Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Psst backers: Request for Chris to play the game of his dreams now.

Surely he can do that, right guys??? I mean it is his game that he is coding himself.

Let's have him play it. Pleeeeeeaaaase. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Clever. Now the backers will fall all over themselves to praise Chris for being a big hero and not doing the dumbass thing he had no reason to do in the first place, and they have a free excuse when the con turns out to be dogshit as always, and they get to pretend like their backers' wishes matter to them. And all it costs them is that they have to buy a lovely thirty-buck webcam (Chris wanted higher quality, but you, the backers, demanded that we do this!).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

It's amazing.
Not asking 'why couldn't they get a sponsor this year' - Noooooo, instead they mope around like that loving donkey off Winnie The Pooh 'Ohhh dear, we really let Chris down, we can't expect good things this year, and that's only fair I suppose'

Eeyore. The only Pooh character with realistic impressions.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Uh... what the gently caress is this thing? :stare:

God’s punishment for being female.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
"I've slept on it and it's everybody's fault but mine"

Chris Roberts

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

God’s punishment for being female.

:negative:

You're killing me here lately!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Inkel posted:

I honestly think the real answer is stupidity, but not for the reason you're thinking. I bet they just have never booked an event at a venue big enough to require using the (almost certainly) more expensive in-house production company. Combine that with whoever was in charge with putting together the event either not bothering to read the contract or pay attention when they booked the space or expecting the price for the in-house company to be reasonable (which would be another example of said stupidity).

So when they get the estimate back for the video production alarm bells start going off and they need to scramble to make up the costs.

I think this is the most likely scenario.

The in-house guys are almost certainly union (IBEW) and protect their turf pretty well.

They also charge room-services prices for everything - so I have no doubt CR got a nasty surprise when the final numbers came in. (source: we had to use in-house crew to film a half-day training session. One guy, one camera. Sound. 4hrs labor and equipment rental $10k - about 20 years ago)

If CIG doesn't have $100k in liquid reserve (taking him at his word that the overage was low 6-figures), that does not bode well.

Golli fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 1, 2018

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

'So this part of Citizencon was going to be really cool, but you motherfuckers didnt want to pay for it so unfortunately there will be no Vanduul LARPing display gently caress you all'

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1035639991752257536

That's right - Blizzard's ticket sales are in such high demand they're forced to break them into waves of sales. What's this? Star Citizen has the same demand for a nonexistent scam?

What a surprise!

Quick - fresh cash only for your Wave 3 tickets!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scruffpuff posted:

That's right - Blizzard's ticket sales are in such high demand they're forced to break them into waves of sales. What's this? Star Citizen has the same demand for a nonexistent scam?

What a surprise!

Looking forward to wave 2000

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If the backers weren't kool-aid drinking members of the flock they'd realize that their outrage actually caused a shift in something regardless of how small

And that if they actually rallied together and raged like that about how this shitshow is really progressing they might actually pressure roberts into sticking with something for more than five minutes

Instead lets pat him on the back and give him an 'atta boy sticker because he backed off of one fleece too far

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Mr. Carlisle posted:

If the backers weren't kool-aid drinking members of the flock they'd realize that their outrage actually caused a shift in something regardless of how small

And that if they actually rallied together and raged like that about how this shitshow is really progressing they might actually pressure roberts into sticking with something for more than five minutes

Instead lets pat him on the back and give him an 'atta boy sticker because he backed off of one fleece too far

When Chris Roberts steals from the disabled he tells himself "this money is really mine." When he steals from the public after lying to them about what he can deliver he says to himself "this money is really mine."

After he's done telling himself that, he tells himself "in fact, that money was always mine - I'm just taking it later than when it was owed to me. The people who were holding it are lucky I'm not charging interest!"

He will never do anything. He believes the money already belongs to him because of who he is, not what he's done.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

What a surprise!

That's the thing, it's nothing but "Image".

"Look at all our fancy offices full of high dollar furniture" (Image)
"Look at our coffee machine" (Image)
"Look at my limited edition Porsche/s" (Image)
"Look at where we vacation" (Image)
"Look at the funding tracker" (Image)
"Look at all the nonfunctional or nonexistent shiny ships with shiny graphics" (Image)
"Look, we sell event tickets in 'waves', just like Blizzard" (even though demand is pitiful compared to Blizzcon so no need for 'waves') (Nothing but Image)

"Whatever you do, just don't look at what we've actually accomplished" (It'll ruin the Image)

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

i touched the poop and won

kind of interesting seeing how easy it is to poo poo on citizen, theres def been a major change like Gorf has said since 3.0 i think we're just now seeing what used to be nothing, it's all just too much, for too long, stacked up, like a giant steaming poo poo sandwhich. I think what were seeing is the fabled 2nd wave of backers, like the guys who've joined in the past 2-3 years, they're starting to see the same poo poo. I think CIG is hoping for a 3rd wave of backers to save the day.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Morphix posted:

kind of interesting seeing how easy it is to poo poo on citizen, theres def been a major change like Gorf has said since 3.0 i think we're just now seeing what used to be nothing, it's all just too much, for too long, stacked up, like a giant steaming poo poo sandwhich. I think what were seeing is the fabled 2nd wave of backers, like the guys who've joined in the past 2-3 years, they're starting to see the same poo poo. I think CIG is hoping for a 3rd wave of backers to save the day.

Here's the pattern of CIG communication as I see it:

2013 - Something cool, something cool, something cool, something horrific (usually from Ben), something cool
2014 - Something sorta cool, something questionable, something else questionable, something horrific (Ben), something kinda cool
2015 - Something questionable, something insane, something else insane, something else questionable, WTF is going on with this project, CIG opens their mouth and it's bad
2016 - A full year of burying the needle deep into the insane - lying, plagiarism (to the point where stolen art watermarks made it into the tech demo textures), theft, contract breaches, middle finger to backers remained extended the full year
2017 - Complete radio silence punctuated with the occasional peep from CIG - those peeps were always insane unforced errors
2018 - Repeat of 2017

CIG game progress follows a similar pattern:

2013 - Cool early tech demo trailer
2014 - Cool early FPS demo trailer
2015 - Nearly jaw-dropping asteroid base flight tutorial (to me the game never got any better than this point - this was the pinnacle for the very few people who got to experience it. If i hadn't played it myself I would doubt its existence. My guess is that all unshakeable backers can't let go of what this tutorial indicated the beginnings of.)
Late 2015 - Early 2016 - Release of the absurd PTU and the destruction of all hope for this project
2016 - Patch by patch destruction of everything this project ever promised to be
2017 - :lol:
2018 - :laffo:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

Here's the pattern of CIG communication as I see it:

2013 - Something cool, something cool, something cool, something horrific (usually from Ben), something cool
2014 - Something sorta cool, something questionable, something else questionable, something horrific (Ben), something kinda cool
2015 - Something questionable, something insane, something else insane, something else questionable, WTF is going on with this project, CIG opens their mouth and it's bad
2016 - A full year of burying the needle deep into the insane - lying, plagiarism (to the point where stolen art watermarks made it into the tech demo textures), theft, contract breaches, middle finger to backers remained extended the full year
2017 - Complete radio silence punctuated with the occasional peep from CIG - those peeps were always insane unforced errors
2018 - Repeat of 2017

CIG game progress follows a similar pattern:

2013 - Cool early tech demo trailer
2014 - Cool early FPS demo trailer
2015 - Nearly jaw-dropping asteroid base flight tutorial (to me the game never got any better than this point - this was the pinnacle for the very few people who got to experience it. If i hadn't played it myself I would doubt its existence. My guess is that all unshakeable backers can't let go of what this tutorial indicated the beginnings of.)
Late 2015 - Early 2016 - Release of the absurd PTU and the destruction of all hope for this project
2017 - :lol:
2018 - :laffo:

2019 - we're gonna need a bigger smilie

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I wish we knew if that first letter from roberts was another 8 hour deal like the escapist one.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I like that he slept on it and came to the magnanimous decision on his own, nothing to do with the continued outcry.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Golli posted:

I think this is the most likely scenario.

The in-house guys are almost certainly union (IBEW) and protect their turf pretty well.

They also charge room-services prices for everything - so I have no doubt CR got a nasty surprise when the final numbers came in. (source: we had to use in-house crew to film a half-day training session. One guy, one camera. Sound. 4hrs labor and equipment rental $10k - about 20 years ago)

If CIG doesn't have $100k in liquid reserve (taking him at his word that the overage was low 6-figures), that does not bode well.

Yeah, the costs for some of that stuff is incredible. I've planned a few events for the non-profit I work for and this year we decided to move our big fundraising event to a much bigger venue(moved from a hotel ballroom to a large expo center room) and I nearly had a heart attack when we got the estimate for their "preferred" production company. It was near 5x our entire event budget. If we didn't know the owner of the expo center and had his daughter on an unrelated committee, we would have been hosed.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

phosdex posted:

I wish we knew if that first letter from roberts was another 8 hour deal like the escapist one.

It probably had more profanity in it before it went through legal. Also a few instances of "Shitclown-crybabies."

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Chris fucks up again. When he made those walkbacks the new posts were 3/4s positive CIG, the citizens were assimilating nicely and he interrupted that. He should have waited til Monday to see if the walkback is needed thats how these Friday announcements work. Saturday is bargaining/acceptance day. Sunday is "this is good for star citizen you loving goon" day.

Also thinking emote, convention unions are basically your modern day stereotypical mafia unions, super strict and expensive, they're gonna let CIG just cancel on such short notice?

Citcon fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 1, 2018

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich
This fell through the cracks.

CIG is asking for orgs to make 4 booths at Citizencon. The orgs will need to provide their own materials, full time staff, travel/shipping arrangements. They don't even get a free ticket to citcon.If anyone has ever done conventions before booths require months of preparation. CIG has given 5 weeks at best (they still havent picked who yet so theres actually less time).

quote:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/citizencon-2948-org-booths%5C

CitizenCon 2948 Org BoothsPinned
Discussion
August 14th at 9:23 am
CitizenCon 2948 is about celebrating the current and future developments in Star Citizen. At the same time, CitizenCon is also about celebrating the incredible community that has continued to evolve around the BDSSE. With that in mind, we’re happy to announce that we’ll have limited space available at the Long Center in Austin, TX for Citizens to represent their Organisations, and maybe even recruit the next ace to join their fleet.

Each booth will be roughly 4-6m wide and 3m deep. There’s enough space for up to four Orgs to represent, so if we recieve more than 4 applications, we'll start a selection process to select candidates.

Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM Pacific, on the 3rd of September, 2018.
How to submit an entry
Applications must be sent via email to orgbooths@cloudimperiumgames.com, using the .pdf format
Applicants must be a member of a dedicated org with a manifesto and a clear role in the universe
Applicants must show a logistical capability to follow-through on their application
Applicants must assign a Point of Contact who is available via Skype for an interview if shortlisted
Applicants must submit designs of printed material, gifts, souvenirs, booth design, etc. that are planned to be showcased during the event for clearance
Application
Please provide a link to your Org page on robertsspaceindustries.com
Does your Org have an external website? If yes, please provide a link
Why do you want your Organization to have a booth at CitizenCon?
What would be the purpose of your booth?
Have you done something similar before?
Does your Org already have existing logos?
Please provide your booth design, including any lighting, art, materials, images, and text
Please provide a Point of Contact, include their name, handle, email, and Skype
Incomplete applications cannot/will not be considered
Content is subject to the requirements of our Terms of Service.
FAQ
Do Org booths have to be staffed all day?
In short: yes. Booths need to be staffed continuously from 9am on Wednesday, the 10th of October (access from 8am), through until 7pm, with the exception of the opening ceremony. Venue security will be on-site before/after these times. After 10pm, booths will be expected to commence their strike, with final strike and loadout completed on Thursday October 11th between 8am and 2pm. Teams will be able to tag-out, provided at least one person covers the booth throughout the required times above.

Do Org booth staff get free access to CitizenCon?
All booth teams must have tickets/access to CitizenCon

Will any gear/facilities be provided?
All Org booths will have access to power/internet - some simple furniture may be available upon request

Citcon fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 1, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

What a surprise!

Each wave is 5 tickets.

Sorry this is so stupid. Some days it's downright hilarious, but it's really just stupid.

They didn't earn any of this stuff. They have no products. They don't have anything that looks like it will be a playable game even some day. And yet they do this stuff for the sole purpose of faking it.

I mean I love to fake it till you make it, but this is just dumb. The Rebel Galaxy people just nailed it. I hope other developers do too. I hope these expos do and just ban CIG from showing up and using their logos and pretending to be this hugely successful game company that makes games.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Citcon posted:

This fell through the cracks.

CIG is asking for orgs to make 4 booths at Citizencon. The orgs will need to provide their own materials, full time staff, travel/shipping arrangements. They don't even get a free ticket to citcon.If anyone has ever done conventions before booths require months of preparation. CIG has given 5 weeks at best (they still havent picked who yet so theres actually less time).

"Hey guys, lets all join together so six of us might be able to get together and jump up and down. Maybe some of us might be able to move a box together."

This is not Eve. This is not the beginning of another Eve-like. Your orgs are literally meaningless because the game is an arena shooter. You may as well go make a huge org in Fortnight and start trying to influence the economy there. Same thing, except Fortnight has gameplay and higher player counts with more stable servers and clients.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

imagine being an 'org' in this game

"here we are guys, still, uh, flying around in circles waiting for there to be even the tiniest scrap of anything whatsoever in terms of mechanics for orgs to do things. six years and still going strong! join up!"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'm going to think about our trade route today!

Today's cargo is "loving Lies" and I'm selling it a bunch of whales for big money!!! Yeah baby!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Each wave is 5 tickets.

Sorry this is so stupid. Some days it's downright hilarious, but it's really just stupid.

They didn't earn any of this stuff. They have no products. They don't have anything that looks like it will be a playable game even some day. And yet they do this stuff for the sole purpose of faking it.

I mean I love to fake it till you make it, but this is just dumb. The Rebel Galaxy people just nailed it. I hope other developers do too. I hope these expos do and just ban CIG from showing up and using their logos and pretending to be this hugely successful game company that makes games.

Also consider that Blizzcon sells out thousands of tickets in minutes. At the end of it all, they've sold over 10,000 tickets. Generally they sell them in two batches, and that's it. Due to recent high demand, they decided to offer what they called a third wave of tickets because the demand was higher than it had ever been before.

Consider how many seats they're trying to sell for Citizencon and attempt to justify selling them in "waves." And which "wave" are they tweeting about? Ah - the third wave of sales, the exact same wave number that Blizzard used when they were responding to unprecedented demand and interest!

What a coincidence!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I wonder if the Internet Citizen Defense Force will have a booth?

Maybe Joe Blobers will be there.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Golli posted:

I wonder if the Internet Citizen Defense Force will have a booth?

Maybe Joe Blobers will be there.

I think CryTek should set up a booth in there with Skadden business cards.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my god that Outlaw trailer they really went all in on giving the finger to Star Citizen that’s incredible

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

Also consider that Blizzcon sells out thousands of tickets in minutes. At the end of it all, they've sold over 10,000 tickets. Generally they sell them in two batches, and that's it. Due to recent high demand, they decided to offer what they called a third wave of tickets because the demand was higher than it had ever been before.

Consider how many seats they're trying to sell for Citizencon and attempt to justify selling them in "waves." And which "wave" are they tweeting about? Ah - the third wave of sales, the exact same wave number that Blizzard used when they were responding to unprecedented demand and interest!

What a coincidence!

Do you think maybe they do this because they realize it's transparent but their fans will feel important?

Also what's the deal with "buy your friend a ticket for exactly the same price as yours"? Is it just so you don't have to sign up on spectrum?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9by9nj/an_apology_to_chris/

Jesus loving christ :negative:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SoftNum posted:

Do you think maybe they do this because they realize it's transparent but their fans will feel important?

No. They do this because they have no idea how to make a game, because they're not a game development company, and they're being led by a "man" who isn't a game developer.

All their patch numbers mirror Elite's, their Citizencon bullshit imitates Blizzcon, the offices and murals also mirror Blizzard's, and their game development terminology like "Alpha, Pre-Alpha, refactor" is all imitated from real development companies, albeit used wrong.

The entire company is a monkey-see monkey-do operation that has made nothing, is going nowhere, and doesn't understand a single thing about the task they happily took $200 million to perform.

AtmaTheWanderer
Nov 6, 2003
FFXI Mithra Mangina
Pillbug
It's absolutely comical how they're lavishing praise on him for realizing he absolutely hosed up hard.

He just gave himself an out for when the stream fucks up. He also just managed to find a way to get these idiots to STILL give him $20 for the expense he just cut.

The Crobbear may suck at anything even remotely resembling managing a project, but man does that dude know how to milk himself some whale tits.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, maybe I missed it, but refunds for tickets bought with fresh cash can only be gotten in store credit :laffo:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What an absolute clusterfuck of a game.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:smithicide:

unironically though, getting all these dipshits to spend $20 on a loving in-game coat rules, and I hope Chris does this every year.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Colostomy Bag posted:

What an absolute clusterfuck

FTFY

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Not a cult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

:smithicide:

unironically though, getting all these dipshits to spend $20 on a loving in-game coat rules, and I hope Chris does this every year.

It's a duster, not a coat.