Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Nuclear War posted:

I have this one if anyone's interested

Mods tacitly approved

Alternatively pm yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Why arabs lose wars. Good read, makes generalisations but is self aware and cautionary when it does so, and from what I've heard from people closer to the issue pretty close to being on point.

e: you can't just say it's down to the internal politics of dictatorships, especially as we're talking about a failure to implement Soviet armed forces doctrine.

This article is pretty poo poo btw

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, if that's a thing you want to do 03A3s are pretty easy to get and not all that expensive.

nah, I honestly don't have any interest in owning a gun so much as getting a real close forgotten-weapons-style look at them if they're neat/old guns.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
If you've never gone to a gun store and got charcoal rubbings of the markings while the clerk wasn't looking then I don't know that you're doing with your life.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

TropicalCoke posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict-David-W-Lesch/dp/0195172302

I read this book in college. My professor wrote it, Dr. David Lesch. He was also Assad's personal biographer up until he started killing his own citizens. He knew a lot of people high up in the Syrian and Israeli governments. I remember it being a good primer, at the very least.

Sounds good, just bought it, wish it was on kindle. Why are all the good history books not on kindle and/or super god drat rare and expensive?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

FAUXTON posted:

nah, I honestly don't have any interest in owning a gun so much as getting a real close forgotten-weapons-style look at them if they're neat/old guns.

I have a Webley revolver, an SMLE III* upgraded from MkIII, and a bayonet for the rifle, made in 1916, '15, and March '18, respectively. Pretty sure all of them have put a hole in a German at one time or another.

I'll make a.video in the morning if you want.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

the JJ posted:

This article is pretty poo poo btw

God forbid you elaborate on this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The quality of the writing is pretty poo poo for what supposed to be an academic article. It's all backed up by anecdote rather than serious quantitative analysis. It does however reflect the conventional viewpoint from the perspective of the West.

It's worth noting that the Red Army (and Russian successor) made a conscious decision to reject Western-style Auftragstaktik. It works for them, but only because they've deliberately built an alternative.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Pretty sure all of them have put a hole in a German at one time or another.

Cool!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks! I had actually already read those via google searching (I was pretty impressed with them, almost all the tank sites I've found looking into this stuff out of a casual interest are, like, partisan, to say the least, and it influences their writing) and they made me want to seek out maybe a documentary or a single longer source, particularly something with some pictures or video.

I'm on kind of an interest bender vis-a-vis technological innovations in WW2, I studied European history and Marxism in the early 20th century for my degree but more or less ignored all of the military aspects of WWI and the interwar, focusing on other stuff instead. I mean I took enough classes to know the broad outlines and read Antony Beevor and stuff but its really fascinating to me how many different permutations new technologies had emerged between 1900-1950.

Also I was wondering if anyone had any detailed sources about armaments and stuff that made their way into the hands of Spartacists and Freikorps in 1919 because I saw a cool picture of some fascist shitheads with a WWI Fiat armored car stolen from the Russians (I think), with a non-totenkopf skull and crossbones on it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The Russian White Army used the skull and crossbones quite extensively, so it might have been them.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

One time we went to the range with DFW Goons with the SMLE, and InediblePenguin cooked a hot dog using the bayonet (mounted on the rifle) as a spit. IP joked "probably not the first time it's been stuck through a Frankfurter."

Edit re skulls: much like the swastika and black suits with silver trim, the totenkopf was an old thing coopted by the Nazis to make them seem legit. It's an old Prussian/HRE thing. Somebody post that photo of the princess dressed up in the uniform of the regiment she nominally commanded, with a very prominent what-would-eventually-be-the-SS-logo on her hat.

Edit again: found it.

That was in 1910.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 1, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Chillbro Baggins posted:

One time we went to the range with DFW Goons with the SMLE, and InediblePenguin cooked a hot dog using the bayonet (mounted on the rifle) as a spit. IP joked "probably not the first time it's been stuck through a Frankfurter."

This is also a normal thing to say because I LOVE death!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Chillbro Baggins posted:

That was in 1910.

The Brunswick Hussars did the black uniform/skull thing at Waterloo:

Nazis ruin everything.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! I had actually already read those via google searching (I was pretty impressed with them, almost all the tank sites I've found looking into this stuff out of a casual interest are, like, partisan, to say the least, and it influences their writing) and they made me want to seek out maybe a documentary or a single longer source, particularly something with some pictures or video.

I'm on kind of an interest bender vis-a-vis technological innovations in WW2, I studied European history and Marxism in the early 20th century for my degree but more or less ignored all of the military aspects of WWI and the interwar, focusing on other stuff instead. I mean I took enough classes to know the broad outlines and read Antony Beevor and stuff but its really fascinating to me how many different permutations new technologies had emerged between 1900-1950.

Also I was wondering if anyone had any detailed sources about armaments and stuff that made their way into the hands of Spartacists and Freikorps in 1919 because I saw a cool picture of some fascist shitheads with a WWI Fiat armored car stolen from the Russians (I think), with a non-totenkopf skull and crossbones on it.

Aircraft are wild for this. It took about a decade after World War 2 for the world to fully process all the innovation that happened.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Edit re skulls: much like the swastika and black suits with silver trim, the totenkopf was an old thing coopted by the Nazis to make them seem legit. It's an old Prussian/HRE thing. Somebody post that photo of the princess dressed up in the uniform of the regiment she nominally commanded, with a very prominent what-would-eventually-be-the-SS-logo on her hat.

That was in 1910.

Who is she?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia. Daughter of Kaiser Wilhelm.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

spectralent posted:

Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia. Daughter of Kaiser Wilhelm.

hat wearer

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I have a Webley revolver, an SMLE III* upgraded from MkIII, and a bayonet for the rifle, made in 1916, '15, and March '18, respectively. Pretty sure all of them have put a hole in a German at one time or another.

I'm not sure you're quite getting this, but this is kind of an off thing to say. Those Germans were human beings too. We aren't even talking about World War 2, so it's not even possible that they're, like, SS.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
It's called gallows humor. Soldiers, firefighters, EMTs, and photojournalists deal with death in ways that seem callous to normal people.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sorry. Phone posting but the article has come up before. It's Orientalist poo poo. The Egyptians were successful in using deception to cross the Suez because their culture is subtle and indirect. It's Jordan Peterson style faux academics wrapping a stupid package.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'm kind of interested in the breakdown of the Snow and Sand one, if someone's read it (and if it's any better).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Chillbro Baggins posted:

It's called gallows humor. Soldiers, firefighters, EMTs, and photojournalists deal with death in ways that seem callous to normal people.

Are you any of those things?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chillbro Baggins posted:

That was in 1910.

Is this the lady that you can reform the Holy Roman Empire in HoI 4 with?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is this the lady that you can reform the Holy Roman Empire in HoI 4 with?

yes

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

feedmegin posted:

I'm not sure you're quite getting this, but this is kind of an off thing to say. Those Germans were human beings too. We aren't even talking about World War 2, so it's not even possible that they're, like, SS.

how dare he make a joke about killing people in this, the military history thread.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you any of those things?
he's a professional photographer iirc, so yes

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Frog Act posted:

That source is also partisan, at one point there was stuff about Soviet Union not having invaded the Baltic countries.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

how dare he make a joke about killing people in this, the military history thread.

The thing is, it's hard for any private person to give a non-suspicious explanation to collecting guns. But when a gun collector masturbates to the thought that their pieces might have been used to take life out of human beings, it becomes really creepy very fast, and makes you wonder if the person is fit to own weapons and if you should report them to some authority or another.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nenonen posted:

The thing is, it's hard for any private person to give a non-suspicious explanation to collecting guns. But when a gun collector masturbates to the thought that their pieces might have been used to take life out of human beings, it becomes really creepy very fast, and makes you wonder if the person is fit to own weapons and if you should report them to some authority or another.

You're reading way too much into this

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Iron Rose posted:

You're reading way too much into this

nah

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cessna posted:

The Brunswick Hussars did the black uniform/skull thing at Waterloo:

Nazis ruin everything.

These guys were pretty much a drat legion of Germans/Non Germans towards their end in 1815 with lancers, infantry and even light infantry. All they were missing were cannons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nenonen posted:

The thing is, it's hard for any private person to give a non-suspicious explanation to collecting guns.

Lol no it isn’t. “They’re fun to shoot at paper and having a bunch of types for different uses is fun” is the shooter explanation “I find the different mechanics interesting” is the tech geek answer and “i find think he history behind them neat” is they history geek answer.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If they have a sadly out of control untreated mental illness or gravitate towards extremist right wing politics that is when you should worry.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol no it isn’t. “They’re fun to shoot at paper and having a bunch of types for different uses is fun” is the shooter explanation “I find the different mechanics interesting” is the tech geek answer and “i find think he history behind them neat” is they history geek answer.
"old metal has the prettiest color ever, and i find buffing and oiling it soothing"

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Indi Neidell's (The Great War channel) WW2 project has launched today. It'll follow WW2 week by week for the next 6 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-A1gVm9T0A

Although it is a different production team behind the project so he's the only person from TGW team working on it as far as I know.

Due to it being a new crew behind the scenes they are on a but of a tight budget for the first few months until money starts rolling in, when they can move to animated maps and better video editing and archival searching, much like how the great war channel has improved over the last 4 years, take a look at this recent episode to see the quality difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88fJG3pmzc4

So subscribe and get ready to tune in for 10 minute weekly videos over the next 6 years if youtube still exists by then.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

"old metal has the prettiest color ever, and i find buffing and oiling it soothing"

Just got a 16th century Japanese short sword for cheap because of defects collectors get up in arms about and giving it a rub down was legit relaxing.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Regarding military effectiveness of Arab armies I would recommend Arabs at war even if it was written by a Neocon https://www.amazon.com/Arabs-War-Military-Effectiveness-1948-1991/dp/0803287836 . It was quite a while since I read it but it avoids general orientalism and points out that most of the arab armies described were good at the following:

- Logistics(Libya during the toyota war being especially impressive)
- The strategic planning was solid
- The individual soldiers were very brave

However the problem mostly arouse from the politicized officer corps which led to the following issues:

- Commanders in the field not being allowed to take initiatives of their own
- Bad tactical leadership
- Enlisted men and NCOs not being treated especially well
- Officers hoarding the technical expertise

In general the issues mostly stem from the countries being military dictatorships.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just got a 16th century Japanese short sword for cheap because of defects collectors get up in arms about and giving it a rub down was legit relaxing.
i love just like...staring at it

you can get 16th and 17th c european swords for like $300 if you go on czech websites and don't mind if they're beaten up

then there's this dude, who has a shamshir made in isfahan and (probably) sold to poland

https://imgur.com/gallery/rCxnYt5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

i love just like...staring at it

you can get 16th and 17th c european swords for like $300 if you go on czech websites and don't mind if they're beaten up

Shoot me some links