Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Way I see it, no matter all the awful things we find out about Jonas, he legitimately loved Rusty, not that it changes the fact that Jonas was a lovely parent of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

The red H.E.L.P.E.R.'s line specifically:

"Master Ben didn't just modify my electronics, he combined them with organics. I'm not a robot and I'm not a man. I am, in a way, like you."

I don't think that Rusty was necessarily a clone but Jonas was definitely up to something awful (:suicide:) with little Rusty. I was thinking maybe the robot was being literal and he's part cyborg but you'd think that Billy would've noticed that in the half-dozen times he's had to open up Doc.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

Strabo4 posted:

"Master Ben didn't just modify my electronics, he combined them with organics. I'm not a robot and I'm not a man. I am, in a way, like you."

I don't think that Rusty was necessarily a clone but Jonas was definitely up to something awful (:suicide:) with little Rusty. I was thinking maybe the robot was being literal and he's part cyborg but you'd think that Billy would've noticed that in the half-dozen times he's had to open up Doc.

He could have also been referring to Dean's residual nanobots from last season, though would they have stayed this long?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Stool Sample posted:

He could have also been referring to Dean's residual nanobots from last season, though would they have stayed this long?

This played a part in the first episode of this season, so yes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, shirt for this episode?

Old-school Helper ad?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Stool Sample posted:

Except that he's never heard of Dean before.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

Except that he's never heard of Dean before.

Or nanobots. Or that whole, entire series of events. How would the robot know that Dean had a few leftover microscopic robots inside of him? It couldn't even tell that it wasn't even talking to Rusty Venture.

Anyway... the robot actually explains what it meant by "I am, in a way, like you." After it realized that it didn't have to pretend like it didn't bring the subject up, Dean identifies the main thing that makes them different (Dean is a clone of his original self, but H.E.L.P.eR. 2 is a new entity), and H.E.L.P.eR. 2 finally says, "... we were both made by great men who were compelled by love and guilt; we are second chances." Not everything is literal; that would make for terrible dialogue and awful story telling. Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if the next thing someone "figures out" will be that Colonel Snoopy is actually Sandy Koufax.

Rand Brittain posted:

I was a little surprised to see Rusty working on this, since "I am done with all your poo poo" is his normal reaction to Guild nonsense, to the point that he isn't even afraid of them any longer, so it was nice to see that "being done with all this poo poo" was the skill that ultimately made him useful.

So was Hunter Gathers.

So... did the whole "you're ____ and calling it _____" routine the OSI guys were doing start to remind anyone else of the "sad tits" routine from a few seasons ago, especially as they kept coming up with more and more colorful metaphors?

Oh, and I just noticed that H.E.L.P.eR. 2's highlight reel tells the story of a family. Well, that I noticed on the first viewing, but the wife ends up having an affair with one of the men (presumably a married man) who attended the "adult birthday party" while her husband is passed out in the nearby chair.

And freeze framing on the papers yields some hilarity.

From the Daily City Guardian:

WEATHER TODAY
Sunny, More Humid
High, 85; Low, 78
TOMORROW
Probably the same?
High, 85; Low, 78

TODAY'S THINK THOUGHT
Old people drink less yet urinate more than the average teenager. Scientists say: "Weird, right?"

Jonas's quote: "So the baby is fine? What's all this then? What kind of nonsense am I responding to other than the obviously pointy world around us isn't baby safe."

Byline of the NEWS GLOBE: "PLEASE TRUST US THAT THIS IS MOST OF THE NEWS WE CAN FIND FROM ALL THE SOURCES WE CAN FIND."

Byline of the Town Eagle: "Soaring like a building that can fly," which makes sense given the logo, which is a building with wings.

What Jonas said about seals in the story of his rescue of some damsel in icy, watery distress is pretty good, too.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Butlerian Jihad because some baby had a chance of chocking.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gonna go out on a long limb here and predict Red Helper's organic parts are like, Jonas Venture's dad or someone else close, serving as a prototype for PROBLEM.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

Gonna go out on a long limb here and predict Red Helper's organic parts are like, Jonas Venture's dad or someone else close, serving as a prototype for PROBLEM.

It's Dr. Entmann!

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Strabo4 posted:

On the re-watch, I just realized his next line is quite significant - "We were both made by great men who were compelled by love and guilt. We are second chances."

Something must've happened to Rusty (or his mother) that forced Jonas to save him through some sort of super-science shenanigans. I'm pretty sure it must be referring to something involving the cloning tech but I suspect that it didn't go completely right for Jonas, hence JJ. I don't think Jonas cared enough to get the cloning perfect (because we're told in other episodes that Rusty was the one who perfected it), he just sorta rushed it and said "Good enough is!" when one embryo consumed the other. It would kinda explain too why Rusty cares about and was actually good at cloning if he has such a close personal connection.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Who the hell is Master Ben?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Way I see it, no matter all the awful things we find out about Jonas, he legitimately loved Rusty, not that it changes the fact that Jonas was a lovely parent of course

I'm suddenly very curious what your home life was like growing up if this is your takeaway from this series.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Rewatch the Halloween episode.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh did you not watch Season 5?

In the Halloween episode, Dean/Hank/Dermot goes to Potter's field on a dare. Dean ends up meeting Ben, one of the scientists who helped create the cloning device with Rusty's Dad and him. Ben is the one who dropped the bombshell on Dean that's he's a clone. I"m not suprised we didnt' get him because he was voiced by J.K. Simmons for that episode. Also I realized his name is Ben because Ben Reilly

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I could really go for some hot sweatpants right now

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Shindragon posted:

Oh did you not watch Season 5?

In the Halloween episode, Dean/Hank/Dermot goes to Potter's field on a dare. Dean ends up meeting Ben, one of the scientists who helped create the cloning device with Rusty's Dad and him. Ben is the one who dropped the bombshell on Dean that's he's a clone. I"m not suprised we didnt' get him because he was voiced by J.K. Simmons for that episode. Also I realized his name is Ben because Ben Reilly

Well poo poo, looks like I missed the Halloween episode completely. Good thing I have the 1-6 box set :D

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TBF, for some silly reason both the Halloween episode and "All This and Gargantua-2" are considered specials and not regular episodes and do not show up in the regular episode listings, despite being two of the more important plot episodes of the series.

And if I remember right, the special epilogue for Gargantua-2 was only made available later, despite being important. Also that silly Shallow Gravy special also includes an important plot point.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's a shame the Christmas special doesn't have anything important happening.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah... that Halloween special DID explain a lot.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
This series is so consistently great.

Quick minor question about the character introduced in this episode:

was it just me or did red helper have a tongue? I was watching on mobile and the quality wasn't great. Maybe it was just the inside of his mouth but when he talked...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I went back and re-watched an episode from season 6, specifically the season finale where that guild member and OSI agent first meet and fall in love. They have such a cute dynamic :unsmith: I really hope they work things out and that neither of them die this season, but I feel like the odds of that are pretty low :smith: especially since that guild guy is a mole.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It would be amazing to find out that the only reason we got Rusty over JJ is because Jonas was too cheap to spring for separate clone vats. Also, called it a while back - the reason the original Team Venture treated Rusty like dogshit is because they knew he was expendable/replaceable.

*click* Not today, Rusty. Not today.

So does Rusty just not remember the days when it was today?

Ajaxify fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 1, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It'll never work out. He had pee pee on his belt!!

E: Watching Operation: PROM again and the Rusty Venture explanations are way funnier bleeped.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

big dyke energy posted:

It'll never work out. He had pee pee on his belt!!

E: Watching Operation: PROM again and the Rusty Venture explanations are way funnier bleeped.

Brock's explanation is the best one specifically because it doesn't need to be bleeped like the others, also because it feels the closest to reaching the essence of Rusty Venture as a person

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I appreciated this episode, especially lore wise, but man it's the weakest I've seen in a while.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I was a little surprised to see Rusty working on this, since "I am done with all your poo poo" is his normal reaction to Guild nonsense, to the point that he isn't even afraid of them any longer, so it was nice to see that "being done with all this poo poo" was the skill that ultimately made him useful.

Nah, last season he was calling "the guild hotline" and working with the guild and OSI to catch the blue morpho, even if he was sometimes being a grump about it

Plus it feeds into Rusty's ego, of course he'd be into that!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Oh wow I forgot about that. Anyways great episode. I wonder if Jonas had anything to do with keeping Ben outside of Venture compound. Rusty being a clone makes sense seeing as JJ was the perfect clone of Jonas. Good to see Dermott back and hey a good excuse for him to show up more often cuz he’s OSI. I also agreed that Rusty was great at calling out the Guild and OSI on their bullshit. I can’t wait to see what they do next ep.

probably not, Jonas wouldn't give a poo poo about that sort of thing; my interpretation was that Ben just likes his privacy.

I hope you're saying that Rusty is a clone of Rusty, and not a clone of Jonas; during the Halloween episode Ben basically says that Rusty was conceived normally, but he worked with Jonas on genetic engineering in order to cure the particularly big boo-boos that the boy adventurers got

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was surprised that Dermott has outright joined the OSI as a grunt, but it makes a kind of sense. Dermott despite his own kind of immaturity and bluster has a lot more life skills and realistic outlook than the other Venture boys, and enlisting in the OSI is both a traditional trailer trash means of social mobility and a way that Dermott can get involved in the family business from the ground up while actually getting the proper training. He was probably brought along to the summit specifically because he knew the area, presuming Hunter knows his background. (and I don't see why he wouldn't)

And on Rusty, him successfully mediating between the Guild and OSI actually isn't without precedent, he's acted as a mediator and voice of reason with the super-spies and super-villains before, reminded of when he wakes up from being possessed and immediately takes charge as touch football has gotten Dean covered in ants, or the cocktail party he successfully hosted between both of them last season. He is indeed completely over the whole shebang, has a dim view on morality and holds the Guild and OSI in equal contempt, and both of them are familiar with with Rusty to know that he's unlikely to favour one over the other. Interestingly, Hunter seems to treat Rusty with a lot more respect now.

And while we're on Rusty, I think it's meant to be ambiguous what exactly the circumstances are around what Helper 2 was referring to about Rusty's origins. I think Helper 2 did indeed go with the clone explanation rather than tell the full truth, and as a result Dean has assumed that his father was a clone as well, but is likely not exactly on the mark.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was surprised that Dermott has outright joined the OSI as a grunt, but it makes a kind of sense. Dermott despite his own kind of immaturity and bluster has a lot more life skills and realistic outlook than the other Venture boys, and enlisting in the OSI is both a traditional trailer trash means of social mobility and a way that Dermott can get involved in the family business from the ground up while actually getting the proper training. He was probably brought along to the summit specifically because he knew the area, presuming Hunter knows his background. (and I don't see why he wouldn't)

Dermott did say his dad pulled some strings so that he could join

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have a feeling they might address Rusty being Dermott's dad this season. Why else allude to it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cojawfee posted:

I have a feeling they might address Rusty being Dermott's dad this season. Why else allude to it?

I'm pretty sure everyone that matters knows at this point. Rusty knew from the start exactly who Dermott was, and it really explains a lot of his treatment of him. Al and Orpheus know because of the spell they cast on the key. The OSI knows because Rusty called in a favor to get Dermott a spot. Hank and Dean are the only ones that don't know at this point. Dean would probably just shrug it off and bury it since he's just trying to distance himself from everything. Hank would probably just be like "cool!" since he wouldn't have to know about he and his dad being eskimo brothers.

edit: I was also definitely wrong earlier. I misread the situation and on second watch it clicked. I still think the original Rusty was born, though. While Dean is talking to helper 2 he explicitly says he knows he's a clone of himself. H2 doesn't correct him, so that means there was an original Rusty. He isn't a clone of Jonas.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 1, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I thought the boys might know because Dermott outright called Rusty 'dad' at the end of one episode, implying Dermott himself has figured it out. Though the boys might not have known what he meant. (though Rusty certainly did)

I am surprised that Rusty could pull that kind of favour with the OSI, but maybe he provides them technology though VenTech? And besides, the OSI is probably badly in need of manpower between the recent conflicts and Red Death's massacre.

On that note, interesting how the implication this episode is that the Guild is worried about a mole from the Peril Partnership, as is the OSI implicitly. Likely that, since it's out that the Sovereign pinning Movie Night on SPHINX led to the OSI leaving the Guild practically entirely unmolested for years while wiping out one of their biggest competition, and now that the Guild is on weak footing it's the perfect time for a rival in villainy to return the favour. And as much as the OSI has been stepping things up against the Guild, they still seem to prefer to be able to play by the rules.

Interesting that two of the points of argument are about protagonists overescalating and the jurisdiction of 'mad' scientists, which seem relevant to this show.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 1, 2018

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Rusty didn't know about Dermott's parentage from the start; he only found out at the end of the Shallow Gravy short.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pope Guilty posted:

Rusty didn't know about Dermott's parentage from the start; he only found out at the end of the Shallow Gravy short.

That's right! If you haven't seen it, https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6iyb8v

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's right! If you haven't seen it, https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6iyb8v

I love that the Monarch basically gladly admits to arching Shallow Gravy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You know, given that Jonas, Sr. came up with the tradition of the pool fight, I get the impression his style of negotiation was fairly similar to Rusty's.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jonas Sr WAS used to managing a gang of testosterone-poisoned lunatics every day and all.

But it does seem like acting like a grumpy dad who's had enough of your poo poo is one of the only ways to reliably manage super-weirdos. Hell, look at Hunter Gathers.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

You know, given that Jonas, Sr. came up with the tradition of the pool fight, I get the impression his style of negotiation was fairly similar to Rusty's.

I don't think so. They both saw the clash between the guild and OSI in the same light, but Jonas couldn't give a drat about them so he had them settle their differences in a way that matched the way they acted as Jonas was never really a Dad to Rusty. Rusty on the other hand having raised both Hank and Dean at least understands how to properly handle children squabbling so in the long run the deal they just set up should actually lead to a more long term solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jonas Sr WAS used to managing a gang of testosterone-poisoned lunatics every day and all.
Does it count when at least one of those was poisoned by Jonas himself? We know that the Action Man had to go to rehab because of whatever soldier juice Jonas gave him and if Hatred's experience with a similar serum is anything to go by, they tend to significantly increase the subject's aggressiveness and decrease their capacity for empathy.