Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Stone Ocean is my third favorite part and Joylene and Weather are GOAT jojo characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Szmitten posted:

And bail on a potential lesbian relationship by genderswapping them after introducing them.

don't forget that was editorial mandate. JUMP's fault, like most things that go badly

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

it still owns because it's a predominantly female main cast where like no one is white with close women relationships

I was going to say I think FF might be the only white cast member then I remembered that they're a colony of plankton masquerading as that body

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

it still owns because it's a predominantly female main cast where like no one is white with close women relationships

It's a stretch to say Stone Ocean is predominantly non-white when it's got two characters who are consistently not white when protrayed in colour and two half Japanese characters.

Compared to the likes of DiU or Jojolion, it's white as driven snow

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember that time Jolyne brutally murdered her lawyer

That owned

Jolyne rules

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Compared to the likes of DiU or Jojolion, it's white as driven snow
Well duh dude, it takes place in Florida and not Japan. That's like saying theres more sand at the desert than at the beach.

Jotaro and Jolyne are Asian Americans
Weather and Pucci are biracial (it's a huge plot point that weather is lightskinned but still technically black and like, that happens irl man, Weather is still black)
Hermes is implied to be Latinx or Hispanic
F.F. is F.F

Anasui and Emporio are the only true vanilla we got

And for a battle manga, that's rad

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 29, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
For how left field the KKK and They're Brothers subplot is, its very much intentional that Weathers white privilege afforded by his lightskin and passing in white society isnt enough to save him from horrible, violent hate crimes.

Whether you think its pulled off well or tastefully however is different tho

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remember that time Jolyne brutally murdered [Insert pretty much anyone she brutally murders]

That owned

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Weather and Pucci are biracial (it's a huge plot point that weather is lightskinned but still technically black and like, that happens irl man, Weather is still black)

wasn't it that weather's adopted father was black? the entire thing of weather's backstory was that no one but pucci and weather's adopted mother knew about his true origins

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
nah, he was born into the Pucci family as like Domenico, but a woman who's child died during birth steals him from the maternity ward and raises him as Wes Bluemarine, I don't think we ever see a Mr. Bluemarine

then it just starts snowballing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

then it just starts snowballing

that's disgusting

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
IIRC it goes something like this

Weather, Pucci and their sister are born
Weather is kidnapped and raised as Wes
Weather unknowingly gets romantically involved with his sister
Pucci hears a confession by Wes's mom about the kidnapping and realizes that Wes is his brother
Pucci hires a detective to break them up instead of just telling them
The detective does some digging and finds out that Wes's mother's husband was black and calles the KKK
They lynch Wes but he survives
Sister kills herself before he revives

I specifically remember the KKK being called because Wes's adopted dad was black, which was very strange since the KKK detective was hired by a black guy

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 29, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

here what the gently caress was up with Divolo's ma under the shed floor? Did he kill her or something ? I feel like I must have skipped a chapter

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

EmmyOk posted:

here what the gently caress was up with Divolo's ma under the shed floor? Did he kill her or something ? I feel like I must have skipped a chapter

He probably put her in the floor, but like everything else involving Diavolo's backstory, the situation is murky and seemingly told by a drunk person with a poor grasp of language.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

He probably put her in the floor, but like everything else involving Diavolo's backstory, the situation is murky and seemingly told by a drunk person with a poor grasp of language.

I just realised King Crimson was active while reading the chapters, Araki did it again!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Expect My Mom posted:

Whether you think its pulled off well or tastefully however is different tho

I've always been of two minds about this because while it is kinda tasteless to have a plot point like this, it's still easily the best "racism is bad" story I've seen in a series like this. It's the world's lowest bar, but as a light skinned bi racial guy (I've always wanted to try cosplaying Weather) I can appreciate that Araki at least loving tried to make it not poo poo.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I was under the impression that Pucci was dark-skinned Italian, not black. It was his adopted father that was black, and the KKK didn’t seem to care about him.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Everything regarding Diavolo's backstory can best be answered with looking at how it is presented to us as the inverse of Dio's.

Dio's backstory is shown to us in great detail, we get to see everything that he does, and his ultimate goal is to rule the world while being able to stop time almost indefinitely so that he can live alone in his world as the one in complete control.

We see next to nothing of Diavolo's backstory and he does everything within his power to destroy remnants of his past and skew anything that could even possibly hint that he exists. He ideally would live in a world where he is also in control but that the world doesn't even necessarily know he exists, just that he is the unknown puppet master behind everything, and that anyone that even dares to try and challenge that will be erased. While Dio's world is one that belongs to Dio and Dio alone, Diavolo's world is one where Diavolo doesn't even exist.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Pucci and Weather are Italian. Pucci has an olive skin tone while Weather has a lighter one.

Weather's "adoptive" mother dated a black man around the time he was born. The KKK incorrectly assumed this meant that Weather was biracial, and lynched him because of the one-drop rule.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Gruckles posted:

Pucci and Weather are Italian. Pucci has an olive skin tone while Weather has a lighter one.

Weather's "adoptive" mother dated a black man around the time he was born. The KKK incorrectly assumed this meant that Weather was biracial, and lynched him because of the one-drop rule.

Yeah, I checked the pages in question and this is pretty unambiguously how it went

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm not certain Araki ever decided on what the Pucci family is.

The fact that every art of Enrico in color has him straight-up black is not helping.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah I really don't get how anyone can see Pucci and come to the conclusion that he isn't black

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I've seen some italians with super dark skin before, but those are usually people who either A.) work outside in the sun all the time or B.) have Hemochromatosis.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I mean the Pucci family could just be the darkest Sicilians ever.

They're always the option that Weather and Enrico's father/mother divorced and married someone else and that's why Perla is snow white, but again I'm not sure Araki thought about it all that much.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't read parts 5 or 6 but going from the 4 parts of the anime so far to part 7 of the manga I've noticed that most of the stands there work by altering the body of the stand user in some way. Was that a new development for part 7 or was it something that had gradually become more common in the series?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in short, stands in parts 7 and 8 have a different kind of 'feel' to them. mostly in steel ball run, though. a lot of the ways people get stands are slightly different and there's a lot of attention paid to areas of power and/or objects of power that make them that way. outright punch stands aren't as common, but once you start trending towards part 8 there's more humanoid stands even if they themselves don't directly fight people all that often. araki definitely starts playing with the concept of stands more and it's cool.

parts 5 and 6 kind of carry on from 3 and 4 in how stands are handled, it's mainly a 7 and 8 thing

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Honestly, I thinking part 3 has the most non-humanoid stands until part 7. Strength, the Emperor, Justice, Anubis, Bast, and so on.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pomplamoose posted:

I haven't read parts 5 or 6 but going from the 4 parts of the anime so far to part 7 of the manga I've noticed that most of the stands there work by altering the body of the stand user in some way. Was that a new development for part 7 or was it something that had gradually become more common in the series?

I don't know about altering the users body specifically, but the part 7 stands are in general far less physical than before.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Keep in mind that this is what Araki drawing a black person looks like during and after stone ocean

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

https://youtu.be/rW4n08b4P3U

New promo

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sexxxooo Pistols!

I can't wait to see those little guys animated more, kicking around bullets.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomplamoose posted:

That's terrible. At least he didn't steal this.

Or the interactive version of the chart.

https://xibanya.neocities.org/arakichart.html

wanna see where fourteen lies on this chart

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
pocoloco winning is the best joke in sbr

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
also that hey ya never actually had any power, it was just giving him confidence

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Excuse me the cow head surfboard

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Excuse me the cow head surfboard

All luck

He had the confidence to do it because Hey Ya told him he'd be fine

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I am irrationally annoyed every time someone draws a young Giorno and he isn't sporting a black bowl haircut

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
For the english translation Sex Pistols has been renamed gently caress Bullets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

For the english translation Sex Pistols has been renamed gently caress Bullets

Coitus Cartridge