Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I just now realized that you can get matrilineal marriages as a merchant republic via Chinese imperial marriages. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Thrasophius posted:

Edit: How the hell do you take cities as a merchant republic? I'm now the Doge of Venice and I want the two cities that are in the county however I can't kill them to get it because I don't inherit, I can't imprison them to cause revolt because I need a reason and I can't revoke title because, again, I need a reason. Forge claim doesn't seem to be working either because it isn't firing even with a 26 chancellor.
You have to catch them becoming apostates or plotters and then fail imprisoning and crush their rebellion. Set intrigue focus and spy on them I guess?
Honestly it's way easier to take cities for yourself from outside the realm in the republic and let existing vassal cities just pay whatever the tax is.

druthers
Oct 12, 2012

Thrasophius posted:

How the hell do you take cities as a merchant republic? I'm now the Doge of Venice and I want the two cities that are in the county however I can't kill them to get it because I don't inherit, I can't imprison them to cause revolt because I need a reason and I can't revoke title because, again, I need a reason. Forge claim doesn't seem to be working either because it isn't firing even with a 26 chancellor.

You can use the intrigue focus to spy on them to get a reason to imprison, you could probably also change your religion and then revoke them as heretics, provided you have the correct law.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Ivan Shitskin posted:

What do you mean by that? Are elephants good or no? I recently started as the Bengal Kingdom in 769, and now I'm the Bengal Empire and I've been raising units of elephants. I have a little over 100 of them now but it's hard to tell if they are effective or not. I tried massing all of my elephants on one flank led personally by the emperor with his really high martial skill and they did pretty well. They defeated a numerically superior Chinese army at one point, although I baited them into crossing the Ganges into jungle terrain so I got a bonus from that. I haven't played this enough to tell if the elephants are good or not.

According to this old post the mixture for elephant retinues you want is 12 defense retinue to 1 steel bow. Not much has changed since then that I know of. Looking at the list of tactics it looks like that combo should hopefully trigger force back or elephant trample most of the time.

e:This post goes over the changes in jade dragon pretty well.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 29, 2018

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

According to this old post the mixture for elephant retinues you want is 12 defense retinue to 1 steel bow. Not much has changed since then that I know of. Looking at the list of tactics it looks like that combo should hopefully trigger force back or elephant trample most of the time.

That's some homeopathic version of elephant retinue. :cmon: It really is just a defense retinue with 1% elephants required to get some specific tactic in addition to being already good.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Pyromancer posted:

That's some homeopathic version of elephant retinue. :cmon: It really is just a defense retinue with 1% elephants required to get some specific tactic in addition to being already good.

That's what happens when they insist on pairing elephants with archers for some reason :shrug:

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

You have to catch them becoming apostates or plotters and then fail imprisoning and crush their rebellion. Set intrigue focus and spy on them I guess?
Honestly it's way easier to take cities for yourself from outside the realm in the republic and let existing vassal cities just pay whatever the tax is.

druthers posted:

You can use the intrigue focus to spy on them to get a reason to imprison, you could probably also change your religion and then revoke them as heretics, provided you have the correct law.

Gave it a try. Worked like a charm. Now the proud owner of 5 cities in Venice and a crap load of denars pouring in. Gonna get a trade post and seize Jerusalem so I'm on the silk road and can interact with China.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Sounds like tribal vassals being called to war to me.

Yeah, that sounds about right, he mentioned that Ireland and Scotland hadn't feudalized yet so Sweden probably hasn't either.

Honky Dong Country posted:

I just now realized that you can get matrilineal marriages as a merchant republic via Chinese imperial marriages. :getin:

Man, I've had pretty lovely luck with the imperial marriages so far. Every single one I've gotten so far -- with the exception of one*-- was pretty mediocre and the 1,000-troop honor guard didn't really make much of a difference. I was way better off trolling the character list for brides with known stats and spending my Grace on strategists or trade deals.

*First one I ever got was a Quick Attractive Brilliant Strategist, but then some Fatimid dickhead stuck a sword in her husband so she just spent the rest of her days as a court tutor.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right, he mentioned that Ireland and Scotland hadn't feudalized yet so Sweden probably hasn't either.

Man, I've had pretty lovely luck with the imperial marriages so far. Every single one I've gotten so far -- with the exception of one*-- was pretty mediocre and the 1,000-troop honor guard didn't really make much of a difference. I was way better off trolling the character list for brides with known stats and spending my Grace on strategists or trade deals.

*First one I ever got was a Quick Attractive Brilliant Strategist, but then some Fatimid dickhead stuck a sword in her husband so she just spent the rest of her days as a court tutor.

It's getting me more children which is pretty awesome for a merchant republic. I'm not doing it for good traits and stuff. It just lets you get around the fact that you can't matri-marry in republics. So now I've got daughters pumping out kids for my dynasty.

E: I still use marriage for alliances occasionally but I'm at the point now where I'm seizing cities and counties and there's a bunch of people I don't want an NAP with. So unless there's a good alliance available I'm marrying them to Chinese imperials lol.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 29, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ivan Shitskin posted:

So maybe it was a bad idea to go 100% elephant retinues then...

Oh well, my emperor does have the "elephant leader" trait though so he gets another big bonus with all his elephants. I am determined to one day trample the Pope with an elephant. Hopefully before that DLC comes out and messes up my savegame.

The retinue system sucks

It gives the player precisely zero guidance into what makes a good retinue and is full of trap choices the player will likely never realize because combat is mostly a zero-interaction black box that 99% of players fast-forward through

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The combat system is really complicated and obtuse, and I never really understand what's going on. It doesn't help that so many number screens are misleading.

Thrasophius posted:

Why have a wife when you can seduce the entire court and just legitimize the good heirs?

Stat bonuses, wedding presents, and nonaggression pacts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Main Paineframe posted:

The retinue system sucks

It gives the player precisely zero guidance into what makes a good retinue and is full of trap choices the player will likely never realize because combat is mostly a zero-interaction black box that 99% of players fast-forward through

This is part of why I dislike most of the systems that have been added to make combat harder, and especially the ones that magically scale to the player's income or troop count.

Making the game harder over the years isn't the problem, but stuff like "you can't win certain types of wars by taking holdings, troop battles only" or the game spawning revolt troops out of thin air are bad both for their arbitrary nature and because they force you to engage with such a badly designed system.

A game where war is just a binary check of your strength isn't great as an end point either, but it's better than what we have now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

much like gavelkind, the biggest upside of war being in the game is that it disincentivizes ever being in a war that you didn't initiate, completely control, and end as quickly as possible in the first place

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The religious orders also made Gavelkind a complete non-issue for Christians because as soon as you have you first heir you take a vow of celibacy and get free primogeniture with none of the downside or tech cost.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

The religious orders also made Gavelkind a complete non-issue for Christians because as soon as you have you first heir you take a vow of celibacy and get free primogeniture with none of the downside or tech cost.

What about spares, you fool?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

much like gavelkind, the biggest upside of war being in the game is that it disincentivizes ever being in a war that you didn't initiate, completely control, and end as quickly as possible in the first place

Sort of like real life :agesilaus:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What about spares, you fool?

It's a problem if you're a woman because if you lose your heir past childbearing age you're hosed, but if you're a dude you just un-take the vow, divorce/kill your wife, and find an attractive, lustful woman who can still bear children and slam a new marriage.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You can also deliberately cultivate cadet branches. You heirs don't have to be your kids, they can just be dynasty members!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There should be an event for monastic orders where your character shaves his head and then your wife tries to divorce you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x6GibfXbv8

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Is Sengoku any good or naw?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Armacham posted:

It was basically the public beta for CK2. It's ok, but it suffers from some really bad balance issues.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Armacham posted:

I haven't played it but everyone I've ever heard talk about it has said it's like a bare-bones skeleton prototype of Crusader Kings 2, and that there isn't much to do besides "conquer Japan." I'd skip it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Play Shogun 2 instead.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I've been loving around with nomads (who are absolutely OP once you stop creating horse archers and have hoards of 30/70 HC/LC) and after my first successful invasion decided to pull back and check out the rest of the world for pretty much the first time:

The king, queen, and their kids are all of the Karling dynasty, and also all Norse. Really curious to know how that happened. And no, they hold no territory in Scandinavia so it's not like crowns merged or anything.

The Anti-Christ is currently busy unifying Ireland, go get 'em champ.

The king of East Francia is Jewish :psyduck: He's also busy converting all his counties to Judaism, because of course.

The most :black101: queen of all time. She won a revolt, pissed everybody off doing so, and has since been crushing annual counter revolts with a vengeance.

This dude won a civil war for the Abbasid Empire and then promptly moved the capital to a one holding shithole. It's been +10 years. :shrug:

And finally we have the north eastern corner of the map, where we find the last bastion of Zoroastrianism in the world, and the Chinese Protector General who is somehow Nestorian. I legitimately do not even know how that could happen.

I love this game :allears:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sydin posted:

So I've been loving around with nomads (who are absolutely OP once you stop creating horse archers and have hoards of 30/70 HC/LC) and after my first successful invasion decided to pull back and check out the rest of the world for pretty much the first time

Heh, Arumba has been messing around with the Magyars and burned down Hungary or whoever you start at war with and got like 10k gold just turning it all into farmland again, was crazy. Then the smith made him the spear of st george with +7 personal combat ability :stonk:

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Stat bonuses, wedding presents, and nonaggression pacts.

Now that I completely forgot about, fair point.

On another note my Venice game is turning out pretty... Interesting. Some NPC managed to set up the mother of all inheritances because he has formed the HRE and he had 30 marshal so he went crazy expansionist so the current wolrd map is all France, Germany, Italy (Pope vassalised) and a third of North Africa belong to one side. Spain and a third of Africa is ummayid. The rest of Africa and the middle East are Abbasid and the Byzantines made a comeback controlling Greece, the Balkans, Anatolia and parts of Syria. Meanwhile I am just Venice.

At the moment I am wedged between absolute titans with nowhere to expand. I've assassinated 2 HR emperor's now, his 2 year old inherited and is now currently 13 with his realm still as solid as ever, no revolts.

Long story short, how do I effectively break up or severely weaken a blob?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
The good news; the Jihad for Anatolia and Greece were successful.

The bad news:

The Caliph died and his heir was secretly Orthodox - the cult leader made me declare my faith openly while I was thinking about whether or not to give it up.

Can I now usurp the Byzantine Empire (and Rome)? Maybe the Caliph was visited by a vision of Constantine in newly conquered Constantinople. I already have the Abbasid achievement so I don't mind if it all goes up in flames, but I'd like to know if it's possible before I go ahead.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Dev diary for random worlds looks so, so, so good.

We don't even have a release date yet, do we? :negative:

COME OUT NOW PLEASE

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Hot drat, CK2 Generator was one of my favorite mods and now they're basically rolling it into the base game. Minus the map generation.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

This owns. I love that you can pick exactly what gets randomized and to what extent. It's a good way to avoid the Stellaris problem of a completely procedurally-generated world that I don't have any context or connection to.

Pakled posted:

Hot drat, CK2 Generator was one of my favorite mods and now they're basically rolling it into the base game. Minus the map generation.

Once Holy Fury comes out I wonder if it would be easier for someone to pick that mod back up again-- now that the realms/cultures/religions/names randomization is taken care of in the base game, all the mod has to worry about now is the physical geography.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Holy Fury looks so drat good. It's been a while since a Paradox DLC was a day-one purchase for me, but I'm psyched for this one.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I can't wait for some weird-rear end religions.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm thinking about picking up after the end again but man Illinois is a rough start as a catholic. You're in the absolutely poo poo from day one between Vikings and Rust cultists, and you can't really pick off parts of Iowa either. Chicago is almost a guarenteed loss to the cultists as well since its one of their holy sites.

I did do the "make any County a merchant republic trick" and made Chicago into a merchant republic and that went pretty okay for a while. Maybe that's the route to go.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, speak of the devil. That's the one feature I was wondering about, and it's as cool as I thought it'd be.

I hope that they improve the start screen mapmodes, or let you poke around a bit before starting an ironman run, because the ones they have now don't show you a bunch of important things, like pre-existing relatives, cultural and religious separation between rulers and their states, and ways to find good vassals to play as.

Also they mentioned they were randomizing provinces some with how many holdings they can have? I wonder if that'll go into other aspects of provinces like terrain type. It certainly wouldn't make much sense to have horse nomads in the middle of a forest. I know that Paradox has done randomized landmasses before with EU4, but I don't know if they're much good, and it'd probably be a nightmare to balance the randomization to make good ck2 games, and having to generate a thousand or so province names sounds like a nightmare.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The truly randomized land in EU4 were kinda bad. None of them looked like real landmasses and it rarely-to-never formed actual continents, just a bunch of medium-sized blob-shaped islands. The newer Random New World system is better, instead of generating totally random landmasses, they have a bunch of pre-made landmasses that the generator sticks together, resizes, and sticks random province borders on.

CK2 Generator produces some interesting-looking truly random maps, so I know it's possible, but I'd be quite happy if they made a random world generator using the same kind of system as EU4's new RNW.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Holy Fury looks absolutely amazing. I've missed the TTG for a long time.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
The only feature I could even ask for now is a better trade route system. drat, holy fury looks good

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
god Holy Fury looks so loving dope.

I decided to start a new game in the Byzantine Empire because I haven't actually played with them since I bought Legacy of Rome. I'm just a duke, what's the absolute best way to gently caress up the ruling family's poo poo and ruin the empire.

I just want to let it all burn.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Assuming it works as well as intended, I'm not sure if I'm ever playing non random worlds. Even if I'm means I can't effectively post about random poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Which DLCs can I safely turn off if I don't want to play as (x) but do want all the portraits, events, start dates and so on for other characters?

Safe to turn off:
- Sunset invasion (always safe)
- Rajas of India (if not in / near India)
- Legacy of Rome (outside Byzantium) ?

Not safe:
- Sons of Abraham (no more Jews?)
- Old Gods
- China

Not sure:
- The Republic (I think all the good parts for Feudal rulers are in the patch?)
- Sword of Islam?

• Locked thread