Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm actually enjoying Far Cry 5 quite a bit.

None of the other games in the series really kept my attention for very long, but FC5 kind of feels like the closest thing we are ever going to get to a modern Redneck Rampage game and it's
kind of fun just wandering around exploring trailer parks and other Hickville USA locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
imo the reason stories suck rear end in games is cause they use cutscenes. youre playing a game, then suddenly you watch a loving animation, then youre back playing a game and the switch between the two makes it impossible to really get immersed in either

imo all games should be no cutscenes basically ever like half life 1. although obviously thats unrealistic to expect and not possible all the time

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Descent 2's cutscenes have yet to be topped

In addition to being good and short they were really high-res for the era

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Vakal posted:

I'm actually enjoying Far Cry 5 quite a bit.

None of the other games in the series really kept my attention for very long, but FC5 kind of feels like the closest thing we are ever going to get to a modern Redneck Rampage game and it's
kind of fun just wandering around exploring trailer parks and other Hickville USA locations.

Don't get any of the DLC, all of it is dogshit

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Dravis you son of a-

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

signalnoise posted:

GTA is the most boring series of its genre

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Good soup! posted:

Dravis you son of a-

Dropped the ball hard with Descent 3

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Descent 2's Redbook audio soundtrack is perfection

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Good soup! posted:

Descent 2's Redbook audio soundtrack is perfection

Descent 1's midi tracks are amazing with the right equipment

Vakal
May 11, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

In addition to being good and short they were really high-res for the era

One of my favorite game cutscenes of all time was from Descent: Freespace where the humans enter a disabled Shivan ship and make face-to-face contact for the first time, and instead of meeting generic humanoid aliens like in every sci-fi thing ever, the Shivans turn out to be giant 5-armed brutes that absolutely tear the human's poo poo up.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

here's an unpopular opinion, half of apple's design choices are trash

Everything MUST be a touchscreen dogma infesting everything has seriously set technology back 10 years

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hey steve jobs, buttons are good. Theyre better than good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Steve Jobs didn't even think chemotherapy was good when a doctor told him, you've got no chance of getting through to him

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jack Trades posted:

Sounds like you don't play a lot of games.

I'm not gonna be as hyperbolic as him, but as someone who was enough of an FPS nut in the late 90's and early 00's to be able to snap railgun someone flying off a jump pad in Quake 3 Arena and basically played nearly every PC shooter from doodoo to brilliance, the campaigns in the Halo series are generally bomb as gently caress (I didn't care about MP). The AI makes fighting Elites and Brutes on Legendary exhilarating. Reminds me of how FEAR and Half-Life end up reinstalled on my PC just so I can boot up the parts with the replica soldiers and grunts and have a firefight.

For a REAL unpopular opinion: 343 Studios has done a stellar job with the Halo series and most of the updates people complain about (ie adding sprinting and other poo poo) were necessary to keep the series from becoming stale. Also they actually utilize the relatively decent lore and content from the books and comics, unlike Bungie, who commissioned the novels but barely referenced them (and often contradicted them).

Also the 343 Halo titles have actual character development.

EDIT: Also, controller chat, the Microsoft Duke for the OG Xbox is my favorite controller design. I'm a piece of poo poo.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 30, 2018

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

2house2fly posted:

Steve Jobs didn't even think chemotherapy was good when a doctor told him, you've got no chance of getting through to him

I mean, there's other reasons you can't get through to him now.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

QuarkJets posted:

claiming that video games always have worse story than books only proves that you don't read many books

read better books. watch a movie, any movie. games are below bottom tier: aesthetics, writing, imaginativeness, it's all sub-par, no matter how high the budget or how good the team. they often don't even have good UIs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

I mean, there's other reasons you can't get through to him now.

Here's one: Steve Jobs is loving dead

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Harrow posted:

Due to their interactivity, games can be fantastically atmospheric, or use their interconnected systems to allow players to experience their own emergent story.

otoh due to its interactivity, an atmospheric, promisingly adult game with incredible production values like heavy rain turned into a farce where your character can literally fail at turning a door handle. how did no one at any point of development notice how turning the game into a tech demo for the sixaxis made it ridiculous and completely undermined the mood

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

jimmyjams posted:

imo the reason stories suck rear end in games is cause they use cutscenes. youre playing a game, then suddenly you watch a loving animation, then youre back playing a game and the switch between the two makes it impossible to really get immersed in either

imo all games should be no cutscenes basically ever like half life 1. although obviously thats unrealistic to expect and not possible all the time
You must love quick time events in cutscenes. :v:

(now that's an unpopular opinion)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

hackbunny posted:

otoh due to its interactivity, an atmospheric, promisingly adult game with incredible production values like heavy rain turned into a farce where your character can literally fail at turning a door handle. how did no one at any point of development notice how turning the game into a tech demo for the sixaxis made it ridiculous and completely undermined the mood

That video where the FBI dude is tripping and falling over everything in the supermarket and it turns a tense chase into Benny Hill.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I love the superior aesthetic of my Tom Clancy pulp thriller, which is art, unlike any video game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Im not necessarily disagreeing with you but I'm curious: what books do you think are good have bad or mediocre stories in them?

A good story is only one component of what can make a good book; The Hobbit is widely considered a good book, and it is that because it has a fantastic setting and interesting characters, but its story is mediocre at best because Tolkein was more of a folklore historian than a storyteller

The Magicians is a trilogy of books that has basically a dogshit story but is good despite that; it has an interesting setting and flawed characters who are interesting to read about even if the story they're participating in is pretty hackneyed

Twelve Batmans posted:

You should actually read lots of bad books and good books because chances are you will find some bad books you like just like there are bad tv shows you like and bad video games you like and being anything but upfront and honest about the things you like and why you like them is sequacious and self-deceiving and loving bitch-made.

but if you're pretty certain that you're not going to like it then you shouldn't waste your precious time on this earth reading it, like you wouldn't go and read a bunch of encyclopedias on the off-chance that maybe there's an interesting narrative in a few of the entries

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 30, 2018

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pull up, thread, pull up!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The best game based off of a book is S.T.A.L.K.E.R, which also happens to be the best horror game ever made without even trying

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hackbunny posted:

Good ol' David Cage. He's never seen a promising concept he couldn't sabotage.

Really I don't just mean interactivity in the sense of picking dialog options and stuff like that, either. Just the act of controlling a player character is a form of interaction, so games that aren't all that narrative--even really really gameplay-driven games like Darkest Dungeon--can still result in interesting stories and player reactions even without anyone writing a story, or any dialog, or anything like that. It's not a literary experience, or anything, but it's unique to games and that's kinda cool I think. Whether it has any sort of Meaning or Significance is something I don't really think is worth rehashing yet again in this thread :v:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld are good examples of emergent stories that arise from the player interacting with the game.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

my point is that I think interactivity undermines narration by default, and you need to design a game very carefully to avoid that. basically almost all games with a story are comedies, intentional or not

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hackbunny posted:

my point is that I think interactivity undermines narration by default, and you need to design a game very carefully to avoid that. basically almost all games with a story are comedies, intentional or not

It also depends on the kind of game, most likely.

An example where interactivity tends to undermine the narrative is, say, Uncharted. With the exception of extremely scripted set pieces, there are very few times where the player's actions while you're controlling Nathan Drake are really going to line up with the way we see Drake portrayed when he's not in the player's control. There are a lot of ways that this can and does go wrong in Uncharted, with the player being less competent than Drake or even more competent than Drake (in the cutscenes he is not the man popping off effortless headshots on dozens of dudes while moving around like a goddamn ninja). At best, you can handwave it away by saying that the gameplay segments are abstracting the narrative between the cutscenes, but just like you said, that's undermining the narrative.

Games that avoid this tend to be more of a closed system, like Pyre. The parts where you're playing an action game are pretty binary--you're going to win, or you're going to lose. And because the narrative accommodates both possibilities, you can't really undermine the narrative with how you play. In between, you're basically playing fantasy-Oregon-Trail-but-it's-also-a-visual-novel, which basically means that most of your decisions are made within a defined set of options, and while things dovetail quite a bit and some of those decisions can be really impactful, it's still a closed system. That's a case where interactivity is factored into every element, but also limited by the form.

The really wide-open examples like Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld can certainly devolve into comedies, but they're also capable of producing something less ridiculous--it's just that there's always the possibility for it to spiral off into (intentional or unintentional) farce. That's definitely a limitation of those very systems-driven, "interacting with the systems lets you produce your own story" kinds of games and it would be interesting to see if there is a way to design around it without just making something that isn't fun to play. I haven't played it myself, but I suspect that This War of Mine has some potential in that regard. (Then again, that's another relatively closed system with only a couple of gameplay modes.)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, the best games tend to be non-interactive.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Harrow posted:

An example where interactivity tends to undermine the narrative is, say, Uncharted. With the exception of extremely scripted set pieces, there are very few times where the player's actions while you're controlling Nathan Drake are really going to line up with the way we see Drake portrayed when he's not in the player's control. There are a lot of ways that this can and does go wrong in Uncharted, with the player being less competent than Drake or even more competent than Drake (in the cutscenes he is not the man popping off effortless headshots on dozens of dudes while moving around like a goddamn ninja). At best, you can handwave it away by saying that the gameplay segments are abstracting the narrative between the cutscenes, but just like you said, that's undermining the narrative.

The over-stretching of the 'cinematic' game concept just happened to coincide with a new level of discourse and critical fluency regarding videogame storytelling between 2010-13. Uncharted was one of the examples of a property that successfully bridged that gap between the two periods, but just barely, and served as an example of things that would go out of style as dev technology advanced. (other series weren't as lucky: Bioshock, God of War, Halo, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear all kind of burned their bridge at the end of last gen...and God of War had to go through a fairly comprehensive, somewhat embarrassing conceptual restructuring)

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Harrow posted:

Most definitely this. Obviously it doesn't work in all games, but when it hits, it hits hard. One of the reasons Lisa: The Painful is so striking is because of how it weaves the gameplay into the story, particularly in how your character changes over the course of the game.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah it would be hard for games to get as bad as they were when everyone working in games wanted to be a movie director. It's still there but a lot of that "cinematic" gameplay is being fairly criticized. I really hate having control of my character wrestled away from me so I can watch a shittier and more wooden version of a movie. Lets games tell their stories through what sets them apart from other mediums, interactivity with the game itself.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The save/load screen turns every game into a time travel story.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DebonaireD posted:

The save/load screen turns every game into a time travel story.

Also paper bookmarks, table of contents, dvd menus, television commercials, compact disc track selection, rewinding vhs, flipping cassette tapes or vinyl, and dropping the needle on dead wax.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Also paper bookmarks, table of contents, dvd menus, television commercials, compact disc track selection, rewinding vhs, flipping cassette tapes or vinyl, and dropping the needle on dead wax.

Pffbpt! None of those are even remotely the same thing. Alllll of those play out the same way when you resume. The worst thing about game narratives is all the momentum farting away when you get stuck in a spot and have to do it over and over again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DebonaireD posted:

Pffbpt! None of those are even remotely the same thing. Alllll of those play out the same way when you resume. The worst thing about game narratives is all the momentum farting away when you get stuck in a spot and have to do it over and over again.

Basic lesson of pinball, which apparently some rubes never bother to learn.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Of course, there are games like Bloodborne and Planescape Torment where dying and reloading are built into the gameplay experience. Nier Automata does a version of that, I think the original Bioshock and the Borderlands games do too?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
If I glance at the clock on the wall while I'm playing a game and hours have flown by, it's a good loving game.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Guacamelee 2 is not a sequel, it's Guacamelee 1 DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Videogame stories also largely loving suck because of pacing issues. How am I supposed to care about the characters in Mass Effect when 90% of their character development is them blubbering out their stupid rear end backstories to me because I reached some arbitrary point in the plot.
And how am I supposed to give a poo poo, or feel real heft to the narrative and its tensions if I'm free to go drive a dumb piece of poo poo tank around on a rock for two hours?
No movie is going to show you a dude tediously mining asteroids for several hours so he can buy a better gun.

RPGs have defacto some of the most dogshit stories for exactly this reason.