Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Really late to this party, but the only reason the Monarch probably wasn't a higher level was because when he was signing up with Phantom Limb, he just wanted the most basic package to arch Venture. It's kinda the entire point of Victor Echo November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sataere posted:

Really late to this party, but the only reason the Monarch probably wasn't a higher level was because when he was signing up with Phantom Limb, he just wanted the most basic package to arch Venture. It's kinda the entire point of Victor Echo November.

The #6 with henchmen was the guild package including insurance and benefits he was buying. It wasn't his level.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The monarch was definitely a higher level before he lost the cocoon

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Mr. Nice! posted:

The #6 with henchmen was the guild package including insurance and benefits he was buying. It wasn't his level.

Why can't it be both. It seems like a "you get what you pay for" kinda thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sataere posted:

Why can't it be both. It seems like a "you get what you pay for" kinda thing.

Because that would just be silly. They didn't even have arching levels as a concept back then. He's clearly selling benefits packages. The running joke of the entire episode is that he's an accountant in spandex. He's basically acting as an insurance broker while they're out to dinner. There's no need to overcomplicate and try to backdate every concept that comes up in the show.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

What if the monarch was only solvent by banking the life insurance payouts of his henchmen?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Mr. Nice! posted:

Because that would just be silly. They didn't even have arching levels as a concept back then. He's clearly selling benefits packages. The running joke of the entire episode is that he's an accountant in spandex. He's basically acting as an insurance broker while they're out to dinner. There's no need to overcomplicate and try to backdate every concept that comes up in the show.

You are probably right, but I think with enough money, you can by your status and arching rights.

TK-42-1 posted:

What if the monarch was only solvent by banking the life insurance payouts of his henchmen?

We've been so busy talking about Hank's business savvy, we forgot all about the genius of The Mighty Monarch!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
he brought the basic arching package but his flying cocoon afforded him a higher status. when he lost the cocoon (and hundreds of henchmen with it) they demoted him back to a lower level villian

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AkumaHokoru posted:

he brought the basic arching package but his flying cocoon afforded him a higher status. when he lost the cocoon (and hundreds of henchmen with it) they demoted him back to a lower level villian

The arching benefits package from the guild has absolutely zero to do with his arching level. The #1 package probably was one that allowed for multiple arches and better insurance, but he opts for a barebones.

The jokes in the episode are standalone. They have nothing to do with a concept they invented seasons later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eh, the writers do mention they go through old episodes to look for ideas to develop, so they can build on old stuff without contradicting it, but there's probably a significant official and non-official element of buying your way into Guild status.

Given Dr Z got busted for cocaine, I get the feeling it's fairly normal for Guild members to be involved in various less glamourous crime enterprises as a way of making money, and the ones that focus purely on arching (like the Monarch and Red Death) are more likely to have trouble paying the bills, hence why both of them are in need of money.

Also, Dean's reaction to Sirena makes sense given she's the second girl ever to give him a boner. (he clearly isn't into Molotov Cocktease like Hank)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
One thing that stood out in the artbook is how positively Jackson and Doc talked about Sirena; they like writing for her, they like her as a character, and they they think her VA is great (some of their favorite Sirena lines were actually ad-libbed). It stood out in contrast to how neutral they talked about Triana and how confused they were over Kim having so many fans.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well it's weird for adults to be obsessed with a 15/16 year old girl, cartoon or not. So I can see why it put them off.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
All over one stupid joke. Where she’s like yeah I’m doing this because MtM mistakes her for a villain the way she was dressed up. The internet really likes to focus on a one note character.

Edit: I’m guilty of this cuz I like Brick Frog. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 31, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I fell way behind on the thread so didn't change the title the last two weeks but I'll do better!

Also for spoilers: if it has aired on the website only, use spoiler tags but the second it actually goes out in the you can stop using those black bars

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

axelblaze posted:

Sorry, I fell way behind on the thread so didn't change the title the last two weeks but I'll do better!

Also for spoilers: if it has aired on the website only, use spoiler tags but the second it actually goes out in the you can stop using those black bars

While it is nice to have a policy clarification, that's going to be a whole hell of a lot of black bars every friday evening through late night sunday.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mr. Nice! posted:

While it is nice to have a policy clarification, that's going to be a whole hell of a lot of black bars every friday evening through late night sunday.

So?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean yeah but that's the forum rules. Granted they were made before streaming was the thing it is now but I still think it's a good way to determine it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, Dean's reaction to Sirena makes sense given she's the second girl ever to give him a boner. (he clearly isn't into Molotov Cocktease like Hank)

this reminded me of hank's youthful infatuation with the middle aged mail lady because she was the only woman he ever saw

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think the scene where Rusty jumps through the window is interesting and maybe it explains why Venture Bros just gets less lovely fans than Rick and Morty.

If this happened in Rick and Morty it would have been portrayed as logical scienceman being badass, but in this show he’s just bad and an rear end.

Xun fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 31, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Now I just want Rick and Morty except it's Jonas and Dean

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

axelblaze posted:

Now I just want Rick and Morty except it's Jonas and Dean

This except Shoreleave and Dean.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Shindragon posted:

All over one stupid joke. Where she’s like yeah I’m doing this because MtM mistakes her for a villain the way she was dressed up. The internet really likes to focus on a one note character.

Edit: I’m guilty of this cuz I like Brick Frog. :v:

Everyone likes Brick Frog, don't be ridiculous.

E: oh poo poo episode's up!

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/the-inamorata-consequence/

oh my god return of the guild guy with the plastic dome on his head with tubes coming out of it :o!!!

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 31, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hot drat what an episode. And a major reveal that I won't divulge here.

Also, I'm guessing the shirt might be that poster of HELPeR

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Who here is surprised we got yet another casual revelation about Jonas Sr. being the worst dad of all time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Reveal? Wait, what was the...

...oh. ...oh!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
And we were just talking this past week about who invented the cloning tech. Guess we got an answer. Also Rhys Darby is always a delight to hear :allears:

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
DERMOTTTTTTT

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry, but Private Second Class?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Xun posted:

I think the scene where Rusty jumps through the window is interesting and maybe it explains why Venture Bros just gets less lovely fans than Rick and Morty.

If this happened in Rick and Morty it would have been portrayed as logical scienceman being badass, but in this show he’s just bad and an rear end.

Half of Rick and Morty's hardcore fanbase wasn't even born when Venture Bros started and the other half isn't the type to dive into [adult swim]'s deeper catalogue.

Honestly if this show started after the Marvel craze became a thing, had shorter off season periods, it might have taken off too.

e: Dermott! :dance:

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 31, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I'm so pleased we got to see Dermott and he's doing really well :allears: AND the clone thing. AND the pee pee!!!

Also liked seeing Rusty be genuinely good?? at something??

tarlibone posted:

I'm sorry, but Private Second Class?

Is that not a correct thing? I don't know dip about military poo poo, but that's an actual rank that exists, right?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

I'm so pleased we got to see Dermott and he's doing really well :allears: AND the clone thing. AND the pee pee!!!

Is that not a correct thing? I don't know dip about military poo poo, but that's an actual rank that exists, right?

I also liked seeing Rusty be good at something. As funny as it is when he ruins something, it does get old if he's just a one-note joke of a character. Seeing him figure it out and actually be useful, I mean really fulfilling a function that was needed, was a nice treat. And I do wonder what his changes to the agreement will entail.

As far as the ranking thing... I've had a lot of family in the service, and I've never heard of Private Second Class. Sounds like a joke. But, a quick query of the Internets shows that, yes, it does exist: it's E2. drat. Learn something new every day.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That ending was actually touching. Good episode.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How many ranks are there?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, the writers do mention they go through old episodes to look for ideas to develop, so they can build on old stuff without contradicting it, but there's probably a significant official and non-official element of buying your way into Guild status.

Given Dr Z got busted for cocaine, I get the feeling it's fairly normal for Guild members to be involved in various less glamourous crime enterprises as a way of making money, and the ones that focus purely on arching (like the Monarch and Red Death) are more likely to have trouble paying the bills, hence why both of them are in need of money.

Well, third. The second one he's still able to remember though.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

big dyke energy posted:

It means he has gotten a promotion already from private

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So, it was probably explained in the episode but I missed it, but what was with the jackets anyways?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Hell yeah more Canadians

Mantis42 posted:

So, it was probably explained in the episode but I missed it, but what was with the jackets anyways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MExgf6mwdU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mantis42 posted:

Likely leftover from the music video.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh, I didn't even think about that, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
As someone who stopped really having cable i really like Adult Swim just putting up new Venture Bros episodes up for free on the internet. Putting them up in advance of their airdate now is just gravy.