Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah it’s IVIg, this is at least the third time I’ve seen Log mention it, I think it’s loving with his memory

Also lol at your bird going Bye Felicia on you

The phrase itself is somehow loving with my memory. Also, not knowing which groups of goons I’ve told what doesn’t help. :)

Jose Oquendo posted:

That bottom right panel is so accurate. Those of you without greys have no idea.

Thank you very much! Also, that cartoon grey is THE BEST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shirec posted:

I hope your treatments are going well Captain Log! I know I’ve been enjoying all the Serra updates. She is an angel :swoon:

One of my fave Twitter birds, Ripley, put up a new comic. I love Ripley so :allears:

https://twitter.com/RipleyParrot/status/1034450803124252673

We had to raise our step-up bribe to pistachios - With Pookie you need something that is so delicious that her fear of dropping it is more powerful than the satisfaction of biting would be.

"You want a 'stacio Pooks?"

"HEEP Fierce leaning with waggling half-spread wings"

Edit: just noticed another subtle detail in the bottom left panel - not only has his face gotten grumpier, he's also hunching down and gripping the chairback even tighter. That is v. typical in Pookie when she doesn't want to be moved or interrupted.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 29, 2018

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pookah posted:

We had to raise our step-up bribe to pistachios - With Pookie you need something that is so delicious that her fear of dropping it is more powerful than the satisfaction of biting would be.

"You want a 'stacio Pooks?"

"HEEP Fierce leaning with waggling half-spread wings"

I believe I’ve mentioned before that we get Pearl to step onto an oven mitt. It’s not something I necessarily would recommend, especially as she’s figured out how to bite down hard enough to bruise fingers if she hits it just right. I have also learned how to move my hand so she can’t reach it right. We also have devolved into an understanding that yes, she does have to eventually get on the mitt, and yes, she is coming with me, but she is allowed to attack the mitt first. And then I bring her up to eye level and give her a kiss and a hug (I do indeed have a death wish) because that actually calms her down. So now, I have this situation where I shove this mitt into whatever space she is occupying, she runs over to it and jumps on it to bite it, sometimes even falling over in the process, I get her to latch her feet on it and haul her out, and she then makes kissy noises at me and is completely calm once I have her out.

I have given my bird and myself so many complexes.

My major deal with Pearl is actually that she doesn’t do treat based rewards as well. Like I might offer her a walnut and it might work once or twice, but eventually she decides that she doesn’t like them as much anymore, or that whatever she is doing is better than a walnut. But praise is 100% the best thing ever, and if I do it right praise will get Pearl to do so many things. However, it’s a lot more tiring than just shoving a treat in her face.

ETA: The odd phrase that does work for specifically getting her out of her cage is asking her if she needs to poo poo. She hates pooping in her cage, and if I remind her that she probably needs to take a dump, she’s up on my hand immediately.

greypearl fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 29, 2018

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

^^^ With greys it's just constant, endless mindgames (plus cuddles n love).

edit: just reread your description of how Pearl pounces on the glove - I know and hate that pounce, it is terrifyingly fast and extremely fierce. Pookie does it to ovengloves too, also teatowels.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 29, 2018

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Ever since when Nicky was hurt and we had to have her in vests, she will only ever step up for me in one specific situation: If I'm sitting in my chair by the table near her cage and offering her some food, preferably something that I'm eating. She will step up dutifully on command, get the food, and then go immediately back to her cage to eat it. She will hang out on my lap while I'm in that chair sometimes too again now, but only on her terms, never on command. I used to be able to get her to step up and go exploring, but I had to do so much unwanted handling when she was hurt to keep her from killing herself picking at her scab, that I've lost that privilege for the time being. Luckily, we're otherwise still pretty good pals.

Nicky also has an instagram now, thanks to my wife, if people want to see occasional pictures or videos of her I can post the link.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Nicky also has an instagram now, thanks to my wife, if people want to see occasional pictures or videos of her I can post the link.

does a bear poo poo in the woods?
does the pope wear a funny hat?
is an african grey plotting your demise?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Mild cockatoo antics within:

https://www.instagram.com/nickybirb/

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Is that head tilt when he walks a cockatoo thing or just a Nicky thing? It's cute as hell, like the parrot version of a drag queen pointing where they're gonna strut :kimchi:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Peckacles has made a full recovery and is now full of personality and energy. The transition from potato bird means he was an extremely sick bird and probably halfway dead. Still a little discolored from the delousing, though.

He now spends his evenings flying circuits around our house, returning to perch in the living room. He likes to be with the family, but isn't quite willing to volunteer to be held yet.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Amadeus just flicked his head while sitting close to my face and very neatly knocked my contact lens out of my eye with his beak. How the gently caress.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Amadeus just flicked his head while sitting close to my face and very neatly knocked my contact lens out of my eye with his beak. How the gently caress.

Impressive.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Attention to detail.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh my god if my parrot noticed that I had contacts in my eye I can just see him constantly trying to remove them in an attempt to help groom me. :gonk:

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Enigma posted:

Peckacles has made a full recovery and is now full of personality and energy. The transition from potato bird means he was an extremely sick bird and probably halfway dead. Still a little discolored from the delousing, though.

He now spends his evenings flying circuits around our house, returning to perch in the living room. He likes to be with the family, but isn't quite willing to volunteer to be held yet.

Good pidge. :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

She's just lovely :3:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

https://twitter.com/0namicky0/status/1034045737280008194?s=21

goofy galah :3

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Oh my god if my parrot noticed that I had contacts in my eye I can just see him constantly trying to remove them in an attempt to help groom me. :gonk:

Loki was fascinated by the process of my wife's contacts. When she got ready for bed, he'd sit on her shoulder, bob his head up and down and make a toothbrush-brushing sound for the toothbrush portion, and then just stare in silent awe as she took them out of her eyes.

Yoshi will have nothing to do with the contacts, he just leaves as soon as it starts (although he also does the toothbrush sounds and bobs his head - he gets really excited about that).

Birds.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Forgot to post this earlier in the week :3 Poor itchy baby has been molting like crazy.
https://i.imgur.com/sLOozsJ.mp4

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

subpar anachronism posted:

Forgot to post this earlier in the week :3 Poor itchy baby has been molting like crazy.
https://i.imgur.com/sLOozsJ.mp4
OH gosh those happy conure squinty eyes :kimchi:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

That is a very happy bird

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tendai posted:

OH gosh those happy conure squinty eyes :kimchi:

The best :kimchi:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you sir; but I bite my thumb, sir.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Cockatiels are dumb as bricks but Archer did something weirdly almost smart today.

Normally when I come home from work this exchange happens:

:downs: "Hey buddy!"
:derptiel: "What's up?"
:downs: "Not much. What's up with you?"
:derptiel: "Archer!"

Today after I said my normal thing he kept saying "What's up?" and I thought he was just practicing and repeated that for him until he got annoyed and made a garbled noise that sounded like speech. It dawned on me he tried to say "not much" and I started saying that and he got SUPER excited and said "What's up?" again. I said "not much" and he stared intently and then for a few minutes we went back and forth.

Little derp wanted me to help him learn a new phrase :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh my god that is so adorable

Imagine a :kimchi: + :derptiel: right here

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shark Sandwich posted:

Cockatiels are dumb as bricks but Archer did something weirdly almost smart today.

Normally when I come home from work this exchange happens:

:downs: "Hey buddy!"
:derptiel: "What's up?"
:downs: "Not much. What's up with you?"
:derptiel: "Archer!"

Today after I said my normal thing he kept saying "What's up?" and I thought he was just practicing and repeated that for him until he got annoyed and made a garbled noise that sounded like speech. It dawned on me he tried to say "not much" and I started saying that and he got SUPER excited and said "What's up?" again. I said "not much" and he stared intently and then for a few minutes we went back and forth.

Little derp wanted me to help him learn a new phrase :3:

This is why cockatiels are the best and most pure things on this dumb earth :kimchi:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Honestly I'm fairly certain he's been trying that for a while. I think today I just understood what he was trying to do.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Dumb cockatiel? Tito thursday coming right up.

Okay dude, so you won't let me brush my teeth, but you also don't want to take a bath?

Fine then, just stand there. I'll wait till you're finished.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love birds, everybody. Today, I was lying back, with my infant son sleeping on my chest, and Yoshi the budgie standing on my foot and making a puffy happy face at the baby while my wife watched and smiled, and I'm just... I'm very lucky. I love birds.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Prepare yourself for a too cute baby

Ready?

https://twitter.com/mumble82/status/1035176591041724416

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I have the bestest hubby in the world.

It's my birthday on Saturday, and we took a few days off this week to go on a little drive around the state in the convertible. That being said, we took Cricket to the birdsitters for the week. I dropped her off on Monday, and when I did there was a little yellow-sided greencheek that was about 3 months old. Cricket flew over to the cage and started chatting up the little one, and in talking to the man who raises the birds and cares for them, he said that this little one was needing a home.

My husband had said before that whenever I wanted another bird, to go ahead...he was fine with it. I fell in love with this baby, guys. I was originally planning to wait a year or so to get a Crimson Bellied, but I really like the way this guy raises his birds, and with his recent health scares, I think it is better to get the little one that was there now. I called my husband and he asked to speak to the birdsitter...and then he hung up. The birdsitter looked at me and said "So, what are you naming your new baby boy? BTW, happy birthday from us and your husband"

I'm getting a new birdie as soon as he's ready to come home :) I named him Trevor. The birdsitter has been making sure he is all ready to go, and as soon as he is a bit more socialized Trevor is coming home!! He has already been introduced to Cricket, so they know each other already, and the birdsitter is working with both of them together while we have been gone.

We got home today and I just got thru cleaning the cage, and putting new toys in it, and basically getting it ready to go for him. I can't wait!

I'll post pics when I can, I totally forgot to get pics on Monday!!

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I am thrilled to have video proof that bird tongue works on touchscreens. I always suspected it, but never was able to prove it. Now I know.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I don't see what's so special about a bird tweeting :confused:.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shirec posted:

Prepare yourself for a too cute baby

Ready?

https://twitter.com/mumble82/status/1035176591041724416

Twitter's format cuts off the other best bit (apart from the big dark babby eyes)

Pantaloons!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

1500 posted:

No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you sir; but I bite my thumb, sir.

look at this good bird

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Going home to my boys today. I've missed my dumb birds. :kimchi:

My sister's been watching them and apparently they just yelled at her angrily the first day but Sera was willing to hang out on her shoulder a few days in. I'm getting home after their usual bedtime but I'm wondering what sort of reaction I'll get. Probably an angry dance.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

It's my birthday on Saturday, and we took a few days off this week to go on a little drive around the state in the convertible. That being said, we took Cricket to the birdsitters for the week. I dropped her off on Monday, and when I did there was a little yellow-sided greencheek that was about 3 months old. Cricket flew over to the cage and started chatting up the little one, and in talking to the man who raises the birds and cares for them, he said that this little one was needing a home.

My husband had said before that whenever I wanted another bird, to go ahead...he was fine with it. I fell in love with this baby, guys. I was originally planning to wait a year or so to get a Crimson Bellied, but I really like the way this guy raises his birds, and with his recent health scares, I think it is better to get the little one that was there now. I called my husband and he asked to speak to the birdsitter...and then he hung up. The birdsitter looked at me and said "So, what are you naming your new baby boy? BTW, happy birthday from us and your husband"

I'm getting a new birdie as soon as he's ready to come home :) I named him Trevor. The birdsitter has been making sure he is all ready to go, and as soon as he is a bit more socialized Trevor is coming home!! He has already been introduced to Cricket, so they know each other already, and the birdsitter is working with both of them together while we have been gone.

We got home today and I just got thru cleaning the cage, and putting new toys in it, and basically getting it ready to go for him. I can't wait!

:neckbeard:

Can't wait to see your new friend

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Disco Salmon posted:

That’s so sweet and awesome, you do indeed have an excellent husband! I hope Cricket and Trevor are best pals

Pookah posted:

Twitter's format cuts off the other best bit (apart from the big dark babby eyes)

Pantaloons!

Thank you! I didn’t realize positing it because my Twitter app doesn’t cut them off, haha. Gosh every time I see this adorable baby, I fall in love

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Grey Gams-A-Go-Go!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

OMG that grey :love:

Disco Salmon posted:

yes, yes you do!!! And how perfect that Cricket was the one to pick Trevor out for you :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
There is no way that fluffy grey with the pants is capable of murder. :3