Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Mugging victim: "You know, this could really give someone the wrong impression! They might see you taking my wallet at gunpoint like this and assume you're a thief or something!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Golli posted:

C'mon - the digital ticket buys you the right to purchase CitCon merch.

What a deal!

Well we pissed off Crytek, Skadden, etc. Let's see how we roll with the Fair Use Doctrine.

CIG: Watch this, hold my beer.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh hell yeah i did not see this one coming, this is gonna piss so many people off lol. The Citizencon stream is like the only thing that gives these people hope all year.

CIGs entire operation now seems to be "how can we stop people laughing at us?"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

peter gabriel posted:

Maybe quit doing things worthy of ridicule? No, no, hiding them behind a paywall will work, I'm sure

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I hope they're only charging for the presentations on dumb stuff like procedural walking and Big Bennys lore, and are keeping the keynote free. It would be the best of both worlds.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

a new generation is ready to renew the faith

roberts will be the modern day L. Ron Hubbard

Disco Lando is miskovich, he will take power in a quiet coup

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

So I can watch real game developers succeed for free, or I can pay to watch CIG fail?

Where do I sign up?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

Where do I sign up?

http://robertsspaceindustries.com

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Tokamak posted:

I hope they're only charging for the presentations on dumb stuff like procedural walking and Big Bennys lore, and are keeping the keynote free. It would be the best of both worlds.

Given that their messaging is unspecific on that point, leaving room for people to guess, what does your heart tell you.

They want to paywall the whole thing:
    It monetizes people who just want to watch for lols.
    It limits the broadcast of images of unsold seats in main auditorium to those who are monetarily invested.
    It captures $20 from people who would actually like to attend, but can't justify Austin flights and hotel rooms.
    But - the ambiguity gives them the room to backtrack and open up main presentations if there is sufficient backlash.

Blizzcon digital tickets were implemented because Blizzcon sold out almost instantly, and filled a legitimate user demand.

This is fulfilling a CIG desire. They have given up hope of capturing new customers and are starting to extract anchovy oil.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Even hardened backers like Agent_Mothman are pissed at this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

which was the citizen who was absolutely livid about anybody posting anything from from the closed aubergine testing on reddit?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

just lol if the digital ticket contains an NDA in the fine print.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Even hardened backers like Agent_Mothman are pissed at this.

This will prevent those not attending like Bored and Twerk from being able to stream it on their channels — which is just sticking the knife in further. Bored has flight anxiety and Twerk had job related concerns preventing him from going. Both were planning to watch and I assume restream it on their channels.

It’s a :master: of :gary:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

which was the citizen who was absolutely livid about anybody posting anything from from the closed aubergine testing on reddit?

Cymelion. Whether attending or not, he’s likely to be pissed anew.

Oh wait I misread your question - no, he was pissed that there was gated testing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

For comparison's sake:

Blizzcon tickets get you a shitload of extra stuff, including a tivo function. Also, not buying a Blizzcon ticket doesn't stop you watching the main show. I watched the BFA stream live last year with everyone else, no ticket needed.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

G0RF posted:

Bored has flight anxiety
poor guy originally backed this game to help him get over his fear and its never going to happen

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lmfao all these people on the subreddit are really angry about having to pay to watch streams of citizencon, including people who are just below the magic $800 number that gives you complementary access. following are some top level comments that seem to be mostly uncontroversial and upvoted

quote:

Guess my ~$700 is considered worthless in the face of the whales.

Nice CIG.

quote:

As I remember it I already paid for info and updates when I backed.

quote:

[–]Burr73 [score hidden] 58 minutes ago*
Legit this is the first time I've been worried about this project.

Edit: can check my post history I'm not a FUD troll or whatevs. This poo poo is not a good look.

quote:

[–]EP0XEnew user/low karma [score hidden] 49 minutes ago
Right? 1k in and i cant even watch citizen con without giving more? NOPE. Im done.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9bovd7/i_support_you_cig_but_i_will_not_be_buying_a/?st=jlhbqwo6&sh=ba578978

ed: someone points out in another thread on the subject that eve does big things every year in iceland and manage to stream for free

quote:

The prices in Iceland are probably much lower than what CIG is paying. Also, what do you think of Blizzard and all the other conventions where you have to pay money to watch their streams?

smart people on that subreddit

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 31, 2018

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Reddit is burning to the ground at the moment.

I fear that Mirificus bot will blow a capacitor trying to keep up with all the new threads :ohdear:

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

Customer: Why does this normally free thing cost money?
Marketing Director: Blah, blah ... screw it <Picture of a Porsche>

A bold new approach to marketing.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
I'm not sure why everyone has their panties in such a wad. After a half dozen CitizenCon presentation--have no fear the 2018 CitizenCon is going to have the professional polish that commands :10bux:x2!!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Henry Scorpio posted:

Customer: Why does this normally free thing cost money?
Marketing Director: Blah, blah ... screw it <Picture of a Porsche>

A bold new approach to marketing.

I think Gorf shopped that Porsche in :ssh:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Foo Diddley posted:

What makes this thread so good is you're just not sure....

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

Considering that the production will probably be much much longer and bigger than Jared+Interns can handle, I think it's worth it for all the crap we're getting.

Includes:
- Live streaming access to all presentations (let's call that "Canada Cup" - $8.95)

- In-game wearable duster jacket, (usually $5)

- CitizenCon 2948 trophy, (usually $5)

- CitizenCon 2948 Weapon, (usually $5)

- Access to purchase exclusive CitizenCon merchandise, (Implicit because of Subscription)

- plus an Imperator subscription for the month of October. ($20 sub - it's free!)

I'm kinda okay with this. I'll probably get the ticket, since that's easily worth double the asking price.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

wow so it's going to be fifteen minutes long?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

Next year it won't be a photohsop.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I love it when subreddits have huge meltdowns over basically inconsequential video game news

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Wait, does this mean we'll have to wait to mock Citcon trainwreck this year!?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

For real. I’m having a hard time believing it. It just so dumb it defies belief.

Well that’s a hypetrain.gif waiting to happen.

It's absolutely loving breathtaking. Even I wouldn't have called this kind of naked aggression and cynicism towards backers. I can't wait to see basically the same presentation we had last year but this time on two stages, and watch the "Holy gently caress I paid $20 for this shitshow" rationalizations

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hmm, I wonder if this come from Sandi experience of having people pay to watch videos she is in on the internet?

It Mae?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

For comparison's sake:

Blizzcon tickets get you a shitload of extra stuff, including a tivo function. Also, not buying a Blizzcon ticket doesn't stop you watching the main show. I watched the BFA stream live last year with everyone else, no ticket needed.

And they currently have 5 released actively supported games plus Diablo 3 which is getting a switch port this year and a huge back catalogue of critically acclaimed, chart topping, genre defining games. CIG has released nothing and is nowhere close to having anything.

I used in game WoW gold last year to buy a virtual ticket and got WoW mounts that were well worth the in game gold I paid.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
My irony meter just overloaded.

Reddit posted:

Why increase the scope so much that it requires more money?

I understand it's probably going to be a very cool and impressive presentation, but could they not just film prior and lower the costs?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
What!!! Well gently caress watching these idiots fail on stage live was one of the main things I look forward to with this project.

I'm certainty not giving them money.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Listen, and understand. That Crobear is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are broke.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

They are now claiming to provide archives of the presentations, and that you are only paying to watch the show live. Good enough for me, and will still massively gently caress with the biggest fans. Keep doing what you are doing CIG!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

They are running out of money and each presentation is an embarrassment, last con was chuck full of trolls laughing at the poo poo show.

I mean... you're not wrong.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

It's absolutely loving breathtaking. Even I wouldn't have called this kind of naked aggression and cynicism towards backers. I can't wait to see basically the same presentation we had last year but this time on two stages, and watch the "Holy gently caress I paid $20 for this shitshow" rationalizations

The production quality is dropping??? Better pledge more!!!!!!

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
lol imagine giving CIG money in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Tokamak posted:

They are now claiming to provide archives of the presentations, and that you are only paying to watch the show live. Good enough for me, and will still massively gently caress with the biggest fans. Keep doing what you are doing CIG!

Ahh, but you see the archive will be like all their other stuff. All the hilarious shitshow will be cut out.