Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Good lord dude, you've been busy. I look at what I've accomplished in the past ~six months and it does not remotely compare. Well done.

With the addition, how big is your house now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Congradulations! Awesome update for a dozen reasons.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I've always loved your house but thought the living room area was a bit small. Now I love it even more!

Can I come live with you guys? Joking, but not quite... Everything looks amazing!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Congratulations, slung. Everything looks great!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Congrats, when you pick a thread title you really follow through.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

This is the longest harvest moon let's play ever

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Pharmaskittle posted:

This is the longest harvest moon let's play ever

Wait until he starts trying to 100% the achievements list.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Loved that update, and loved the ring work too. I've got a small meteorite ring, fits my pinkie. I think it was done entirely with cold work, it was brave to heat and punch that thing, were you not concerned about losing the grain pattern? It came out pretty good anyway.

Post the rhubarb chutney recipe?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Steakandchips posted:

The ring fits your finger, is the ring for you?

What's her ring like?

Ok, first we start with her (deceased) grandmother's ring.

A fine ring, for the time. The claws are kind of mis-shapen. See how the one on the left is wrong compared to the one on the right?

There was also a pretty serious crack there on the right.

All in all, not exactly a practical ring for an active woman of today with varied interests outside baking, sewing, and pining for your husband while he's off at war.

Nice stones though.

So, we recycled the gold, kept the diamonds, and the goldsmith and I designed this one. I'm not one for fine work and I don't know how to efficiently cast gold so I was happy to farm this out. I think the design came out pretty well. They do great work.

There's a series of beads, then small diamonds along one branch of each of the twisted pairs there, and some scrolls (like iron scrolls) around the stones on the side. It sits way flatter to her finger and the mounting method ensures it won't catch on much.

She says it's quite comfortable, and loves how it looks. :unsmith:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Good lord dude, you've been busy. I look at what I've accomplished in the past ~six months and it does not remotely compare. Well done.

With the addition, how big is your house now?

It was ~1700 sqft before, and we added a 16x20 portion on the side there, so now we're sitting at approximately 2020 sqft.

Leperflesh posted:

Loved that update, and loved the ring work too. I've got a small meteorite ring, fits my pinkie. I think it was done entirely with cold work, it was brave to heat and punch that thing, were you not concerned about losing the grain pattern? It came out pretty good anyway.

The grain structure was lost pretty well the second it heated up in the forge, I knew that was going to happen. For me it was more about the provenance of the material. It was an almost all iron meteorite though, that's why I chose it, easier to forge, less silica to worry about.

I'll try to get you the recipe, I didn't copy it from her when she was making it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No worries, I can google rhubarb chutney recipes so don't make an effort.

Interesting that custom ring thing. The design is really nice.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I've been thinking about buying some land recently and something about looking at lots dislodged memories of reading this thread from 8 years ago in my brain

It's awesome that you are still going

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

My wife's friend posted:

8 to 10 cups chopped rhubarb
3 cups dark raisins, well rinsed
3 cups malt vinegar
8 to 10 cups chopped onions
7 to 8 cups brown sugar (I use the Demerara sugar, the dark brown stuff)
Mix together and simmer until the rhubarb is soft.

I like to mix the spices separately and then sprinkle in:
1 Tablespoon of each of the following
- ground allspice
- fresh chopped ginger
- Minced garlic

1 teaspoon of each of the following:
- ground cloves
- mustard seed ( if you have some, I wouldn't go out and buy any)
- cayenne pepper

And lastly 4 Tablespoons of salt.

Makes about 12 - 8 ounce jars and keeps forever.

So, being canning season and all, I thought I would up my game a little.

A couple weeks ago my brother in law was kind enough to pick the apples off the really nice mature tree that lives in his and my sister's backyard.

I need more jelly bags or strainers...

It took a while to get my legs under myself again, but it cooks into pretty decent jelly.

Mmm yeah. Not perfectly clear but whatever, it tastes good.

Then I helped him slide hammer out a seized slide pin from his brake caliper the next day. Poor guy can't catch a break.

High on my own success, I decided to branch into pressure canning.

Let's play with high pressure! :science:

Browning some venison that I shot last year to make chili with. I've got another tag for this fall but I still have a fair amount in the freezer from last november, I don't want to waste it, but I need the space, so I'm going to try canning cooked chili, should make some decent and easy to store lunches. I usually slow cook it for 12 hours, but I tried to skip that part by using the instant pot for an hour or so.

These are some caramelized onions that I made in the slow cooker a couple days ago. Combined with some red wine and some hot beef broth, it makes pretty decent french onion soup.

In they goes. I sure hope this is the right way to do it. I tried stacking the jars on top of the lower ones, but they kept slipping. Fortunately I have another little stainless rack to use as a shelf.

:ohdear: 90 minutes at 15psi.

No one died, and the jars kept bubbling for about 3 hours afterwards :stare: Three litres each, venison Chili and french onion soup. I had a little leaking, I didn't give them all quite enough head space. Not catastrophic, I think.

Plus the wife's relatives from Austrailia (they came up for the wedding and have been here since August, they don't fly back until tomorrow) wanted to have a traditional thanksgiving style meal before they went back south. I guess turkeys aren't really a thing down under. This is the one I won during the christmas curling party last year :coal: Cooked this for them last week.

We made some cranberry sauce. And I canned it, because I wanted to. Also so we would have some for thanksgiving (we're hosting this year).

I also made them some pumpkin pies with homemade pastries

Curling season started up, I'm in two leagues this year, so far so good.

The acura threw a code on me and stalled at 100kph. Current theory is a clogged vtec solenoid screen.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Need to change thread title to "Living the life in the Country".

Been following your adventures since the tractor. You're doing it the right way, man. Congrats on everything.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Late to the party but: congrats on the marriage and I am so happy this keeps going. It allows for me to go back to living in the country side, where I grew up.
Visited my parents today and it was odd, being back in town. So I came home and read your adventures and all is well now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks for the recipe! That looks highly do-able, I have most of that stuff on hand, except the rhubarb and I'm out of malt vinegar.

When my neighbor brings me dozens of apples, we make apple butter, give that a try maybe.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Keetron: thanks, I'm glad I can bring a taste of home to you :unsmith:

Leperflesh: You're welcome, it is indeed easy, and it tastes great with roasted chicken type dishes. You should be able to find rhubarb at farmer's markets, or garden farm places, it'll be frozen this time of year but that's fine it just means it a little softer for the simmering. Malt vinegar is available everywhere.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

When my neighbor brings me dozens of apples, we make apple butter, give that a try maybe.

My go-to is applesauce. You can eat it straight, or it can be further reduced to apple butter if you just cook it for a long time. And it can be canned. Half a crate creates like four quarts of applesauce, it's crazy how many apples you can use up that way.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm a big fan of canning apple pie filling, too.

~4 quart jars takes a dozen or so apples depending on the size. I've used Ball's recipe before, although I add clove and allspice because I like 'em, and the sugar gets moved a little up or down depending on the apples. Important note, they aren't joking about ClearJel, cornstarch isn't safe for canning. If you can't find non-instant ClearJel (the instant stuff is the bee's knees for making room-temp set fillings, but can break down with sustained heat), can it without the thickener and thicken with flour or cornstarch when you go to bake the pie.

You can also skip the blanching and cold-pack your apples if you don't mind them having a bit more tooth to them in the pie.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Leperflesh: You're welcome, it is indeed easy, and it tastes great with roasted chicken type dishes. You should be able to find rhubarb at farmer's markets, or garden farm places, it'll be frozen this time of year but that's fine it just means it a little softer for the simmering. Malt vinegar is available everywhere.

lol no I get fresh dang rhubarb from my produce market nearly year round, california is great and my produce market is extra great.

They sell malt vinegar at safeway but it's in like a tabletop bottle type thing, maybe 8-12oz or so. I need to find a larger container of it if I'm gonna follow recipes calling for 3 cups at a time kinda thing. It's a much less common ingredient in the US than it is in the UK and Canada.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My go-to is applesauce. You can eat it straight, or it can be further reduced to apple butter if you just cook it for a long time. And it can be canned. Half a crate creates like four quarts of applesauce, it's crazy how many apples you can use up that way.

Yeah we've made it into applesauce too, but once it's cooked down that far, going a bit farther to get apple butter is trivial. We are canning the apple butter too, so it lasts for years.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Can’t wait for you to visit Australia. Ive got cousins who have married Canadians and it’s always hilarious when they come over for Christmas.

Watching someone fly from Vancouver to Darwin is when it’s 4 degrees in Vancouver and Darwin is 38 with 90% humidity is apparently absolutely hilarious

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ferremit posted:

Can’t wait for you to visit Australia. Ive got cousins who have married Canadians and it’s always hilarious when they come over for Christmas.

Watching someone fly from Vancouver to Darwin is when it’s 4 degrees in Vancouver and Darwin is 38 with 90% humidity is apparently absolutely hilarious

The opposite is just as much fun. The 70 degree C difference between an Australian summer and a Canadian winter - Vancouver doesn't get there, but the prairies absolutely do - is shocking in either direction.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Speaking of preserving has anyone tried pickling eggs? I’ve tried find YouTube videos but no-one does myfordboy style how-tos and I lose the will to live listening to the bullshit before they actually get the point.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

When did this Lp RL turn into GWS?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Speaking of preserving has anyone tried pickling eggs? I’ve tried find YouTube videos but no-one does myfordboy style how-tos and I lose the will to live listening to the bullshit before they actually get the point.

Funny enough, I just watched an episode of It's Alive on pickled fermented eggs. Definitely has a humor and editing style to it, dunno if that falls into your category of bullshit. I personally love that series on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbFHvwAjKyI

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rapulum_Dei posted:

My father-in-law pickles his chickens' eggs. He does refrigerator pickles, meaning, they're not long-term preserved, you have maybe three or four weeks to eat them.

Youtube videos are for cooking-show style wankery, as you've discovered. What you want is something called a "recipe." Avoid blog-style recipes with a ton of verbiage first and just go to the major recipe sites like allrecipes or food network or similar.

This one looks fine to me:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/pickled-eggs-3364346

Basically the key thing is to get the right amount of salt to water ratio for a brine, and whether or not to use vinegar and if so, how much. The remainder of the recipe is the flavorings - garlic, onion, spices, peppers, etc. - and those are all subject to experimentation and whim. If you use a pre-mixed pickling spice mix, get one without cloves or your eggs will turn brown.

The fundamentals of a "dill pickle" recipe, which you can use on any vegetable or eggs etc., are a vinegar brine, garlic, dill, onion, and something to add zest or spice, such as peppers, mustard seed, or black pepper.

Hard boil your eggs, peel them, then toss them in a jar with the brine (and vinegar if used) and spices and stick them in the fridge for a couple or five days to soak up the flavor and then eat them.

e. Ok my vinegar dill pickle brine is 6 cups water, 2 cups vinegar (1c white and 1c apple cider works well), 1/3 cup salt. This brine works well for both hot-jarred-sealed type pickles and for "sun pickles" and refrigerator pickles of the eat-them-fairly-soon variety. This gives you 8 cups of brine, which will fill 2 empty quart jars, but a lot more jars if you pack them tight with stuff to pickle. About a gallon of pickles if you are at all reasonable with packing tightly, but easily more if you're a pro at squeezing maximum stuff into a pickling jar.

Note that if you measure salt by volume like this, you must adjust for granularity. Pickling salt is fine grained while rock salt is very course grained, so 1/3 cup of pickling salt is a lot more salt than 1/3 cup of rock salt. I use a 1/2 cup measure of kosher salt, usually. Also be aware that some salt is packed with yellow prussiate of soda, which will make for a slightly yellow brine, but it's otherwise harmless.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 22, 2018

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Good information
Yeah the life story blogs are dreadful. I'd like a long term option for times like now when the hens are laying more than I'm eating.

I mean is it basically as case of hard boiled eggs in <pickling juice>, job done. Keeps forever. And anything extra is just preference?

That link above was entertaining enough but i found myself wondering what the point was- once you mix them with mustard mayo you're going to kill any subtle flavours there were.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah you can stop before you're mashing them into egg salad and just eat them delicously as they are, for sure.

As far as I know, you can't make long-term room temperature-stored pickled eggs safely. I feel like probably a bunch of cultures have done it anyway for centuries, but you risk botulism so I'm not gonna recommend it.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_eggs.html

Here is a way to pickle and properly can eggs for long-term storage and consumption, which I will not specifically recommend:
http://kuntzfamily.com/recipes/pickled_eggs.shtml

If you do do this thing I didn't recommend, don't feed them to small children or pregnant women or the elderly, who are less likely to survive a bout of botulism. Keep them all to yourself.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 23, 2018

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
This whole discussion is making that giant jar of pickled eggs they have behind the bar even more mysterious.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rapulum_Dei posted:

This whole discussion is making that giant jar of pickled eggs they have behind the bar even more mysterious.

Yes here in the South they keep the "pink" pickled eggs and bologna out room temperature for only God knows how many months or years and I have never heard of anything coming of it

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Leperflesh posted:

As far as I know, you can't make long-term room temperature-stored pickled eggs safely. I feel like probably a bunch of cultures have done it anyway for centuries, but you risk botulism so I'm not gonna recommend it.

If you pickle the eggs normally they will last forever. just use normal canning procedures. Once the eggs are hard boiled and in a jar pour boiling pickling brine over them, lid the jar and pasteurize for the correct time. Use smaller jars so you open as you eat and bam. eggs forever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's one of those things that carries a small but nonzero risk. Probably still a very small risk, but enough that the CDC cautions against doing it at home. A manufacturer has the capability to test batches and determine positively that their product is safe, whereas the home pickler doesn't. The key thing is to make sure the yolk is preserved, but the act of piercing the yolk before pouring in your brine (which some recipes recommend and some don't) could actually introduce bacteria into the yolk? Or something like that.

Anyway I would happily do it myself but I don't feel comfortable actually telling people explicitly to do something like this, particularly anyone who hasn't done much canning before. :shrug:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 29, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Leperflesh posted:

It's one of those things that carries a small but nonzero risk. Probably still a very small risk, but enough that the CDC cautions against doing it at home. A manufacturer has the capability to test batches and determine positively that their product is safe, whereas the home pickler doesn't. The key thing is to make sure the yolk is preserved, but the act of piercing the yolk before pouring in your brine (which some recipes recommend and some don't) could actually introduce bacteria into the yolk? Or something like that.

Anyway I would happily do it myself but I don't feel comfortable actually telling people explicitly to do something like this, particularly anyone who hasn't done much canning before. :shrug:

There has been exaclty 1 case of botulism from home pickled eggs in the past ever. 1 idiot in 1997 that just dumped boiled eggs in a jar full of vinegar and put it in the sun. He should have died.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It has been way too long since I last posted, but the wife is volunteering and it's minus a billion degrees outside, so I have a few minutes to write some stuff and post a couple pictures.

Right, so:

Slung Blade posted:

The acura threw a code on me and stalled at 100kph. Current theory is a clogged vtec solenoid screen.

Code was intermittent, but it ran poorly so Seat and I did a vtec gasket job. It was totally done.

I broke the oil pressure sender with my ham hands while we were doing that, so we replaced that too. :geno:

I waited too long to get a pumpkin for Halloween again, so, welp.

Also picked up a comedy flag for the shop to poke fun at people.

After cooking three turkeys this year, we had a lot of soup to make, more than would fit in the freezer. So one night when the wife was away I set up an assembly line.

Turns out I really like pressure canning. That extra element of danger really does it for me.

I did, I think, (in total, not shown here) another 6 batches of deer chili as well. I had to make room in the freezer.

Why the need for freezer space? Buddy and I were awarded a lot of tags in 2018, so we needed volume. Got super lucky and we got two on the bow in october/early november. We ground the first two up into sausage, ground, and patties.

Before our hunting trip up north I wanted to make something. It took me a while to figure out this welding thing again, but after a couple of gross beads these ones turned out ok.

Mostly, anyway.

This goes into the hitch receiver on the truck, and the main pole slides up and down in that.

Cross bar forms a place where we can hang a carcass for skinning / gutting - anywhere we can get the truck into.

Fits snugly in the truck.

Not enough overhang to need a flag or anything either, which is good.

The weather for hunting was a little warm and mostly snow free, but it was nice. We went earlier in november this year due to various constraints.

I do love the trip, it's so nice up there.

We got two more up there, we did all the cutting ourselves back at my place. I decided to keep a couple shanks to make dinner with.

Turned out ok! A little tougher than I wanted, but still tasty.

Then christmas season came about, you guys know what that means.

It's so nice baking in this kitchen.

I got wicked bad food poisoning at some christmas party around this time, spent all night evacuating every fluid in my body, took me two whole days of doing nothing to recover, which sucked because I already booked them as days off :(

Then we flew to vancouver island for 10 days with the inlaws. That was fun, did some snowshoeing up on Mount Washington and saw the only sun of the entire trip.

Came home for new year's eve with my family. Saw a snowy, we've seen a couple of these around home this year.

I've been dealing with some right arm damage since mid October after a fall during curling practice, and after getting an ultrasound it turns out I tore the ligament that holds the long head of the biceps tendon in its' channel in the bone:

I also tore 1 and a half of my rotator cuff tendons and got bursitis from an inflamed sac in my muscle, all from falling on the ice. I'm trying to get surgery to get it fixed, but it's been hell because I can't swing a hammer the way I want to, so I wasn't able to do any smithing since those decorations I made in August. A cortisone shot helped the inflammation, but they can't do anything for my shoulder unless I break 3 of the 5 tendons. I'll live, it's just tough not being able to do what you want.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Still 100% man even with the busted wing. Thanks for sharing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I hate you and your kitchen.
Also: I thought we were going to get married. My wife disagrees but she hasn't seen your cooking.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I prefer this version of the “FYGM p.s. racism rules” flag:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Jealous Cow posted:

I prefer this version of the “FYGM p.s. racism rules” flag:

That one is also hilarious, but I didn't really want to explain bdsm to my farmer neighbours when they come over for beers. They already probably think I'm weird as gently caress.

The "gubbermint git out REEEEEEE" version makes me laugh like no other but it's just a pencil sketch and even harder to explain.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Slung Blade posted:

That one is also hilarious, but I didn't really want to explain bdsm to my farmer neighbours when they come over for beers. They already probably think I'm weird as gently caress.

The "gubbermint git out REEEEEEE" version makes me laugh like no other but it's just a pencil sketch and even harder to explain.

I’m starting to think about buying some land and building an off grid home over the next few years. Unfortunately, most of the YouTubers and bloggers associated with that topic are insane libertarian anti-vaxx preppers and very hard to take seriously.

My wife doesn’t care about the off the grid part and just wants a few cows and goats.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
information is still information, it sucks to have to watch lovely folks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

sneakyfrog posted:

information is still information, it sucks to have to watch lovely folks though.

Make sure to use an ad-blocker. At least that way you’re not giving them revenue.

Hope your shoulder comes right Slung