Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The ideal interest rate is the one that gives me all your money forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DrPossum posted:

pretty sure working on science experiments doing fundamental research isn't capitalism

Having done a PhD I can confirm it absolutely is

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Lol the compound intrest formula leads directly to exponential growth, the most capitalist of math concepts

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

comedyblissoption posted:

Many societies have historically banned loans with interest of any kind including under religious and moral pretexts.

Today, you get this stupid loving dreck being printed in the mainstream passing as insightful:
https://www.businessinsider.com/compound-interest-is-responsible-for-modern-civilization-2013-6

quote:

The reason compound interest has is so revered is because the compounding property means you can either profit immensely or owe a massive debt.

Compound interest made agriculture possible and became a crucial part of humans forming cities.

P U R E I D E O L O G Y

quote:

The guilt moneylenders felt due to their relationship to usury funded one of the most significant events in western civilization.

:thunk:

quote:

The main opposition to compound interest — usury — was the notion that it was a way for the rich, who had capital, to indebt the poor, who didn't, and extract egregious sums from that.

That's a pretty valid concern, but pragmatically speaking the concerns of an emerging bourgeoisie quickly began to trump the concerns of the religious who were concerned with taking advantage of the poor.

gently caress this poo poo is PURE

quote:

70% of Americans go to college and 60% use loans. The reason capital is available is lenders make money from compound interest.

dying of overdose

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Sep 1, 2018

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Memento posted:

adults who get tattoos generally do so because they spend a lot of time beforehand thinking about them and confirming to themselves that they're for life

In short,

There are definitely people who regret their tattoos later, hence tattoo removal is a thing

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Sep 1, 2018

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

DrPossum posted:

pretty sure working on science experiments doing fundamental research isn't capitalism

Considering whether or not you can hold a job in modern academic science research consists of how much total grant money you can get that the university automatically takes 50% of and not the quality of your research or educating ability it absolutely is.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/06/peter-higgs-boson-academic-system

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

actionjackson posted:

There are definitely people who regret their tattoos later, hence tattoo removal is a thing

The ratio of tattoo keepers vs tattoo removers is pretty significant.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you get a tattoo and then have it removed, it is de facto a temporary tattoo like the ones you got from A-Team bubble gum packets or something, only it cost hundreds if not thousands to both make and remove. :thunk:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you get a tattoo and then have it removed, it is de facto a temporary tattoo like the ones you got from A-Team bubble gum packets or something, only it cost hundreds if not thousands to both make and remove. :thunk:

You're my favorite thing in these threads, Jerry.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Every tattoo is temporary tho :colbert:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did you get a mr T tat? :allears:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Did you get a mr T tat? :allears:

I think I had one of the van and then my mum scrubbed it off.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think I had one of the van and then my mum scrubbed it off.

T-town is like 19 million years to the north buddy!

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When your skin rots off all that's left is a monster logo tattoo you got when you were 16

Your mummified remains will be studied for years

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Getting this bad boy on my chest

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
FREE MARKET!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DrPossum posted:

And living at the South Pole sure the gently caress ain't part time, buster.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At least you can actually legit work at the South Pole. You’d have to have a roving office at the North Pole, that poo poo always moves around.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dr Incel will see you now.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

The capitalism.png thing about tattoos is that lots of people literally pay money to permanently brand themselves with corporate brands.

Makes sense, i guess because a lot of the history of tattoos was that they were used to brand slaves. :shrug:

Pretty much this. I'm a chef and a punk rocker, and a way I generally tell how much of a poser they are by the extent of their tattoo's. Especially michelin chefs that I run into sometimes. It's just like, your loving mommy bought you those tattoos when you were taking a break from cooking school where you really only learned how to stick your nose up when someone's trying to look you in the eye. I loving hate servers, but I understand how they have the money to burn on tattoos. When a cook/chef is covered in tattoos? Unless they're getting stick and pokes or maybe have a friend with a tattoo gun, it's rubs me suspicious. Sometimes people ask me where my tattoos are when I say I'm into punk, and it's like, I got into punk because I like nonconformity and now it's conformity in some ways to get tattoos.

Intelligence is obviously not linked to tattoos, but they're definitely status symbols that say "I had a few hundred dollars and a few hours to wait for art to be put on my arm." I don't have a few extra hundred dollars, and if I had the loving money to waste I'd travel across the country to visit my family that I miss, a lot.

One of the 2-star michelin kitchens I've worked in (washing dishes for a temp agency, getting paid more per hour than the chefs) there was one chef who had a michelin star tattoo on the inside of his forearm. I forgot exactly how he phrased it, but I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines of me maybe wanting the autographs of the chefs there. This same shift, I was picking up some plates from where the servers drop them off, and I asked a server if he still needed a receipt that was on the plate. He said no, and as I was throwing it into the trash, I saw the bill was $3,000. I will never, ever forget that. Ever. I declined their offer to work on their line. Very nice chef, though. I wanted to ask her if she cares so much about the future, why are all the chefs in their kitchens serving the upper class? Why is there no general strike?

Tattoos are this counter-cultural thing that has become mainstream. I remember back in the 90's, if someone had a *single* tattoo, people would be like "whoaaa, he has a tattooooo." Now, it's like, soccer moms have full sleeves and face tattoos and poo poo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Whoa just got an idea for a great mixed drink.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

comedyblissoption posted:

Don't worry it's enough just to misinform students about compound interest.

If compound interest is even properly taught so that students can actually understand its calculation, it's taught as a virtuous financial instrument instead of an oppressive tool of debt slavery crushing debtors with debts that cannot be repaid. Our modern economic profession teaches the wonders of compound interest and how these debts should always be repaid and shame onto anyone who says otherwise. This is also our modern economic system in practice.

In ancient babylon, students were taught that compounding interest results in debts that cannot be repaid because actual material production does not compound in the way numbers on a piece of paper can.

My problem with how compound interest is taught is how they don't make the connection between the compound rate and real-life production compounding. They just treat the compound rate as some artificial number that can be played with in contracts to deceive borrowers.

For example I have $10 and instead of lending it I spend it on seeds to plant crops on 2% of my land. Then once I sell the crops I get $12, so at the moment I sold my crops would be the compound date for the loan I could have made with the $10. I could then buy more seeds with the $12, and then make $14.40 on my next crop sale, indicating another compound period.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Alobar posted:

Pretty much this. I'm a chef and a punk rocker, and a way I generally tell how much of a poser they are by the extent of their tattoo's. Especially michelin chefs that I run into sometimes. It's just like, your loving mommy bought you those tattoos when you were taking a break from cooking school where you really only learned how to stick your nose up when someone's trying to look you in the eye. I loving hate servers, but I understand how they have the money to burn on tattoos. When a cook/chef is covered in tattoos? Unless they're getting stick and pokes or maybe have a friend with a tattoo gun, it's rubs me suspicious. Sometimes people ask me where my tattoos are when I say I'm into punk, and it's like, I got into punk because I like nonconformity and now it's conformity in some ways to get tattoos.

Intelligence is obviously not linked to tattoos, but they're definitely status symbols that say "I had a few hundred dollars and a few hours to wait for art to be put on my arm." I don't have a few extra hundred dollars, and if I had the loving money to waste I'd travel across the country to visit my family that I miss, a lot.

One of the 2-star michelin kitchens I've worked in (washing dishes for a temp agency, getting paid more per hour than the chefs) there was one chef who had a michelin star tattoo on the inside of his forearm. I forgot exactly how he phrased it, but I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines of me maybe wanting the autographs of the chefs there. This same shift, I was picking up some plates from where the servers drop them off, and I asked a server if he still needed a receipt that was on the plate. He said no, and as I was throwing it into the trash, I saw the bill was $3,000. I will never, ever forget that. Ever. I declined their offer to work on their line. Very nice chef, though. I wanted to ask her if she cares so much about the future, why are all the chefs in their kitchens serving the upper class? Why is there no general strike?

Tattoos are this counter-cultural thing that has become mainstream. I remember back in the 90's, if someone had a *single* tattoo, people would be like "whoaaa, he has a tattooooo." Now, it's like, soccer moms have full sleeves and face tattoos and poo poo.

If you want a tattoo get a tattoo. If you don't, don't. Being so concerned about what people will or won't think about you and sneering at people who made a different choice than you is what makes you a conformist.

There's also nothing punk about being a judgmental prick who is obsessed with how other people will judge you if you put one foot out of line. That poo poo is and always has been as mainstream as gently caress. You'd fit right in with the soccer mums gossiping about each other.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Chefs are pricks

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
But they cook better than I can and under withering conditions. Chefs ought be considered vital to national security and subsidized accordingly.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HazCat posted:

If you want a tattoo get a tattoo. If you don't, don't. Being so concerned about what people will or won't think about you and sneering at people who made a different choice than you is what makes you a conformist.

There's also nothing punk about being a judgmental prick who is obsessed with how other people will judge you if you put one foot out of line. That poo poo is and always has been as mainstream as gently caress. You'd fit right in with the soccer mums gossiping about each other.

:hmmyes:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

HazCat posted:

If you want a tattoo get a tattoo. If you don't, don't.

It's literally not that simple and you missed the gently caress point. What are you, drunk? I don't care if someone has tattoos, I'm saying that in general they're loving posers. If someone has 3 tattoos (especially if they're done by friends like my previous post mentions), they're probably going through more of the struggle than someone who can afford to be covered in them. Sort of like you trying to tell me what's punk and not punk like I give a single gently caress about you or your decision to not post pictures in a picture thread.

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Chefs are pricks

In general, yeah. I'm usually picking up everyone else's slack working multiple stations because people in this country are lazy as gently caress. It really gets loving hard telling someone the same loving thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and then you get asked "how do you this?" and the answer is "WITHOUT SPILLING poo poo EVERYWHERE!"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

States that require unit pricing information on the shelf labels own.

We have "price per (whole number weight/volume)" laws in Australia. I took a picture once of a packet of saffron that cost $13 for 100mg. On the label on the shelf it then had "$13,000/100g". Super useful information to know, that, if I'm ever in the market for a lifetime supply of saffron.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

The ratio of tattoo keepers vs tattoo removers is pretty significant.

Does tattoo removal always work well? Is it expensive?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I work at a university owned catering company. Sometimes we have to get a chef in to cover evening shifts that are usually for boring old unglamorous assistants and every goddamn time we do I have to redo the boring stuff like cleaning and government mandated paperwork. Also they're never punk

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/01/corporate-logo-font-typeface-digital-studio/

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm the P that takes up 5 times as much space as any other letter

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm the combined h and i

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Zil posted:

Dr Incel will see you now.

"Lower your soy intake and you'll be back to full mast in no time!"

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Alobar posted:

It's literally not that simple and you missed the gently caress point. What are you, drunk? I don't care if someone has tattoos, I'm saying that in general they're loving posers. If someone has 3 tattoos (especially if they're done by friends like my previous post mentions), they're probably going through more of the struggle than someone who can afford to be covered in them. Sort of like you trying to tell me what's punk and not punk like I give a single gently caress about you or your decision to not post pictures in a picture thread.

In general, yeah. I'm usually picking up everyone else's slack working multiple stations because people in this country are lazy as gently caress. It really gets loving hard telling someone the same loving thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and then you get asked "how do you this?" and the answer is "WITHOUT SPILLING poo poo EVERYWHERE!"

lol youre a judgy little prick who unironically calls people "posers" in 2018. no amount of tattoos will make you less of a wannabee badass loser

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

YouTube is running adds telling me to pay my bills.

And offering loans to do so.

Dont know how to link an add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How are chefs supposed to afford tattoos when cocaine exists?