Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For me the puzzles in GOW kind of sat in a middle ground between the totally vacuous puzzles of most modern action games, and games with actual satisfying puzzles. I defiantly didn't think they detracted from the game but they weren't anything to write home about either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

For me the puzzles in GOW kind of sat in a middle ground between the totally vacuous puzzles of most modern action games, and games with actual satisfying puzzles. I defiantly didn't think they detracted from the game but they weren't anything to write home about either.

It's a wash!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What’s the best puzzle(s) in any game? I’m just trying to figure out what’s the “best” to compare against but most puzzle I can think of are just basic poo poo that are either super simple or SO SIMPLE that they become confusing because my idiot brain goes “no it can’t be this easy” and I fumble around the answer like a moron.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The best spider-man villain is Peter Parker's personal train-wreck of a life.

And in second place: JJJ.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The best most cerebral puzzle in any game is me trying to competently control my mind and body when Kiryu/Majima appear shirtless on screen together.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Guys OMG look what I found in the basement!

I had no idea I ever got anything like that and I'm kind of at a loss, I didn't think I knew anything about Yakuza before but here's an action figure in a box! Wow! I don't even...

Oh. THAT Kiryu...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

People just dont like make work bullshit puzzle/obstacles where you see exactly what you need to do and have to go through the boring motions unless its zelda

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

:tviv: was on the fence but optimistic since they seem to be making it very much like Soul Blade on PS1. This just made it an instabuy.

Yeah, it definitely seems like it captures the feeling of Soul Edge and the first 3 Calibur games...while doing its best to forget the muck of 4 and 5. And the cool slowmo draw thing that Tekken 7 has seems to be there in some incarnation, too. Feels like Namco finally woke up and started caring again.

Excited to play as Sophitia, Seung Mina, Sigfried, etc though I'll miss Setsuka and Hilde for sure, cause Azwel and Groh look like poo poo :(

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s the best puzzle(s) in any game? I’m just trying to figure out what’s the “best” to compare against but most puzzle I can think of are just basic poo poo that are either super simple or SO SIMPLE that they become confusing because my idiot brain goes “no it can’t be this easy” and I fumble around the answer like a moron.

The swapper was genius the whole way through

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, it definitely seems like it captures the feeling of Soul Edge and the first 3 Calibur games...while doing its best to forget the muck of 4 and 5. And the cool slowmo draw thing that Tekken 7 has seems to be there in some incarnation, too. Feels like Namco finally woke up and started caring again.

Excited to play as Sophitia, Seung Mina, Sigfried, etc though I'll miss Setsuka and Hilde for sure, cause Azwel and Groh look like poo poo :(

And Hwang is still unconfirmed, right? And Cassandra? Either way I was all in at “Sophitia statue”.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My copy of Kiwami 2 was supposed to be delivered today and I’m still waiting

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

My copy of Kiwami 2 was supposed to be delivered today and I’m still waiting

Amazon really sucks at release day or near release day delivery. More and more frequently I have issues with them. It has actually gotten me back into going to Gamestop again, especially now that both they and BestBuy no longer do the 20% off on new games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Morby posted:

And Hwang is still unconfirmed, right? And Cassandra? Either way I was all in at “Sophitia statue”.

Either Hwang or Yun-seong will be there, though I'm guessing Cassandra, Li Long, and dare I say Cervantes are probably sitting out, along with a lot of lovely anime characters from V.

Rock, Raphael, Setsuka, Hilde are possible, perhaps even likely.

Voldo and Lizardman are a loving lock tho, and I don't know why they're being coy about it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Voldo got a trailer, they aren't being coy.

Still hope Cervantes makes it in.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s the best puzzle(s) in any game?

Any game?
Portal and Portal 2 for me, hands down.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This is the leaked roster from April, notable because it includes the new Shang-Tsung mofo's name before he was ever officially announced.

Mitsurugi
Seong Mi-na
Taki
Maxi
Voldo
Sophitia
Siegfried
Ivy
Kilik
Xianghua
Yoshimitsu
Nightmare
Astaroth
Inferno
Cervantes
Raphael
Talim
Tira
Zasalamel
Groh
Azwel
Geralt

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I just started God if War and my PS4 sounds like it's going to explode.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Morby posted:

Amazon really sucks at release day or near release day delivery. More and more frequently I have issues with them. It has actually gotten me back into going to Gamestop again, especially now that both they and BestBuy no longer do the 20% off on new games.

It’s been “Out for delivery” all day so I don’t understand. I’m having severe Kiryu withdrawal

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'd nominate anything from The Witness, I thought it did a near perfect job of making puzzles difficult but not impenetrable or obtuse. I spent an evening struggling to get a start on the desert laser and when I finally realized what the gimmick was, the click in my head was deafening, it made perfect sense. Very satisfying

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yup.
Try not to hang out in menus or it really goes wild

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Witness is cool but some of the puzzles severely broke my brain

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Oh, cool, I missed that.

exquisite tea posted:

This is the leaked roster from April, notable because it includes the new Shang-Tsung mofo's name before he was ever officially announced.

Mitsurugi
Seong Mi-na
Taki
Maxi
Voldo
Sophitia
Siegfried
Ivy
Kilik
Xianghua
Yoshimitsu
Nightmare
Astaroth
Inferno
Cervantes
Raphael
Talim
Tira
Zasalamel
Groh
Azwel
Geralt

Nice, Cervantes! Still sad to not see a few characters like Hilde and Setsuka on there when poo poo like Inferno made the cut. I'm sure they'll milk me for money with DLC characters, though I kind of just wish they'd put them on disc so I could travel to friend's houses and play without hassle.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Divinity Sins 2 first impression:

Is good, and well made. And pretty. It plays safe by creating a setup that is super-classical for rpgs (you start has a prisoner). I am fighting the camera, because the game want to show a large map and I want to zoom-in and see every detail.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

GoW looks amazing, but the framerate has its issues.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Any game?
Portal and Portal 2 for me, hands down.

Same.

I think Zelda is my favorite for games that don't just revolve around puzzles.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I started a side story. Kids came home. Have to wait until they go to bed to turn on game again.

Yakuza

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are you playing in pro performance mode? Its like 45-55 and erratic as hell.
High res mode is very stable 30
Idk about slim performance tho.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

punk rebel ecks posted:

If you're playing on a Pro in 1080p then turn off the PS4's own native supersampling option.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Day Man posted:

Welp, I got this Yakuza game because everyone said it was great, played for an hour and a half last night, saw no option to save in the menus, so I figured it must autosave after missions.

Nope.

I know this is from a bazillion pages ago, but why not just use rest mode? :confused:

e: oh, this was addressed, my b :downs:

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 31, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Are you playing in pro performance mode? Its like 45-55 and erratic as hell.
High res mode is very stable 30
Idk about slim performance tho.

I have old-school PS4.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

beep by grandpa posted:

I just got to the first weapons-only coliseum match in KIWAMI 1 and boy does it suck. I actually just stood there and lost on purpose because I was doing so little damage with the wooden katana it just wasn't worth it doing 2 more fights like that lol

Use the knuckles. Lets you fight in rush style

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Mine did too, from start to finish. But it never actually exploded and it was a fantastic video game from start to finish, so stick with it if you can!

Also avoid information about it if you keep playing, cause I got a cool moment spoiled for me and it sucked.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I got the YouTube thumbnail treatment

"LOOK AT THIS AWESOME BOSS!!1!"

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mine was just a thumbnail for a story about new game+ coming out. Fuckin Kotaku I knew I shouldn't be readin that drat website...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Even Googling character names will give you end game spoilers

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Baron posted:

Fuckin Kotaku I knew I shouldn't be readin that drat website...

:hai:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Everybody's Golf dropped a new DLC course, didn't know they were still adding stuff. New course will be open to all in the finals of the international tournament coming up so make sure to qualify (which is usually a really low bar to clear).

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

I know I hosed up. I was bored at work dammit! The lesson is not lost on me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kotaku is good and pro Yakuza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I got the YouTube thumbnail treatment

"LOOK AT THIS AWESOME BOSS!!1!"

I googled GOW for some reason on release day, shortly after I met the witch and the first result was a Youtube video titled Kratos kills Baulder and becomes Freya's Enemy!