Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The shower change is pretty great, my last play through there felt like a real major morale slump on the early side of the mid game. You get past the survival level morale requirements and then hit a rough patch until you get closer to end-game solutions like high end food and enough power for things like the jukebot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

volts5000 posted:

Sorry. It's a vent.

If it's hot it's not much use then, there isn't really a shortage of carbon dioxide usually - you even have to dispose of lots produced by generators.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

enraged_camel posted:

:siren:Water purifier no longer magically deletes heat.:siren:

Awesome. I'm very happy about this.

Also, showers are now useful - dupes require a shower after waking up, and showering gives a morale boost.

Other than that, lots of new buildings and other things. Good stuff.

Yeah from what I rad, then H2O and P2O have the same thermal capacity instead of P2O's old, absurd 6J/g. However it sounds like the water sieve still outputs water at a fixed 40C which seems a bit frustrating.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Where can I find a list of all the new stuff without getting the test branch? It sounds cool so far but I want to wait for the proper release to actually use it.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 24, 2018

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

BattleMaster posted:

Where can I find a list of all the new stuff without getting the test branch? It sounds cool so far but I want to wait for the proper release to actually use it.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/94757-rocketry-upgrade-testing-branch-now-open-game-update-282822/

So I have a minor question. When I start a game one of the first things I do is build a water tank and drain all the clean water from the starter biome into it.

Then later I want to replace the tiles with abyssalite for insulation. What's the best way to do that without losing water? I've been building a second layer around the tank replacing all the tiles then removing the outer layer.

I generally only have to do this once so it's not too bad, but I'm looking for ideas.

Travic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 24, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Travic posted:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/94757-rocketry-upgrade-testing-branch-now-open-game-update-282822/

So I have a minor question. When I start a game one of the first things I do is build a water tank and drain all the clean water from the starter biome into it.

Then later I want to replace the tiles with abyssalite for insulation. What's the best way to do that without losing water? I've been building a second layer around the tank replacing all the tiles then removing the outer layer.

I generally only have to do this once so it's not too bad, but I'm looking for ideas.

You can build a second, permanent basin and drain the water into that. That’s what I do.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

enraged_camel posted:

You can build a second, permanent basin and drain the water into that. That’s what I do.

Ok. But nothing that keeps the tank in place?

When the dupes build a tile underwater does it displace the water or destroy it? I've used it to destroy polluted water in my clean tank before, but then sometimes I'll replace a bunch of tiles at once, and it doesn't look like any water has been destroyed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Gonna ignore the new rocket stuff, seems way too complicated for me, but I'm certainly interested in the new storage options.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm collecting early-game hacks (some from this thread, some from the Discord.) This is not the same as all the "how to start ONI as a beginner" half-finished guides; it's stuff you only learn when you've played the game a lot of times and discover speedups/ways to make the middle game more practical.

* Dig all your water together.
* Dig a sump for carbon dioxide to drain into. DO NOT put this sump immediately under the ladders unless you like having dupes gasping for breath every time they hit the bottom of the ladder.
* Put your dirty water in another sump so you can filter it later.
* Two tiles on each side of the Printing Pod have enough light to grow bristleberries. Move the food storage elsewhere and don't put the battery/generator/research station in those squares.
* Two (ish) compost heaps per four toilets. Put a door between them and the toilets to avoid decor hits.

Argue with these? Suggest more?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I thought it had enough light for 3 per side?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does it? Even more awesome.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Two on one side three on another

However it’s actually better to build your barracks around the portal because it gives a massive decor bonus as well. If you use its light for berries the decor is wasted

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
But they only visit the barracks once a day? If you want the decor bonus, put it near the hamster wheel, science machine, microbe musher.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
yeah I make it part of my early game all purpose area. I kind of think you're meant to do that

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm collecting early-game hacks (some from this thread, some from the Discord.) This is not the same as all the "how to start ONI as a beginner" half-finished guides; it's stuff you only learn when you've played the game a lot of times and discover speedups/ways to make the middle game more practical.

* Dig all your water together.
* Dig a sump for carbon dioxide to drain into. DO NOT put this sump immediately under the ladders unless you like having dupes gasping for breath every time they hit the bottom of the ladder.
* Put your dirty water in another sump so you can filter it later.
* Two tiles on each side of the Printing Pod have enough light to grow bristleberries. Move the food storage elsewhere and don't put the battery/generator/research station in those squares.
* Two (ish) compost heaps per four toilets. Put a door between them and the toilets to avoid decor hits.

Argue with these? Suggest more?

I would add more stuff for decor/stress/morale. I don't feel my guide is 'half finished' in case you were referring to the Easy Peasy guide I did, it wasn't supposed to be a whole game guide, just something to get someone who had no clue what to do to get started.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you, and it certainly read that way. I apologize. I was thinking of all the abandoned guides on Steam, not yours. Yours does exactly what it promises to do.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you, and it certainly read that way. I apologize. I was thinking of all the abandoned guides on Steam, not yours. Yours does exactly what it promises to do.

Thanks, I'm always open to suggestions as well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lorini posted:

Thanks, I'm always open to suggestions as well.
I think I have mastered (ha!) the basics of the early game, but I'm stumped by the middle. Suddenly it is RESOURCE MANAGEMENT TIME and I am floundering and trying to keep notes for myself. Knowing how to optimize the early game can help me with that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think I have mastered (ha!) the basics of the early game, but I'm stumped by the middle. Suddenly it is RESOURCE MANAGEMENT TIME and I am floundering and trying to keep notes for myself. Knowing how to optimize the early game can help me with that.

So you're going to write that one right?? :) Optimization is past Easy Peasy and I don't play with stress or germs so I don't feel qualified to write it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lorini posted:

So you're going to write that one right?? :) Optimization is past Easy Peasy and I don't play with stress or germs so I don't feel qualified to write it.

I have a draft in Google Docs of what I know so far but I'm still struggling with the middle game! But yeah, I'm on it, and I'll put it out for review once I think I have a decent draft.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thanks.

I binged through over 100 hours of the game during the update before the Expressive update and burnt out a little. The Expressive update wasn't enough to bring me back, but this looks pretty great.

One thing I hope they do is adjust bunker doors to match the size of rockets so you can build nice-looking rocket silos.

edit: if the next update adds radiators for sinking heat into space, removes the magical cooling stuff like wheezeworts, rebalances heating/cooling equipment, and adds a few more things to fill in the holes I'll have almost everything I want now (except a nuclear reactor)

What's cool about the space expeditions is they don't necessarily even have to add new resources like nuclear fuel to existing biomes, but instead could make it so you have to bring it back from space. Nuclear reactors built with uranium from space using steam turbines to generate power and space radiators as a heat sink would be cool as an endgame energy source

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 24, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rocket update does indeed sound great. I'm currently out of town but will definitely give it a shot when I get back next week. They should have ironed out some of the bugs by then too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Somebody posted this picture ages ago and I still had it bookmarked.

But yeah, I agree you should use what the Portal provides otherwise. If you are new to the game and you want to go past Mush Bars and Mealwood tho, it's pretty nifty.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I love the Weeping Angels all up and down the stairs.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is there any real difference between statues and paintings? I tend to use paintings a lot more because they're only 2 high.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
They're also two wide!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yeah, I use statues in bathrooms because they're only a tile wide and you can't put paintings above outhouses or lavatories.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Ugh!

I figured out a good use for the carbon dioxide vent. I have it empty into an insulated room and make it a slickster farm.

So, I need a critter trap to transport them...but I have started exploiting the oil biome
So, I build a polymer press...but I need petroleum...and it get hot...and emits steam...and vents CO2
Fine, so I build it in the nearest ice biome, then I build an oil refinery next to it...but it emits natural gas...and I'm not sure my transformer can handle it...gently caress!

I hate this game and love it at the same time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My carbon dioxide emitters for slicksters are coal generators. Tons more useful.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anyone get the gas storage to work? Tried it in sandbox mode and it would not work.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Electricity is hard :(

The left part isnt receiving power. But why?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Demolish the wire connecting to the right side of the plate and try again. Heavi watt plate/wire connectivity is real touchy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If I have the option set that my dupes can't ever get sick from germs, I don't need to worry about sending them into polluted O2 or mining out the slime biome, right?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

If I have the option set that my dupes can't ever get sick from germs, I don't need to worry about sending them into polluted O2 or mining out the slime biome, right?

correct

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Nektu posted:

Electricity is hard :(

The left part isnt receiving power. But why?

I had a similar problem, turned out I used a heavy conductive joint plate by mistake, the art is so close I never noticed the difference.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Well, I just had to reload my game and the wire was conneted.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Hey guys! I've been running through new maps like crazy and running into all different types of geysers/vents/volcanos. My current one, so far, has two cool steam, natural gas, polluted oxygen vent, and water geyser. What's your opinion on how to best utilize each geyser/vent/volcano? I ran into a CO2 vent in my last map. I was thinking of a slickster farm, but never got to it. The only thing I can think of for the polluted oxygen vent is a puft farm. What do y'all think?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pufts are annoying to herd so I'd just go the lazy and boring route and put deodorizers around the geyser and then cool and pipe the clean oxygen somewhere it's useful.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Is there an easy way to identify AETNs in the map overview of the screenshot mode? Because ti sure looks as if my map does not have any, which is impossible afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

No, they are almost always fully buried in ice/snow.