Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never thought Speed Racer would come in a thread about subtle movies. I've grown to like it and my kid loves it but I never really regarded it for its subtext or sly inferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

flatluigi posted:

i mean, yeah, generally being closeted sucks in a lot of ways?

Yes, that's my point - it must have really sucked for them having to do that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure I remember them fighting to be allowed to put the credit that way back then. The DGA didn't like it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Michael Giacchino did such a good loving job with the Speed Racer soundtrack. The entire reboot/final lap sequence is pure visual and audio candy. Seeing it on the big screen is one of my favorite movie theater going experiences.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In Speed Racer the little boy has pajamas with chimps on them and his chimp friend has pajamas with little boys on them.

Also in Speed Racer there's a man named Snake Oiler who fights using snakes and oil.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EmmyOk posted:

In Attack on Titan whenever there are team meetings or late night conversations in the barracks/dorms you usually see a few characters with mugs of coffee or sometimes small pastries around. I like it because it makes the scenes seem realer and more like real conversations than plot delivery scenes. They also use it cleverly when something sudden or unexpected happens to have characters put their cups down in shock while in the background a more cool collected character continues drinking.

Do not start an anime is good or bad derail.

I dunno if this counts, but I am reminded of one old anime maker curmudgeon's complaint that a lot of anime (especially the cheap and exploitative stuff) ends up animated and have characters move and act in ways that don't resemble reality at all, being near-robotic imitations of imitations of archetypes that are deemed to appeal to certain audience segments who don't care about the details as long as they're pandered to.

...and while this can certainly be a problem in anime, it's by no means restricted to it, it's a hallmark of bad direction in any medium.

I'm reminded of how often Frasier has the characters eating, drinking wine, coffee or beer and such. Apparently actors like having stuff to do with their hands (and Frasier and Niles are lowkey alcoholics) but it does something similar in helping a scene seem more real and organic, even if the dialogue is obviously scripted.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Michael Giacchino did such a good loving job with the Speed Racer soundtrack. The entire reboot/final lap sequence is pure visual and audio candy. Seeing it on the big screen is one of my favorite movie theater going experiences.

Also the victory/closing theme is called "Let Us Drink Milk", because this being based on an animated show for kids they're not drinking from a huge bottle of champagne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J43sqfh_p0

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Also the victory/closing theme is called "Let Us Drink Milk", because this being based on an animated show for kids they're not drinking from a huge bottle of champagne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J43sqfh_p0

I wonder if it's not more of a reference to the Indy500 and it's traditional Milk sponsorship

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
That guy loves wordplay in his soundtrack titles.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I did not know about Indy500's relationship with milk.

uvar posted:

That guy loves wordplay in his soundtrack titles.

When Giacchino was announced as the composer for Star Wars: Rogue One I jokingly asked a movie music thread in CD about potential titles. When the actual soundtrack was released I was somewhat disappointed, because it had generic song titles. But somebody later posted the liner notes for the soundtrack which mention alternate titles filled with the usual puns. So "Wobani Imperial Labor Camp" becomes "Jyncarcerated" (Jyn is the name of the main character).

And there always is the soundtrack for Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, which is his pun masterpiece:
1. Level Plaguing Field
2. Look Who's Stalking
3. The Great Ape Processional
4. Past Their Primates
5. Close Encounters of the Furred Kind
6. Monkey to the City
7. The Lost City of Chimpanzee
8. Along Simian Lines
9. Caesar No Evil, Hear No Evil
10. Monkey See, Monkey Coup
11. Gorilla Warfare
12. The Apes of Wrath
13. Gibbon Take
14. Aped Crusaders
15. How Bonobo Can You Go
16. Enough Monkeying Around
17. Primates for Life
18. Planet of the End Credits
19. Ain't That a Stinger

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:58 on Aug 31, 2018

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Mierenneuker posted:

When Giacchino was announced as the composer for Star Wars: Rogue One I jokingly asked a movie music thread in CD about potential titles. When the actual soundtrack was released I was somewhat disappointed, because it had generic song titles. But somebody later posted the liner notes for the soundtrack which mention alternate titles filled with the usual puns. So "Wobani Imperial Labor Camp" becomes "Jyncarcerated" (Jyn is the name of the main character).

I am partial to his work on Zootopia as well. On top of being filled with puns like "Ewe fell for it" and "Hopps goes (after) the weasel", He gets in a good stinger on the movie's main point with the title, and I think his strongest work on the soundtrack, "Some of my best friends are Predators." The soundtrack has a great range of styles as well.

Giacchino and his puns are good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

NtotheTC posted:

I wonder if it's not more of a reference to the Indy500 and it's traditional Milk sponsorship

Could be both! Anime tends to have alcohol and tobacco crudely censored for TV despite the intent being still obvious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

On another note, can we do TV moments in here?

MTV animated series Daria probably has quite a lot you could bring up in here if so. One thing that came to mind is the episode where due to a teacher's strike, Daria ends up 'volunteered' to be the substitute teacher of Quinn's class, grading an assignment for essays on Romeo and Juliet. She actually gives credit to one of the otherwise dim boys that's usually fighting over Quinn for his theory that Mercutio had a thing for Romeo; while she doesn't agree with his theory necessarily and feels some of his comments were closed-minded, she gives him credit for arguing his point well.

IIRC, Mercutio having feelings for Romeo isn't a theory without precedent or support in Shakespeare theory/fandom.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's common enough that he was played as queer in the 1996 Baz Luhrman film. I know people have issues with this film, but this is personally my favourite Mercutio performance of all the ones I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8q8S0ScJ1w

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Gromit posted:

They must have hated having to put this in the credits.

Yep, misgendering sucks and can ruin many a day.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Did each sister know the other was also trans back in 98?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Something I noticed in Disenchantment: the king has a little Bender-esque antenna on his crown. Both characters are voiced by John DiMaggio.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Krinkle posted:

Did each sister know the other was also trans back in 98?

No one knows. We know that Lana came out to her family in 2001 but we know nothing about Lilly, who only came out because she was blackmailed by the Daily Mail.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really want to get a home 3D release of this movie, just so i can load it up on my PC and enjoy it on my Oculus Rift.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gynocentric Regime posted:

No one knows. We know that Lana came out to her family in 2001 but we know nothing about Lilly, who only came out because she was blackmailed by the Daily Mail.

What the gently caress?

What dog does daily mail have in this race?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ignite Memories posted:

What the gently caress?

Clicks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ignite Memories posted:

What the gently caress?

It's something to draw in their audience of old skeleton people who can't get their dusty-rear end rocks off without something to tut tut at. Usually that something is the existence of brown people. I guess they decided to branch out.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ignite Memories posted:

What the gently caress?

The Daily Mail is virulently transmisic and routinely publishes articles from TERFs. It’s right up their alley.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Gynocentric Regime posted:

The Daily Mail is virulently transmisic and routinely publishes articles from TERFs. It’s right up their alley.

FTFY

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
hurrah-for-the-blackshirts.png

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno if this counts, but I am reminded of one old anime maker curmudgeon's complaint that a lot of anime (especially the cheap and exploitative stuff) ends up animated and have characters move and act in ways that don't resemble reality at all, being near-robotic imitations of imitations of archetypes that are deemed to appeal to certain audience segments who don't care about the details as long as they're pandered to.

...and while this can certainly be a problem in anime, it's by no means restricted to it, it's a hallmark of bad direction in any medium.

I'm reminded of how often Frasier has the characters eating, drinking wine, coffee or beer and such. Apparently actors like having stuff to do with their hands (and Frasier and Niles are lowkey alcoholics) but it does something similar in helping a scene seem more real and organic, even if the dialogue is obviously scripted.

One thing you can notice in a lot of anime is static background characters etc. even in really well produced shows due to time and budget constraints which is something even poorly made TV shows don't have to worry about. It can be really distracting once you notice. That's not I'm getting at really though, it's more like the Frasier example where it makes the characters seem more like real and the scenes feel more like they're naturally occurring rather than just characters giving explanatory dialogue.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Gromit posted:

They must have hated having to put this in the credits.

Wonder why they didn’t just go with The Wachowskis

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did for their previous movie.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Mierenneuker posted:

And there always is the soundtrack for Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, which is his pun masterpiece:
1. Level Plaguing Field
2. Look Who's Stalking
3. The Great Ape Processional
4. Past Their Primates
5. Close Encounters of the Furred Kind
6. Monkey to the City
7. The Lost City of Chimpanzee
8. Along Simian Lines
9. Caesar No Evil, Hear No Evil
10. Monkey See, Monkey Coup
11. Gorilla Warfare
12. The Apes of Wrath
13. Gibbon Take
14. Aped Crusaders
15. How Bonobo Can You Go
16. Enough Monkeying Around
17. Primates for Life
18. Planet of the End Credits
19. Ain't That a Stinger

No Hail to the Chimp.

7/10

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

ExplodingSims posted:

No Hail to the Chimp.

7/10

"Monkey see, monkey coup" brings it right back to 10/10 though. That's absolutely perfect.

While Star Wars may not like his puns, I'm glad Star Trek lets him go nuts. Here's the tracklist from Star Trek Beyond:

quote:

1."Logo and Prosper"
2."Thank Your Lucky Star Date"
3."Night on the Yorktown"
4."The Dance of the Nebula"
5."A Swarm Reception"
6."Hitting the Saucer a Little Hard"
7."Jaylah Damage"
8."In Artifacts as in Life"
9."Franklin, My Dear"
10."A Lesson in Vulcan Mineralogy"
11."MotorCycles of Relief"
12."Mocking Jaylah"
13."Crash Decisions"
14."Krall-y Krall-y Oxen Free"
15."Shutdown Happens"
16."Cater-Krall in Zero G"
17."Par-tay for the Course"
18."Star Trek Main Theme"

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Sep 1, 2018

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Aphrodite posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember them fighting to be allowed to put the credit that way back then. The DGA didn't like it.

The DGA gets weird with "co director" type situations. They want one name on there representing one person.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My only problem with the Speed Racer movie is that Racer X, one of the coolest looking characters of all time, looks like a dweeb in the movie

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

My only problem with the Speed Racer movie is that Racer X, one of the coolest looking characters of all time, looks like a dweeb in the movie

How does he look like a dweeb? The fakeout with him in the movie rules nearly as hard as the reveal of why Speed races

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Barudak posted:

How does he look like a dweeb? The fakeout with him in the movie rules nearly as hard as the reveal of why Speed races

I meant solely in terms of his costume. I don't like the black costume he wears.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I don't know, black motorcycle leathers are hard not to pull off.

If Racer X was played by DJ Qualls I'd be right there with you, brother, but I think lost man looks pretty rad

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man whatever happened to him?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's been a regular on a string of TV shows going back to like 2010.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I liked him on Supernatural, but didn't he die or become a werewolf or some poo poo?

or was that his character

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are we all talking about the same Matthew Fox? https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0289142/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

They were talking about DJ Qualls. It is weird now that I see it though that Matthew Fox hasn't been in anything in 3 years, since Bone Tomahawk (which he's great in).