Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

elmer chud posted:

The concept is sound but the execution is lacking.

The concept owns and the execution owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

I don't want to go back to sliding failure points in phones.

When has any sliding phone ever failed? I still have a PEBL and a SLDR that work fine a decade later. We're talking about a device with a lifespan of 3 years tops, I think it'll be fine.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LastInLine posted:

When has any sliding phone ever failed? I still have a PEBL and a SLDR that work fine a decade later. We're talking about a device with a lifespan of 3 years tops, I think it'll be fine.

I think that the sliding mechanism is powered rather than manual, and if so it could absolutely fail assuming that manual manipulation doesn't work. Otherwise, I agree.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I had this phone for like four years and it worked perfectly every time, I'm still kind of envious of my typing prowess on it

E: it had a sliding a keyboard seeing as it's not really obvious in the pic

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 31, 2018

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Huawei Honor Magic 2 is a manual sliding phone which got announced today. They said they were announcing it earlier than they'd like because a competitor found out about it and was doing a similar design; Xiaomi posted that image of their own sliding phone a couple hours later. I'm guessing Xiaomi's is also manual, not automatic.

(who knows if either copied from the other, or who actually came up with it first)

Lowtax2
Aug 31, 2018

Mental Hospitality posted:

ZTE has a new Axon phone out. The Axon 9 Pro!

While the Axon 7 was somewhat unique, this appears to just be another Android Phone [2018]. It does have stock Android and very respectable specs, if the price is right it could be a solid buy.

Hi guys,

I will preface this with the fact that I am a literal retard. So if a Device Engineer who knows everything about Android Devices comes in here and says I don't know what I'm talking about, listen to them.

I work for one of the carriers. I do not work in customer care, but rather on the network itself. We sell ZTE phones. I see problems with ZTE phones. These are serious, emergency call-related issues that I think could potentially affect your personal safety as a ZTE owner. I am not a whistle blower and do not think this is a legal issue per se, but if you want to save money I think there are better ways to do it than on the device you will use if you ever call 911. Please consider not buying a budget phone. Please do not doxx me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lowtax2 posted:

Hi guys,

I will preface this with the fact that I am a literal retard. So if a Device Engineer who knows everything about Android Devices comes in here and says I don't know what I'm talking about, listen to them.

I work for one of the carriers. I do not work in customer care, but rather on the network itself. We sell ZTE phones. I see problems with ZTE phones. These are serious, emergency call-related issues that I think could potentially affect your personal safety as a ZTE owner. I am not a whistle blower and do not think this is a legal issue per se, but if you want to save money I think there are better ways to do it than on the device you will use if you ever call 911. Please consider not buying a budget phone. Please do not doxx me.

What an odd first post for a brand new reg named Lowtax2.

Lowtax2
Aug 31, 2018

CLAM DOWN posted:

What an odd first post for a brand new reg named Lowtax2.

I'm not trying to hide the fact that I registered an account just to make that post. I have an existing account on SA. 99% of people won't be impacted by the concerns I have, which is one reason why I obfuscate my identity. I just think people should consider buying phones with good quality control, seriously you rely on this thing to save your life if you are trapepd in a burning building or something. Don't treat it like some entertainment bullshit.

edit: Just want to be extra clear that theres no legal issue here.. these things pass FCC regulations etc. But dont be a retard, you rely on this thing literally every single day of your life, including in unanticipated emergency situations. why buy the cheapest viable option for this, the emergency call device, rather than the TV you literally only use to watch stupid CW shows or something? Or buy a 300$ graphics card instead of a 1000$ one?

Lowtax2 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 31, 2018

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

By save our life you mean livestream the disaster as it happens so i think camera quality is certainly the issue here

Thanks for bringing it to our attention

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lowtax2 posted:

I'm not trying to hide the fact that I registered an account just to make that post. I have an existing account on SA. 99% of people won't be impacted by the concerns I have, which is one reason why I obfuscate my identity. I just think people should consider buying phones with good quality control, seriously you rely on this thing to save your life if you are trapepd in a burning building or something. Don't treat it like some entertainment bullshit.

You have literally said nothing concrete nor new nor revolutionary nor eye-opening. You're the one treating this like some kind of "entertainment bullshit". Either offer something substantial with facts or whatever to back it up, or stop.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
There's been no leak regarding the price of the new Pixels right? I'm a tad concerned Google will follow Apple and Samsungs lead and rise prices again.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

OhFunny posted:

There's been no leak regarding the price of the new Pixels right? I'm a tad concerned Google will follow Apple and Samsungs lead and rise prices again.

There was and it said the XL 3 would be about 100 bucks cheaper than the XL 2 was iirc.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Just rumors right now.

Supposedly, they'll be either exactly at last year's price or $50-100 cheaper.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Wasabi the J posted:

There's probably a messed up permission. Check/reset permissions Android Auto and try again?

Nope :( Been there, done that. I've reset Android Auto, Podcast Addict too (and also re-installed it altogether), still the same problem. Unless the internal storage is being actively used, the podcast (or music) playback won't start. I'm starting to think this problem is specific to Huawei.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

elmer chud posted:

I think that the sliding mechanism is powered rather than manual, and if so it could absolutely fail assuming that manual manipulation doesn't work. Otherwise, I agree.

Ah yeah, I wouldn't want a powered doohickey either. I don't understand how hard it is to just have a clicky FFC. It's the easy solution since you not only get rid of the camera but now you have something to absent-mindedly click when you're bored.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

Ah yeah, I wouldn't want a powered doohickey either. I don't understand how hard it is to just have a clicky FFC. It's the easy solution since you not only get rid of the camera but now you have something to absent-mindedly click when you're bored.

Huawei has got you covered:

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/huawei-honor-magic-2-preview/

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Well, looking like the regular p3 for me when they drop. A little apprehensive about the small battery, but if wireless charging shows up, I won't worry about it much.

Same screen size as the OG XL, so that's great, and I won't have the hugephone package.

Really hoping for IP68+ so I can stop using those bag things when we go to the water parks.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

AlexDeGruven posted:

Same screen size as the OG XL, so that's great, and I won't have the hugephone package.

The diagonal is the same but due to the different aspect ratio it has fewer square inches than the OG XL.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

The diagonal is the same but due to the different aspect ratio it has fewer square inches than the OG XL.

I'm ok with that. The main reason I got the hugephone was because I didn't want to admit I needed glasses so I needed a phone that I could still see at full arms-length.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What a bizarre re-reg. Hey guys watch out for ZTE!!!! I won't go back to ZTE because they abandoned the axon 7 more or less, but I still love the phone. I think the reliability concerns apply to all low end phones from all manufacturers

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just rumors right now.

Supposedly, they'll be either exactly at last year's price or $50-100 cheaper.

Huh, if Google does a good trade in on the P2 and has a lower base price I might jump on that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just want a good drat color since I'm pretty sure I'm going back to caseless for this one. There's rumors of Google doing a coral color.

Also, the P3 leak said that the phone pictured was a carrier variant, but not Verizon. So, maybe the exclusivity is ending (or maybe it's just Canadian or something.)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If they do the panda again, I'll totally rock one naked (or in a clear case, at least).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Lowtax2 posted:

Hi guys,

"I have information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, that Xiaomi Pocophone F1 that everyone was gushing about lacks Widevine L1 support, so there's no HD streaming for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or others.

This seems to be a common issue with Chinese devices.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Wow I really like the look of the new Messages app

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

One minor quibble I have about it is in Dark mode, they really need to extend the dark gray background into the nav area to remain consistent with the light mode. It's especially jarring on devices that have rounded screen corners.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone was asking about messages for web, and at first it worked for me but ever since just been a crapshoot. Could be something with the wifi at work, dont try it at home. Downloading the update now, hopefully it fixes it

FistEnergy posted:

Oooookay I'm assuming this is sarcasm as theres no change for me after the update, its still the most basic looking thing possible and I dont have dark mode.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 31, 2018

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FistEnergy posted:

Which one of the seventeen half baked messaging apps are you referring to sir

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

the standard text messages stock Android app called Messages has a new style. the font is a little "tighter" for lack of a better word and there are no separation lines between text threads in list view, etc etc. it's a nice visual upgrade.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

ShoogaSlim posted:

the standard text messages stock Android app called Messages has a new style. the font is a little "tighter" for lack of a better word and there are no separation lines between text threads in list view, etc etc. it's a nice visual upgrade.

The AOSP messaging app?

Man I haven't used that since the Galaxy Nexus days.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

The AOSP messaging app?

Man I haven't used that since the Galaxy Nexus days.

No. It's this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Ohhh - yeah I've been meaning to try this one.

I'm gonna check it out.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is it still slow as crap after going over 5-10K txt messages total?

Switched to Textra and can't believe I ever tried to live with that laggy garbage messaging app. :/ Makes no sense why Google can't optimize it in the same way but, Google...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's never been slow for me, but I have no idea where to see how many text messages total that I have. Other than "a lot".

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's never been slow for me, but I have no idea where to see how many text messages total that I have. Other than "a lot".

Do a SMS Backup, that shows the grand total usually.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Pixels have hit the FCC. No real new info aside from the full list of band support. T-Mobile's 600mhz band is there as expected.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/08/31/google-pixel-3-and-pixel-3-xl-hit-the-fcc/

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

bull3964 posted:

FYI, that Xiaomi Pocophone F1 that everyone was gushing about lacks Widevine L1 support, so there's no HD streaming for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or others.

This seems to be a common issue with Chinese devices.
None of Xiaomi's non-TV devices have Widevine L1, presumably because it's not used in China or India and they're too lazy for Europe.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The Pixels have hit the FCC. No real new info aside from the full list of band support. T-Mobile's 600mhz band is there as expected.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/08/31/google-pixel-3-and-pixel-3-xl-hit-the-fcc/

Was that missing from Pixel 2? Is it a band that is rolled out in many places or just nice to have for future proofing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The P2 did not have band 71. T-Mobile is using it to fill in a lot of rural areas.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/extended-range-lte-puerto-rico