Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cojawfee posted:

There was a guy on a car forum years ago who was asking how to mod his car so the reverse lights were always on because he thought it would look cool. When told it would piss off anyone who drove behind him, he gave the typical "I don't care, it's my car, I can do what I want"

Not only is that childish stupid, and just looks like something is broken or miswired, in most states it's illegal to have rearward facing white lights illuminated on the rear of the vehicle when it is not reversing.

RE: rear fog lights: 98.6% of US drivers are not even aware that such a thing as a rear fog light exists, let alone is on their car and is activated by turning on the front "driving lights."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Not only is that childish stupid, and just looks like something is broken or miswired, in most states it's illegal to have rearward facing white lights illuminated on the rear of the vehicle when it is not reversing.

Better tell GM, the reverse lights come on when you unlock the car with the RKE in much of their current product line.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Midjack posted:

Better tell GM, the reverse lights come on when you unlock the car with the RKE in much of their current product line.

... annnnnd we’ve come full circle.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Darchangel posted:

When I was in high school, it was a thing for street racers to rig up a switch to their reverse lights - flashing them signaled to a car behind you that you were down to race. There was also a dumb trend of swapping the brake and signal bulbs and harnesses so their signals would be red and their brakes lit up amber. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dphi posted:

When I was in high school, it was a thing for street racers to rig up a switch to their reverse lights - flashing them signaled to a car behind you that you were down to race. There was also a dumb trend of swapping the brake and signal bulbs and harnesses so their signals would be red and their brakes lit up amber. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And were they crashed into a lot? I knew a guy who got his tail lights tinted so much that I couldn't even see his brake lights during the day and I almost rear ended him.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
It all doesn't matter as long as american cars still use the red brakelights as indicators.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

glyph posted:

... annnnnd we’ve come full circle.

You do know that GM cars turn on their backing lights when you lock the door.

:haw:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

It all doesn't matter as long as american cars still use the red brakelights as indicators.

What drives me up the walls about this is that the German brands, which have amber turn signals in other markets, make their US market cars with a combined brake/turn indicator with mixed results owing to the fact that the lamp cluster hasn't been modified beyond changing the lamp color. Some turn out fine (most BMWs and Mercedes) while others looked half assed. (Some VAGs) The worst implementations are the Tiguan, which visibly still has the amber indicator but it isn't wired up, and Audis with the scrolling indicator so if you're indicating to turn, the brake lamp blinks and the scrolling indicator scrolls at the same time. :downs:

Really, the absolute worst things about those lamps is that you can't just replace the bulbs or the lamp cluster to have amber turn signals since the car has been wired to be a combined indicator.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you want to talk about cheap poo poo with taillights, I hate when manufacturers mix LED brake lights with incandescent brake lights since the incandescents take longer to come on. It just looks messy and mismatched.

Honestly, LED brake lights should be mandated since they do come on quicker.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Given that the average driver's reaction time can be expressed in integer seconds that's less of a motivation than the numbers would indicate. :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In the flip side, that very reason is why every advantage possible should be given.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Led brake lights suck because I was blinded while sitting behind an Audi in a drive thru.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Edward IV posted:

What drives me up the walls about this is that the German brands, which have amber turn signals in other markets, make their US market cars with a combined brake/turn indicator with mixed results owing to the fact that the lamp cluster hasn't been modified beyond changing the lamp color. Some turn out fine (most BMWs and Mercedes) while others looked half assed. (Some VAGs) The worst implementations are the Tiguan, which visibly still has the amber indicator but it isn't wired up, and Audis with the scrolling indicator so if you're indicating to turn, the brake lamp blinks and the scrolling indicator scrolls at the same time. :downs:

Really, the absolute worst things about those lamps is that you can't just replace the bulbs or the lamp cluster to have amber turn signals since the car has been wired to be a combined indicator.

The Audi ones are interesting from a regulation standpoint. Each individual LED is counting as a light since they’re sequential, and they aren’t large enough by law. Thus the large one blinking. If the little LEDs weren’t sequential then it would be large enough but not cool.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StormDrain posted:

The Audi ones are interesting from a regulation standpoint. Each individual LED is counting as a light since they’re sequential, and they aren’t large enough by law. Thus the large one blinking. If the little LEDs weren’t sequential then it would be large enough but not cool.

lol

They'd be a maintenance pain too; if I remember right a lot of state inspections will fail for a single brake light out regards of how many still work. Not that LEDs fail all that often but a lot of people would be stuck replacing the whole unit since soldering is a lost technology these days.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I remember for a brief period the industry was poised to go with neon. A few cars had them, never realized the Mark VIII had them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bring back Trafficators.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

Totally with you. It's been what, 20 years since they started appearing on cars? I'm pretty sure late '90s Cadillacs are where I first saw them. It's not like they're untested new technology that anyone can reasonably be hesitant about.

They're cheap, objectively better at everything, and allow more flexibility to the designers because they don't have to leave room for huge reflectors and/or can combine elements like "switchback" DRL/turn signals. The only reason halogen signal bulbs still exist is shithead bean counters trying to cut single-digit dollars from a five-digit price tag.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can remember at one point I was at an auto show ages ago and the Cadillac booth had a whole presentation on how LED brake lights can lead to faster reaction times.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

And in given GM/Cadillac fashion, the 3rd brake light had about half of them burned out.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm fairly certain that in automotive applications, the LED never fails, it's always the drivers. If only there was a dedicated 5v or 3.7v system for them instead of discrete 12v->5v drivers for each bulb node.

This assumes I know what I'm talking about.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Oh I'm sure your right. But I'm talking about GM here so...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
GM LED tail lights strobe in the low hundreds of hertz and it’s terrible.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Midjack posted:

I’m aware. The laws I’m speaking of generally only apply while driving on the street.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I’m aware. The laws I’m speaking of generally only apply while driving on the street.

Pity, I want to gently caress with a chainsaw the GM choad who had that idea.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

GM LED tail lights strobe in the low hundreds of hertz and it’s terrible.

They make my eyeballs jiggle

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

PainterofCrap posted:

They make my eyeballs jiggle

So did their ignition switches.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

So did their ignition switches.

Yeah, but thats only when they're hanging out of their sockets after the car stalled, you lots most of your power brake assist, and slammed in to whatever immovable object is in front of you.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh I'm sure your right. But I'm talking about GM here so...

Good point. GM can't even make 12v go reliably from a 12v battery to a left front headlight without loving up the voltage and burning the bulbs out super fast. It's like every other dickhead night driving with his brights on because a headlight is out is in either an Altima or a Malibu.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://i.imgur.com/G8sitMU.mp4

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

dafaq?

Did the hub come unbolted from the knuckle, resulting in the axel being the only thing holding the wheel on? Braking must have been interesting....

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I see one of the bolts for the hub still there.

I'm gonna just guess the caliper bracket and caliper were the only things even holding that mess on. :stare:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Brigdh posted:

dafaq?

Did the hub come unbolted from the knuckle, resulting in the axel being the only thing holding the wheel on? Braking must have been interesting....

Probably started as a shot bearing, driver got used to the rumble and the sound didn't change much or changed slowly enough to not be noticeable once the axle ate its way through the bearing race and into the spindle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Geoj posted:

Probably started as a shot bearing, driver got used to the rumble and the sound didn't change much or changed slowly enough to not be noticeable once the axle ate its way through the bearing race and into the spindle.

I'm sure it rode smooth over train tracks and speed bumps.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BloodBag posted:

Good point. GM can't even make 12v go reliably from a 12v battery to a left front headlight without loving up the voltage and burning the bulbs out super fast. It's like every other dickhead night driving with his brights on because a headlight is out is in either an Altima or a Malibu.

We live in an era where Lucas can thrive in providing reliable lighting solutions.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's a pretty impressive example of zero fucks given/clueless/no attention span.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hardest working CV axle in the world.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

I'm gonna guess that came into the shop for something like an ABS light being on. I had a car come in with something not quite that bad. It was sketchy as hell driving it through the parking lot, it's terrifying they drove it on the highway. It came in for the ABS light... That's it. Not bad sounds, not handling like it's gonna break, the ABS light.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Undershadowed just a little bit by the insane wheel of death above, but I have a little content from work today

Nice job making access panels accessible

A couple million dollars buys you these rivets

gently caress

WHAT THE gently caress

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
I feel your pain on the broken screwdriver bits... In a former job, all we had were cheap ones. That combined with older Business Jets guaranteed a minimum of 1-2 broken bits per week. Per mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Thank god for annual mandatory inspections...