Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

This conversation is so ridiculous and convoluted I can’t follow what any specific person is advocating. This is leaning into Alex Jones style talking out of both sides of your mouth babbling

I was trying to go for crazy last-minute mystery twist, but somehow I think "crazy sex games" outdid me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Aye (god you guys does this even need a vote)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

funmanguy posted:

Ill second that motion and move to a full vote

All in favor?

Wait, in favor of betting on sexual abuse or voting on finding it ghoulish?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'll second that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am deeply unnerved so the thread's doing something right.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Aye!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh ffs such posturing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Pick posted:

Oh ffs such posturing.

A...aye?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not an article or anything, but the guy in the cube next to me got a call from his wife today about 15 minutes before quiting time (we're all close enough that we can hear everyone else on the phone)

paraphrased:

"Hello honey, what's up"

"Slow down, what...WHAT"

"What do you mean gone, where'd he go"

"Oh my god, I'll uh, hold on, I need to, um I'll be right there"

(hangs up)

He procedes to say "so, plinkey, I gues you heard that, my son just died, I have to head out of here"

me: :catstare: Are you ok, do you need a ride home, are you sure you're ok to drive...etc

"I'll just power off my computer and, uh, yeah, gotta shut down my VM and make sure I save my work and stuff......"

Boss that overheard the call too: "Just leave, are you sure you don't need a ride, we'll take care of your computer, just go"

six heads popping up around the cube :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

That was loving unerving to me as poo poo for some reason, his son was 42 and it didn't sound like an ongoing illness or anything like that, he was completely in shock and didn't know what to do other than *I'll do my usualy end of the day 5 minute routine to make sure everything is saved then head home*

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Christ I didn't think that this topic would get more retarded after I wrote literal fanfiction about how akchthualy the woman was a soul sucking demon harpy so really it was her fault he killed himself but then what the gently caress even

egyptian rat race posted:

This was partly why the Everest thread was so good. A bunch of goons min/maxing firsthand accounts of professional mountaineers into a narrative about how they would totally have survived X horrible disaster. I think folks were unironically advocating piped air up to the high camps in one thread.

Was there a death toll on everest pool thread this year? I read a bunch of the 2015 thread during the earthquake and I'm wondering if the tradition continued.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
No I don't want to :toxx: on what happened. My whole premise is that there isn't enough information to go on for any one theory to be right or wrong. Until more information comes out there is no way to know what was happening.

As someone already pointed out the woman is alive and we should be able to get a reasonable report of what happened soon enough - everything until then is just conjecture.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Plinkey posted:

Not an article or anything, but the guy in the cube next to me got a call from his wife today about 15 minutes before quiting time (we're all close enough that we can hear everyone else on the phone)

paraphrased:

"Hello honey, what's up"

"Slow down, what...WHAT"

(hangs up)

He procedes to say "so, plinkey, I gues you heard that, my son just died, I have to head out of here"

me: :catstare: Are you ok, do you need a ride home, are you sure you're ok to drive...etc

"I'll just power off my computer and, uh, yeah, gotta shut down my VM and make sure I save my work and stuff......"

Boss that overheard the call too: "Just leave, are you sure you don't need a ride, we'll take care of your computer, just go"

six heads popping up around the cube :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

That was loving unerving to me as poo poo for some reason, his son was 42 and it didn't sound like an ongoing illness or anything like that, he was completely in shock and didn't know what to do other than *I'll do my usualy end of the day 5 minute routine to make sure everything is saved then head home*

thats awful, poor bloke :( hopefully he made it home before the shock wore off, or someone insisted on giving him a lift

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
In this thread, it's easiest to think of horrible things happening, due to the nature of what we typically post about.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
People fall into habits really easily when in shock.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tashilicious posted:

Was there a death toll on everest pool thread this year? I read a bunch of the 2015 thread during the earthquake and I'm wondering if the tradition continued.

Concern trolling killed the death pool. I'm not joking, it became bannable after some FYAD posters invaded and did a lot of "concerned" posts in bad faith and ended up getting any mention of the death pool killed off (like a climber at the top of Everest).

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Yeah, the boss almost had to pull him away from his computer and walked him out I assume asking him if he needed a ride...etc the whole time. Also had to remind him to get his phone and breifcase.

The thing that really got me, was I knew he was in shock about it, because he's usually a really jolly friendly guy and after he hung up with his wife was like:

*slightly chuckle* "So I guess you heard that plinkey, my son is dead" *slight chuckle*

It was his normal, 'we both got an email at the same time' and him being like *huh* you see that, what do you think *huh* talking over the cube

Like, I'm not sure how I'd react, but gently caress, that's the first time I've seen someone like that.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

Concern trolling killed the death pool. I'm not joking, it became bannable after some FYAD posters invaded and did a lot of "concerned" posts in bad faith and ended up getting any mention of the death pool killed off (like a climber at the top of Everest).

curse this dying gay earth

edit: dying like that woman who cut and pasted herself on a walk-up hill died

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tashilicious posted:

dying like that woman who cut and pasted herself on a walk-up hill died

???

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

There was a lady who wanted to climb the highest mountain in the world, and her training regime consisted entirely of photoshopping herself into pictures taken from the top of other mountains.

I never participated in any of those threads so I have no idea how I know this.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jabor posted:

There was a lady who wanted to climb the highest mountain in the world, and her training regime consisted entirely of photoshopping herself into pictures taken from the top of other mountains.

She shopped herself in a snowsuit, standing in the parking area of a walking trail of a Canadian national park.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jabor posted:

No wonder. All her previous experience was with Photoshop, but her Everest climb was GIMPed.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

She shopped herself in a snowsuit, standing in the parking area of a walking trail of a Canadian national park.

Spent a lot of money to get there, then her family spent even *more* money recovering her corpse from the top of the mountain (which is itself controversial due to how the Sherpa's view the whole "bunch of dead stupid white people on our sacred mountain" thing), then made a really goddamn cringy memorial plaque at the base camp.

It was seriously the most ridiculous loving thing.

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!
Hey now she walked around her neighborhood with a pack if I remember correctly. Real hardcore training, like the pro mountaineers. :pseudo:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

jobson groeth posted:

We don't have any information to go on so it's impossible to say one way or another.

Sure she could have been chained up and he shot himself after it was found out she was being held captive. At the same time they could have just been wasted and playing kinky games at home and she was dared to go ring on a few doorbells with no pants on before running away.

It definitely doesn't look good but with nothing much else to go on you can't really say.

I'm going to go out on a limb and take a wild stab in the dark here:

1. He restrained her and did bad things to her.

2. She escaped.

3. He killed himself rather than face the consequences of his actions.

Pretty crazy, but I just have this hunch.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The real story here is Russian interference with our doorbells.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tashilicious posted:

Spent a lot of money to get there, then her family spent even *more* money recovering her corpse from the top of the mountain (which is itself controversial due to how the Sherpa's view the whole "bunch of dead stupid white people on our sacred mountain" thing), then made a really goddamn cringy memorial plaque at the base camp.

It was seriously the most ridiculous loving thing.

I thought being dead on the top of a mountain was the end goal of every mountaineer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I have a personal unnerving story from yesterday. There's a guy that my family knows who used to try and help out with our house renovations, like redoing our ceiling and installing a new dryer (which ended up being broken too). He wasn't really good at anything but needed the extra money, and he'd bring his kids and dog over to stay with us while he worked. I wasn't fond of either kid, but I liked the German shepherd a lot so that was a plus.

He started behaving worse and worse as time went on and his money started disappearing faster. He didn't have any obvious expenses beyond the same regular living he had been doing, but his paychecks would just evaporate into nothing. We're suspecting either gambling or drugs, but can't confirm anything. Long story short, we cut off contact with him but my mom stayed in touch with his mom to keep up to date on what's happening with him; his daughter would occasionally talk to my mom until he found out and stopped her.

They ended up homeless and losing their car and the kids started staying with other relatives in the area. He showed up with his son and a new dog (they gave away the German shepherd to save money and then immediately got another one) at his mother's house, after she had previously kicked him off her property multiple times for squatting in the backyard. He took off on a walk and she assumed he had taken the kid and dog with him....until she heard the dog barking.

She walked outside and found that he had tied the dog and his son to a tree. The kid was completely bound, arms and legs stiff as a board, with the rope knotted at the back of the tree as he got bit up by mosquitoes. She called DCF to report it and they brought the police....who did nothing, and in fact threatened to arrest her when she started yelling at them for not doing anything. He refused a drug test, but because there's no obvious evidence of the occurrence and his son clammed up they're not taking any action.

The kid got sent to his grandfather and he took the dog. Last I heard, he slept outside a Circle K next to the Papa John's that his mother runs. He just keeps repeating "God will take care of us" to everyone. I have a feeling poo poo's going to get worse.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

No wonder. All her previous experience was with Photoshop, but her Everest climb was GIMPed.

:golfclap:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ cops are unbelievable trash in situations like this. So what the hell happens now because that’s legit terrifying

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Jesus Christ cops are unbelievable trash in situations like this. So what the hell happens now because that’s legit terrifying

I'm gonna assume he's going to spiral even more out of control until he does something the police actually have to take action on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

So far the police aren't doing anything because there's no solid evidence of a crime, he acts relatively normal when they're around, and his son is too intimidated or scared to say what happened. He got fired from his job and doesn't seem to have any plan beyond "God will take care of us" and trying to show up at his mom's house repeatedly to either beg to live there again or squat in her backyard. He's in his early 30s, I think.

With how unstable he is, he could do anything. He's broken into his mom's house before to use the stuff in it, so what's to say he wouldn't try a stranger's house or try to break in while she's sleeping?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/lukeobrien/status/1035531756378750978?s=19

:stonk:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Plinkey posted:

paraphrased:

"Hello honey, what's up"

"Slow down, what...WHAT"

(hangs up)

drat, that's terrible. Condolences to your coworker from an internet stranger.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This is definitely bad news, but tweeting 8000 when it was only 800 people is a pretty major screwup.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Read the article. 800 then 8000 by day two.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pick posted:

Or when half their brain is obliterated, like that one father who's son killed him and his wife. But yeah, hopefully that dude's gonna be alright, parents outliving their children is a sad thing. :smith:

also hurray, digital era lynch mobbing. this cyberpunk future sucks rear end, where's my goddamn deckers and dragons running for president

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Aug 31, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just got an update from crazy guy’s mom. His son’s backpack is on her porch. No sign of them or the dog.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I'm fairly certain that this is "feature, not bug" of twitter at this point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Just got an update from crazy guy’s mom. His son’s backpack is on her porch. No sign of them or the dog.

Ugh, I don't think I have this one in me guys. I'm hoping they just forgot the backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Edit: Wrong thread.