Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't want to tempt fate or anything, but I'm 11 hours into Dark Souls 2: SOTS and it's... too easy? Admittedly I'm coming into it after Demon's Souls, DS1 and Bloodborne but I'm taking out practically every boss on my first attempt which doesn't feel right at all. I haven't even died that much.

I'm so sorry to have to be the one to tell you this.

You.... you got gud. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Relative to Bloodborne especially, DS2 is not that tough, and a lot of the bosses are pretty impotent.

The DLC is a little tougher.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

The whole point of a knight is that they're better for defending something rather than launching into battle. if you wanna use a knight the latter way (from Awakening onwards) just pair a knight up with a cavalier, have the cavalier thrust into battle, and either split apart, or switch to the knight for your next move

Can't really do that in Shadows of Valentia though :v:

I did! I beat the game, got a ways deep into the Carnage Dimension and then shelved it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Honestly all the Souls games lose a whole lot of difficulty on subsequent playthroughs, you know where weapons and items are now, you know what you like the feel of, you know what corner this or that rear end in a top hat is waiting around, you know this boss will blender you and this one's a joke, a bunch of the challenge has always been constantly encountering new things in those games, at least for me. Like as good as it is, the first game nowadays is babytown frolics because I've got such a clear mental map of the whole shebang.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Aug 30, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't want to tempt fate or anything, but I'm 11 hours into Dark Souls 2: SOTS and it's... too easy? Admittedly I'm coming into it after Demon's Souls, DS1 and Bloodborne but I'm taking out practically every boss on my first attempt which doesn't feel right at all. I haven't even died that much.

DS2 is pretty easy

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Yes, it is very easy.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

The majority of bosses are slow and heavily telegraphed so if you're not getting hosed over by adp and grew a modicum of patience from the other games very little will kill you aside from stupid poo poo out of nowhere you could never predict the first time fighting.

I'm playing PoEternity Deadfire and it seems like Berath brought the watcher back...wrong. They sound so much more stupid compared to the first game ("I'll gloriously put a sword in your face") and there's a brevity to most choices that makes it difficult to maintain any sort of character. Like meeting Serafen you have the option of effectively going hey hotstuff or lol girls/guys say you're cute because they pity you you furby freak. Not really a whole lot to work with. I'm also noticing a lot of weird lore insertions like "Hel" with one l (if this was in the first I never noticed), like they had a writer on the team who was incapable of writing outside their Americanized bubble and for a fictional setting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Perfect Potato posted:

The majority of bosses are slow and heavily telegraphed so if you're not getting hosed over by adp and grew a modicum of patience from the other games very little will kill you aside from stupid poo poo out of nowhere you could never predict the first time fighting.

I'm playing PoEternity Deadfire and it seems like Berath brought the watcher back...wrong. They sound so much more stupid compared to the first game ("I'll gloriously put a sword in your face") and there's a brevity to most choices that makes it difficult to maintain any sort of character. Like meeting Serafen you have the option of effectively going hey hotstuff or lol girls/guys say you're cute because they pity you you furby freak. Not really a whole lot to work with. I'm also noticing a lot of weird lore insertions like "Hel" with one l (if this was in the first I never noticed), like they had a writer on the team who was incapable of writing outside their Americanized bubble and for a fictional setting.

On the Hel thing, maybe they are going for a Norse connection? Hel, the half-dead (beautiful woman from waist up, rotting corpse from waist down iirc) daughter of Loki, banished to a part of the underworld where she eats the souls of those that died dishonorably?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I thought that was the klingons

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've been tearing through the various isometric RPGs recently, trying to find a decent one to play. To that end, I returned to Wasteland 2, because I remember having a pretty good time with it a few years ago. The thread that used to be in Games appears to be gone, and all of the wonderful advice in the OP that demystified character creation along with it. I spent 2 hours tabbing back and forth between a page on reddit, a steam guide, and the game. I finally got pissed off and uninstalled it. Nobody, it seems, is capable of writing a guide in plain loving english. Instead they dive straight into the granular math that drives the systems and my eyes cross because the "guide for beginners" instantly loses me. I'm looking for the remedial version and all that I can find is the advanced stuff.

So that's my complaint: RPGs that have completely insane character creation rules using some dumbass proprietary system instead of something easy to understand. It's something Pillars of Eternity actually got right. The stats in that game are well explained, and it's not just a wall of numbers thrown at you that you're expected to parse.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

So that's my complaint: RPGs that have completely insane character creation rules using some dumbass proprietary system instead of something easy to understand. It's something Pillars of Eternity actually got right. The stats in that game are well explained, and it's not just a wall of numbers thrown at you that you're expected to parse.

NWN2 is the king of this poo poo, considering how awful 3.5 ed is for character making. The amount of ways you can completely gently caress up a character and make them a useless git to be carried by Khelgar and crew is almost commendable in its breadth.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Or you can be a druid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DoubleNegative posted:

I've been tearing through the various isometric RPGs recently, trying to find a decent one to play. To that end, I returned to Wasteland 2, because I remember having a pretty good time with it a few years ago. The thread that used to be in Games appears to be gone, and all of the wonderful advice in the OP that demystified character creation along with it. I spent 2 hours tabbing back and forth between a page on reddit, a steam guide, and the game. I finally got pissed off and uninstalled it. Nobody, it seems, is capable of writing a guide in plain loving english. Instead they dive straight into the granular math that drives the systems and my eyes cross because the "guide for beginners" instantly loses me. I'm looking for the remedial version and all that I can find is the advanced stuff.

W2 got waaaay too high on huffing its own farts about how old-school it was, which led to it being pretty impenetrable. It doesn’t help that the color scheme meant the game looked like used toilet paper.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

DoubleNegative posted:

Torchlight (mostly 2 with a mod to play Vanquisher from Torchlight 1 as a class), The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, and Victor Vran are the only ones I still play. I can't go back to the Infiniti Engine games no matter how hard I try.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

I think SOFS is easier then regular DS2. What really made Dark Souls 2 vanilla hard for me was how almost every boss was resistant to anything but bludgeoning weapons like clubs/maces. SOFS seemed to fix that.

CitizenKain has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Aug 30, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finally got around to playing the Resident Evil remake and can't stand the tank controls and the fixed camera any more. I used to be kick rear end at that loving game back in the day but now find it too frustrating to aim. Always hated the door opening animation too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Finally got around to playing the Resident Evil remake and can't stand the tank controls and the fixed camera any more. I used to be kick rear end at that loving game back in the day but now find it too frustrating to aim. Always hated the door opening animation too.

If you're on PC there's a mod to remove the door animations, I think it's on pcgamingwiki. Also you can enable alternate controls although it does make dodging zombies trivially easy.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Convex posted:

If you're on PC there's a mod to remove the door animations, I think it's on pcgamingwiki. Also you can enable alternate controls although it does make dodging zombies trivially easy.

I got a friend that’s a huge RE fanboy and he told me in the REmake, internally they tested a version of the game and removed all loading zone door animations, and it hosed up the pacing of the game, made it way shorter and faster, which is completely antithetical to the mood a clunky horror game is trying to develop. But whatever it’s probably fine, to me they’re just some old games whereas for my buddy they’re sacred texts from on high.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I started playing Diablo 3 again and something dragging the game down for me is just how few active skills you can have.

You get a grand total of 6 ability slots that you can't change in combat. This is effectively 4 skills since one will be a basic attack that generates your class's resource for spells/abilities and you want one movement/escape skill so you're not walking everywhere like some chump.

Then you throw in abilities that have cool downs, ranging anywhere from 10 seconds to 120 seconds long, it can feel like a game of holding down mouse 1 to generate enough mana or a cooldown to finish before you actually feel like you're doing stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Make sure you go into options and turn on elective mode so you can at least set up your skill loadout however you want. It varies depending on your build but I think most classes have ways of playing that don't require resource builders to function.

That said I do think the game could've used a universal movement skill button (shame PC doesn't get the free dodge roll like console) or some kind of better movement system. And the big cooldown abilities just don't fit the pace of the game - unsurprisingly every build designed around one is very much focused on cutting as much cooldown from them as possible, hopefully making them permanent (which of course you can't automate outside of a keybind bug).

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Aug 31, 2018

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Here's some remedial learning

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

DoubleNegative posted:

RPGs that have completely insane character creation rules using some dumbass proprietary system instead of something easy to understand. It's something Pillars of Eternity actually got right. The stats in that game are well explained, and it's not just a wall of numbers thrown at you that you're expected to parse.

I'm loving MHW because its completely insane stat system is almost entirely ignorable for a long time.

Also Path of Exile has some excellent counter-intuitive builds based on dropping a couple stats to zero and allowing you to focus on everything else. Like the Melee-Strength build standby "never crit, never miss" or the slightly less widely used "never dodge, never stagger."

As for things dragging poo poo down, Monster Hunter World's limited bounties system is kinda annoying. It'd be nice if they had some sort of "hey uh are you sure you don't want any active bounties" warning because you have to do that manually and I've been missing out on those rewards for like half the story missions.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Savestate edit one or two of the 8 different lockpicking skills to max, and maybe boost Perception so you're not always loving tripping on mines.
The points you save from that means you can put them into playing the game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh for gently caress sake I've been playing Shenmue for days and I only just realized you don't just face things and press the action button, you have to look at stuff for detailed interactions

time to feed a cat, bitches

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Olaf The Stout posted:

I got a friend that’s a huge RE fanboy and he told me in the REmake, internally they tested a version of the game and removed all loading zone door animations, and it hosed up the pacing of the game, made it way shorter and faster, which is completely antithetical to the mood a clunky horror game is trying to develop. But whatever it’s probably fine, to me they’re just some old games whereas for my buddy they’re sacred texts from on high.

Played the REmake on Gamecube, it reminded me that I'd never enjoyed the first game much and it was the sequel that got me hooked on the series. Also, gently caress the addition of Crimson Heads. Inventory space is limited enough without adding the need to carry kerosine and a lighter to stop regular zombies respawning as powered-up speed zombies.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
La-Mulana 2 needs about 50% less trapdoor tiles and at least 75% less bats, thanks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I hate when games have an "injured" section where all of a sudden your character is wounded in some story way and you have to walk through an area slowly, with the character stumbling around. It always seems like it goes on for way too long and is especially annoying if you're ever replaying a game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That part in Nier Automata both sucks and owns as hard as possible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

On a related note, I started playing Destiny 2 as it was added to PS+ and I really don't understand why the game doesn't give you an option to skip the opening mission and just start you at the Farm if you're starting a second character. You don't earn any loot or XP while doing it so there really isn't a compelling reason to sit through it again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That violin with chorus piece belonged in a better game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

muscles like this! posted:

On a related note, I started playing Destiny 2 as it was added to PS+ and I really don't understand why the game doesn't give you an option to skip the opening mission and just start you at the Farm if you're starting a second character. You don't earn any loot or XP while doing it so there really isn't a compelling reason to sit through it again.

Because they have an important story with big deal emotions to tell and also metal gear solid 5 did it goddammit why can't they

Oh

Oh right because the game sucks

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I managed to get a couple areas into La Mulana 1, but I can't deal with the number of times I figured out what I'm supposed to do, but then get bumped by enemies and thrown into another room or down a pit by knockback. I like the challenging puzzles and old-school style combat, but I just started getting irritated by how much it felt like it was wasting my time.

I'll probably go back in a couple days, but I needed a break from its bullshit.

Necrothatcher posted:

Dark Souls 2 is pretty easy if you're familiar with the series, but the DLC areas and late-game optional bosses can get pretty intense. I've beaten the base game multiple times but I usually run out of steam against those.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hate when games have an "injured" section where all of a sudden your character is wounded in some story way and you have to walk through an area slowly, with the character stumbling around. It always seems like it goes on for way too long and is especially annoying if you're ever replaying a game.

That reminds me of the part at the very beginning of Evil Within where his leg got scratched and he limps through a chase scene (which you can totally lose and die in, by the way), and then he takes a ride in an elevator and he forgets the limp entirely by the time the doors open. After that injuries basically never come up.

He didn't even take a healing item to deal with it; he just forgets that he got hurt. I suppose that's a subtle way of showing the viewer they aren't in the real world anymore.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

That reminds me of the part at the very beginning of Evil Within where his leg got scratched and he limps through a chase scene (which you can totally lose and die in, by the way), and then he takes a ride in an elevator and he forgets the limp entirely by the time the doors open. After that injuries basically never come up.

He didn't even take a healing item to deal with it; he just forgets that he got hurt. I suppose that's a subtle way of showing the viewer they aren't in the real world anymore.

Isn't that because he's been put into STEM so isn't in his actual body any more?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Evil Within's plot is pretty bad for the most part. It isn't hard at all to find inconsistencies allover the place in that game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Twitch posted:

Dark Souls 2 is pretty easy if you're familiar with the series, but the DLC areas and late-game optional bosses can get pretty intense. I've beaten the base game multiple times but I usually run out of steam against those.

Pretty sure I put more time into ds2 than any other one, but drat I got to iron passage in sunken king and walked away.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Pretty sure I put more time into ds2 than any other one, but drat I got to iron passage in sunken king and walked away.

Oh man this sounds good. I'm having the best time in Souls games when the situation is apparently impossible and deeply unfair. I spent two weeks trying to take down the Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne and I loved every miserable minute. Bring on the pain.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The end level of Outlast was bananas with this poo poo.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

God of War 2 has one right at the beginning that is like something out of a comedy. Kratos has gravely wounded the Colossus of Rhodes and starts cursing at the Gods over how powerful he is while in the background the Colossus is moving his arm towards him until he swats him like a fly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBfDRA0ZI-A&t=717s

Then you get killed by Zeus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Because they have an important story with big deal emotions to tell and also metal gear solid 5 did it goddammit why can't they

Oh

Oh right because the game sucks

I like that Cayde 6 chap though does Destiny 2 feature more of him?