Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

people who define practically their entire existence with videogames or things similar to it get ornery if they view something as 'tainting' it, or, existing as something they personally do not care about

speedruns are just a small slice of this

I think it's pronounced "horny".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Give force you to respect every single one of my WRs
http://www.twitch.tv/seckswrecks/v/45899078

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 31, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

submitted to gdq

probably not gonna get it but like

hey

i thought speedruns were cool and i finally did the thing and got a competitive time in a semi popular game and am putting myself out there to try to get into the event that inspired me to do it in the first place

so

that’s cool

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
BRB, firing up Unity to make a game that you can’t go fast in without doing something really obscure in game to spawn an invisible platform. What you do depends on your Steam ID, but it will be the same speed for everyone so it’s fair. Gonna submit it and get all the records.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Double Punctuation posted:

BRB, firing up Unity to make a game that you can’t go fast in without doing something really obscure in game to spawn an invisible platform. What you do depends on your Steam ID, but it will be the same speed for everyone so it’s fair. Gonna submit it and get all the records.

The Mario Maker strategy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kaubocks posted:

submitted to gdq

hey

i thought speedruns were cool and i finally did the thing and got a competitive time in a semi popular game and am putting myself out there to try to get into the event that inspired me to do it in the first place

so

that’s cool

Good luck!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kaubocks posted:

submitted to gdq

hey

so

that’s cool

you're awesome imo

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Kaub ur a good person I hope u get in pal

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

submitted to gdq

hey

so

that’s cool

Excellent... The goon invasion continues.

Good luck!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Is there a link to the specific moment or VOD where Finesparks became a thing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Golbez posted:

Is there a link to the specific moment or VOD where Finesparks became a thing

it wasn't really an on-stream thing; in the sgdq chat thread '[x] is fine' became a meme early and there was a part in the last couple of days where we were talking about metroid and posting lots of cool samus fanart and someone smushed the two together for a gangtag

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I've submitted two of my AGDQ games so far (Silhouette Mirage, Chocobo Racing), need to record the third (Magic Knight Rayearth). Actually did commentary this time instead of nothing or just a brief intro of myself and the game. I don't have much hope as usual since these aren't the most popular or known games, and I never stream, but you never know.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KariOhki posted:

I've submitted two of my AGDQ games so far (Silhouette Mirage, Chocobo Racing), need to record the third (Magic Knight Rayearth). Actually did commentary this time instead of nothing or just a brief intro of myself and the game. I don't have much hope as usual since these aren't the most popular or known games, and I never stream, but you never know.

I'd love to see some Saturn games in GDQ, although I have no idea what kind of speedgames Silhouette Mirage or Magic Knight Rayearth are.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TeaJay posted:

I'd love to see some Saturn games in GDQ, although I have no idea what kind of speedgames Silhouette Mirage or Magic Knight Rayearth are.

MKR has some neat OoB stuff.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Silhouette Mirage would be the PS1 version since that's the one I'm most comfortable with. It also means I can make fun of all the dumb changes Working Designs made to it. The run itself is grinding a bit of money on the first few screens to get a high level weapon from a hidden shop, and then steamrolling through most of the game.

And yeah, MKR used to be a pretty standard "play through fast" run until a few months ago when a TASer started finding a bunch of major skips, cutting an hour off of the WR time.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

KariOhki posted:

which ending do you get in silhouette mirage? also do you deliberately lose a life somewhere to cancel the reaper boss fight

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

it wasn't really an on-stream thing; in the sgdq chat thread '[x] is fine' became a meme early and there was a part in the last couple of days where we were talking about metroid and posting lots of cool samus fanart and someone smushed the two together for a gangtag

cage-free egghead posted:

I think it's pronounced "horny".

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
i applied for hosting this time around at GDQ because actually playing games is for loving losers

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i also picked host duties in the volunteer form but i don't think i got an email yet about auditions

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Venuz Patrol posted:

which ending do you get in silhouette mirage? also do you deliberately lose a life somewhere to cancel the reaper boss fight

You get the bad ending, specifically by defeating Zohar under 2 minutes in that timed battle, and then picking the right hand option at the choice later. And yes, you lose a life to cancel the reaper fight cutscene since the death animation is faster than skipping the text the reaper asks you. I tend to take the death as late as possible, so usually in one of the two boss fights before the cutscene would trigger.

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Hbomberguy made a speedruning video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5auJOBC828

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ty, I love hbomberguy

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Kaubocks posted:

i also picked host duties in the volunteer form but i don't think i got an email yet about auditions

If you haven't heard back yet and don't get an e-mail within the next day or two, send an e-mail to volunteer at gamesdonequick dot com and someone on the committee should get back to you with the audition information.

I just sent in my own hosting audition.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
New Super Metroid Any% WR! 41m 18s by Behemoth87 https://www.speedrun.com/supermetroid/run/me87v62m

Beat Zoast's old WR set 5 months ago by 1 second

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg4oTMu5Yc

Speedrun history videos are so good when they're made by a runner in the category.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

timp posted:

New Super Metroid Any% WR! 41m 18s by Behemoth87 https://www.speedrun.com/supermetroid/run/me87v62m

Beat Zoast's old WR set 5 months ago by 1 second
Jesus, that feels like there's literally no faster way to optimize that past like, 15 more seconds if that. He screwed up what, once, costing him a handful of seconds?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Getting sub 41 is probably possible, but it requires no mistakes, good drops, and fast/fast on phantoon. I don't know if there was any new tech discovered with the most recent TAS, either.

I wonder if zoast is going to get back to grinding.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phone posted:

Getting sub 41 is probably possible, but it requires no mistakes, good drops, and fast/fast on phantoon. I don't know if there was any new tech discovered with the most recent TAS, either.

I wonder if zoast is going to get back to grinding.
I think the most recent Super Metroid TAS involves clipping out past a room transition to travel through junk data to find something that'll let you trigger the ending. While you can't see what you're doing.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zereth posted:

I think the most recent Super Metroid TAS involves clipping out past a room transition to travel through junk data to find something that'll let you trigger the ending. While you can't see what you're doing.

How did they even find it blindly?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

McFrugal posted:

How did they even find it blindly?
It's a TAS, so they had access to emulator debug tools that let them watch the console's memory and see exactly what's going on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't that a trick that's existed for at least a year? They did it at gdq where they exploited a bug to get offscreen, hit a trigger point that caused zebes to blow up, and that was that

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, but Sniq who is well known for Super Metroid optimized it to get there faster relatively recently. Sped it up by nearly 8 seconds.
http://tasvideos.org/6063S.html

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 4, 2018

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
TGH got a WR while recording his Celeste All Chapters AGDQ 2019 submission. 1:23:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6c4Hdn89sc

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://twitter.com/TheSuperSNES/status/1038250514193047558

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm surprised it's intact

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I recently realized the first Wizardry is an NES game and that means TMR must have beaten it. Did he do it without a guide or any hints at all? If so that's fairly impressive. Did he draw maps? You kindof have to for some floors... I could watch his videos for it but I want to beat it myself (though, I'm going to play the super famicom version).

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

McFrugal posted:

I recently realized the first Wizardry is an NES game and that means TMR must have beaten it. Did he do it without a guide or any hints at all? If so that's fairly impressive. Did he draw maps? You kindof have to for some floors... I could watch his videos for it but I want to beat it myself (though, I'm going to play the super famicom version).

He took some hints for Wizardry, I think, and it still took him over ten hours. (TMR got rid of the "no guides/hints" rule around two years into the series, although he still kept it very limited.)

Wizardry was actually one of his faster RPG completions. Ultima 4 took him 30 hours, DW2-4 were around 40 hours each, and Might & Magic was 85 hours.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

ullerrm posted:

He took some hints for Wizardry, I think, and it still took him over ten hours. (TMR got rid of the "no guides/hints" rule around two years into the series, although he still kept it very limited.)

Wizardry was actually one of his faster RPG completions. Ultima 4 took him 30 hours, DW2-4 were around 40 hours each, and Might & Magic was 85 hours.

is there some website or something with this info?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

SoftNum posted:

is there some website or something with this info?

Big google doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KDNGI76HoMNyYLL6RqWu4PqUbw-lI920tf7QTclnLLE/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ullerrm posted:

Might and Magic for NES was such bullshit. Walk out of town, get attacked by locusts, get party wiped by them because they do 255 damage and go faster than you, plus every time one of your characters dies you lose your turn.