Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Five Games for Doomsday
Yeah this is good. Everyone should listen to the Founders of Gloomhaven episode just for the AP player spiel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was at the board game store today and something caught my eye. A shelf with a bunch of small games all called "Tiny Epic X". They looked fairly neat, and I picked up one called Tiny Epic Western for $25. I have got to say, for the price and size this game is very good. It's a worker placement game, in the same vein as Lords of Waterdeep but much more streamlined and with a few mechanics that make it a lot more interesting. It is much more confrontational than a typical worker placement, as you are able to do dice combat to fight over spaces. This makes it a bit random, but that is fine as it is a shorter game. The poker aspect is really cool, and fairly unique. The cards are never quite good/bad they just nudge you toward certain actions. Buying buildings is reminiscent of Lords of Waterdeep. I like that victory points are combined with the buildings, this really cuts down on the game clutter (both mechanically, and in terms of components).

The components are where this game really shines. It is a full weight euro game, yet it easily fits into a backpack or computer bag. The footprint of this game is about the size of two Magic the Gathering decks! That means its quite easy to take it anywhere. This is nice because it has solo rules :D The components themselves are also quite high quality. The cards all have backs like real poker cards, and the arts is fantastic. My favorite part is the box. They left no component unused. The inside of the box contains an FAQ, and the lid functions as a dice trey. The dice trey lid has a picture of two gunslingers and the words "Dice Corral" across. The dice for the duels are shaped like little bullets by the way, so you both throw your little bullets into the corral and it makes for a very satisfying "duel" :v:

I rate Tiny Epic Western 9.7/10 and I will be getting some more of these tiny epic games!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 31, 2018

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Baller Ina posted:

So Dinosaur Island Xtreme very much does not fit in the box, I'll probably store the player mats and such separate

Metal coins are pretty boss, though

Trim down or throw out the insert and it fits just fine if you don't try to store extras like the cardboard money, pogs, or blank tiles.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Ah, so the little character discs have no game function

yeah, that'll help, and I suppose I don't need the lame-o money in there

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Rutibex posted:

I was at the board game store today and something caught my eye. A shelf with a bunch of small games all called "Tiny Epic X". They looked fairly neat.

Tiny Epic Quest is a lot of fun. I’ve heard solid positive buzz about all the other ones too.

Rodney over at Watch It Played has videos for the whole bunch of them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Galaxies is the only good Tiny Epic game. The rest are mediocre to bad.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

If Talisman is your yardstick, 'modern' boardgames must be a cave of wonders.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Barenpark is perfect for you here. It's light, it's structurally impossible to actually get slaughter assuming reasonable play. Like 108-90 is, contextually, getting absolutely destroyed but doesn't feel bad.

It's also basically the opposite of cut throat, particularly if you curate the object tiles of play with 3 players.

Checked this one out, and while I haven't gotten my group together to try it yet, playing around solo with some custom rules I saw on BGG, as well as just messing around with it, it seems like something that would indeed go over well. Thanks for this. And likewise thank you to everyone else who recommended stuff as well; I've been looking into those when I can and stuff.

(Tangent, the solo version were interesting and fun, but since you're not competing with anyone else it's much, much more predictable than it'd be with other people taking pieces without regard for you, or worse taking things they think you need as well because they don't want you to get it first. Also the person who made them did their math wrong or is just bad at the game, because they weren't sure it was even possible to break 80 points, their recommended goal, without achievements, but I was doing that from the first attempt. They also screwed up their math for the maximum possible score with achievements, because I broke it.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 31, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Nah, Kingdoms is OK (and better when expanded), Quest and Western are both decent as well. It's only Defenders that is bad, and I heard that a lot of the issues were fixed in 2E/The Dark War - not that I plan to find out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I gave Quartermaster General The Cold War a try and it was interesting. It unites some of the quality of life changes that were present within the 1914 and the Air expansion of the original, and adds to them an escalation track (which means that you can't bring out your big guns immediately) as well as adding three sides (US/NATO, Soviet/WP, India/China/Non-Aligned). When you play 3P, your side has a distinct deck. When you play 6P, you divide the decks into two (the front of the cards are colour coded), which is kind of interesting.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Nah, Kingdoms is OK (and better when expanded), Quest and Western are both decent as well. It's only Defenders that is bad, and I heard that a lot of the issues were fixed in 2E/The Dark War - not that I plan to find out.

That was the impression that I got reading up on them as well. I ordered Tiny Epic Galaxies, as that seemed like the best one and I liked the theme. I'm going to pass on Quest/Defenders/Kingdom, the theme is too "generic fantasy" for me to get excited. Tiny Epic Mechs and Tiny Epic Zombies looks really cool and I might check them out when they are released though.

I'm not getting any expansions, as that ruins the best part of the series: the portability. An expansion doubles the size and price of the game, so it doesn't fit into a book bag as easily. Not worth it!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played some more Decrypto last night and man, I really like that game but I am very bad at it.

Also played Deception three times, was the murderer twice, and man, hearing someone else get repeatedly accused of a crime that I committed is just so great. Have any of you guys played the expansion, and does it add anything to the game (on the unlikely chance I spot it somewhere)?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

Defenders 2E is actually quite good. Up with Galaxies for best of the series for sure.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I made a video diving into Biblios and Arboretum, two of the best small box games out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCRBlRSD84Y

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

I made a video diving into Biblios and Arboretum, two of the best small box games out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCRBlRSD84Y

Couldn't you play both of these games with a normal deck of cards?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The same way you could play anything with a pile of cereal boxes, I suppose. It's not really the same experience though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rutibex posted:

Find me a set with 8 suits and has anime pics and I’ll cancel my arboretum deluxe preorder right now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chill la Chill posted:

Find me a set with 8 suits and has anime pics and I’ll cancel my arboretum deluxe preorder right now.

This one has 12 suits:
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/rainbow-deck

You could also just get two sets of different cards and shuffle them together.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
fear and phase 10 in las vegas rear end deck of cards

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Rutibex posted:

You would Need 10 different suits for the tree game. I do recommend Buying a Cheap game with many numbers and suits and using it to bootleg similar games. I have sticheln but something else Might be cheaper where you live (Maybe the game called Rage).

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 31, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
corel clip art 1994 dot BMF rear end deck of cards

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rutibex posted:

In addition to what people have mentioned, you'd also have to be one hell of a cheap guy because the game is less than $20 canadian and looks gorgeous regardless.

Rutibex posted:

This one has 12 suits:
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/rainbow-deck

You could also just get two sets of different cards and shuffle them together.

That deck costs more than Arboretum does.

And you'd need decks with the same backs, but different fronts. It's so much effort for so little payoff.

Edit: Like, I realize your thing is recreating games out of cereal boxes and garbage but it's just not worth it for Arboretum.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 31, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You don’t need to buy cards you just need penny sleeves, paper, common magic cards and markers come on guys.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

You don’t need to buy cards you just need penny sleeves, paper, common magic cards and markers come on guys.

That's how I make mockups of playtest ideas. Except I use colored opaque backs for ideas that need multiple decks.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
People who have finally gotten shipping info for their copies of Root, where did you order from? My CSI order is still just showing as preorder. I'm tired of looking at the expansion wistfully.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jordan7hm posted:

I saw someone who did this for modern art (different colors as the artists) and I was mostly offended that not only were they not full art cards, they didn’t use actual good art like stasis

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

discount cathouse posted:

You would Need 10 different suits for the tree game. I do recommend Buying a Cheap game with many numbers and suits and using it to bootleg similar games. I have sticheln but something else Might be cheaper where you live (Maybe the game called Rage).

A friend of mine from my old board game club bought a ton of Rage decks from thrift stores. We played Great Dalmuti with one because we didn't have an actual copy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My wife's two favorite game genres are TTR and Dry rear end Math Puzzles.

So now i'm doing a PnP of 1889, god help us.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lol @ playing rummikub with tiles just smash two 56 card decks together

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That dumbassed rainbow deck costs more than the game you're proposing to proxy with it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Huxley posted:

My wife's two favorite game genres are TTR and Dry rear end Math Puzzles.

So now i'm doing a PnP of 1889, god help us.

Same, but with Thomas the tank engine theme. Though I might do it for 1860 instead

CommonShore posted:

That dumbassed rainbow deck costs more than the game you're proposing to proxy with it.

Well you could also use it for other games but it failed my criteria by not having anime.

Personally I’m using arboretum to play cockroach poker

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Morpheus posted:

Also played Deception three times, was the murderer twice, and man, hearing someone else get repeatedly accused of a crime that I committed is just so great. Have any of you guys played the expansion, and does it add anything to the game (on the unlikely chance I spot it somewhere)?

I felt that the base game didn't have enough going on to be interesting to play over Avalon. I feel that adding the extra roles from the expansion makes Deception an excellent alternative.

I personally would rather play Avalon with all the bells and whistles over any form of Deception, but that does not stop Deception from being very good, especially with the expansion.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jordan7hm posted:

:hmmyes:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

penny sleeves are too expensive when you can just get leaves from the ground and use your blood to write things down

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tekopo posted:

penny sleeves are too expensive when you can just get leaves from the ground and use your blood to write things down

This, but I use poop I find on the ground too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

Don't be an idiot, that's not sustainable. The best game components are made out of clay you dig out of the ground, then baked in the hot sun for free. You can write on it with a stick or a duck feather. They should last you a couple thousand years if done right!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Don't be an idiot, that's not sustainable. The best game components are made out of clay you dig out of the ground, then baked in the hot sun for free. You can write on it with a stick or a duck feather. They should last you a couple thousand years if done right!

MTG player squints hard at his hand-made, sun-baked $0.01draft common.

MTG player double sleeves it anyway.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Of course now I'm reminded of this, which I'm sure everyone here has already seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZskjLq040I

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gonna fire up a live-ish game (as in let's try to finish tonight) of FCM or a learning game of TGZ on BGC. So far we have two of us. Hop on discord if oyu're interested. I want to get it going by the top of the hour.

started

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I was reading the Kobold's Guide to Board Game Design: The DLC and Mike Selinker mentioned his Apocrypha Adventure Card Game in one of the essays. Does anyone have any experience with it? It sounds pretty cool from what I read.