Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
And then in the final quarter of the game, Terra gains the ability to switch to an alt form and it's so powerful that next time she appears they don't let you use it until the final two stages on the golden route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Give me Final Fantasy IX so I can blow everything on turning Steiner into the most polite and clueless engine of destruction.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If you think about it, swapping mechs is a form of Job System.

Sciencegar
Dec 21, 2013

I'm afraid its because of Super-Science.

Regular-Ass Science is innocent.
Finished my first playthrough of V. Really good I found, even if I was stupidly powerful by the end. Now I need to do at least 2 more playthroughs to see all the scenarios, then I need to think about secrets. Assuming there's any challenge in the game at that point, what with the likely dozens of FUB'd people and all those skill parts I'll be feeding to Akito and Graham forever.

Then I can move on to X. That'll be odd.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You can make a save at a route split decision and then just load that up and play the other stages to fill out the chart if you don't want to play through the whole thing a third time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey remember Left Alive? The third person shooter from Square-Enix that's also in the Front Mission universe? Well here's some new screenshots and gameplay info because they couldn't just release a trailer for Gamescom (come back next month for TGS).

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The Z2s and 3s are all on sale for about half off, along with Masoukishin 1-3. I know Masoukishin 3 is garbage but how many of these are worth buying?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Z2 has some issues and is comprehensively a step back from Z but Z is pretty much the best SRW ever so Z2 is just okay.

Z3-1 is solid very much despite the originals but a lot of it leads into Z3-2 and that finale is hot trash.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

I played the hell out of Techromancer back in my Dreamcast days. The game itself was a perfect homage to every giant robot genre. I'd buy a remake of it if someone decided to redo it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good guide to SD Gundam G Generation Genesis? I ordered it on a whim since it was on sale at Play-Asia and seeing the Turn A (Black History) obliterate a screen of mobile suits/armor made me want to play it.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 26, 2018

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Now I'm not saying this is a good idea. But I'm also saying that the next SRW should have Robogeisha in it. It has robots in it...

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Archer666 posted:

Now I'm not saying this is a good idea. But I'm also saying that the next SRW should have Robogeisha in it. It has robots in it...

Sure, let's put that in one of the handheld games that Brunom1 translates, maybe pair it up with Macross Frontier :v:

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 26, 2018

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know, I didn't watch it, and I hear it turned out a mess, but I feel like Darling in the Franxx would work well with a couple series, mostly Cross Ange and Mangabarrels, the former because of the whole similarities between Norma and Parasites roles in society, and possibly just to see if the Parasites don't actually see anything wrong with how Norma are treated because of their stupid isolated upbringing, while Mangabarrels has me imagining Katou developing a twitch in his eye whenever he thinks of the immortality serum for that series. I feel like the early game for that game would involve getting the Juda crew, then having to go deal with the Katous in the Franxx designated section of the planet, then oshit dragons.

Possibly you recruit the final boss of Mangabarrels because Embryo is that much of a douche.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Okay, so... When playing Alpha, do not pump Z's armour rating like crazy and then, when playing the Z vs GGoD stage, do not put him on the Labs so that he can laugh at the supposedly powerful Battle Beasts as their attacks do no damage to him...because the game needs Z to get damaged to a certain point so that Great and your guys show up to save the day. If you manage to get Kouji to basically be invincible, then when you kill Gorgon and Dante, the game brings out GGoD and your guys, who shouldn't even be there, are apparently talking and the game acts like everyone showed up because they apparently didn't consider the possibility that Z wouldn't get beat up... Lesson learned.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
tfw your grandfather's mazinger really is invinsible

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

Okay, so... When playing Alpha, do not pump Z's armour rating like crazy and then, when playing the Z vs GGoD stage, do not put him on the Labs so that he can laugh at the supposedly powerful Battle Beasts as their attacks do no damage to him...because the game needs Z to get damaged to a certain point so that Great and your guys show up to save the day. If you manage to get Kouji to basically be invincible, then when you kill Gorgon and Dante, the game brings out GGoD and your guys, who shouldn't even be there, are apparently talking and the game acts like everyone showed up because they apparently didn't consider the possibility that Z wouldn't get beat up... Lesson learned.

I guess Mazinger acquired the ability to self recover, allowing the deceased Mazinger to keep on resurrecting.

Of course, it couldn't have done it without Kouji.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Alpha is a very well designed game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Thankfully nowadays we will just enter Cutscene Mode where attacks that did 2 digit damage suddenly take off half your healthbar.

Or suddenly 3 more enemies show up and the good guys freak out about that until reinforcements or powerups happen.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Here's a thought experiment for the thread;

You have been selected to put together the series list for a new console SRW game that will be getting a US release, as part of that there are some restrictions and rules that have to be followed;

1) no less than 12 entries, no more than 22

2) all series selected have to be available on a US accessible streaming service(like Crunchyroll, Funimation, or Hi-Dive to give some examples) for rights purposes

3) you have to include at least one entry each for the Gundam, Mazinger, and Getter Robo franchises

4) rule 2 doesn't apply to fulfilling rule 3

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly you could almost cobble together V or X based on those restrictions already. And you could easily go with something like;

G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Iron Blooded Orphans
Mazinkaiser
Getter Robo: Apocalypse
Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The Big O
Code Geass: R2
Eureka Seven
Nadesico

And then fill it out with any of; Buddy Complex, Cross Ange, Darling in the Franxx, Netflix Voltron, Golion etc

Buddy Complex would even open an easy time travel option so you don't need to do dimension hopping etc.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd like to see Sidonia and Gun X Sword in that, also maybe bullshit in Casshern Sins in with Casshern just being a single XXXS unit?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

newcomer series have a * next to them

1) Gundam Wing
2) Gundam Ironblooded Orphans *
3) Gundam SEED
4) Shin Getter Robo
5) Shin Mazinger Z
6) Big O
7) Darling in the Franxx *
8) Kuromukuro *
9) Godannar
10) Gurren Lagann
11) Code Geass
12) Voltron: Legendary Defenders *
13) Cross Ange
14) Dai-Guard
15) Martian Successor Nadesico
16) Eureka Seven
17) GodMars
18) Tetstujin 28-go (1963) *

Reasonable amount of new stuff, reused stuff, and stuff that hasn't been in for a minute, imo. Of course I was mostly just trying to hit everything that was on toonami, but Eva and Zoids aren't streaming anywhere.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

newcomer series have a * next to them

1) Gundam Wing
2) Gundam Ironblooded Orphans *
3) Gundam SEED
4) Shin Getter Robo
5) Shin Mazinger Z
6) Big O
7) Darling in the Franxx *
8) Kuromukuro *
9) Godannar
10) Gurren Lagann
11) Code Geass
12) Voltron: Legendary Defenders *
13) Cross Ange
14) Dai-Guard
15) Martian Successor Nadesico
16) Eureka Seven
17) GodMars
18) Tetstujin 28-go (1963) *

Reasonable amount of new stuff, reused stuff, and stuff that hasn't been in for a minute, imo. Of course I was mostly just trying to hit everything that was on toonami, but Eva and Zoids aren't streaming anywhere.

Where is the 60s Tetsujin being streamed?

Also forgot a couple bonus optional stipulations;

1) give a basic(or not so basic) synopsis of your scenario, as well as any special things you are doing with your series

2) try to have no more than 5 series in common* with the following SRW games; V, X, UX, BX, and any one entry in the Z series

*Gundam, Mazinger, and Getter Robo don't count towards this stipulation

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
1. Gundam Build Fighters
2. Gundam Build Fighters Try
3. Gundam Build Fighters Dive
4. Cardfight! Vanguard (mecha clans only)
5. Medabots
6. LBX
7. Robotech (miniatures)
8. Transformers
9. Yu-gi-oh (mecha)
10/11 - Ehhh I dunno Mazinger or Getter enough to pick one so just put one of each here
12. Yo-Kai Watch (mecha yokai)

A group of kids who are experts at their respective toy/card-battling games are brought together by a mysterious corporation to play a new game: Great Wars. In this game all their favorite units from the miniature/card games they loved make an appearance. However, when a mysterious message from an alien source reveals that the battles the children have been playing out in the game are happening in real life, far away from Earth, the kids team up with their new alien pals to take down the mysterious corporation that tried to turn them into the vicarious heroes of a massacre.

Super Robot Taisen C

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Is there a good guide to SD Gundam G Generation Genesis?
A gameplay guide? I think the only thing you'll need is to try to find an MS Evolution chart - it's not really a strategic game moreso a grinding and mobile suit raising simulator. I guess someone could give you some tips to expedite the grind or something but I'm not sure if there's any reason to play it then. Also I'm fairly certain there's in-game tutorials that explains mechanics.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

maybe bullshit in Casshern Sins in with Casshern just being a single XXXS unit?
You guys have some weird ideas about size categories in SRW - human-sized is SS in SRW. I don't think you'll bust out the XXXS size unless Angelic Layer is the new debut.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

unless Angelic Layer is the new debut.

Fffffffffffff why didn’t I think of that for SRWC???

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davzz posted:

A gameplay guide? I think the only thing you'll need is to try to find an MS Evolution chart - it's not really a strategic game moreso a grinding and mobile suit raising simulator. I guess someone could give you some tips to expedite the grind or something but I'm not sure if there's any reason to play it then. Also I'm fairly certain there's in-game tutorials that explains mechanics.

OK, I didn't know if there were routes or anything like SRW. I've never played an SD Gundam game before so I'm walking into it kind of blind outside of being familiar with Gundam.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You can replay every stage whenever you want and once you've gone through it once you can skip the part of the stage that's before you get to choose your units to deploy to get straight to the action.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

drrockso20 posted:

2) all series selected have to be available on a US accessible streaming service(like Crunchyroll, Funimation, or Hi-Dive to give some examples) for rights purposes

Question: Does iTunes count as a streaming service for the purposes of this rule?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Question: Does iTunes count as a streaming service for the purposes of this rule?

I'm going to clarify that when I say it's available on a streaming service, that you don't have to pay for a specific show just the service or channel, so I imagine stuff on iTunes doesn't count, while say for example something that becomes free to watch on Amazon because you have a Prime subscription(or have subscribed to a channel on there) is eligible

also to aid in this challenge I went through several streaming services and put together a list of all the Mecha(and some Mecha adjacent) series I could find, I probably missed some(especially on Netflix and Amazon Prime as it's kinda rear end to find stuff on either service), also I only listed a series the first time I found it, so for example Aldnoah Zero is available on multiple services but I only listed it under Crunchyroll as that's where I first found it;

Crunchyroll

Active Raid
Aldnoah Zero
Aquarion
Aquarion Logos
Argevollen
Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Asura Cryin
Blassreiter
Blue Submarine No.6
Bokurano
Broken Blade
Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040
Buddy Complex
Burst Angel
Captain Earth
Captain Harlock
Casshern Sins
Code Geass
Code Geass- Akito The Exiled
Comet Lucifer
Dai-Shogun Great Revolution
Darling in the FRANXX
Demian
Demonbane
Doamgyer-D
Eureka Seven
Eureka Seven AO
Fafner Exodus
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory
Full Metal Panic The Second Raid
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Gad Guard
GARO Vanishing Line
GARO The Animation
GARO Crimson Moon
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Gasaraki
Giant Gorg
Go Lion
God Mars
Gun X Sword
Gunbuster 2
Gundam Build Divers
Gundam Build Fighters
Gundam Build Fighters TRY
Gurren Lagann
Guyver: The Bio-Boosted Armor
HEROMAN
Infinite Stratos
Kiddy Grade
Knights & Magic
Linebarrels of Iron
Majestic Prince
Martian Successor Nadesico
Mazinger Edition Z
Mazinkaiser SKL
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Gundam Endless Waltz
Nobunaga The Fool
Outlaw Star
Pilot Candidate
Planet With
Samurai Flamenco
Samurai Pizza Cats
Schwarzes Marken
Scrapped Princess
Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato
Star Driver
Tenchi Muyo GXP
Tenchi Muyo War on Geminar
The Vision of Escaflowne
Time Bokan 24
Total Eclipse
Ultraman Geed
Ultraman 80
Ultraman Gaia
Ultraman Ginga
Ultraman Leo
Ultraman Max
Ultraman Mebius
Ultraman Nexus
Ultraman Orb
Ultraman X
Vandread

Hi-Dive

Gunbuster The Movie
Majestic Prince Special
Patlabor The Movie
Patlabor 2
Patlabor WXIII
Patlabor Original OVA's
Planzet
RahXephon The Movie
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Aura Battler Dunbine
The Big O(Season 1)
Blue Gale Xabungle
Casshan
Cross Ange
Destiny of The Shrine Maiden
Divergence Eve
Divergence Eve: Misaki Chronicles
Dokkoida!?
Godannar
IdolM@ster Xenoglossia
Kissdum R: Engage Planet
Legend of The Galactic Heroes
Nadia The Secret of Blue Water
Patlabor The Mobile Police(TV)
RahXephon
Reideen
Sakura Wars(TV)
The Skull Man
Space Runaway Ideon

Hulu

Fafnir: Heaven and Earth
Accel World
Aquarion EVOL
Astro Boy(2003)
Heavy Object
Heroic Age
Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne
Mobile Suit Gundam The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn(OVA)
Valvrave The Liberator

Netflix

Voltron Legendary Defender
Kuromukuro
Expelled From Paradise
Batman Unlimited: Mechs vs Mutants
Knights of Sidonia
Transformers Prime
ID-0
Robotech
Tiger & Bunny
Transformers Robots In Disguise(2015)

Funimation

Baldr Force EXE
Daimdaler: Prince vs Penguin Empire
Fafner
FLCL
Robotics;Notes
Sakura Wars The Movie
STRAIN: Strategic Armored Infantry

Shout Factory TV

Danguard Ace
Gaiking
Zyuranger
Dairanger
Kakuranger
Ohranger
Carranger
Megaranger
Gingaman
GoGoV

Crackle

Iron Man
Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

Amazon Prime

Toku Channel

Ultraman 80
Gridman
Mirrorman
The Ultraman
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle
Ultraseven X
Ultraman Neos
Saber Rider & The Star Sheriffs

Genesis Climber Mospeada
Gigantor

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Welp, there goes my dream of putting in Megas XLR.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Welp, there goes my dream of putting in Megas XLR.

The list was already pretty big with it's current restrictions, although I was thinking of adding an extra condition allowing up to 2 series not on that list to be used*, so you could use Megas if you wanted

*as mentioned in earlier rules Gundam, Mazinger, and Getter are already free of this restriction

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Is Mazinger Edition Z the localized name of Shin Mazinger IMPACT! Z-hen (on television)?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Is Mazinger Edition Z the localized name of Shin Mazinger IMPACT! Z-hen (on television)?

Yes

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hot drat, I didn't know Nadesico, Mazinger and Vandread were on Crunchyroll, thanks for the list!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hh. It's very... orthodox.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

OK, I didn't know if there were routes or anything like SRW.
There's a couple of games that play more like SRW, but the modern G Gen formula basically allows freeform stage selection with missions generally divided by their series with each stage generally being a recreation of an important battle from the source material with new guest units to control along with your developed party.

One thing I will say is that when you're picking missions to do, you generally want to do like Stage 1 of each series, then Stage 2, then 3 etc instead of doing all of one series stage in one go because of how the enemy power progression is like where the last mission is generally a difficulty spike. You don't have to follow that rule strictly but that's how the level progression of the game is like.

Oh yeah I believe G Gen has Permadeath for units so never ever let your units die and save the game unless you want to flush hours of grinding down the toilet.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davzz posted:

Oh yeah I believe G Gen has Permadeath for units so never ever let your units die and save the game unless you want to flush hours of grinding down the toilet.

Thanks for the info, especially this one.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You can have multiple in battle saves that are treated just like regular saves so you should be good on not dying ever. You lose the mech, but not the pilot iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Hunter Noventa posted:

Hot drat, I didn't know Nadesico, Mazinger and Vandread were on Crunchyroll, thanks for the list!

And I didn't know about HiDive, which looking at the series they carry is extremely my poo poo.

• Locked thread