Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Am I broken? E31s do nothing for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hitze posted:

Am I broken? E31s do nothing for me

yea same

i mean when i think of things that are wrong with my e39 m5 "not fast enough" doesn't really make the list

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
5 seconds to 60mph?
:whitewater:

transient
Apr 7, 2005
Hoping this is the right place. Could be more general advice, but it's a BMW so...

2012 328i (F30). 72k miles, manual transmission. It's paid off (original owner) and has a brand new clutch (wtf) and is out of warranty. I did have the timing chain replaced due to the recall. Had some issues on a road trip and is now sitting at a BMW dealership. They're recommending a new engine. Dead cylinder, pushing out air. New engine is 7100 plus tax.

My concern: New clutch and engine conveniently one year out of warranty. I'd planned to drive this for another 4-5 years. Trade-in is ~10,500. I put a lot of Bay Area commute miles on it.

The rep is all about me keeping it due to the new engine, clutch and the fact that it's manual. His view is that it's otherwise really well maintained. I'm worried this is the beginning of me pouring money into it that could be better spent elsewhere.

Advice? Obviously this isn't my forte or I wouldn't be here, but can try to answer any follow-up questions.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

transient posted:

Hoping this is the right place. Could be more general advice, but it's a BMW so...

2012 328i (F30). 72k miles, manual transmission. It's paid off (original owner) and has a brand new clutch (wtf) and is out of warranty. I did have the timing chain replaced due to the recall. Had some issues on a road trip and is now sitting at a BMW dealership. They're recommending a new engine. Dead cylinder, pushing out air. New engine is 7100 plus tax.

My concern: New clutch and engine conveniently one year out of warranty. I'd planned to drive this for another 4-5 years. Trade-in is ~10,500. I put a lot of Bay Area commute miles on it.

The rep is all about me keeping it due to the new engine, clutch and the fact that it's manual. His view is that it's otherwise really well maintained. I'm worried this is the beginning of me pouring money into it that could be better spent elsewhere.

Advice? Obviously this isn't my forte or I wouldn't be here, but can try to answer any follow-up questions.

Independent shop for a junkyard motor.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah definitely don't get a new motor from a dealer. Hit up some (a lot of) independents for a second opinion, and some of them might have a source 2nd hand ones that they could test and verify on their own. They may not though, but either way would probably do a better deal for a new one than a dealer would most likely.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

5 seconds to 60mph?
:whitewater:

Install Harry’s dyno and see how fast you can do it irl op

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

transient posted:

bitch like gently caress to BMW Corp first to see if you can get all or part of it goodwilled. If you can get like even half of it goodwilled I'd prefer a new motor to a junkyard pull. Your appetite for both risk and spending money may be different and of course will drive that decision.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bitch like gently caress to BMW Corp first to see if you can get all or part of it goodwilled. If you can get like even half of it goodwilled I'd prefer a new motor to a junkyard pull. Your appetite for both risk and spending money may be different and of course will drive that decision.

Yeah I'd recommend this route at first. What exactly did they tell you the problem was? Did they tell you what they think may have caused it? Have you always had it dealer maintained?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Considering it's only a year out of warranty, I would also complain to BMW corporate to see if they can do anything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lol TIL that BMW does not have a separate powertrain warranty because they do not expect their Finely Tuned Precision Engineered Bavarian Masterpieces to really last more than 45,000 miles covered by bumper to bumper

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Every once in a while, a specific part gets a 10 year warranty, but it's a secret shhhhhh.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol TIL that BMW does not have a separate powertrain warranty because they do not expect their Finely Tuned Precision Engineered Bavarian Masterpieces to really last more than 45,000 miles covered by bumper to bumper

expect? nah they just dont care.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

The waaaaaiiiiiting is the hardest part

Gonna be a long 3 months :negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hey, I'll go pick it up for you, free of charge.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Does anybody know the story on the HPFP issues for the F10 535d? I drove one the yesterday and the torque is phenomenal, but these horror stories I'm reading about the pump going and taking the rest of the fuel system with it are giving me second thoughts. It sounds like some VINs get a 10y/120k warranty but others don't? I really, really love this car, but I can't justify a $10k+ repair because I happened to get some water in the fuel system.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

tuo posted:

e: also this:

this is the trick for a non-CSi. I know people who have the facelift version with the M73 instead of the M70, and they tend to have much more problems with different stuff. With the M70, there is a known issue with the oil line to the camshaft working loose over time, so the front part of the (iirc right, because the screw on that side tends to turn loose) camshaft starts degrading, and a new camshaft is expensive as hell....simply check the screws that fix the oil line. This was fixed with the M73 though. The automatic transmission is also nothing to write home about...try to get one of (the few) manuals.

The proverbial “banjo bolts”. Usually done while the top end is apart to replace the intake manifold gaskets. I did my gaskets since they were hardened and leaking at about 40,000 miles, mostly due to age not to mileage-related heat. All the banjos were tight, so I didn’t replace them at that point.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

ausgezeichnet posted:

The proverbial “banjo bolts”. Usually done while the top end is apart to replace the intake manifold gaskets. I did my gaskets since they were hardened and leaking at about 40,000 miles, mostly due to age not to mileage-related heat. All the banjos were tight, so I didn’t replace them at that point.

:hmmyes: this is the first thing to check on any M70 BMW (not sure if they fixed this by the time the M73s were out?)

Mine is only a lowly 840, but I've been (mostly) DDing it since 2006, and it's been rock solid. A few stupid things here and there, but nothing serious. Although I do have to rebuild the motor at some point, since it's burning oil now at almost 170k miles. I'm a little more conscious of stacking up miles on it these days, simply due to the fact that it's 25 years old at this point. My old Prelude sprung a leak in the fuel tank, so I sadly had to say goodbye to it. Good news is, as luck would have it, my parents got a new car around the same time, and had no use for their old one. The dealership was offering them poo poo for the trade in, so I got it. So, I traded my awesome Prelude for a gold Honda Odyssey. It runs like it's brand new, but :negative: minivan

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Sending out an SOS:

https://youtu.be/yRvSh6RDrzc

Timing cover is back off and timing looks right. What gives? ‘88 M20B27 with I head cam valve springs AFM throttle body intake manifold and 173 DME...

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The waaaaaiiiiiting is the hardest part

Gonna be a long 3 months :negative:

You picked a great color combo, matched my 1er

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tremek posted:

Sending out an SOS:

https://youtu.be/yRvSh6RDrzc

Timing cover is back off and timing looks right. What gives? ‘88 M20B27 with I head cam valve springs AFM throttle body intake manifold and 173 DME...

Haven't broken any rockers? Otherwise it could be fuel cut shenanigans due to a sensor, plug, wiring or DME fault. I read the other thread and fuel pressure being there/fuel pump priming doesn't equal fuel out of injectors to idle after cranking

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My 318 sounded like that when I had the spark plugs on the wrong wires?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

We figured it out, clocking of the cam was off a tiny bit even though it looked like it was set properly. No damage and the car runs well now!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

On another road trip this year and my beemer is back in its homeland.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Your car is beautiful but I think your Pic got flipped horizontally!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My dealer has called me twice this week to ask if I would sell my allocation spot. First offer was $2,500, today was $5,000. Getting mighty tempting...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My dealer has called me twice this week to ask if I would sell my allocation spot. First offer was $2,500, today was $5,000. Getting mighty tempting...

Tell 'em that you'll take $5,000 for it, but due to production numbers and high demand, there will be a $10,000 adjustment bringing it to $15,000.

Please do this in person and video it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is making me want to put in an order just to be bought out of it by the dealer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sell it. In 2 years you’ll be able to buy one with cash on the hood.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeahhhh I probably won't sell it. I bought the m2 to have an m2, not to make a couple bucks. Plus I'd be selling "Having an M2 today" for $5k when the market demands $10k+ for it.

If they get closer to $10k before my production begins, I'll be tempted.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeahhhh I probably won't sell it. I bought the m2 to have an m2, not to make a couple bucks. Plus I'd be selling "Having an M2 today" for $5k when the market demands $10k+ for it.
All the more reason to do exactly this:

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Tell 'em that you'll take $5,000 for it, but due to production numbers and high demand, there will be a $10,000 adjustment bringing it to $15,000.

Please do this in person and video it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Holy LAFFO, I missed that post. That is hilarious.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
....it's a free 5k? just take it and buy one later

edit: better yet, sell the allocation, take the money and throw it at a E92M with an incredible exhaust

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Not free. I sell my spot in line for $5k, and put myself at the end of the 18 month wait list.

Doesn't seem like a good deal

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Also remember that you'll have to pay taxes on that so it's not even 5k.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not free. I sell my spot in line for $5k, and put myself at the end of the 18 month wait list.

Doesn't seem like a good deal

Spend the $5k on an e30, drive for 18months, sell for profit and probably get a m2 cheaper after all the hype dies down.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Sell all your possessions, buy an e46 M3 and a mountain of cocaine, do a burn out into the Grand Canyon when the coke runs out, live fast/die young.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-screwing-buyers-what-went-wrong-a-1827474482

Yikes, apparently ECS Tuning has become a real poo poo show of a company.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I haven't ordered a ton of parts from ECS but it's been generally perfectly fine. One time I needed to add a part to my order after I had completed it and all it took was a 5 minute phone call, no problem.

Haven't had any issues with parts arriving late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yall see the 8 series release? That's a hefty coupe and also price tag. Body styling looks a little too... Modern Mustang for my taste