to be pedantic, sabot isn't an acronym.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 30th August 1918 posted:

Training in the vicinity of the camp.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyAsfo6rEz0

This looks dope as hell. As far as I can tell it's set during the Three Kingdoms era but I can't tell what's made up and what's historical from the limited online sources I could find.

It looks kinda like the rise of the Qin dynasty.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shameless stolen from elsewhere, no certain attribution.

quote:

A Really, Really Honest History of the Battleship

In the beginning was HMS Victory, and she was good. She was so good that her military career outlasted several generations of officers and crew. But some engineers with no respect for tradition got to fooling around with steam, armor, and explosive shells, and ruined the whole thing.

They started with USS Monitor, which was the first ship to combine a rotating turret with extreme unseaworthiness, and CSS Merrimack, whose main role was to make people forget that her actual name was CSS Virginia. Britain replied with HMS Warrior, the first all-iron seagoing warship, whose main role was to make people forget that the French built the ironclad ship Gloire first.

There followed a period of experimental design, in which naval engineers tried to guess what a steam-powered battleship should look like. This resulted in classic designs like the Italian Affondatore (“The Sinker”), which never sank anything; the French designs, which were something to frighten children with; the American ships, which sat so low in the water that they gave John Holland the idea for a practical submarine; and the Russian ships, which combined the mediocrities of French design with the mediocrities of Tsarist engineering, and created the most soundly defeated fleet in modern history.

Eventually, nearly everyone settled on four big guns (which was an improvement on HMS Victory’s 104 guns), a handful of medium-sized guns whose role was to confuse the shell-spotting for the big guns, and some armor where it did the least good. These ships were propelled by hundreds of galley slaves who had reshaped their oars into coal shovels.

Then came Fisher, and he really made a mess of things. He conceived a new kind of battleship, HMS Dreadnought, which was the first ship to be suspected of pushing herself sideways when she fired a full broadside. Then he improved on the armoured cruiser by making it a bigger and more attractive target while making it more costly. The other nations of the world were unwilling for Britain to spend all its money on ships unchallenged, and so a naval arms race began. The winner was Brazil, whose ships were the most powerful in the world for a time, and whose command of the sea was never challenged.

At this point, someone realized that these ships needed a war to justify their existence, so they chose teams and started the War to End All Wars. Everyone waited for the huge battle that would test these mighty ships... including the admirals, whose contribution delayed the battle somewhat. But it finally happened. The German goal was to meet a part of the Royal Navy and point out some problems with British shell-handling practice, like any good friend would do. When Admiral Jellicoe behaved like a blackguard and brought his entire fleet, the Germans changed their minds about the whole thing. From that point on, Germany relied on submarines to win the war for them. When this failed, they turned their surface ships into submarines for one last try, but their battleships and battle-cruisers proved to be much better at diving than surfacing.

Once the war ended and peace ruled the world, it was obviously necessary for the naval powers to build some more battleships. These would have been huge, swift, powerful enforcers of peace all over the world. But the war-hawk faction opposed this idea and convened the Washington Naval Conference, which agreed to put all future ships on a diet, and to scrap the wonderful new ships under construction so they wouldn’t give the older ships an inferiority complex. This time period also saw several battleships and battle-cruisers “razeed” into aircraft carriers.

An influential figure at this time was the American aviator “Billy” Mitchell, whose superheated rhetoric sank both the German battleship Ostfriesland and his own career. Nevertheless, it was clear that the battleship had a rival in the aeroplane, so the admirals relegated the aeroplanes to scouting and invented a new naval strategy, which could be summed up as “fervently hoping that the enemy would also use their aeroplanes for scouting.” Unfortunately, the aeroplane mutated into the airplane, a much more formidable weapon.

Barely 21 years after the War to End All Wars had ended, the world had had enough of peace, so they started another war, with more players on each team this time. The Germans brought four battleships that were unsinkable, even though they all sank. The Italians had some leftovers from the last war, upgraded to Version 2.0, along with a few brand-new ones that were equally effective at running away from the British and then getting stuck in port with no fuel. The French battleships had a series of translation problems; first the British shot them up so they wouldn’t speak German, then the ones that were left shot themselves up so they wouldn’t speak German. The Americans got into the act by shooting up the incomplete French ship Jean Bart, scoring a direct hit on her escargot locker.

As was fitting for the world’s greatest navy, the British battleships were mostly designed or built during the previous war, but they were still useful in War to End All Wars II. The older American battleships played a peacekeeping role, bombarding all of the beaches in the Pacific except the clothing-optional ones, while the new battleships mostly protected the aircraft carriers that were putting the battleships out of business. Finally, the Japanese built the biggest battleships ever, Yamato and Musashi, in order to test the old proverb, “The bigger they are, the harder they fall.” As usual, the proverb was proven true.

After the war, nearly all of the world’s battleships were recycled into early-model Toyotas and Minis. The Americans kept a few so people could keep arguing over whether we still need them or not. To the dismay of many military-hardware buffs, the British didn’t preserve any of their battleships. But they still have HMS Victory, which is quite likely to outlast them all.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

my dad posted:

China big.

Names few.

It's not just because of the nature of Chinese language either, names were very intentionally reused because they were vaunted in prestige and tradition. There's a reason Korea has a Three Kingdoms period and Japan has a Warring States period, or that basically every Chinese dynasty has a name akin to a Zhou-era equivalent despite often having no other connection whatsoever.

And it's not just westerners that it's confusing for. Dongyi is an ancient Chinese term that was mostly used to refer to groups way off past the East China Sea, usually conflated with Korea, but in earlier times it was originally used for groups around Shandong, right on the Chinese mainland. Premodern East Asian historians took this to mean that the groups that were around Korea later on must have been the same groups that were in Shandong in earlier times; they must have just migrated or something right?

As we now know, nope. Aside from being "those barbarians to the East," the two groups had no relation whatsoever. Some fucker 500 years later just reused the old name and sowed confusion for the next 2000 years.

Another example: Hui and Mo were ancient terms used for peoples living not far from Beijing, but later on were also terms used for some of the peoples that made up the core part of the Korean ethnicity. The distinction for these two hasn't even totally shaken off yet. Which is incidentally + Dongyi thing one of a couple of reasons you'll sometimes see Korean maps of the "ancient Korean race" that include large chunks of China too. There's probably tons of examples that don't relate to Korea too; I know it's made placing a bunch of ancient Chinese cities a lot harder for instance.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

"69th Something Awful Milhist Thread Diary, April 20th 2042" posted:

Posting parties as usual.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mllaneza posted:

Shameless stolen from elsewhere, no certain attribution.

I hate you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If I track it down, I'll post it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mllaneza posted:

Please don't.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mllaneza posted:

He's far and away the saltiest person in the thread

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That's amazing. There are a few comical stories like that in Russian, I will try to track them down.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Original by Ivan Koshkin, 2002:

Lost victories, part 2. Conclusions. Based on the memoirs of Guderian, Middeldorf, Mellentin, Manstein, and Tippelskirch

1) Hitler got in the way. Hitler was a fool. German soldiers ruled. The German commander was like Friedrich the Great, but without any of the downsides.

2) The Russians buried us in bodies. The Russians had a lot of bodies. The Russian soldier is a child of nature, he eats anything that doesn't run away, sleeps upright like a horse, and can sneak. The author witnessed several times how entire Russian tank armies snuck through the front lines, with no evidence of their presence. One day there was the usual artillery barrage, bombing, offensive, and then bam! a whole Russian tank army in your rear.

3) The SS sometimes went overboard. I mean, if everything was limited to regular robbery, executions, rape, and destruction, which the German soldier imparted due to an overabundance of youthful vigour, maybe more people would accept the new world order.

4) The Russians had the T-34 tank. This was unfair, we didn't have this tank.

5) The Russians had anti-tank guns. Every soldier had an anti-tank gun. They hid with them in holes, in tree hollows, behind blades of grass, and under tree roots.

6) The Russians had Mongols and Turkmen. Mongols and Turkmen backed by commissars are a powerful force.

7) The Russians had commissars. The commissars are a powerful force. By definition. Most commissars were Jews. We killed our Jews like idiots. Hitler was an idiot.

8) The Russians used an unfair strategy, they pretended like they were surrendering, and then bam! shot the German soldiers in the back. Once a Russian tank corps pretended like it was surrendering and then shot up a whole heavy tank battalion.

9) The Russians killed German soldiers. This was entirely unfair, since the idea was that German soldiers would kill the Russians. All Russians are assholes.

10) The Allies betrayed us, by which I mean the Americans and the British.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign Expendable posted:

Lost victories, part 2. Conclusions. Based on the memoirs of Guderian, Middeldorf, Mellentin, Manstein, and Tippelskirch

1) Hitler got in the way. Hitler was a fool. German soldiers ruled. The German commander was like Friedrich the Great, but without any of the downsides.

2) The Russians buried us in bodies. The Russians had a lot of bodies. The Russian soldier is a child of nature, he eats anything that doesn't run away, sleeps upright like a horse, and can sneak. The author witnessed several times how entire Russian tank armies snuck through the front lines, with no evidence of their presence. One day there was the usual artillery barrage, bombing, offensive, and then bam! a whole Russian tank army in your rear.

3) The SS sometimes went overboard. I mean, if everything was limited to regular robbery, executions, rape, and destruction, which the German soldier imparted due to an overabundance of youthful vigour, maybe more people would accept the new world order.

4) The Russians had the T-34 tank. This was unfair, we didn't have this tank.

5) The Russians had anti-tank guns. Every soldier had an anti-tank gun. They hid with them in holes, in tree hollows, behind blades of grass, and under tree roots.

6) The Russians had Mongols and Turkmen. Mongols and Turkmen backed by commissars are a powerful force.

7) The Russians had commissars. The commissars are a powerful force. By definition. Most commissars were Jews. We killed our Jews like idiots. Hitler was an idiot.

8) The Russians used an unfair strategy, they pretended like they were surrendering, and then bam! shot the German soldiers in the back. Once a Russian tank corps pretended like it was surrendering and then shot up a whole heavy tank battalion.

9) The Russians killed German soldiers. This was entirely unfair, since the idea was that German soldiers would kill the Russians. All Russians are assholes.

10) The Allies betrayed us, by which I mean the Americans and the British.

See, the difference is that this is actually funny.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

See, the difference is that this is actually funny.

Actually, they're both funny. Maybe reread both.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Frantically googling for more of this guy so I can post something this :krad:.

Why is this not in the OP?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

JcDent posted:

Ever so slowly, we're inching back towards separating tanks into infantry tanks and cruiser tanks :v:

Decades of engine development mean you can have both now!

Seriously, it's rather impressive how much engine design has improved in pretty much every regard.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

chitoryu12 posted:

From my understanding of the M1's targeting system, the computer and laser rangefinding are basically video game-esque in how well they let you shoot a moving target with no effort at all.

Having gunned Leo 2a4 and currently gunning an m1a2sepv2 you arent that far off. The difference is speed of the target- a moving ground target in combat will be going anywhere from 10 to 30 km/h, and the training targets we use are about maybe 8kmh? At 1.5 km missing a slow mover like that even with heat requires the gunner to gently caress up.

Tracking comes MUCH harder when the target is a chopper doing even slight manouvering past 50km/h- or moving on all three dimensions.

The tank turret is heavy and hydraulic stabilizer has weight-induced lag so sudden change on target speed and vector at high speeds isnt a breeze to track.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

feedmegin posted:

Just to be pedantic, sabot isn't an acronym.

You're correct, but it doesn't look much less of a letter soup than APFSDS so I forget. Chobham is another one, either it's an acronym or an English meal.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Remulak posted:

Frantically googling for more of this guy so I can post something this :krad:.

Why is this not in the OP?

These are all the ones he wrote that I know of. They're in Russian though, and as far as I know they have never been translated before now.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

These are all the ones he wrote that I know of. They're in Russian though, and as far as I know they have never been translated before now.

You know what you must do. :colbert:

Unrelated,

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hi, if this is a good place to ask, what are some good works on the military history of the Arab-Israeli conflict? I have read some general histories but I'm interested to learn more about the militaries involved, details about the wars, etc.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Nenonen posted:

You're correct, but it doesn't look much less of a letter soup than APFSDS so I forget. Chobham is another one, either it's an acronym or an English meal.

Chobham is also a small town.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ilmucche posted:

Chobham is also a small town.

for which the armour is nicknamed. Other nicknames are Burlington and Dorchester.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tias posted:

for which the armour is nicknamed. Other nicknames are Burlington and Dorchester.

I think you'll find that in fact a "dorchester" is a watertight blast door on a large ship, the name first arising after they were installed in the Royal Navy's dreadnoughts but then kept permanently propped open to improve rate of fire, because (as Rear-Admiral Arbuthnot famously said in A Battleship Commander's Order Book) one should always pass straight through Dorchester without stopping

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 31, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Hi, if this is a good place to ask, what are some good works on the military history of the Arab-Israeli conflict? I have read some general histories but I'm interested to learn more about the militaries involved, details about the wars, etc.

I've been looking for books on the military aspects of 1967 and 1973 myself. From what I see (a) the Israelis like to keep actual military details secret and (b) the Arab side doesn't like talking about their defeats, which makes books on the subject hard to find...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There was that "Armies of Sand and Snow" essay analyzing why the various Arab armies can't seem to make Deep Battle work.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

You know what's going to happen next time you poop out your Tank Archives counter/number/letter/acronym pile of pending projects and ask for requests...

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

There was that "Armies of Sand and Snow" essay analyzing why the various Arab armies can't seem to make Deep Battle work.

i was under the impression that was due to the internal politics of dictatorships. i have an uncle who used to work for general dynamics selling arms to foreign countries for :911: and he described handing out manuals to egyptian tank crews only to have their officer come and take the manuals away in order to be the only one who knows how things work so he could leverage that to power.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i was under the impression that was due to the internal politics of dictatorships. i have an uncle who used to work for general dynamics selling arms to foreign countries for :911: and he described handing out manuals to egyptian tank crews only to have their officer come and take the manuals away in order to be the only one who knows how things work so he could leverage that to power.

Link to the paper, albeit paygated. I cannot figure out how I was able to read it originally for free, I suspect a helpful goon had a :filez: link handy.

Basically leadership issues are one major problem, especially one that turns up in training; subordinates will generally allegedly refuse to shoot down their superiors in training and there seems to be a lot of issues in the ability to take initiative, the Egyptians apparently relied a lot on a lot of preplanned offencives that petered out after initial success once they were past the stages they planned for and couldn't react well to the unknown circumstances. But it also notes that many arab militiaries did not really try very hard to adapt Soviet equipment and doctrine to their own circumstances if at all and in some cases they relied on hybrid or completely different doctrines for use with their equipment, i.e Iraq apparently mostly borrowed British doctrine. While Syria was the closest in attempting to copy Soviet military doctrine and force structure/OOB. It was a really good article and very informative but I can't really remember much of the broad strokes other than that the USSR military observers and advisors were constantly frustrated with their Arab counterparts.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Why arabs lose wars. Good read, makes generalisations but is self aware and cautionary when it does so, and from what I've heard from people closer to the issue pretty close to being on point.

e: you can't just say it's down to the internal politics of dictatorships, especially as we're talking about a failure to implement Soviet armed forces doctrine.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 31, 2018

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

Cessna posted:

I've been looking for books on the military aspects of 1967 and 1973 myself. From what I see (a) the Israelis like to keep actual military details secret and (b) the Arab side doesn't like talking about their defeats, which makes books on the subject hard to find...

https://www.amazon.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict-David-W-Lesch/dp/0195172302

I read this book in college. My professor wrote it, Dr. David Lesch. He was also Assad's personal biographer up until he started killing his own citizens. He knew a lot of people high up in the Syrian and Israeli governments. I remember it being a good primer, at the very least.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

an auction company in my area held a gun auction this month and

quote:

This auction contains one man's collection of high quality military rifles including M-1 Garands and Carbines, 03 A3s, An early Colt AR-17, Lugers, Mausers, Cancanos, Arisakas plus many contemporary weapons and a very rare Marbles 44/22 folding stock rifle.

:smith: they're holding another one in November but I wish I cared enough about owning a gun to have gotten in on one of those (springfield 19)'03 A3s

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 31, 2018

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 31st August 1918 posted:

A & B Coys on range (improvised) all forenoon, and C & D Coys in the afternoon. Coys not on range carried on training in the vicinity of camp. (Physical training, musketry and arms drill).
C of E Service parade 5.30 p.m.
Celebration of holy communion at 6 p.m. in Officers Mess.
Following new officers reported for duty today 2/Lts CURTIS, KENT, ROBINSON, WILDING, FLEMING, IRELAND, HOUSE, WALTON, GREGORY, DEVITT.
2/Lt WALTON was previously Bombing Sgt of this Battn.
2/Lt DEVITT served for two years in East Africa with 2nd Rhodesia Regt
Capt Pretman [?] arrived back from leave today.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Raenir Salazar posted:

I have this one if anyone's interested

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nuclear War posted:

I have this one if anyone's interested

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FAUXTON posted:

an auction company in my area held a gun auction this month and

:smith: they're holding another one in November but I wish I cared enough about owning a gun to have gotten in on one of those (springfield 19)'03 A3s

I mean, if that's a thing you want to do 03A3s are pretty easy to get and not all that expensive.