Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I love that the Monarch basically gladly admits to arching Shallow Gravy.

Did he admit to killing 24 too? Or did I misread that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Action Man, take it down a notch
Stop just thinking with your Action Crotch

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know how I feel about Dean being given the serious, not-as-funny story-lines. That imagine sport for Hank was great!

Moose-Alini posted:

Did he admit to killing 24 too? Or did I misread that.
I remember that he gloated about breaking up Shallow Gravy and that was a consequence of Helper's destruction, thus implying that he was the one who detonated the bomb that killed 24.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 1, 2018

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I love that all of the unnecessary killings from Jonas’ era are Rodney going apeshit. Like Tuuuuuuuuuuurnbuckle and the henchmen at spiderskull island.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Don't forget that shweet, shweet bebeh!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It was a werewolf .

I did like the confirmation this episode that a level 5 can be a dude with a high-powered sno cone machine, making me assume a level 1 is just a guy yelling on a street corner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Level 1 is probably Augustus St. Cloud and Conjectural Technologies. Or possibly early season Hank and Dean on their own.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Level 1 is probably Augustus St. Cloud and Conjectural Technologies. Or possibly early season Hank and Dean on their own.

Hank and Dean getting their own arch nemesis would be a good episode.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

St. Cloud did have the Truckasarus that was loving up their trailer, and he was able to steal the red ball, so he's not entirely incompetent.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

X_Toad posted:

[THE MIGHTY MONARCH] gloated about breaking up Shallow Gravy and that was a consequence of Helper's destruction, thus implying that he was the one who detonated the bomb that killed 24.
It's true that he said that, but there's no way Monarch wouldn't brag and take credit for loving with the Ventures and taking Brock Samson (temporarily) out of commission, regardless of whether or not it was actually his doing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
St. Cloud is probably a 3-4. Guy has a lot of potentially dangerous assets but not the talent.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
I like how the episode continued the theme of it usually being the "good" guys, especially the Venture crew, that tend to use overwhelming force. The whole arch level system was created after Action Man straight up murdered Turnbuckle in cold blood after already saving Rusty and pistol-whipping the poo poo out of Turnbuckle. Brock and the OG Team Venture have killed so many people on the compound, much less elsewhere, that the field near Ben's house is a mass grave. And in this episode we found out that a level 5 protagonist leveled a city block with a fancy sno-cone machine. Outside of genuinely terrifying antagonists like Red Death, a lot of the weird bureaucracy around the OSI and GCI is set up to protect the antagonists from the Venture clan as much as it is to protect the general public from both sides.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Preem Palver posted:

I like how the episode continued the theme of it usually being the "good" guys, especially the Venture crew, that tend to use overwhelming force. The whole arch level system was created after Action Man straight up murdered Turnbuckle in cold blood after already saving Rusty and pistol-whipping the poo poo out of Turnbuckle. Brock and the OG Team Venture have killed so many people on the compound, much less elsewhere, that the field near Ben's house is a mass grave. And in this episode we found out that a level 5 protagonist leveled a city block with a fancy sno-cone machine. Outside of genuinely terrifying antagonists like Red Death, a lot of the weird bureaucracy around the OSI and GCI is set up to protect the antagonists from the Venture clan as much as it is to protect the general public from both sides.

Wrong. It was the arch that leveled the block with his Level 8 unsactioned gun. The Guild guy is totally not at fault for that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the protagonists are able to go overboard because that's just the nature of the game. It's usually just one person or a small group of people doing their super science and making a living. Then an antagonist raids their building or compound or whatever to steal things and cause mayhem. They usually have an army of expendable henchmen and it is expected that a bunch of them will die. It sucks if you're a henchman though, as you're the only one in the equation expected to die.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
The whole "pee pee belt" joke felt like the male counterpart to teenage girls' tendency to be grossed out by uncircumcised teenage boys in the show. As in men have an ingrained stereotypical belief that women don't understand their "plumbing", hence why a woman is the only one to realize what's really going on because the other meaning doesn't register at all to her.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mokinokaro posted:

St. Cloud is probably a 3-4. Guy has a lot of potentially dangerous assets but not the talent.

I don't know they seemed pretty clear that he's only spent the minimum possible to be allowed to harass Pete and Billy. And he doesn't even got a bunch of henchmen around, just his own albino.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
An albino who is pretty much the Brock to his Rusty though. That guy would kick Billy and White's asses in three seconds flat.

A question about the new episode : if Red Helper thought that Dean was Rusty, does that mean that Red Helper's perception of time is somewhat altered or that he was created relatively recently but with memories from the late sixties? Because he wouldn't have made that confusion if he had known that Rusty was supposed to be more than 40 years old.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 1, 2018

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Considering Dr. Z said that the Monarch's rating is "exceedingly generous", that is really a backhanded turn of phrase considering how low the bar is for a Level 5.

I wonder what Dr. Z would have actually rated the Monarch without his wife's influence; a 3?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Man this season has been gold so far.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Wrong. It was the arch that leveled the block with his Level 8 unsactioned gun. The Guild guy is totally not at fault for that.

That was exactly my point. Do you not know what protagonist/antagonist means?

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 1, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Preem Palver posted:

My take is that it shows just how pathetic the villains really are. They want to be able to do whatever they want but the slightest sign of consequences for all their bullshit and they start crying about how unfair it all is.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
my favorite part was that shore leave whipped phantom limb's rear end.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know, I thought this was also a big condemnation of the O.S.I as well, notably the fact that they expect the Guild to keep a tight leash on their membership but won't do anything to rein in the people they're in charge of, even when they level a city block and kill two civilians with an unregistered weapon of mass destruction.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

THEY ALL CHILDREN

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
And Jonas' way of dealing with children? Have them duke it out! It's a good thing JJ didn't come out of Rusty until when into their forties.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
My least favorite part of the episode was Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's sudden foray into strawman strawperson, third-wave feminism. Specifically, her sudden and constant objections to male-coded pronouns is conspicuous, and it just feels like it's coming out of nowhere. She's never seemed to care about gender-coded pronouns before. Maybe there's a deleted scene or something cut out of the script that sets it up?

Don't get me wrong--she's an educated woman who is one of the most competent antagonists we see on the show, and in spite of this, she has been the target of overt sexism throughout her career. So, the fact that she's a feminist doesn't bother me; it makes perfect sense for her character. In the past, they don't deal with this side of her personality all that much, but when they do, it's usually in a fair and understandable way that isn't annoying or preachy. (I'm thinking of the scene with her, Watch, and Ward in "Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny" here.) The pronoun thing, though, just feels off somehow.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
She does kind of hate it when people imply that she's a man.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

She does kind of hate it when people imply that she's a man.

True, but that's a whole different thing. And to be fair, they haven't hit on that in a very long time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It felt perfectly in line with her clowning on Wide Wale's sexist henchmen in The Rorqual Affair

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

tarlibone posted:

My least favorite part of the episode was Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's sudden foray into strawman strawperson, third-wave feminism.

Are those pronouns? "Gentlemen" and "guys" feel more like titles to me.

Maybe she's just become more strict about it now that she's part of the Council? Also, Rusty apparently has trouble using the female title even talking to her specifically, so maybe that's why she calls him out on it each time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just wish if she cared that much, she would have a villain name that wasn't defined by her relationship with The Monarch.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mokinokaro posted:

Or the inclination. He's petty and spiteful, not bombastic and hateful.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

X_Toad posted:

Are those pronouns? "Gentlemen" and "guys" feel more like titles to me.

Maybe she's just become more strict about it now that she's part of the Council? Also, Rusty apparently has trouble using the female title even talking to her specifically, so maybe that's why she calls him out on it each time.

She has a complicated relationship with Rusty and might have felt he was slighting her, on top of feeling the need to have the respect she deserves at such an important meeting. She didn't care about the pool fight but did with all the negotiations so she takes her job far more seriously than the other council members. Or less seriously given how much importance they placed in such a stupid dispute resolution.

IUG posted:

I just wish if she cared that much, she would have a villain name that wasn't defined by her relationship with The Monarch.

I think they're building up to that. It doesn't seem like she's going to be arching with The Monarch any time soon, and even in his fantasy she only appears as a hallucination to wake him up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Except for Lady Au Pair, has she ever had her own name that wasn't based on whoever she was dating?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I admit I keep bringing surprised that she isn't Dr. Councilwoman the Monarch.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Cojawfee posted:

Except for Lady Au Pair, has she ever had her own name that wasn't based on whoever she was dating?

No, but in fairness, why would/should she? Lady Au Pair was her as a solo villain, so it makes sense she had a solo name. Queen Etheria and Dr. Girlfriend/Dr. Mrs. the Monarch were both the number 2s of other villains. It's not a gender thing (although the lazy choice of naming for her name when she's working with the Monarch kind of is) it's a villain's number 2 thing. Same reason why Gary's villain name was the Viceroy. You stick with the theme.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
An au pair is a live in maid/nanny, so even Lady Au Pair is still a diminishing title that implies she's just the hired help for someone else, even if she wasn't directly someone's number 2.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do think we're going to see Councilwoman Sheila have a blow up before the end of the season (either quitting villainy or staging a violent coup to become the new Sovereign), as she's pretty much the only person (besides Dr. Z) taking the Guild seriously, and all the weight seems to be on her shoulders with no one giving a gently caress or offering to help. Phantom Limb seems to have become the supervillain version of Frasier, and I wouldn't mind him just...going away if he continues to be a useless fop instead of becoming someone threatening again.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 2, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
She's also been the monarch's partner not his #2 since the end of season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

She isn't really his partner any longer. Nothing about the Monarch's ranking test included Sheila in the count. She has her own thing now.