Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Star Control Origins is basically a bootleg, being made by a company who bought the name from someone that didn't have the right to sell it, run by someone that tries to murder his own employees with bees.

Other than that, it looks kind of dull, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CYBEReris posted:

Personally I'm passing on that even if it's good, Stardock were incredibly scummy to Toys for Bob.

yeah this. gently caress everything those guys put out.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I was also planning on giving it a pass because of Stardock, but everything except the combat has also looked pretty rough in SCO. It seems like it'll be early access without calling it that. Hasn't Stardock done that before?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Woah this game looked awesome. So much classic scifi art in it. Was it any good?

For a DOS game from 25 years ago I'd give it a recommendation. At the time it got poor reviews in part because it wasn't Starflight 3 (see also reviews of Fallout: Tactics that were angry it wasn't Fallout 3.)

If you like games like Star Control/Starflight/etc, Protostar's worth a play. All the bits are there, they've all been done better elsewhere, but it's a competent enough execution of the concept.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Tarquinn posted:

In case you love Starflight and space RPGs like I do, Starflight 3's campaign is now live on Fig. :woop:

Speaking of space RPGs, anybody got a good recommendation? I played most of the classics (Starflight, Star Control, Future Magic, Hard Nova, Escape Velocity), but I feel there must be one or two spaceship RPGs out there that I have missed.

Planet's Edge: https://www.mobygames.com/game/planets-edge-the-point-of-no-return

It's wonderful.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Are stardock enormous assholes in general or just this once? I have a buddy who works at a game studio that's somewhat comeptitive with their kind of game and he always complains but doesn't give details.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They've been assholes for a long time on a wide range of issues.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Are stardock enormous assholes in general or just this once? I have a buddy who works at a game studio that's somewhat comeptitive with their kind of game and he always complains but doesn't give details.

Brad Wardell is a really, really bad person. That kinda ends up poisoning all of Stardock's stuff as a result. There might be good, talented people there, but I'm not gonna touch anything they do while involved with Wardell.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Wasn't Brad Wardell the fella who went completely off the deep end after being accused of sexual harassment, and made red-pillers look like poster-children for well-adjusted members of society?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You don't have to touch him. He'll touch you. From a distance. With bees.

He is a poo poo person and pretty much seems to revel in it these days. Fortunately he still posts publicly on some forums, which is great if you like drama and seeing him act like an rear end in a top hat. I only wish he'd get involved in Star Citizen somehow.

On a more thread-relevant note, I have a thing for solo or at most duo runs of games that are meant for a full 4+ member party. Not extreme challenge runs, games that at least somewhat support it. Any recommendations for fun things to try, preferably for a Wizardry style of game? I'm currently doing it in Stranger of Sword City, and I've played a fair bit of solo/duo Infinity Engine stuff, and of course I've bashed my head against Wizardry 8 once or twice. Also not really a fan of square-dancing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Yup. That's the fella!

And speaking of Star Control, he's also making life hell for the original creators of the series: https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/22/17041632/star-control-stardock-brad-wardell-lawsuit

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I looked it up.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/09/former-employee-sues-over-sexual-harassment-studio-says-she-ruined-its-game/

Wow what a tool. That's 2012, anyone know how that one ended up?

EDIT: Huh, dismissed with prejudice - both suit and counter suit.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 31, 2018

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I am in the same boat as the rest of you when it comes to SCO. I want it to be good, and I wish there wasn't this kerfuffle with Toys for Bob. :(

Yeah, I bought that like 18 years ago, but did not really enjoy it.

Have to give it another try, because it still looks fantastic. Thanks! :tipshat:

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Tarquinn posted:

Speaking of space RPGs, anybody got a good recommendation? I played most of the classics (Starflight, Star Control, Future Magic, Hard Nova, Escape Velocity), but I feel there must be one or two spaceship RPGs out there that I have missed.

It sort of leans more on the "we stuck RPG elements in our action game", but the recent Seven: Days Long Gone kinda flew under everybody's radar when it was actually quite good in an old-school exploration kind of way. Imagine old-school Ultima crossing with Assassin's Creed set in the ruins of a much more advanced civilization. There are technically spaceships!

Edit: this is not technically an oldschool game. Or even not-technically. Also comedy option this ten year old weird thing based off eastern european sci-fi.

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 31, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Speaking of Toys For Bob, remember their game The Horde? That game was so rad.

EDIT: Also apparently the actual guys who did the original Star Controls are working on a direct sequel to Star Control II called Ghost of the Precursors.

EDIT EDIT: Oh wait that's right, Wardell is a colossal jackass again and is suing them.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 31, 2018

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I've heard tale that World of Xeen is a game that can benefit enormously from having some kind of good Roland setup for the sound, either via actual hardware if so fortunate or perhaps some kind of specific munt shenanigans combined with whatever emulation means---is there some definitive easy guide for such? Or does this also hold true for Might & Magic 3 along similar lines?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm sure many have seen this list before, but a while ago on the RPG Codex forums they voted on the top 50 cRPGs of all time. It was just fun to see how it lined up with my own preferences:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codexs-top-50-crpgs-results-and-reviews.89680/

Also it gets broken down into pre-1995, and post-1995, which was interesting, too.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Looks like a good list.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah considering their reputation as hating everything I do agree that nearly every game on that list is great.

And then... And then they have Temple of Elemental Evil in the top 25. Literally one of the worst CRPGs I have ever paid for. Hmm. Well, if you replaced it with Fallout 3 I might agree :madmax: (or, even more seriously, ELEX, A MODERN MASTERPIECE)

(Wizardry VI is a guilty pleasure of mine for nostalgia reasons and I would still never say it belongs ranked nearly that high either)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dr. Quarex posted:

(Wizardry VI is a guilty pleasure of mine for nostalgia reasons and I would still never say it belongs ranked nearly that high either)

No judgement here. I like the second Pools of Radiance game, Ruins of Myth Drannor, despite its many, many flaws to which I would readily admit. I wish that it would come to GOG for convenience sake even though I still have my game CDs.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

Dr. Quarex posted:

And then... And then they have Temple of Elemental Evil in the top 25. Literally one of the worst CRPGs I have ever paid for. Hmm. Well, if you replaced it with Fallout 3 I might agree :madmax: (or, even more seriously, ELEX, A MODERN MASTERPIECE)

I still maintain that ToEE was a fantastic game engine saddled with a terrible plot. Similar to Wizard's Crown (which didn't so really have a "terrible plot" so much as a basically non-existent plot coupled with a massive difficulty spike in the middle of the game).

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The games that I'm most happy to see on that list (Wizardry 8 and Alpha Protocol) have some serious flaws.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Captain Kevbo posted:

I still maintain that ToEE was a fantastic game engine saddled with a terrible plot.

I agree. I also think that it was a brilliantly faithful recreation of 3.5 edition D&Ds combat, with all the good and bad that comes with that. My primary "want" for that game would be that it have better scaling for people like myself who like to play with large parties.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I mean... wasn't the plot for Temple of Elemental Evil lifted directly from the module published in 1985?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_of_Elemental_Evil

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I mean... wasn't the plot for Temple of Elemental Evil lifted directly from the module published in 1985?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_of_Elemental_Evil

Yeah, but old modules were often just the barest of plots with a list of maps and encounters, the idea being you'd have an actual human DM to fill in the gaps. The proper way to do an adaptation of it would be to have actual writers fill in those gaps with further narrative.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That was one of the few projects were the bulk of the writing was done by Tim Cain, and he's been self-flagellating about it to this day, to be fair.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
ToEE is very good, but it's almost unplayable without fan patches and mods iirc.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chairchucker posted:

The games that I'm most happy to see on that list (Wizardry 8 and Alpha Protocol) have some serious flaws.
Sometimes being good or great isn't about being flawless but about being interesting and/or fun.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Seems Cleve has finally realized the price for his masterpiece might not be reasonable:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/650670

quote:

Permanent & Sale price reductions at launch of V2 :
WISHLIST DRIVE FOR V2 GRIMOIRE SALE PRICE!!
AUGUST 21 - GOLDEN ERA GAMES
WISHLIST COUNT as of 25/08/2018 : 36,406

The second release of Grimoire at the one year anniversary of the game's release is progressing well! Brand new inventory workshop (see and sort all items, now apply all special crafts for classes) is done and extremely helpful during gameplay, almost changes the whole experience! In addition to new regions, new NPCs, new story lines, new enhancements to gameplay and two new title screens!

Many players have complained about the high initial price of Grimoire compared to other roleplaying games on Steam. We are considering a major price discount at the release of V2 and you can help decide what it will be!

Before we release V2, we will set the sale price according to the wishlist volume on Steam according to the figures below!

Permanent & Sale price reductions at launch of V2 :

10K Wishlist = $29.95, Sale Price $24.95
25K Wishlist = $24.95, Sale Price $19.95
50K Wishlist = $19.95, Sale Price $9.95
100K Wishlist = $9.95, Permanent & Sale Price

If you want lower the price permanently on the Steam store both for V2 and any future updates, you can help by getting your friends to wishlist the game and encouraging other Steam users to wishlist it. This is a chance to make the game affordable permanently for diehard fans of turn-based old skool roleplaying games!

Keep watching this page for further updates on our progress on V2, it is going to be even more awesome than the first release of Grimoire - if that can be imagined !!!
I want to make fun of him for going back on his "no sales ever, that would dilute the greatness of the game" but it's actually refreshing to see him accept reality for once in his life. Plus, I can still make fun of him for still not having a manual a year after release.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm mildly surprised that he backed off on the pricing thing, but moreso I am pretty embarrassed that I spent $36 at release for this game and have yet to play it due in large part due to it being far from "finished." How it can still be this rough after the many years that he has worked on it is hard for me to fathom.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's because he's trying to single handedly create a game with a scope that should have an entire dev team working on it, and rather than using any of the modern game making tools that are available, he's carving out every scrap of code from the raw earth to prove Neanderthal superiority or something.

Point being, Cleve making any concession to reality is a rare and precious thing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I've heard tale that World of Xeen is a game that can benefit enormously from having some kind of good Roland setup for the sound, either via actual hardware if so fortunate or perhaps some kind of specific munt shenanigans combined with whatever emulation means---is there some definitive easy guide for such? Or does this also hold true for Might & Magic 3 along similar lines?
I don't know about roland specifically, but xeen on a soundblaster audigy with the right midi soundfont is incredible. you can get more modern orchestral samples, or even funky retro synth, and it stomps all over the windows default samples. it's simple, because all you do is properly configure your soundcard in the config.conf file, then the rest is hardware, you just load whatever font. the more memory you have, the more insane you can get. you can play xeen with an all percussion soundtrack, it's awesome.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm mildly surprised that he backed off on the pricing thing, but moreso I am pretty embarrassed that I spent $36 at release for this game and have yet to play it due in large part due to it being far from "finished." How it can still be this rough after the many years that he has worked on it is hard for me to fathom.

It's because he's literally insane. This is a game that no single person should ever have tried to make without a team.

In fairness, say what you will about the end result but it's incredibly impressive for one dude's work.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

For those of you who were interested in the Dragon Wars LP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867581

Hope you enjoy. I'm also planning to do a few posts on replaying the game, different versions, etc. Hopefully, at least some of that will actually come to pass!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

rujasu posted:

For those of you who were interested in the Dragon Wars LP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867581

Hope you enjoy. I'm also planning to do a few posts on replaying the game, different versions, etc. Hopefully, at least some of that will actually come to pass!

Awesome, thanks! Gonna read it right now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I really like LPs that explain mechanics. It's especially good for old, obscure games with a lot of trap choices in character building, and sometimes it's good for a laugh and/or utterly horrifying when you see some of the incredibly stupid poo poo that developers due to stupidity, spite, or lack of time/resources.

Many of the negatives of older games were made due to technical limitations. Many were done to make games extra difficult and last longer. Many were just made by idiots.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I've been sucked into Wasteland all night. Probably played ten hours. Admittedly I'm spoiling as many mechanics as I can. The game is pretty sparse on objectives of any kind, which is probably my biggest complaint. Otherwise I'm really liking it.

edit:

I tried Pool of Radiance yesterday and when I got to the weapon store and there were like 60 types of melee weapons I just moved on. Someday I'll return; it looks really interesting.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 2, 2018

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

You monster.

quote:

I tried Pool of Radiance yesterday and when I got to the weapon store and there were like 60 types of melee weapons I just moved on. Someday I'll return; it looks really interesting.

Most of the weapons can be safely ignored.

Just get longswords, halberds or 2H swords for fighters
Maces or flails for clerics
Longsword for pure thief
Daggers or quarterstaves for mages

For ranged weapons use Longbows & arrows for fighters
Slings for thief
Darts for mages
Staff sling for clerics (don't think these were in PoR)

DirkDonkeyroot
Feb 25, 2007

Largepotato posted:

You monster.

Most of the weapons can be safely ignored.

Just get longswords, halberds or 2H swords for fighters
Maces or flails for clerics
Longsword for pure thief
Daggers or quarterstaves for mages

For ranged weapons use Longbows & arrows for fighters
Slings for thief
Darts for mages
Staff sling for clerics (don't think these were in PoR)

Staff slings were in azure bonds for the first time. I'm not sure if it worked properly in PoR but a fighter/thief with a fine composite longbow and some gauntlets of ogre power was deadly. They sell the bow in the silver goods shop for like 25k pp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

JustJeff88 posted:

I really like LPs that explain mechanics. It's especially good for old, obscure games with a lot of trap choices in character building, and sometimes it's good for a laugh and/or utterly horrifying when you see some of the incredibly stupid poo poo that developers due to stupidity, spite, or lack of time/resources.

Many of the negatives of older games were made due to technical limitations. Many were done to make games extra difficult and last longer. Many were just made by idiots.

I've always been curious what percentage of gross revenue selling walkthroughs generally were and how much that was on the mind of the game designers.