Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sovcits are one people, but I loving HATE the idiots who think they're lawyers or know the rules better than anyone else. Like insisting the sidewalk and walkways of a public college campus are public land so security can't kick you out, you know your rights! No you're not a student BUT THIS IS PUBLIC LAND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME LEAVE, SECURITY GUARD! Walmart parking lot is public land so you can't make me leave I'm a paying customer!

Dude, you loving idiot, you want to walk around a college campus playing loving Pokemon Go, and argue with people that work there and make a scene? No, gently caress you, you make the rest of us look bad! Be respectful and stop being a spoiled poo poo because you're so sure you know the magic words to make it legal.

Also, PRIVATE LAND EXISTS. And arguing that it's public land means poo poo all when it comes to parks with loving hours posted, don't try to argue you are not trespassing at midnight when 'my taxes pay for this!'

When I used to work Security at a hospital, I had to deal with this every drat day. I still remember the day some guy was astonished that I told him to get the gently caress out when he threatened to kill a nurse if she didnt stop helping another patient and help his dad instead. The amount of people who think all rules are off if they're in the hospital, even just visiting, is phenomenal.

Also you CAN be banned from a hospital in Canada. The emergency room will still treat you, but if you linger even for a second after you're discharged, you're trespassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Unless you’re waltzing around either West Point or the grass at Texas A&M, how do you make enough of a douche out of yourself to even get noticed as a non-student on a campus? They’re crawling with people of all ages and conditions and have a higher-than-usual rear end in a top hat and weirdo ratio.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why does everyone use "nonplussed" to mean mildly perturbed? It means shocked to the point of not knowing how to react. Did they see it in Terry Pratchett books and think he was dryly understating the situation? That's an understandable mistake I guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Unless you’re waltzing around either West Point or the grass at Texas A&M, how do you make enough of a douche out of yourself to even get noticed as a non-student on a campus? They’re crawling with people of all ages and conditions and have a higher-than-usual rear end in a top hat and weirdo ratio.

Yeah. At UConn I used to think that a homeless person had gotten on the elevator with me at the math and science building, but nope. It was Physics Phil, notably unkempt PhD student. Dude would have been in the top 10 percent of gross homeless people in most major cities and he never got hassled. What the gently caress are these people doing?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Also, PRIVATE LAND EXISTS. And arguing that it's public land means poo poo all when it comes to parks with loving hours posted, don't try to argue you are not trespassing at midnight when 'my taxes pay for this!'

I used to work security for a mall and the number of people who tried to argue “it’s public property!” was hilarious. Nope, it’s private land dipshit, the city doesn’t run the mall a business does and they don’t want you here.

I sometimes miss that job because I worked night shift and it was easy as poo poo for the most part with decent pay. I rarely had time for friends though, and the sleep schedule sucked rear end so I’m never going to do it again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Moon Monster posted:

Why does everyone use "nonplussed" to mean mildly perturbed? It means shocked to the point of not knowing how to react. Did they see it in Terry Pratchett books and think he was dryly understating the situation? That's an understandable mistake I guess.

"Plussed" isn't even a word so how can something be nonplussed.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Mu Zeta posted:

"Plussed" isn't even a word so how can something be nonplussed.

Hey, now we can all talk about how annoying it is when people say they plussed or, somehow worse, minused some numbers. Well done. :golfclap:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Livepan means you're going out of your way to act excited or animated.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sovcits are one people, but I loving HATE the idiots who think they're lawyers or know the rules better than anyone else. Like insisting the sidewalk and walkways of a public college campus are public land so security can't kick you out, you know your rights! No you're not a student BUT THIS IS PUBLIC LAND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME LEAVE, SECURITY GUARD! Walmart parking lot is public land so you can't make me leave I'm a paying customer!

Dude, you loving idiot, you want to walk around a college campus playing loving Pokemon Go, and argue with people that work there and make a scene? No, gently caress you, you make the rest of us look bad! Be respectful and stop being a spoiled poo poo because you're so sure you know the magic words to make it legal.

Some people are so concerned about what the law, what is legal or illegal etc. that they forget one important thing. They are being a huge rear end in a top hat. There is no law saying you can't cheat on your wife multiple times, buy an Iphone and toss it at the ground, flip off your parents and use white spirit as a deodorant. It's just that all of those things make you an rear end in a top hat.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Sep 3, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Midig posted:

There is no law saying you can't cheat on your wife multiple times,
Bad example.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Maybe my phrasing was a bit bad. But you can't be put in prison in the US. Sure, some laws can prohibit you from certain rights after a divorce, but they cannot give you a fine or put you in prison for cheating.

Also, worst pet peeve of mine is dubbing. If it is TV, commercials, entertainment etc. especially if the source material is an extremely common language like English or Spanish. You are just enabling people to not learn common languages.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Sep 3, 2018

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My parents and I are smokers and were spending way too much money on cigarettes so now my dad rolls us all cigarettes from tobacco and stuff he gets from the internet, which is fine and has saved us a lot of money. But now I feel beholden to him every time I want a cigarette cause he has to make each one. I could use the machine to make my own but apparently I gently caress it up so he just takes over. Its one of those 'favors' that people love to hold over you and like to use in petty threats in arguments. I would rather just buy my own cigarettes and spend the drat money than feel like I have to beg for him to kindly pump them out at a steady rate. He can be super passive aggressive and drop little backhanded comments out of the blue so I have to walk on eggshells to smoke, turning a calming thing into anxiety about dealing with how his attitude might be.

So I guess the peeve is having to rely on the kindness of people when they can and will use it against you at some point.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Slightly related. When someone offers help, but they are so slow about starting on the task that you might as well do it yourself. I remember that I wanted my first smartphone, so my brother told me to call it off until a good deal comes along and that he could help. So I asked for help, for months. "Soon, I will help you soon". Just gave up and bought one at a regular price.

Midig has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Sep 3, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Midig posted:

Slightly related. When someone offers help, but they are so slow about starting on the task that you might as well do it yourself. I remember that I wanted my first smartphone, so my brother told me to call it off until a good deal comes along and that he could help. So I asked fof help, for months. "Soon, I will help you soon". Just gave up and bought one at a regular price.

People love offering a favor that stops your life. My friend offered to fix my bike once, finally I figured it out after a whole month of summer vanished. It was really easy, too, but he had "all the tools and some spare parts just lemme know I'll come over" for weeks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sportsball

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Right, it's handegg.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nah football is the correct term. Sportsball is just the umbrella word for the whole genre.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think the term has died down in the last year or so, maybe because people realized how horrible nerds can be

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Nah football is the correct term. Sportsball is just the umbrella word for the whole genre.

Oh, sorry I didn't realize there was a difference between sportsballs :smuggo:

But yeah, my pet-peeve is anyone affecting ignorance about something that anyone with senses should have absorbed via osmosis by now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think the term has died down in the last year or so, maybe because people realized how horrible nerds can be

I only say sportsball because it pisses people off

I have been to many baseball games and it's a lot of fun as long as you have your pint of beer and hot dog and nachos but once it's gone I just want to go home. I don't get how people can stay for a whole game.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Companies that replace email support (which can actually be useful) with stupid chatbots that just redirect you to the FAQ or ask you to call. If I'm going to wait forever for an answer, at least let me wait for an email, not listen to hold music for 4 hours only to find out i'll have to call some other department etc for days.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Coworkers on Facebook. No, I do not and will not be adding you. My personal life never mixes with my professional.

My mom showed me some Facebook pic today from her coworker, and I told her to unfriend the bitch. Because this girl and my mom do NOT get along period, the girl is a new hire and has figured out fast the best way to get less work is to gently caress up all the work she is given, so someone else has to come along and fix it (usually my mom, who is her trainer/kinda supervisor), and she is the definition of what a boomer would call a snowflake: she can't read the room, she bursts into tears if someone gets mad at her (she works customer service), and tends to take the longest smoke breaks possible, 10 minutes at the start of every hour. So they don't get along. SO DON'T BE FACEBOOK FRIENDS WITH A WOMAN YOU HATE BECAUSE ONE DAY YOU WILL POST SOMETHING SHE HATES AND YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF IN HR.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Companies that replace email support (which can actually be useful) with stupid chatbots that just redirect you to the FAQ or ask you to call. If I'm going to wait forever for an answer, at least let me wait for an email, not listen to hold music for 4 hours only to find out i'll have to call some other department etc for days.

Really, just companies replacing actual support with automation in general. I despise having to call an 800 number as so many of them now want you to talk at them instead of pushing buttons through a menu. They absolutely never understand my accent because I guess Pennsylvania doesn't exist or something. Even the menu ones are stupid as 90% of the time it's just pushing buttons until I get to "we will connect you to the next available representative." Generally speaking I just ignore the system and keep pushing 0 until an actual person comes on the line.

Then I have to listen to tinny, lovely music for an hour until I finally get through to an underpaid, understaffed call center, probably talking to somebody who barely speaks English. That person's job is to just say "no" repeatedly until I can finally convince him that no, company, you hosed up and have to fix something. Get me somebody that has actual authority.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I only say sportsball because it pisses people off

I have been to many baseball games and it's a lot of fun as long as you have your pint of beer and hot dog and nachos but once it's gone I just want to go home. I don't get how people can stay for a whole game.

Next time you go, try to pitch a complete game. One beer and one hot dog per inning.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

People who refuse to use self-checkout on principle. gently caress you. 9/10 people do not find that job fulfilling and are secretly thankful that a machine will do it. You are just making it harder on the people you supposedly care about. Self-checkouts have come to stay, just get with the times already.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have a girl friend on facebook who posts lots of pictures and without fail, the same guy posts the exact same comment

You look very generous

What does this mean? What is the goal? How does this guy post the same exact thing every time. And even more, why does this bother me so much

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Che Delilas posted:

Livepan means you're going out of your way to act excited or animated.

But what about...undeadpan? :ohdear:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Coworkers on Facebook. No, I do not and will not be adding you. My personal life never mixes with my professional.

My mom showed me some Facebook pic today from her coworker, and I told her to unfriend the bitch. Because this girl and my mom do NOT get along period, the girl is a new hire and has figured out fast the best way to get less work is to gently caress up all the work she is given, so someone else has to come along and fix it (usually my mom, who is her trainer/kinda supervisor), and she is the definition of what a boomer would call a snowflake: she can't read the room, she bursts into tears if someone gets mad at her (she works customer service), and tends to take the longest smoke breaks possible, 10 minutes at the start of every hour. So they don't get along. SO DON'T BE FACEBOOK FRIENDS WITH A WOMAN YOU HATE BECAUSE ONE DAY YOU WILL POST SOMETHING SHE HATES AND YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF IN HR.

Surprising how this isn't common knowledge nowadays with social media & almost everything people say/do being made public so easily. I've had coworkers ask me to friend them & always decided against it - the one time I added a coworker, the guy got promoted to a supervisor role & tried to strong-arm me into taking down a FB post where I said Time Warner Cable sucked poo poo. I unfriended the guy & blocked him instead, then kept my page private so nobody could see anything. He didn't like it, less so when I told him I don't get paid to be his friend or be told what I can or can't do outside work & no, he doesn't need to know anything about my personal life if he wanted to be a prick like that.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Sep 4, 2018

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

But what about...undeadpan? :ohdear:

Surprising how this isn't common knowledge nowadays with social media & almost everything people say/do being made public so easily. I've had coworkers ask me to friend them & always decided against it - the one time I added a coworker, the guy got promoted to a supervisor role & tried to strong-arm me into taking down a FB post where I said Time Warner Cable sucked poo poo. I unfriended the guy & blocked him instead, then kept my page private so nobody could see anything. He didn't like it, less so when I told him I don't get paid to be his friend or be told what I can or can't do outside work & no, he doesn't need to know anything about my personal life if he wanted to be a prick like that.

Why would he even care? Do y'all work for Time Warner? :confused:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
My pet peeve is I just discovered Groundhog Day: The Musical and I love it and then I googled tour dates and there was gonna be a big American tour but it was...cancelled :rant:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

People who refuse to use self-checkout on principle. gently caress you. 9/10 people do not find that job fulfilling and are secretly thankful that a machine will do it. You are just making it harder on the people you supposedly care about. Self-checkouts have come to stay, just get with the times already.

Does it count as "on principle" when the reason I refuse is "they are really annoying"? Way more often than not it detects a fly landing in the bagging area or something and requires an employee to come over anyway. It's easier to just go to a register with a person already there.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Midig posted:

As someone who does customer service for a retail company, the people who say "If I have to scan my own items, I'd better be getting the employee discount!!" make my skin crawl.

Like, is it possible to be more entitled? Here, how about you scan your own groceries, AND THEN stand in the same place and scan everybody else's for the next eight hours too, okay? That's when you get to complain, you garbage heap.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
If the system is designed in such a way that I can scan my items and move on through with no difficulty then fine.

If it's a hassle and actually makes me not want to use that retailer isn't it better for me to use a regular checkout? I don't want to hear any poo poo about being old or too stupid to use it because the employee that comes to help is usually just as frustrated with the machine as i am.

People that just assume it's the user's fault is my pet peeve.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really like self-checkout since it minimizes interacting with other people, which as a Finnish person is my main goal in life

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Podcasts that don't have websites where you can just download the MP3 files and a simple RSS feed for new episodes as they come out. I don't want to sign up for iTunes or Stitcher or whatever app, I just want to download episodes with my web browser and copy them onto my MP3 player. Why is this so difficult?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Podcasts that don't have websites where you can just download the MP3 files and a simple RSS feed for new episodes as they come out. I don't want to sign up for iTunes or Stitcher or whatever app, I just want to download episodes with my web browser and copy them onto my MP3 player. Why is this so difficult?

because almost nobody else wants to do it like that

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Andrast posted:

I really like self-checkout since it minimizes interacting with other people, which as a Finnish person is my main goal in life

Same.

Had to go to a person last week because I had wine and the weird fucker starts asking me what I'm doing with my day and segues into how he hates his job because he gets no hours but wants to be a manager :chloe:

Please read the room, I am so very obviously not a chatter, I barely make eye contact

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

By on principle I mean the people that come up to you and start talking about how this kind of job should be done by people and not machines. They do however forget how soul sucking that task is and with self-checkouts I have less people to depend on when people want to be stubborn and use a retailer. They forget, however, that this gives us space to do EVERYTHING loving ELSE which is also integral to increasing the quality of your shopping experience and which is genuinely enjoyable.

Even some people in their thirties will come to me with two scannable items. I refuse to believe there are any complications involved in that.

Midig has a new favorite as of 12:45 on Sep 4, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Banks and contracts, especially re: getting out of them. It is so easy to open an account or start a contract, but trying to get out for legitimate reasons is maddening. They ask for a certification of your new address? Well guess what, you didn't read page 57 paragraph 7c that says that form needs to be notarized and has to be received within 7 days of being signed. You sent all the required forms in time? Well guess what, you didn't provide a "certified" translation of them into German so you have to start all over.

Every time I think that maybe I'd like to have been a lawyer I just need to spend 5 minutes looking at this crap and realize this is the kind of thing I'd be doing most of the time and it instantly kills that thought.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Midig posted:

It's not that I won't use it on principle, it's that 99% of the time when I try to use it one of two things will happen:

1. I'll be buying beer and I have to get an ID check (even though I look older than Clint Eastwood) and the attendant takes 15 minutes to get to me because they're busy helping the other people who are too old/too stupid to use a self check out.

2. There will be a longer line at the self checkout because of all the people who are too old/too stupid to use a self checkout and I just go to the regular checkout and it takes me less time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

3. The stores are saving mahoosive amounts of money by putting in self-service counters, but they're not passing the savings on to me, the customer who now has to do more work to purchase their goods.