Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

There was a big report about how this place is a giant money laundering operation that bought off all the local officials so ; lmao

Did you know that thanks to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, gambling losses are now fully deductible? Sounds like a great opportunity for money laundering and tax evasion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea you're gonna have to elaborate more on this.

I started and finished school early, then I went to law school. Law school doesn't work in Russia like it works in the US because there is no college in its US meaning.

After high school, a teenager goes either to college to learn a trade (these people, with the exception of hairdressers, are almost considered second-sort, due to educational inflation), or to university for a bachelor's degree.

Law degree is a bachelor's degree like a million other bachelor's degrees. I finished mine at 19, but then I was fart-loving around for a few years getting more degrees (the jury's still out whether said fart-loving was for better or for worse for me in the long run)

I just use "law school" as a shorthand because this thread is 99% US and otherwise it's even harder to explain away than not having to pass the bar nor have any kind of licensing before starting to practise.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That rules and is the way things should be if law school in the USA wasn't solely about making colleges shitloads of money

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is also one of the two major reasons why you shouldn't be taken aback if you ever work with a Russian law firm and see that half+ their partners are in their early 30s
That's exactly how it should be, do not be alarmed

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

That rules and is the way things should be if law school in the USA wasn't solely about making colleges shitloads of money

pouring one out for northwestern's "accelerated" 2-year j.d. program that cost the same as a traditional 3-year program

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 1, 2018

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Soothing Vapors posted:

christ am I the oldest non-Phil person in this thread? i assumed reeses at least was older than I am

No.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

therobit posted:

Kappa Sushi. And yes the little shinkansen is the best.

drat we got a lot of WESTPAC up in here.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I think I might be the youngest here at 24

24 twins! :hfive:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I was going to say that Slyfrog is probably on the older end of the thread.

Still, early-to-mid-30s feels like the majority of us.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’m mostly older than everyone who has posted. But younger than you think.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
I wasn't gonna say it.

ActusRhesus posted:

Dude. I wasn’t even in law school yet. How loving old do you think I am?

Nice try. Wikipedia says you were born November 11, 1962.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm also gonna start telling everyone I'm 40.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm also gonna start telling everyone I'm 40.

Protected class, bitches.

If you have kids, I probably assume you are 10 years older than you are.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Wow. You are all so loving dumb and non observant for lawyers.

Joat mon is possibly in his late 60s.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Wow. You are all so loving dumb and non observant for lawyers.

Joat mon is possibly in his late 60s.

I always thought 50s.

I just want to point out that I saw this thread has 73 new posts and I was deeply disappointed that this wasn't the emails.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Wow. You are all so loving dumb and non observant for lawyers

What fancy lawyers are you hanging out with?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
joat mon is an old??? how did I miss this

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

joat mon is an old??? how did I miss this
-a dumb and an non-observant lawyer

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ActusRhesus posted:

drat we got a lot of WESTPAC up in here.

No military experience but I did live up in Akita prefecture for 2 years and Kappa Sushi was the spot for cheap flash-frozen raw fish.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

nm posted:

-a dumb and an non-observant lawyer

Wow sv is dumb??? Hot scoop there Jimmy olsen
You dont count, you are ageless, like a lich

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 1, 2018

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I am the old. My youngest child is 24.

Also, spiders are cool.

This brown recluse reminds me of young Phil's old AV.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

See, he's so old he isn't even scared of spiders any longer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

See, he's so old he isn't even scared of spiders any longer.

My mom isn't even scared of spiders.
She's an entomologist and probably older than phil

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

I started and finished school early, then I went to law school. Law school doesn't work in Russia like it works in the US because there is no college in its US meaning.

After high school, a teenager goes either to college to learn a trade (these people, with the exception of hairdressers, are almost considered second-sort, due to educational inflation), or to university for a bachelor's degree.

Law degree is a bachelor's degree like a million other bachelor's degrees. I finished mine at 19, but then I was fart-loving around for a few years getting more degrees (the jury's still out whether said fart-loving was for better or for worse for me in the long run)

I just use "law school" as a shorthand because this thread is 99% US and otherwise it's even harder to explain away than not having to pass the bar nor have any kind of licensing before starting to practise.

Having worked with some russian psychologists and teachers I got the impressions that the education system itself is pretty intensive. Still, that's really quite early to be finished with a law degree. I finished high school at 19 and law school to "advocate" is 7 years (soon to be 8,5). Not including delays caused by passing the biannual bar and court appearances.

Did you find swedish education simpler or harder or just merely different to what you get in russia?

joat mon posted:

I am the old. My youngest child is 24.

Also, spiders are cool.

Jesus. Are you sure you're allowed a computer? Those things have viruses you know.

In fact, spiders are both cool and good.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
In before someone whines about trigger warnings and possible arachnophobics

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Wait. We don’t have anyone that pathetic. Carry on.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Alexeythegreat posted:

That’s pretty cool. There’s no reason you should need a bachelors before going to law school in America other than schools wanting more money

So you finished highschool at 14/15? How old were you when you started and how many years is that? Finishing high school at 15 in America is some of that “genius level child that has been deprived of a social life” poo poo

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Same :smith:

Then we got plucky young scraps at 29. Yuns would have to be in his 40s at least and maybe even in his 50s SV, so you're number 3 I believe.
I'm 47. Not sure if that makes me the oldest law goon (edit: other than joat mon.)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 1, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

There is no possibility that joat mon is not the oldest. Although the oldest person to ever post in a lawyer thread may be zwabu, who did his residency during the first Gulf war.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

EwokEntourage posted:

That’s pretty cool. There’s no reason you should need a bachelors before going to law school in America other than schools wanting more money

So you finished highschool at 14/15? How old were you when you started and how many years is that? Finishing high school at 15 in America is some of that “genius level child that has been deprived of a social life” poo poo

Can confirm based on knowing college sophomores who were 17.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

EwokEntourage posted:

HDD finished undergraduate at 15 and hopes there's still a Congress to be elected to when he becomes eligible in 2024.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

please trigger warning those photographs grandpa, there might be arachnophobics itt

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

HDD finished undergraduate at 15 and hopes there's still a Congress to be elected to when he becomes eligible in 2024.

This is a dang lie! I would never run for Congress.

Also I'm almost eligible to be president.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There used to be an O5 JAG goon back in the 2010 timeframe. He'd be one of the oldest lawgoons if he still posted. Maybe he does and I just can't remember the username.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dudes, I'm 120.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

There is no possibility that joat mon is not the oldest. Although the oldest person to ever post in a lawyer thread may be zwabu, who did his residency during the first Gulf war.

Speaking of old, someone in the "Eras of SA" thread in GBS was wondering if there were any Hot Dog Days or Dr Video Games still around. Pretty sure you're the only one.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

I finished high school a couple of weeks after turning 15. The normal age is 17 - 18. Genius - no, deprived of social life - yes. It sucked

Nice piece of fish posted:

Did you find swedish education simpler or harder or just merely different to what you get in russia?

It was easier for me in Sweden, but I'm not sure how much of it is that I had only learned to properly study by then

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

nm posted:

Dudes, I'm 120.

I'm 420

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hoshi posted:

I'm 420

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

please trigger warning those photographs grandpa, there might be arachnophobics itt

You're going to make this cute little baby cry with your mean words

Can't you see the tears welling up in his eyes?

I guess if we can't have pictures of spiders I'm still set up to take pictures of arachnophobes' genitalia.

Mr. Nice! posted:

There used to be an O5 JAG goon back in the 2010 timeframe. He'd be one of the oldest lawgoons if he still posted. Maybe he does and I just can't remember the username.

Defleshed.