Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and there's no possible way for it to be an homage to classic animation, that's just unthinkable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Unmoving Plaid has been around forever. It's a very stylised choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaG9Kkkdfx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcZUPDMXzJ8&t=124s

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Marie Severin passed away

https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-marie-severin-frequently-unsung-marvel-comics-l-1828729298

Pretty good stuff.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I think the immovable plaid thing works a lot better when it's just a few splashes like the skirts on those Gotham Academy covers, rather than a huge garish blob covering up the center like that Lex Luthor cover.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I like how that same cover was posted in the funny panels thread and people just said "haha, it's like the salesman in Monkey Island". Jesus christ guys, unmoving plaid is a perfectly fine stylistic choice and is in no way lazy.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Not out of a comic book, but MIRROR DON'T WORK THAT WAY! GOOD NIGHT!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a Frank Cho wet dream, he gets to draw full tits AND rear end.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was out of a comic.

Not that it makes up for his comicgater spank material 'sjw owning' commissions, but some of the variants are genuinely beautiful.

and most are thankfully pretty wholesome. It's a shame if he really does just have to keep returning to the garbage heap to make a living.

edit: Though that's just an excuse. No other working professional seems to have to do that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 1, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
True. Dude is absolutely talented. A shame he's a massive fuckstick.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

That was out of a comic.

Probably a reference to this painting:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not that it makes up for his comicgater spank material 'sjw owning' commissions, but some of the variants are genuinely beautiful.

I don't think I could explain why, but I don't like something about the linework on that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

goatface posted:

I don't think I could explain why, but I don't like something about the linework on that.
The folds and ruffles on the dress bottom don't match the weird lines on the dress itself?

Rhyno posted:

True. Dude is absolutely talented. A shame he's a massive fuckstick.
It's not just that he's talented, he's got a rock-solid grasp of anatomics and composition, which puts him leagues above the Liefelds that have talent or drive but shaky foundations. The only person I can compare him to is, like, Terry Moore (and he's firmly rooted in Cheesecakey fun stuff). Which makes his juvenile bullshit all the more exasperating because he's such a good artist.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Same artist.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Salad Fingers is big in Japan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Say Nothing posted:

Same artist.

Is...is that parasyte?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

Same artist.

This is an image of me visiting a friend in treatment in the hospital, I accidentally touched a healing crystal and it caused my fingers to grow

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Guessing that's a Clamp manga?

They've always been pretty ':lol: proportions'

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Phy posted:

This is an image of me visiting a friend in treatment in the hospital, I accidentally touched a healing crystal and it caused my fingers to grow

gently caress

gently caress

I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT THAT YOU BASTARD

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Phy posted:

Savidudeosoo posted:

gently caress

gently caress

What's this? :nyoron:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If a little pony tries to treat your cancer with crystals, dont accept, it'll make your fingers grow

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Infinitum posted:

What's this? :nyoron:

Someones incredibly specific fetish

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's certainly one of the best pieces of comic book art I've ever seen.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thanks, I hate it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Savidudeosoo posted:

gently caress

gently caress

My work here is done

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phy posted:

My work here is done

Hopefully a mod will get round to making that official.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Really lucky her name was already Handia.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I used to read comics a bit when I was younger, but I was never one to follow any specific character or story arc with any consistency. I'd wander into a comic book store every couple months and pick up a few individual issues here and there based on what art I liked. Needless to say, none of these comics made much of an impression on me because I was really just seeing single vertical slices of much more detailed stories. The one exception, and the only single issue comic that I still have a copy of, was Wolverine #90 from February of 1995.

Warning: this post contains spoilers for a 23-year old issue of Wolverine (and huge images). That said, I do not spoil the actual ending of the issue.

THIS THING HAS SO MANY FOLD-OUT PAGES. It blew my goddamn mind. And still does, I suppose, since I've held onto it all these years. It starts with a wrap-around cover that features Adam Kubert art over a painting by Tim and Greg Hildebrandt:

Following the obligatory FLEER ULTRA SKELETON WARRIORS ad on the inside of the cover, the book start out with a fold-out of Wolverine approaching an imprisoned Sabertooth who is watching a newscast about a group of cops beating the poo poo out of a accused serial killer. FORESHADOWING PERHAPS?!?

This leads into the first of two four-page fold-outs as an enraged Sabertooth lunges toward his captor:

While the door frame looks admittedly a bit wonky, I think the characters both look great. Especially Wolverine whose face which is drawn from a perspective that is not terribly common.

The highlight of the issue comes later though, a three-page spread of the inevitable showdown between Wolverine and Sabertooth (complete with poor Wolvie getting socked in the nads):

Not one to just sit there and take a beating, Wolverine channels his inner Hulk Hogan (this is 1995, after all) and turns the tides in the issue's other four-page fold out:

Wolverine looks awesome. Sabertooth's head is obviously deformed as all hell but in a way that really sells the force behind his unfortunate impact with the wall. Reading the physical issue this image is over 2 feet long and pretty goddamn impressive.

There are a couple other foldouts within the book, including the final page, but I didn't want to end up posting the whole issue. Long story short - it's definitely worth a look. It's a whopping $1.99 on comixology on it's own but they're running a buy-one-get-one Marvel promo using code BOGO this month, so it can cost you even less than that.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Timotheous Venture posted:

I used to read comics a bit when I was younger, but I was never one to follow any specific character or story arc with any consistency. I'd wander into a comic book store every couple months and pick up a few individual issues here and there based on what art I liked. Needless to say, none of these comics made much of an impression on me because I was really just seeing single vertical slices of much more detailed stories. The one exception, and the only single issue comic that I still have a copy of, was Wolverine #90 from February of 1995.

This is what bums me out about comics post like 1980. It used to be, every comic was a complete story, or multiple complete stories, that could draw in a new reader no matter which issue was their first. Decompressed storytelling has distinctly increased the cinematic feel of a distinctly un-cinematic medium at the expense of a lot of the things it did well.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Decompressed storytelling can be really great, but I think its being the standard has encouraged a lot of mediocre writers to use it as a crutch. So many six issue arcs these days are just, "two things happen, slowly".

Letting your story sprawl out is an easy trap to fall into, and the way comics are sold and published these days encourages careless sprawl. It totally supports the natural temptation to forgo editing, never cut a scene, never even out the pacing, because you know you have 132 pages to tell any given story, regardless of how much meat your plot actually has on its bones.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

This is what bums me out about comics post like 1980. It used to be, every comic was a complete story, or multiple complete stories, that could draw in a new reader no matter which issue was their first. Decompressed storytelling has distinctly increased the cinematic feel of a distinctly un-cinematic medium at the expense of a lot of the things it did well.

This is kind of true, but increasingly less so as you make your way through the 70s. Even in the mid to late 60s there were some fantastic arcs that drew out over multiple issues. Yeah, the one page recap can get you up to speed to an extent, but they suffered heavily if you just jumped in on a random issue. Thor, Dr. Strange, Steranko’s Fury... even some of those FF or S-M arcs didn’t work great if you grabbed the second or third issue in the arc.

Hell, Marvel made a big deal when they went to the one and done format in 1970 (69 maybe?). That lasted for a year and made the books markedly worse.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I miss Wolverine calling Professor X 'Charley' and 'Chuck' :unsmith:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Wolverine #90 was great. The ending with his middle claw stabbing Sabretooth was a huge surprise. And right after this the next four issues were part of Age of Apocalypse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

remusclaw posted:

I'm exactly the opposite but I also only read trades. I tried to keep current once (during Secret War lol) and it was ridiculous

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Infinitum posted:

I miss Wolverine calling Professor X 'Charley' and 'Chuck' :unsmith:

One or the other has been dead for years. It'll come back.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

zoux posted:

I'm exactly the opposite but I also only read trades. I tried to keep current once (during Secret War lol) and it was ridiculous

I am not old enough to have experienced the previous situation first hand, it's all after the fact reading. So same, after a small period when I got back into comics where I bought some comics at the local PX when bored one day, I just stopped buying them and focused on the trades because that was the only way to get anything like a full story.

To be fair to decompressed storytelling, those old comics are dense as gently caress sometimes to the point being a drag to read. Finding a comfy medium would be nice. Modern trades often read faster than single issues of the old paradigm.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 6, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like stories that go on multiple issues if it doesn't feel like the writer is spinning their wheels. Unfortunately that's the way a lot of them feel.

The old jump in comics were funny because they'd always have to have a piece of dialogue to remind you of the character's power.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Someone remind me what Wolverine's adamantium claws can cut through. Additionally how close to invulnerable is Cannonball when he's blastin'

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly that Claremont run of X-Men is probably as close to that comfy medium as there is. Most issues are one story but there is a continuity and occasional multi issue story to shake things up. So do that comic companies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

With Marvel Unlimited consistently being only six months behind, it's an incredibly convenient way to keep somewhat current on books that you aren't bothering to get trades for or whatever. Or just check out some random run to decide if you want to own a hard copy or whatever. There's been a few authors/artists I probably wouldn't have known about otherwise, but now I'll pick up pretty much anything they work on.