Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fruit on the bottom posted:

Lmao who is saying this besides you?

Proud gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

Half Life isnt a cinematic game, it has a few scripted sequences but nothing like the hoop jumping in the sequel

Actually my analysis indicates it is extremely cinematic. Cinematic = non-fixed camera.

The Dennis System posted:

There’s no defense for Xen though.

Xen was the saving grace of Half-Life, a throwback to the pure age of video games such as Sokoban and Myst - when reflexes and Gamer skills were rated over "graphics" and storytelling.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 1, 2018

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

steinrokkan posted:

Cinematic = non-fixed camera.

Huh? I don't see how.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cinematic comes from kinema, which means movement. Check, mate, another victory for Real gamers.

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

Only acceptable rpg classes are ranger, rogue or fighter

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Half Life 2 has the best shotgun in any video game that was made +/- ten years from its release.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
40k is nothing but dreck and always has been and every game that uses the IP is much shittier for it.

Also Post Scriptum, Squad, and Project Reality are all walking simulators.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Undertale < Underrail

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

steinrokkan posted:

Undertale < Underrail

Underrail is super cool up until the Deep Caverns, the point where the devs decided that the game should suck rear end.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tropico 4 and 5 are just tropico 3 DLC and I'll never buy another game from them again as long as the soundtrack is just those same 5 songs

tropico 3 had promise but they failed to improve or build upon it meaningfully

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

poverty goat posted:

tropico 4 and 5 are just tropico 3 DLC and I'll never buy another game from them again as long as the soundtrack is just those same 5 songs

tropico 3 had promise but they failed to improve or build upon it meaningfully

Tropico 1 was good though. Such a focused and original little game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

oh dope posted:

Underrail is super cool up until the Deep Caverns, the point where the devs decided that the game should suck rear end.

wise devs

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Half life did that really annoying poo poo where it doesn't take control away from you, but it puts your character in a box while someone talks at you and you can't do anything but walk around in the box until they finish vomiting exposition at you. Way worse than skippable cutscenes, imo; just as bad as unskippable cutscenes tho

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

hackbunny posted:

I'm surprised at how quickly Half-Life dropped out of collective gamer consciousness because it's my go-to example of game that blended story and gameplay really well. that, and level 2 of Metal Slug 3 that manages to tell a whole sci-fi horror story without a single word, entirely through level design

e: the music kicks rear end too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m83vMugiWY&t=226s

you have the crashed plane, the civilian zombies, then the enemy encampment, the dig site, and the batshit boss fight

I never understood how people had the patience to no death run that game. The final mission on it's own is as long as the entire first game.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

it is truly dumb to claim that half-life led developers to want to make video games more cinematic (seriously, that is untrue and and an unbelievably stupid thing to say)
really? an unbelievably stupid thing to say?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the fact that the xbox one still exists and apparently occasionally sells a console despite the astoundingly unacceptable hardware failure rate of the 360 and the crib death of hd-dvd is proof positive of how loving stupid ~gamers~ are

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

FoolyCharged posted:

I never understood how people had the patience to no death run that game. The final mission on it's own is as long as the entire first game.

it's tool assisted and you can see the guy getting fed up with the final boss and not even pretending to dodge some attacks

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

steinrokkan posted:

Xen was the saving grace of Half-Life, a throwback to the pure age of video games such as Sokoban and Myst - when reflexes and Gamer skills were rated over "graphics" and storytelling.

:thunk:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

food court bailiff posted:

the fact that the xbox one still exists and apparently occasionally sells a console despite the astoundingly unacceptable hardware failure rate of the 360 and the crib death of hd-dvd is proof positive of how loving stupid ~gamers~ are

The "three year warranty for everyone" thing is what made it I think. If they had just said "welp all the consoles we sold are exploding, sucks to be you!" then yeah nobody should ever have bought from them again. But they didn't.

My experience was positive. I bought a 360, didn't get an extra warranty or anything like that. Probably two and half years later it red-ringed. I called them up, and without any hassle they sent me a prepaid shipping box to send it back for repairs. I got it back a week later, working perfectly. I didn't pay a dime for the repair or the shipping, and they didn't put me through any hassle or give me any grief in the slightest. They also included a note saying that I had an additional year warranty post-repair in case the unit acted up again. I never had another problem with it, it was still working fine when I got my XBONE.

Companies can gently caress up, but it's all about how they respond. They messed up pretty bad, but they owned up to their mistakes and took the responsibility on themselves to make it right. People can respect that.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I always just buy Asus parts because they never fail, but if you're going to waste your money on garbage electronics you might as well get a good warranty I guess

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JebanyPedal posted:

That game was good as poo poo back in the day. They came out with some busted rear end remaster not too long ago.
What did you feel was busted about it? Other than when Fae Rahn's temple slowly sinks into the ground without any explosions or other effects I feel the devs did a pretty good job with guzzing it up.

On another note, I miss the time when British gaming mags dedicated to specific platforms would constantly poo poo on the competition.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

This is the wrongest any copywriter has ever been.

vv no, there were no good N64 games not made by Nintendo vv

Dross fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 1, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Was Castlevania 64 even any good?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Half-Life evolved the whole genre. A consequence of that of course though, is that subsequent FPS titles aped a lot of the good things about HL1 (to this day) until most of it wasn't seen as special anymore. That and mods stealing a lot of the spotlight - like Counter-Strike which became the most popular game in the world and somehow still is super popular

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Half-Life was rad because it was probably the last time everyone on PC was playing the same game.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

steinrokkan posted:

Cinematic comes from kinema, which means movement. Check, mate, another victory for Real gamers.

You are not only wrong about half-life but about "kinema" as well. It's simply an alternate spelling of cinema that was used in the mid 20th century by the UK and Germany.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

1redflag posted:

Half life did that really annoying poo poo where it doesn't take control away from you, but it puts your character in a box while someone talks at you and you can't do anything but walk around in the box until they finish vomiting exposition at you. Way worse than skippable cutscenes, imo; just as bad as unskippable cutscenes tho

What are you talking about? There are literally only two of these type of sequences in the game:

1) After the event
2)The ending.

Every other set piece doesn't take control away from the player at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The 20 minute long train ride at the start doesn't take away control from the player technically.

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS

Zzulu posted:

Half-Life evolved the whole genre. A consequence of that of course though, is that subsequent FPS titles aped a lot of the good things about HL1 (to this day) until most of it wasn't seen as special anymore. That and mods stealing a lot of the spotlight - like Counter-Strike which became the most popular game in the world and somehow still is super popular

At least the story is still pretty good.
I'm still making a lot of people who have never played HL love it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Halflife 3 is going to suck

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

poverty goat posted:

Halflife 3 is going to suck

It's a shame arkane's half life project fell through, they're probably one of the few studios capable of making a good one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sardonik posted:

It's a shame arkane's half life project fell through, they're probably one of the few studios capable of making a good one.

Speaking of Arkane.
They're like mirror universe Bethesda, they make ONLY great games.

Literally every single one of their games are great and still hold up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Seriously is there a good dungeon crawler Wizardry clone for IOS? That kind of slow game would work great with a touch interface.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I like Castlevania.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Arkane couldn't make a Half-Life 3 that would libe up to the name. They barely did so with System Shock. The closest developer would be the ones who do the Metro games and even then they would be far. Valve was arguably the greatest developer in existence a decade ago and only rivaled by Nintendo's top tier efforts.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dross posted:

Ogre battle 64 was dope

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lol this is the video game equivalent of that guy who gave the seahawk's 2012 draft an F grade.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dross posted:

Extreme g

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Black Mesa is a bad HL remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shibawanko posted:

Black Mesa is a bad HL remake

I modded the guards to be less hitscan terminator and tweaked the jumping and it was decent. Have they done Xen yet?