Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Red umbrella is cooler imo, other are lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Red + beach umbrella + snowflakes are the three umbrellas I have on shuffle.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I like all the umbrellas, but snowflakes/paint splatter/red are my favourites, in that order.

I actually only have one glider in my random rotation, and that's the viking one, cause it's fuckin :krad:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I use s ton of gliders and costumes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I use s ton of gliders and costumes.

Yo I'll probably be on tomorrow night a bit later if you wanna ball again, let's beat our last streak!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm glad I only have 2 levels of the Battle Pass left, some of this week's challenges seem pretty obnoxious. 10 traps is a lot to even find, 7 Wailing Wood chest when I know of 3 spawn points there. Pickaxe damage seems tough too, I think you just have to chase someone from the bus and throw a few games on it, seems bleh.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm glad I only have 2 levels of the Battle Pass left, some of this week's challenges seem pretty obnoxious. 10 traps is a lot to even find, 7 Wailing Wood chest when I know of 3 spawn points there. Pickaxe damage seems tough too, I think you just have to chase someone from the bus and throw a few games on it, seems bleh.

Just throw a trap up every time you find one. I’d be surprised if it took ten matches.

There’s 5 or 6 chest spawns just inside the actual maze at Wailing, and more around the cars and caravans and campsites on the edges of the forest.

Every time you down someone in squads or whatever just finish them off with your pickaxe.

If you honestly think these challenges are “obnoxious” then Fortnite challenges might not be for you I’m afraid.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BizarroAzrael posted:

I got 5 of the 7 challenges in about an hour and a half this morning. I have to get 4 more chests in the woods, and lay 7 more traps.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

objectively bad posted:

- Using the weirdest god drat metrics to determine whether or not a player is good before we engage them. If you use, or do, any of the following, you're a god and we should be going into this fight afraid: John Wick. That valentine wings backbling. Switching weapons rapidly while running around. Jumping while moving. Use pre-edited pyramids as ramps.

lol none of these are particularly weird except maybe the jumping thing. The rest are mostly-true memes perpetuated by Reddit.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

John Murdoch posted:

lol none of these are particularly weird except maybe the jumping thing. The rest are mostly-true memes perpetuated by Reddit.

eh, they're pretty weird for someone above average who's been playing since season 3. He's probably better than most people we see using the john wick skin. The valentine wings have been in the store several times since they were originally released so they doesn't indicate much. Switching weapons is just spamming buttons while you run, as is jumping. The pyramids are especially weird since anyone using those pre-edited isn't going to be able to cone you when you ramp above them, so I'm actually more confident when I see someone doing that. Unless you're at the level where you get scared of someone who can ramp/wall/flat I wouldn't say any of those should be a concern.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Go to solid gold solos to get easy traps. For some reason I end up with like 15 a game within 5 or 6 kills--maybe their spawn rate is relatively boosted because of the smaller pool of potential items.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

objectively bad posted:

eh, they're pretty weird for someone above average who's been playing since season 3. He's probably better than most people we see using the john wick skin. The valentine wings have been in the store several times since they were originally released so they doesn't indicate much. Switching weapons is just spamming buttons while you run, as is jumping. The pyramids are especially weird since anyone using those pre-edited isn't going to be able to cone you when you ramp above them, so I'm actually more confident when I see someone doing that. Unless you're at the level where you get scared of someone who can ramp/wall/flat I wouldn't say any of those should be a concern.

ehh I would argue jumping does 2 things for you, you can see over a hill or something (this has actually saved me a few times from running into a squad when I'm solo or ahead of my own squad), it also makes it harder for snipers to headshot you since you're moving more erratically.

Not that it indicates skill but it (could) potentially.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
Yeah, it definitely serves an important purpose and I do it all the time, I just wouldn't get worried when I seeing someone else do it and definitely wouldn't feel the need to call it out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Considering skill levels can range from "literal 5 year old who got stuck on a tree and is trying to chop it down with bandages" all the way up to "streamer who just singlehandedly wiped out a hotspot and is walking off with all of the loot and materials from 10+ kills" I don't really see the problem with pointing out that maybe that wired, weapon-flicking Wick over there is smarter than the average fool and you might as well be a little more careful.

Not to say that any one of those things is a 100% sure sign of a god-tier streamer who's about to blow your head off, at least some that stuff is just confirmation bias, but I'd be more wary around an Omega with full lights in the same way - clearly they've got some experience under their belt.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 31, 2018

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
That's basically the plan according to the streamers I watch. Wipe a hotspot and get the adrenaline flowing, then hop around like the Easter bunny until you spot a target or someone fires a snipe at you. Ramp / shockwave / launch pad / bouncer onto them and smash them, repeat until #1.

Anyone keeping up with the competitive side of the game? (Not) Vivid, most consistent winner of the summer, just signed sign on to team liquid which is already arguably the best team. Big event at PAX west in Seattle this weekend is going to be a huge tournament in custom games with the public and pros mixed together. Going to be fun to watch the highlights and news about it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I really need to find some better binds and learn how to build-fight better. Anyone got any guides or tutorials on that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

People do what they see Ninja do. Ninja hops around, they hop around. There is a reason Ninja does it and some of the people also hopping around understand that reason and some of them just know Ninja does it.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Spacedad posted:

I really need to find some better binds and learn how to build-fight better. Anyone got any guides or tutorials on that?

I'm a Nintendo Switch scrub so take this with appropriate salt grains. Binds depend on whats comfortable and important to you. Top tier buttons for binds are those you can hit easily and don't limit you from running in any direction. Assuming WASD, Q and E seem best, followed by F, C, X, then V, Z, Alt, Shift etc.. Mouse buttons are good if you can hit them without hurting your aim. Besides the actual build pieces, you also need a good edit key, traps, and maybe a better bind for your emergency weapon (shotgun on X for example).

You can check some pro's binds. I'd especially check the top competitive players like the Liquid and Ghost guys. If / when I move to PC, I'll probably do wall on Q, stairs on E then adjust everything else for comfort.

e: For videos on build battling, Martoz has some of the best short info videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCMFEI-CWLBE8zdOu7BeSlow. I'd recommend the "How to practice buildfights / playground practice" videos, all of the advanced tip videos, and then whatever else you want to watch. Watching videos on his channel starting from the oldest ones will give you a decent foundation and an idea of how quickly the game is changing.

Once you have some basic ideas, just get out into playgrounds to practice then into a game to fight. Solid Gold is amazing for buildfights right now since it's mostly shotguns with almost no SMGs and explosives to knock down your structures. When you die, if you still had mats on hand ask yourself how you should have used them to help. You can even do pacifist run where you farm max mats and just use them for defense without shooting back. Notice your mistakes, watch your replays, watch streamers etc..

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 31, 2018

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I kind of feel like practicing build-fight scrims in playground with people who are good at build fights and can offer me pointers would probably change how I play a great deal. Really got to find a crew I can practice scrims with maybe.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sometimes I jump over smashers.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Spacedad posted:

I kind of feel like practicing build-fight scrims in playground with people who are good at build fights and can offer me pointers would probably change how I play a great deal. Really got to find a crew I can practice scrims with maybe.

There are some coaching discords where you can link up with people for build fights. Search around for your platform / region. You could also search twitch (or check if you get killed by ~~~.ttv) for a small streamer who might be willing to friend and help you.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

codo27 posted:

No, finishing off a downed opponent so that they cant be revived, long as you're sure enough there isn't any impending fire incoming, is perfectly logical and the term is just a result of 2018 loving garbage box internet kardashian jenner west culture which should be defeated at every turn.

Just deadass tell those thirsty kids to not even @ you rn

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I kill people as soon as I down them because there is a good chance I won't live until they bleed out and I want to get the kill for myself.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

That's a habit I'm trying to break lately. I find I tend to survive more often and get more kills if I don't thirst right away and try to finish the fight.

There's exceptions of course, but generally 'shooting the guys who can still shoot at you first' is a good rule of thumb.

Also you can always come back and kill them while they're trying to revive.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 31, 2018

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The past week has shattered the confidence I had in myself and my skills. I don't know what happened but every single game I've played, solo and 50v50, over the past few days has been a miserable slog where I die the moment I encounter an opponent, often in the most embarrassing and uneven way possible. It's discouraging and depressing and profoundly un-fun.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

McGlockenshire posted:

The past week has shattered the confidence I had in myself and my skills. I don't know what happened but every single game I've played, solo and 50v50, over the past few days has been a miserable slog where I die the moment I encounter an opponent, often in the most embarrassing and uneven way possible. It's discouraging and depressing and profoundly un-fun.

Strikes of bad luck are very possible in a game like this. Also you maybe had other stuff affecting you, like lack of sleep, or your internet was slower than normal.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

McGlockenshire posted:

I have the same thing playing darts this week. You know how to play the game, its just all in your head. Go in confident and things will work out. Plant the seed of doubt and its already over.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Any way, moral is to be a coward ratfuck and let everyone else get their hands dirty.

I play on Switch and I'm amazed how often I get to like the last 5 and I haven't shot anyone yet. Being a coward works for me too. (Although I've never got #1. Mostly #2s)

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Mace Bacon posted:

I play on Switch and I'm amazed how often I get to like the last 5 and I haven't shot anyone yet. Being a coward works for me too. (Although I've never got #1. Mostly #2s)

As had been endlessly discussed, getting to the top 5 consistently is easy if you’re fine with playing the most boring way possible, but you’re never going to consistently win any battles you do encounter if you never actually play the game.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?

objectively bad posted:

- loudly complaining about being thirsted while I'm still fighting. This one is funny because I specifically thirst people or shoot them once because I know half the people with mics while do this and it'll irritate their duo partner just like it irritates me. "there's one on me" - useful information. "thirsted me, what a loving mink!!!" - not useful and distracting

This thread might as well be written in Korean; I'd understand what's happening just as much.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Being horny is being "thirsty" now so these teens are really into mustelids. I hope that clears it up for you.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

My take on the thirst or not debate is that I'll thirst if I'm not in immediate danger of anything else. This stops them being able to report my position as others have said but also means I'll have their loot to fight their friend(s).

On the debate about 'thirst' being appropriate terminology I'd like to invite you to stop being so god drat old and not judge people for the language they use when it doesn't cause anyone any harm.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cluncho McChunk posted:

My take on the thirst or not debate is that I'll thirst if I'm not in immediate danger of anything else. This stops them being able to report my position as others have said but also means I'll have their loot to fight their friend(s).

On the debate about 'thirst' being appropriate terminology I'd like to invite you to stop being so god drat old and not judge people for the language they use when it doesn't cause anyone any harm.
It's just amusing because it sounds stupid as hell. That said, dook on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIA1NyYz0w

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thirst is the perfect word to use in a game that has a major mechanic based around drinking things

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

kinda surprised you can't find and eat burgers to restore your health

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I feel like shrooms should be less loud seeing you need 20 of them to get a full shield, instead of each one you consume being so loud its heard across the whole map and on several other servers.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

codo27 posted:

I feel like shrooms should be less loud seeing you need 20 of them to get a full shield, instead of each one you consume being so loud its heard across the whole map and on several other servers.

Are they loud? I've never heard anyone else eating one, huh. They still haven't lowered the ATKs volume, you can hear those things a loving mile away.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pickaxe damage seems tough too, I think you just have to chase someone from the bus and throw a few games on it, seems bleh.

Tow suggestions for this:

1 - Land on the clock tower in TT when there are other people there and smack them.

2 - Land directly where the large seats challenge leads you to and smack the 5+ other fortniters there. This will work for a limited time though as peeps are completing this challenge.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Also for the pickaxe challenge, just drop early and follow someone to the ground. If you're lucky they wont land on a weapon, of course you can abort if it looks like they will, and probably engage in a pickaxe vs pickaxe fight to the death for 90-100 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Also 50s is good for it. Down somebody and pickaxe to death.