Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Almost Blue posted:

Yikes, that looks like early blu-rays where they added a ton of DNR.

Do Not Resuscitate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Maybe as blu-ray declines we're going back to crappy early blu-ray quality, just like DVDs went barebones again in their later days

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Hat Thoughts posted:

wtf is up w/ the saturation & sharpness on this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV03zjNVRdc

Looks like a first time D.O.P. plus a really lovely colorist/post house. Post by Sugar Studios in LA, website down because bandwidth exceeded. A good sign.

Does John Cho owe gangsters money or something? This, Searching, and Caller ID: Entity make for a pretty lovely trilogy of garbage.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Searching received a lot of positive reviews.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_Ala5BKBo

:discourse:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm ready.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The re-shoots and the effects have improved this movie significantly. I'd classify it as 'stupid fun' now.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Predator was always stupid fun since 1987 in a good way.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I'm in for that. Looks fun as hell.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alright yea this works for me :)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

best trailer yet im sold

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You guys are gonna love the next movie Alien Dogs V Predator Dogs

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kiimo posted:

The re-shoots and the effects have improved this movie significantly. I'd classify it as 'stupid fun' now.

Yeah this looks wildly different from the original trailer and I really loving hope I don't see any precocious little kids in this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

The Air Bud series takes a dark turn.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Slutitution posted:

Predator was always stupid fun since 1987 in a good way.

I consider the original to be one of the tightest, most suspenseful, and well directed action films ever made. Stupid is usually the last word on my mind after I watch it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Okay, now it looks like a Shane Black film.
God drat am I on board.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ammanas posted:

Yeah this looks wildly different from the original trailer and I really loving hope I don't see any precocious little kids in this

He’s a big part of the movie so...

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I consider the original to be one of the tightest, most suspenseful, and well directed action films ever made. Stupid is usually the last word on my mind after I watch it.

Oh I agree, I was mostly referring to the locker room banter in the new trailer as well as in the original film.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Predator 1 is a work of art and a bonafide action movie CLASSIC. Legendary. Not some dumb schlock.

This looks really fun though - won't touch the first obviously but I am there opening weekend. Much better than that 1st trailer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The rest of the series is really schlocky, so it's fine to take it in this direction.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I’m not sure about the CGI predators :chloe:

Like I get that if you’re gonna make one that is hilariously large then CGI is the way to go, but I’m always gonna feel more threatened by a humanoid creature that is physically in the scene.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:same:

I am not encouraged.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Predator 1987 is a very clever movie, but it does have a lot of "stupid fun" (son-of-a-bitch handshake/armwrestle, shooting up the "rebel" camp, Shane Blacks jokes, everybody bravura, etc)

I only watched half the trailer as that is my limit (they always go too far into the plot after the halfway point & start spoiling 2nd & 3rd acts), but the setup looks way better than I expected. I'm going to watch it based on that first half of the trailer.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I'm sure it'll be every bit as good as Jurassic World.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ozmunkeh posted:

I'm sure it'll be every bit as good as Jurassic World.

haha oh no :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Jason Reitman film about Hugh Jackman as an 80's presidential candidate swept up in the rise of tabloid journalism or w/e.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAOYDcnVx6E

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 1, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wow, excellent cast. Definitely going to the top of my to-watch list.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Teenage Fansub posted:

New Jason Reitman film about Hugh Jackman as an 80's presidential candidate swept up in the rise of tabloid journalism or w/e.

It's the story of Gary Hart and it makes me feel old that his name isn't instantly recognizable. They made fun of him in MAD magazine all the time.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Dillbag posted:

It's the story of Gary Hart and it makes me feel old that his name isn't instantly recognizable. They made fun of him in MAD magazine all the time.

I'm old enough to remember Hart but it took me a minute to place the film - once the innuendo about affairs popped up I had my aha moment.

Some professors of mine spoke like Hart like he was the final shining light of American liberalism and him being a philanderer was the real end of the American Political Dream.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ammanas posted:

I'm old enough to remember Hart but it took me a minute to place the film - once the innuendo about affairs popped up I had my aha moment.

Some professors of mine spoke like Hart like he was the final shining light of American liberalism and him being a philanderer was the real end of the American Political Dream.

i can understand that line of thinking. him loving up meant GHWB, and four years later the Democratic party moved a bit to the right in picking Clinton, who then moved further to the right over the course of his presidency. Hart was more like a younger, more appealing version of the sort of liberalism that guys like Mondale and McGovern and Dukakis represented

think like, an RFK for the 80s, but instead of dying tragically, he hosed a lady on a boat

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

I didn't know about this so I googled him and saw a Vanity Fair article so I started reading it and it felt a bit... off given the world we live in. I go back to the top and realize it was written in 1987 and loving :lol:

quote:

Hart’s political demise remains an object of intense conversation because the central question remains unanswered: How could a man so dangerously flawed come so close to persuading us that he was fit to lead a superpower through the perils of the nuclear age? I have been dismayed that many people fail to grasp what is really at issue here. The key to the downfall of Gary Hart is not adultery. It is character. And that is an issue that will not go away.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I didn't know about this so I googled him and saw a Vanity Fair article so I started reading it and it felt a bit... off given the world we live in. I go back to the top and realize it was written in 1987 and loving :lol:

Yeah we dove head first into an empty pool, at some point someone's gonna look back and ask, who stole all the water?

America is super duper incapable of genuine self examination. But loves naval gazing. A land of contrasts

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Teenage Fansub posted:

Huge Actman.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Quite a difference from Huge Jacked Man

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ehud posted:

I’m not sure about the CGI predators :chloe:

Like I get that if you’re gonna make one that is hilariously large then CGI is the way to go, but I’m always gonna feel more threatened by a humanoid creature that is physically in the scene.

Same. The CG Predators and blood do a lot to make the trailer less... impactful, I feel.

Watching the first Predator, I was on the edge of my seat, too terrified to laugh. Though I was like 10 or 11.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dillbag posted:

It's the story of Gary Hart and it makes me feel old that his name isn't instantly recognizable. They made fun of him in MAD magazine all the time

I know who he is because he was the special envoy to Northern Ireland a few years ago. He wasn't able to get anything going because our politicians are probably worse than most American politicians.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Right after I saw the trailer, I leafed through a bunch of my late 1984 Mad Magazines and im surprised he isnt in there (afaict). Story is ripe for satire but i suppose they were holding off for a verdict to avoid a potential libel lawsuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Krankenstyle posted:

Right after I saw the trailer, I leafed through a bunch of my late 1984 Mad Magazines and im surprised he isnt in there (afaict). Story is ripe for satire but i suppose they were holding off for a verdict to avoid a potential libel lawsuit?

The story broke in 1987, so 1984 magazines wouldn't cover it