Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

sharkytm posted:

Same here. I'll pay a little more to not have to deal with their idiotic policies, useless customer service, constant problems (failure to ship, lost shipments, lost pickups, etc), and general fuckery, especially with their website.

Agreed, although I’m drat excited about getting $130 in tools I actually wanted for $60. And the last time I was this happy about it I got a full 1/2” set of sae short and deep sockets with a ratchet for $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

StormDrain posted:

Agreed, although I’m drat excited about getting $130 in tools I actually wanted for $60. And the last time I was this happy about it I got a full 1/2” set of sae short and deep sockets with a ratchet for $40.

No harm in that. Hell if there was something I needed I would slog through the website, cobble together a deal such as years (yeah, let's add the carpenter's pencil for 99 cents to get over the threshold) and work it. It's actually a great game.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Anyone have an idea why Ryobi US doesn't sell their 3/8" electric ratchet, its offered in Australia. I saw it on The Skid Factory or something, and since my job and personal stuff is all Ryobi, it sounds neat (I know electric ratchet limitations).

I can get it for like $120 from an eBay seller, but really I just want to know why?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No idea, UK and europe don't seem to get it either.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's a whole bunch of stuff we don't get, I want the pistol grip inflator, I could even eBay it cheaper than the one we get here.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I don’t like the look of that ryobi compared to the Milwaukee. Big battery pack on the end seems bad for balance and access to tight spaces.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

FYI my local Costco has those LED shop lights instant discounted down to $20 right now, dunno if it's nationwide. Picked up another one even though I don't really need it :hehe:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice, those things are great. i even took all 6 of mine with me when i sold my house last month.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

nice, those things are great. i even took all 6 of mine with me when i sold my house last month.

I left one in my ex's garage two years ago and I still think about it sometimes :rip:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

FYI my local Costco has those LED shop lights instant discounted down to $20 right now, dunno if it's nationwide. Picked up another one even though I don't really need it :hehe:

Hrmm they were the same price and max 5 so obvs I bought 5 but that only super lit half the garage, maybe I should grab a few more...

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Hrmm they were the same price and max 5 so obvs I bought 5 but that only super lit half the garage, maybe I should grab a few more...

Sounds like you should plan on getting a killer $1.50 hotdog/soda lunch combo tomorrow friend.

They also had Warsteiner Oktoberfest case of 24/$21 soooooo

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

StormDrain posted:

I have 14 of them in my 16x23 shop :v:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
36 in our 30x48. It's amazing and blinding at night.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Sounds like you should plan on getting a killer $1.50 hotdog/soda lunch combo tomorrow friend.

They also had Warsteiner Oktoberfest case of 24/$21 soooooo

:rip: polish dog though :(

Last time I went, they had the motion activated slim ones on sale / cheaper, but the normal chain-pull shop ones for full price ($27 I think?). The shop ones were on sale maybe a month ago, so I bought six. Haven't got around to hanging them yet, but soon!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Are the Harbor Freight tool chests any good, or is there a better cheap one? My accretion of tools is starting to get really hard to sort through

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Door Frame posted:

Are the Harbor Freight tool chests any good, or is there a better cheap one? My accretion of tools is starting to get really hard to sort through

They're the best value out there.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The 44" one is solid. I can stand on the edge of the drawers when they are fully extended and they don't deflect. I'm 150# so it is a nice test of the stated capacity. It was just on sale a few weeks ago for $30 off so maybe wait to see if that happens again.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

The rolling ones are amazing for the price. The small handheld ones are a gamble. The 4 drawer black one has been my work cart for 6 years now and is fine. The 5 drawer carts recently had some changes done and now come in 3 colors. Everyone i have talked to loves them. Hazard fraught has really upped its game lately.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
44" ones are gangbusters, no regrets at all

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I didn't realize they were so legit. They are slightly more expensive than their Craftsman and Kobalt counterparts. Everything I've bought from either brand, except a Craftsman torque wrench and a Kobalt ratchet set, has been garbage, so I needed to know if the bad reputation was warranted

I'll keep my eyes open for that sale price

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Old bench vise update:

First I went to town with wire brushes until I ran out of wire:

I also had some brushes for drill attachment, but those weren't nearly as effective so I decided to try something I've been curious about for years:

After a few hours of electrolysis in a sodium carbonate solution, something had happened. I'm not super impressed with this method of rust removal, but it made an impressive gunky foam at least.

By this time it was obvious that I haven't actually bought a forged tool like the seller claimed it was, since there are clearly visible casting marks on it. Not sure if cast steel or cast iron, but I decided not to risk welding it since it was strictly cosmetic pitting that bothered me a little. Several coats of paint later, it looks like this:

Assembly and install will have to wait for a few weeks, hopefully enough time for the paint to not be gummy and sensitive anymore. I went with red since I found some paint chips embedded in the rust in that color. On second thought green would have been nicer, but the deed is done and it will have to do.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

I didn't realize they were so legit. They are slightly more expensive than their Craftsman and Kobalt counterparts. Everything I've bought from either brand, except a Craftsman torque wrench and a Kobalt ratchet set, has been garbage, so I needed to know if the bad reputation was warranted

I'll keep my eyes open for that sale price

Yes, they are legit from a price/performance ratio.

SBD (Stanley Black and Decker) who now owns Craftsman is getting ready to launch some different Craftstman branded boxes. They have some interesting features, but who knows when they will be out.

There are a lot of dynamics at play, but the tl;dr, the HF 44" will be more than adequate for most weekend mechanics.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
These two things are my new fav thing to bring to dumb driving events.

The Milwaukee Inflator: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Compact-Inflator-Tool-Only-2475-20/304768834

Slime Inflator Adapter: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MY55BT5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

I hate screw on tire inflators so the adapter fixes that. And not needing a cigarette lighter and having the pump auto shutoff makes me way less lazy about changing pressures at events.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm not going to trade out my Viair 88p anytime soon (I've heard the M12 inflator isn't really up to the task of reinflating four Jeep tires from 10-30 PSI) but I'm all about that chuck adapter.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 4, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, cordless tire inflators are the bees knees.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
alright i need a good way to organize my screwdrivers. i have a nice pegboard setup from wall control but these are too expensive imo

https://www.wallcontrol.com/slotted-metal-pegboard-screwdriver-holder-blue/

and i've seen a design on thingaverse for a 3d printed solution but it's not actually designed to lock into pegboard it merely screws into it (wtf)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Mods, user-name change for me to "garage queen screwdriver" please

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BraveUlysses posted:

alright i need a good way to organize my screwdrivers. i have a nice pegboard setup from wall control but these are too expensive imo

https://www.wallcontrol.com/slotted-metal-pegboard-screwdriver-holder-blue/

and i've seen a design on thingaverse for a 3d printed solution but it's not actually designed to lock into pegboard it merely screws into it (wtf)

Look for scratch and dent Wall Control. Or print the designs and screw them to the pegboard, I don't see why that's a problem.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the whole point of pegboard is to use the drat holes not drive screws into it

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Slatwall or no wall.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Seminal Flu posted:

Slatwall or no wall.

French cleats or death!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

French cleats or death!

Reasonable alternative, tbh.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

sharkytm posted:

French cleats or death!

More like SURRENDER CLEATS HURR!!!!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Thoughts on a corded electric impact wrench? I need to do suspension and it might be handy on bolts that haven't been touched in 13 years.

For that matter I should get a torque wrench too.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

More like SURRENDER CLEATS HURR!!!!

FREEDOM Cleats.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Charles posted:

Thoughts on a corded electric impact wrench? I need to do suspension and it might be handy on bolts that haven't been touched in 13 years.

Last I checked the corded ones had gently caress all for power, and a cord to boot. Go cordless.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Get a Milwaukee 1/2" cordless impact driver. Do some wrist exercises.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

StormDrain posted:

Last I checked the corded ones had gently caress all for power, and a cord to boot. Go cordless.

Really, that seems counter-intuitive, but the corded one has 300ft-lbs and the M18 battery has 450ft-lbs. Hmm

EightBit posted:

Get a Milwaukee 1/2" cordless impact driver. Do some wrist exercises.

I was hoping not to have to buy a whole battery system, as that's $$$. Sigh

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The big 18/20v 1/2" impact guns compete with air now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Charles posted:

I've got an old corded impact my dad gave me and it's loving Weenie Hut Jr. It's so drat big and unwieldy that it's useless for most fasteners because it won't fit in the space you have to work. For tire changes, I just grab the breaker bar and my M12 1/4" impact driver with a socket adapter. Takes about half the time and saves my ears. If you can spare the coin, pick up a 1/2" cordless.