Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Chuu posted:

'06 forester XT here, and just started having this issue a couple of weeks ago. Right before a 600 mile drive in 95 degree weather. How much was it going to be to fix?

Zero bucks. 2017 model, 15.7k on the clock. No callback yet on the part. My three weeks off end on Sunday, so hopefully they'll call before then so I can get the loaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Oh hai. I’m Bum the Sad. Subaru Ambassador.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Hey goons, I'm shopping for a new car, and I think I've landed on getting a 2018 Impreza 2.0i Sport. Anything I should be aware of before buying?

Ended up getting this beauty instead. 2017 Legacy 2.5i Limited in Lapis Blue Pearl. :swoon: at the color. This thing is loaded and only has 4500 miles on it.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

So my 98' outback has been losing oil for a long, long time. It's really hard to tell where because the underside is one giant greaseball but I was changing the oil and couldn't help but notice the transmission looked...wetter...than it usually does. also note the wet spot on top of the exhaust. I really hope it's not the rear main seal and am open to suggestions:

also I'm pretty sure I managed to crack my exhaust bombing around on some dirt tracks the other week. it's noticeably louder and this is a new soot spot for sure:

what are the chances an exhaust shop could just weld it up real quick and have it not immediately crack again?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

what are the chances an exhaust shop could just weld it up real quick and have it not immediately crack again?

Not great. Cast iron doesn't take to it very well usually.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

was afraid of that. guess it'll just have to sound even more like a tractor for now haha.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think those headers are steel tube, unlike the cast collectors on turbo cars.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Not great. Cast iron doesn't take to it very well usually.

Yeah you need a good welder and good welder person to weld cast and even then it's a crapshoot, so not something I would look for in an exhaust shop.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Watch The Skid Factory they show you exactly how its done. Short version - a lot of pre heating

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

So my 98' outback has been losing oil for a long, long time. It's really hard to tell where because the underside is one giant greaseball but I was changing the oil and couldn't help but notice the transmission looked...wetter...than it usually does. also note the wet spot on top of the exhaust. I really hope it's not the rear main seal and am open to suggestions:

also I'm pretty sure I managed to crack my exhaust bombing around on some dirt tracks the other week. it's noticeably louder and this is a new soot spot for sure:

I'm not sure of the exact year change but my 97 had the plastic cover behind the flywheel that's part of the PCV system that cracks and leaks. I got a metal replacement from a friend and regasketed the whole engine at the same time and now it doesn't leak anything at all. 98 might have it too.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

2012 Outback: Does anybody know how to adjust the low beam's horizontal aim? I found the screw for the vertical aim, but I can't find anything for the horizontal aim. More importantly, does anybody know how the horizontal aim can get screwed up in a significant way? I did replace the bulb recently, but I am pretty sure I installed it correctly (everything seemed slush, not tilted in any way).

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

I'm not sure of the exact year change but my 97 had the plastic cover behind the flywheel that's part of the PCV system that cracks and leaks. I got a metal replacement from a friend and regasketed the whole engine at the same time and now it doesn't leak anything at all. 98 might have it too.

oh yeah I totally forgot about that stupid plastic oil separator plate. hopefully you’re right and thats all it is. still a pain in the rear end to get to though. pretty sure it’s leaking from the front drivers side cam sprocket as well (timing belt was done 50k ago). also a very, very slow power steering leak.

still runs really well and has zero rust. could be a lot worse.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Here's a blast from the past:

Saw this at the local Costco, I didn't even realize what I had parked next to until after I got out and noticed the two-piece windows. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone who owns an SVX in THIS good condition. This was loving PRISTINE, like it had just rolled off the lot, even the interior. You can even see my reflection in the photos, the finish was that good!

Like a bellend, though, I forgot to check to see if they had done the transmission swap. I didn't want to get too creepy with the photos, so I didn't take any of the interior.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 27, 2018

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

oh yeah I totally forgot about that stupid plastic oil separator plate. hopefully you’re right and thats all it is. still a pain in the rear end to get to though. pretty sure it’s leaking from the front drivers side cam sprocket as well (timing belt was done 50k ago). also a very, very slow power steering leak.

still runs really well and has zero rust. could be a lot worse.

I'd just pull the engine and do all the gaskets if it's rust free and runs good. Cam sprocket is a pain in the dick though since they are tightened to approximately 45324864 pound feet of torque on a 10mm Allen head bolt.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Saw this at the local Costco, I didn't even realize what I had parked next to until after I got out and noticed the two-piece windows. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone who owns an SVX in THIS good condition. This was loving PRISTINE, like it had just rolled off the lot, even the interior. You can even see my reflection in the photos, the finish was that good!

Like a bellend, though, I forgot to check to see if they had done the transmission swap. I didn't want to get too creepy with the photos, so I didn't take any of the interior.

I almost bought one of these a few years ago for a couple thousand. Probably would not have been worth it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I keep seeing one that needs a transmission around here for like $900.

Annoying thing about doing a MT swap is that because there was never a manual option there's no provision for the rear shifter stay on the chassis and the shifter linkages from other cars need to be cut and extended to put the shifter in the right place. At the same time the shifters on these aren't super complicated so it wouldn't be too hard to get something that works.

I feel like I would also want to figure out how to put standard impreza front uprights and control arms on one to make all the suspension/brake stuff easier to deal with.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
All the same, I would kind of think it'd be worth it. 3.3L H6 with 230 HP? Who knows what you could get out of that engine, if only Subaru hadn't muzzled it with an 4-speed automatic.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Looks like Subaru is going to settle a class action lawsuit for 2012-17 wrx and STIs due to EJ wimpy parts.

carcomplaints.com posted:

The crux of the class-action is the argument that premature engine connecting rod and main bearing failures cause the engines to fail prematurely.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/subaru-impreza-wrx-engine-lawsuit.shtml

Nbd, turns out they probably knew they were prone to failure.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Surprising that doesn't cover the ones before that. Fucks sake!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

PabloBOOM posted:

Looks like Subaru is going to settle a class action lawsuit for 2012-17 wrx and STIs due to EJ wimpy parts.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/subaru-impreza-wrx-engine-lawsuit.shtml

Nbd, turns out they probably knew they were prone to failure.

Everyone who has owned a WRX or STI since 2002 knew they were prone to failure.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

quote:

Subaru has agreed to cover repairs to correct the alleged defect during an extended warranty period of 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Modifications that will cause exclusions include changes made to the engine control units and any "piggyback" devices created to intercept and alter engine control unit signals.

Welp, looks like I'm not modding my car for another 3-4 years.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

that's amazing, I love the SVX. you have to find the owner now.

I'd just pull the engine and do all the gaskets if it's rust free and runs good. Cam sprocket is a pain in the dick though since they are tightened to approximately 45324864 pound feet of torque on a 10mm Allen head bolt.

yeah that's the thing, I don't have the tools or space to pull an engine unfortunately, it'll have to be done by a shop. spending that much on labor for an oil leak sucks. it will get fixed, just maybe not today.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

yeah that's the thing, I don't have the tools or space to pull an engine unfortunately, it'll have to be done by a shop. spending that much on labor for an oil leak sucks. it will get fixed, just maybe not today.

Oh yea I see. Well the labor for the plastic cover and rear main seal would be the same, just get a metal replacement cover and have them put that in.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

daslog posted:

Everyone who has owned a WRX or STI since 2002 knew they were prone to failure.

Yeah, but now they'll warranty some of the flimsy parts! Everyone knew so many of their engines consumed ridiculous amounts of oil, too. But nothing changed until the class action made them admit and fix at least some of them.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Oh yea I see. Well the labor for the plastic cover and rear main seal would be the same, just get a metal replacement cover and have them put that in.

oh absolutely, gently caress plastic. realistically though the original one did manage to last 240k miles/20 years so I can't get too upset.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The dealer did my axle seal replacement today. Hopefully even with the non-oem shaft it doesn’t leak anymore. Burning gear oil is so much worse than regular oil.
They also charged me less than the quoted price, $175 instead of $205. Even washed the car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
'83 GL-10 Turbo review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoxpcJWjANg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

High school first car material right there in the 90's, the student lot was littered with rusting out subarus.

Goddamn they look nice when clean.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a 2018 Crosstrek, about 2 months old. Android auto had been working fine, until today, where it absoltly refused to connect. The phone was getting power, but not connecting. I finally factory reset the head unit and it connected quickly after that.

Is there some setting somewhere that could have prevented the connection, or was it just some glitch? How can I check to see if the head unit is updated to the newest firmware? How is it updated? OTA? USB?

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 29, 2018

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Also, my MIL loved our Crosstrek so much she traded in her leased Dodge Durango for a Crosstrek lease

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Auto down and up windows? Incredible. Modern Subarus are really missing large orange buttons.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Jamal do you sell Haltech parts?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Jamal do you sell Haltech parts?

Yes, looks like distributor has a good variety of it in stock too.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I'm considering buying a 2005 9-2x/WRX and went to go take a look at it today. I loved driving it, and am considering buying it. Hopefully selling my base model 2010 Impreza for nearly the same value

I did get under the car in order to check for evidence of oil leaks, and there's a bit of oily grime on and around the oil pan. There doesn't appear to be any other evidence of oil elsewhere from what I could tell.

The current owner doesn't know anything about it, says there hasn't been any engine issues in the 3 years he's had it, (he seems trustworthy), but should this be a major red flag?.

Also, from looking at the service history, the AC belt failed at some point in the past year and the carnage caused the timing belt to jump 3 teeth. The shop replaced the timing belt, pulleys, and water pump. Should this be a red flag, or is this a case of the engine either surviving the incident or dying a painful death, with nothing in between?

Thanks thread!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The AC belt failing should in no way impact the timing on the car unless a pully completely fragged and took out the timing cover.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The a.c. belt tensioner is right in front of the timing belt cover, maybe that let go and smashed into it. Oil leaks aren't a huge deal as long as it isn't pooling on the ground or dripping onto the exhaust causing annoying smoke or fire. I don't think I've seen a turbo Subaru with some miles on it that didn't seep oil.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I'll get him to send me a photo of the work ticket to double check, but my interpretation of reading it was that the AC belt did in fact cause the belt to skip. Somehow.

Here's the list of the mods to the car (none by the current owner, who like me isn't much of a car guy, but all done by well-known local shops ), anything here strike anyone as being a big concern? The mods are not a reason I'm interested in the car, as long as it isn't a liability.
-Epic Springs, Koni Shocks, Whiteline swaybars and end links
-TurboXS SS non-cat uppipe, Stromung divorced downpipe, mid-pipe & axleback sections are 3" SS SPT OEM.
-Accessport v1 running stage 2 ACN91
-Ixiz short throw shifter, Ixiz clutch stop
-JDM STI gauge cluster. There are photos that show the mileage readings when the old one came off and the new one went on, in theory no funny business with the odometer.

Obviously it's probably been driven hard, but for the asking price I'm not expecting a completely stock car driven by only an old lady 5,000km/yr.

edit:

Kreez fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 31, 2018

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
TENTIONER

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm a bit surprised that you can skip three teeth and not bend valves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

daslog posted:

I'm a bit surprised that you can skip three teeth and not bend valves.

I think that's literally the max amount. I forget where I read it, maybe even in the service manual. It's also possible to have valves hit ever so slightly and still run ok but later the head breaks off after hitting the valve seat crooked and snapping the stem 10k miles later or whatever.