Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ill Peripheral posted:

Canada's gun laws are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

or a first nations person dares to enter their property/line of vision

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
I think that when you buy a gun you should have to sign something that says you promise never to murder anybody including yourself, and if you violate that agreement hoo boy you'd better look out because you're on big trouble mister

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Also anti more gun control bullshit, because it'll make resistance by minority groups even more difficult, and it is pretty obvious who is going to be targetted.

what

James Baud posted:

Circling back, what part of this would I particularly regret and why? Baffled earlier, baffled now.

suiciders going suicide and if we ban guns we are taking away the easiest method to do so there it's heartless. im human

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I think that when you buy a gun you should have to sign something that says you promise never to murder anybody including yourself, and if you violate that agreement hoo boy you'd better look out because you're on big trouble mister

we should buy back all guns and then make a throne of guns for the pm to sit in while in parliament

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Baloogan posted:

i live in the woods and i hunt

with a handgun?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
This plus the pipeline news might be a bad enough week to pull the final jenga block out of canada's economy. Someone should probably do a little lethal means restriction sweep at the Butts household.

quote:

Talks between Canadian and U.S. trade negotiators turned sour last night and Trudeau government officials are now expressing concern that a final NAFTA deal will not be concluded on Friday, the deadline set by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Despite repeated efforts by Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland to offer concessions to maintain an independent trade dispute mechanism in a revamped trade deal, U.S. Trade Relations Representative Robert Lighthizer has refused to budge, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The source said Mr. Lighthizer and the U.S.are holding fast on eliminating Chapter 19 - which allows Ottawa to challenge punitive American tariffs on imports before binational panels - and refusing to keep current cultural protection provisions in a redrafted North America free-trade agreement.

Ms. Freeland, who said on Thursday a deal is possible, had offered the Americans concessions on increased U.S. dairy exports to Canada U.S. and on intellectual property, but Mr. Lighthizer was unwilling to offer any concessions of his own on the two key Canadian demands.

There is now deep concern within the Canadian negotiating team that the talks which continue this morning will end in failure.

https://outline.com/ddLW5B

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lol

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...ith-canada.html

quote:

WASHINGTON – High-stakes trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. were dramatically upended on Friday morning by inflammatory secret remarks from President Donald Trump, after the remarks were obtained by the Toronto Star.

In remarks Trump wanted to be “off the record,” Trump told Bloomberg News reporters on Thursday, according to a source, that he is not making any compromises at all in the talks with Canada — but that he cannot say this publicly because “it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal.”

“Here’s the problem. If I say no — the answer’s no. If I say no, then you’re going to put that, and it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal...I can’t kill these people,” he said of the Canadian government.

In another remark he did not want published, Trump said, according to the source, that the possible deal with Canada would be “totally on our terms.” He suggested he was scaring the Canadians into submission by repeatedly threatening to impose tariffs.

“Off the record, Canada’s working their rear end off. And every time we have a problem with a point, I just put up a picture of a Chevrolet Impala,” Trump said, according to the source. The Impala is produced at the General Motors plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

Trump made the remarks in an Oval Office interview with Bloomberg. He deemed them off the record, and Bloomberg accepted his request not to reveal them.

But the Star is not bound by any promises Bloomberg made to Trump. And the remarks immediately became a factor in the negotiations: Trudeau’s officials, who saw them as evidence for their previous suspicions that Trump’s team had not been bargaining in good faith, raised them at the beginning of a meeting with their U.S. counterparts on Friday morning.

The Star was not able to independently confirm the remarks with 100 per cent certainty, but the Canadian government is confident they are accurate. Bloomberg editor-in-chief John Micklethwait, who was one of the journalists in the room, did not dispute their authenticity.

White House deputy press secretary Lindsay Walters said, “If this was said, it was said in an off the record capacity. I understand you guys have obtained it; I’m not sure where you’ve obtained it from.” She said she was looking into “the authenticity of what was said,” but she added that there are “sensitivities” to off-record comments.

The unusual series of events began on Friday morning, when the Star asked Trudeau’s team, which was heading into a critical top-level 9 a.m. meeting with Trump’s team, for comment on the remarks.

Trudeau’s team believed the remarks to be accurate, and it saw them as confirmation of its suspicions that Trump’s team has not been truly planning to compromise. Earlier on Friday morning, before becoming aware of the remarks, a Canadian official told the Star the U.S. side was not offering “any movement” on the issues most important to Canada.

So at the outset of the Friday meeting — which was expected to involve Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland and senior Trudeau adviser Gerald Butts among others on the Canadian side and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and senior Trump aide Jared Kushner among others on the U.S. side — Trudeau’s officials unveiled the quotes to their U.S. counterparts.

The Canadian government declined to comment on what transpired in the meeting.

On the record, Trump told Bloomberg that a deal was “close,” that it could happen by Friday but might take longer, and that Canada ultimately has “no choice” but to make a deal. Bloomberg quoted these remarks.

But then he said, “Off the record: totally on our terms. Totally.”

“Again off the record, they came knocking on our doors last night. ‘Let’s make a deal. Please,’” he said.

Bloomberg’s Micklethwait declined to comment.

“‘Off the record’ means ‘off the record’ — and we should respect that,” Micklethwait said in an email.

Trump’s remarks came at a particularly delicate time in the negotiations. Negotiators have been trying for three days to meet a Trump-imposed Friday deadline for making a deal.

The deadline is not firm. Even if the U.S. formally notifies Congress on Friday that it has made a preliminary deal with Mexico alone, as Trump officials have threatened to do, Canada can almost certainly be added to the arrangement at any time in the next month.

Trump, of course, is known for both dishonesty and for bragging about his own greatness, and he regularly makes dubious claims about how he is supposedly dominating the begging people on the other side of the bargaining table from him. When he claimed to have made no compromises, it is distinctly possible he was making a false claim to impress the Bloomberg journalists.

Regardless of their truthfulness, the president’s comments are significant for more than one reason.

As Trump said, his claim that he has not compromised at all could make it harder for Trudeau to sell the deal to Canadians as a win for both countries. But the disclosure of the claim could also make it harder for Trump to convince Americans that Canada is at fault for any impasse.

It is noteworthy that Trump, who has claimed to be indifferent about whether Canada signs a deal, is interested enough in securing Canada’s participation that he went off the record to avoid an optics problem for Trudeau.

And the comments are a rare example of Trump self-censoring his public remarks out of concern for diplomatic sensitivities. The president is proud of his fondness for insults — Trudeau has been one of his favourite recent foreign targets — and of his disregard for conventions of politeness.

The public will not know precisely what concessions were made by each side until experts are able to read a text of the deal. Any agreement would cover hundreds of products and numerous complicated subject areas.

Trump’s team, meanwhile, publicly blamed Canada for the deadlock on Friday morning.

“There have been no concessions by Canada on agriculture,” a spokesperson for the Lighthizer told the Washington Post.

There is a precedent for Trump’s off the record remarks to one media outlet being revealed to another. In 2017, after the Wall Street Journal declined to release a full transcript of its own interview with Trump, Politico published the full text.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow, that's possibly the least surprising thing ever.

whoever could have imagined that the reality tv star whose gimmick was "hardball" negotiation would refuse to bargain in good faith, and also be dumb enough to admit that?

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
it's a good thing Canada can go type to toe with America in a trade war since we're an economic juggernaut of domestically produced dairy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm sure if america really wants to cut their own dick off by levying tariffs that primarily harm american companies operating in canada there's very little we can do to stop them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if we just let america do whatever they want all of the time?

oh, right, we were already doing that and it somehow wasn't good enough.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
i guess one benefit i didn't consider is that all the chuds that live in windsor and oshawa will lose their jobs. I'd be happy to hand out suicide handguns as an act of mercy

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

infernal machines posted:

what if we just let america do whatever they want all of the time?

oh, right, we were already doing that and it somehow wasn't good enough.

hmm yes rally round the family with a pocket full of shells

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Something like 14 million jobs in the US depend on trade with Canada so at least there's some degree of mutually-assured destruction.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dinosaurtrain posted:

i guess one benefit i didn't consider is that all the chuds that live in windsor and oshawa will lose their jobs. I'd be happy to hand out suicide handguns as an act of mercy

we'll have to quadruple down on LAV production for export

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dinosaurtrain posted:

hmm yes rally round the family with a pocket full of shells

maybe we can toss the dairy farmers onto that big softwood pyre and set it ablaze to signal our surrender

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

wow, that's possibly the least surprising thing ever.

whoever could have imagined that the reality tv star whose gimmick was "hardball" negotiation would refuse to bargain in good faith, and also be dumb enough to admit that?

I don't get why it's good/bad faith. We're in a terrible negotiating position. We need to export basically everything to them, our economy is teetering, government's losing popularity, our fuckin pipeline just got cancelled and we are the ones who are the post national pro-globalized gender and indigenous chapter wanting lameasses. We're metaphorically the overextended hipster douchebags going to the rich guy for a temporary high interest loan so we can sell our $900k crack house we bought because it was close to our favorite restaurant on a whim then we lost our job at the bike shop and now we're going to bitch that his high interest rates are bad faith.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao what?

how do you think trade negotiations work? they're generally not a soapbox for you to bitch about how much you hate those SJW liberals in any case.

we're also their largest trading partner, right? so in theory they too have something to lose and as such there's no reason for us to let them dictate the terms. if president goodbrains really wants to start a trade war over his ego, he can do that, and we'll both suffer.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/HonSFletcher/status/1035208018810609664

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I'm assisted dying of embarrassment by proxy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's something.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

lmao what?

how do you think trade negotiations work? they're generally not a soapbox for you to bitch about how much you hate those SJW liberals in any case.

we're also their largest trading partner, right? so in theory they too have something to lose and as such there's no reason for us to let them dictate the terms. if president goodbrains really wants to start a trade war over his ego, he can do that, and we'll both suffer.

I think China is their largest trading partner and we're almost tied with Mexico but a lot of ours is american companies making stuff here because our dollar is cheaper, that goes away with any tariffs and the advantages of moving parts across the border and finished products back down again stops making sense. Mexico, US and China can absorb those jobs no problemo.

And if freeland wants to get on a soapbox for no reason, the US is free to walk away because they're negotiating with people who don't seem to care about trade, that's what they did last summer (and probably this summer).

https://twitter.com/marciayoungcbc/status/897085440624386050

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ban all guns, except for ones with the handle on the magazine backward so you can only easily use it for suicides, imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I think China is their largest trading partner and we're almost tied with Mexico but a lot of ours is american companies making stuff here because our dollar is cheaper, that goes away with any tariffs and the advantages of moving parts across the border and finished products back down again stops making sense. Mexico, US and China can absorb those jobs no problemo.

China is the US's largest trading partner but we're their largest export market if you don't count the EU as one entity. Even if you do, they only beat us by $1B.

Getting in a trade war will hurt Canada more than the US but it will hardly be painless for millions of Americans whose jobs rely, in part, on selling goods to Canadian corporations and consumers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*reads article about the us president outright stating that they're unwilling to negotiate in any way*~
:thunk:

I bet it's those damned SJWs again!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well I guess it's a good thing that the US gov't would never do anything to harm US workers.

Or is the idea that we take consolation in the fact that suffering is more widespread...somehow?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i dunno, are we arguing for appeasement as a trade strategy?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm certainly not.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, yeah, so where are we then?

the president is a loving nutjob and he's going to harm millions of americans to demonstrate his raging erection... i guess we'd better throw canadian industry under the bus to save them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

how do we avoid doing that? I don't feel like we have a lot of tools available to preserve US export markets unilaterally.

like, what specifically are you suggesting, and to what specific outcome?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

according to some stuff i read today the big holdup is chapter 19 still

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lets not forget he's currently loving trade up big time with China and the EU.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

regardless of how you feel about our country its better for canada to say "no deal" to whatever poo poo trump throws on the table and then let it play out in congress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm specifically suggesting we let the negotiations remain stalled and hope that internal pressure forces their hand because there's nothing to be gained by allowing the US to act in bad faith. if need be, let the agreements lapse completely.

seeing as we're shitposting in c-spam i'm not going to prepare a well considered policy document for continued trade negotiations, but the desired outcome would be for them to return to the table with the intent to negotiate rather than dictate.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

according to some stuff i read today the big holdup is chapter 19 still

ah yes, remove any pretense of enforcement measures in the agreement one party habitually violates. i can't see why that'd be a sticking point.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

i'm specifically suggesting we let the negotiations remain stalled and hope that internal pressure forces their hand because there's nothing to be gained by allowing the US to act in bad faith. if need be, let the agreements lapse completely.

seeing as we're shitposting in c-spam i'm not going to prepare a well considered policy document for continued trade negotiations, but the desired outcome would be for them to return to the table with the intent to negotiate rather than dictate.

Not to mention Trudeau could score some easy, and desperately needed, points at home by looking tough and standing up to Trump. As much as I despise Trudeau, Scheer is looking really bad.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
let's threaten to withhold peacekeeping assistance. check and mate Americans

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dinosaurtrain posted:

let's threaten to withhold peacekeeping assistance. check and mate Americans

Lets start selling LAV's to inner city gangs in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Virtual Russian posted:

Not to mention Trudeau could score some easy, and desperately needed, points at home by looking tough and standing up to Trump. As much as I despise Trudeau, Scheer is looking really bad.

Yeah a policy of “gently caress you trump we can wait you out” wouldn’t hurt going into an election year.