Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is there a Shazam-like app but for movies? Would such an app be possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I feel like if you GIS some stills it might work sometimes

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
I am a dumbass and I started a thread which should have been here.

I asked about a movie staring the dudes from The Young Ones which was similar to This Is Spinal Tap. There's a scene where (again as I recall it) the guys from The Scorpions give their opinion of the band (Bad News) which is less than complementary.

It turns out that this wasn't a movie, it was part of a BBC show called Comic Strip Presents (pointed out by a very helpful goon, thank you), specifically
Comic Strip Presents: Bad News by Entertainment One. I've been looking for this show since the mid 80's when I saw it with friends on, probably, VHS taped from the television. If you were to want a copy of this lovely show you can apparently pick one up through Amazon at;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00UGQBMG4/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I just ordered one for $15.00 and I hope that you can too! Thank you goons for making this happen for me!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Is there a Shazam-like app but for movies? Would such an app be possible?

It'd be possible because YouTube can flag large swaths of clips based on audio/video IIRC.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
I need help finding a movie from the 90's about an actor who plays a cop on a show and gradually thinks he's a cop. He even goes so far as to steal his costume and goes on patrol. I think he commits suicide at the end of the film.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
That would probably be the Canadian cult classic I Love a Man in Uniform.
https://imdb.com/title/tt0107179/

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK

MachineryNoise posted:

That would probably be the Canadian cult classic I Love a Man in Uniform.
https://imdb.com/title/tt0107179/

That's the one! Thanks!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This morning, I fell asleep watching a movie on Hulu. It finished and another started automatically; my wife caught a small bit and is wondering what the hell it was. Here's what she remembers:

"there was a mom that broke her moms window to get her 2 sons back, they were talking in a different language other then english. Then shortly after you think it is a happy drama film, bang. The mom is banging this alien monster with leech like tenticles."

Any clue, guys? The movie I had on before was The Fly 2.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Leavemywife posted:

This morning, I fell asleep watching a movie on Hulu. It finished and another started automatically; my wife caught a small bit and is wondering what the hell it was. Here's what she remembers:

"there was a mom that broke her moms window to get her 2 sons back, they were talking in a different language other then english. Then shortly after you think it is a happy drama film, bang. The mom is banging this alien monster with leech like tenticles."

Any clue, guys? The movie I had on before was The Fly 2.

Stab in the dark, sounds like something a Species film would do.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Untamed. Haven't seen it, but I know it's a foreign drama with tentacle monster sex.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Untamed_(2016_film)

AgentCooper
Oct 27, 2014

There's nothing quite like urinating out in the open air.
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I can't look at 300+ pages of prior thread ;_; Also, I've already tried extensively googling it, using whatismymovie.com and the like, so you're my only hope!

I was like 10-12 years old probably, and caught the middle-to-end sections of this movie on the only English language TV station broadcasting in S Korea back in the 1990s, so unfortunately no idea when it was made, save for the fact that it didn't seem like anything obviously made before the 1980's (ie grainy technicolor or old-fashioned dialogue, etc). It was also in English, although that could have been dubbed, but was either an American or European film.

The basic plot was that some boy (probably an 8-10 year old, if I had to guess) had been separated from his mother for reasons, and was trying to find her, specifically to marry her (because what better way to guarantee you don't lose someone again, in this kid's mind). Not sure if the mom was Vietnamese (post-war theme, MC was a GI's kid maybe?) or some other flavor of Asian.

In his quest to marry his mother, he was joined by some other kids and possibly one or more adults, all of course dysfunctional misfits with problems of their own. One of the memorable characters was some (possibly redheaded, chubby?) kid with a white duck who he used to get around all sorts of imaginary situations he was placed in. An example was a scene where the kid for some reason needed to conduct an orchestra but had no baton, so he just plucks off one of the duck's tailfeathers and uses it. I think the duck's name was Frederico or Federico (google not helping with this, though it should).

Another scene I remember was where the group took shelter with a bunch of hobos, gypsies, or circus clowns down on their luck, and solidified their friendship through some ceremony involving eating grapes.

I think in the end the kid found his mother. Film is probably trash and unwatchable by modern standards but it's bothered me for a long time that I haven't been able to recall the name.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Is there a film where someone's car number plate reads "CRIMINAL" or did I dream it? Googling "criminal license plate" just gets me a bunch of results about the legality of plates. :v:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Any idea what the source of this GIF is? I’ve posted twice asking the OP on Twitter for the source with no reply :(

https://twitter.com/moviessilently/status/1033079149223530497?s=21

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Les Vampires episode 2, The Ring That Kills:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Vampires#/media/File:Les_Vampires_(2)-Napierkowska.jpg

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I loving knew it. Thank you for confirming, much appreciated.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Untamed. Haven't seen it, but I know it's a foreign drama with tentacle monster sex.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Untamed_(2016_film)

That sounds pretty similar to what my wife described, and she thinks it's right. Thank you!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

I believe it was a clip from an Icelandic movie I saw. Wanna say early 2000s. About a gamer girl or girl trying to get into games and goes to a game store and all the guys are like "bwuuuuh" cuz she's a girl who games

She's blonde

Man have I really stumped the thread

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
This looks really cool. I'll have to check it out sometime. Thanks for the ID!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Macaroni posted:

This looks really cool. I'll have to check it out sometime. Thanks for the ID!

And check out an excellent film about a fictional remake of the serial: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irma_Vep

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a movie on television many years ago - I think it was a kids' movie from the 80s and the plot seemed to be about an alien boy who has been mind controlled by some crooks who want to use his superhuman strength for crime, so his sister comes down to Earth and enlists some kids to help her get him back. At the end, the day is saved and their dad comes to pick them up and they all beam up to their spaceship. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

Man have I really stumped the thread

are you sure it was a movie and not just what happens whenever any girl walks into any game store, ever?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I saw a movie on television many years ago - I think it was a kids' movie from the 80s and the plot seemed to be about an alien boy who has been mind controlled by some crooks who want to use his superhuman strength for crime, so his sister comes down to Earth and enlists some kids to help her get him back. At the end, the day is saved and their dad comes to pick them up and they all beam up to their spaceship. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

It sounds kinda like one of the older Escape to Witch Mountain movies, but I'm not sure.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Update, got Bad News, both episodes AND Plex recognizes it!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Should've gotten the complete Comic Strip Presents boxset

Dolophiend
Jul 4, 2014
All I remember is that the movie is set in a movie theater and the movie within the movie is a horror movie about giant ants (most likely Them! or a thinly veiled ripoff).

I want to say it's a drama or a comedy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dolophiend posted:

All I remember is that the movie is set in a movie theater and the movie within the movie is a horror movie about giant ants (most likely Them! or a thinly veiled ripoff).

I want to say it's a drama or a comedy.

Matinee?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matinee_(1993_film)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My boyfriend asked me if I knew the name of a movie where the main character is singing Madonna’s ‘Holiday’ while crying, maybe after a breakup.

Any ideas?

E: NM it was The Wedding Singer

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 2, 2018

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Probably my favorite part of that movie

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gey muckle mowser posted:

are you sure it was a movie and not just what happens whenever any girl walks into any game store, ever?

Oh yeah that was actually the time I went to a game store in Iceland I was the girl

Fucker

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Looking for an 80's/early 90's horror film or made-for-tv movie. I don't remember much except that there is a kid who's mouth is melted shut or missing, and that other people eventually have the same things happen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Twilight Zone: The Movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvUJBcuLl6U

Dolophiend
Jul 4, 2014

You guys are loving ninjas.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I vaguely recall starting a series (not strictly a movie sorry) on netflix or hulu that involved a detective and a water god and contest in water salvage in the first episode. This was a chinese series. Any ideas?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

That might be it? Doesn't quite line up with my memories though. Were there any other horror movies at the time that had people with mouths melted shut?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Kudaros posted:

I vaguely recall starting a series (not strictly a movie sorry) on netflix or hulu that involved a detective and a water god and contest in water salvage in the first episode. This was a chinese series. Any ideas?

Could be Bride of Habaek, I know it has a water god, but it’s a K-drama.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Could be Bride of Habaek, I know it has a water god, but it’s a K-drama.

That shows up on my vague searches but is not it, unfortunately.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to figure out a movie I saw when I was a kid.

It was a police drama about a highway patrolman in some desert town real slow burner with a western feel I can't really remember any of the plot, but I seem to remember some of it revolving around a crooked partner and possibly the lead characters girlfriend going missing filmed and set in the mid to late seventies

Two scenes stick out in particular, so the lead and his partner are sat on the highway it's very similar looking to route66 they pull over a passing hippy in a Volkswagen camper and search it top to bottom, clearly the guy is innocent and isn't carrying anything but posters and pamphlets for some hippy guru. So just as the lead is about to let im go his crooked partner pulls out a bag of weed from nowhere. The lead calls out his partner on this after the fact. Poor hippy ends up getting jailed

By the end of the movie the main story has resolved iitself and the lead is carrying on as usual sans crooked partner. On the same highway he stops the same hippy van from earlier, some time has passed and the hippy looks a lot more rugged than the last time we saw him obviously he's done time, in the passenger seat is a burly looming hells angel type, the lead takes a few moments to recognise the driver. It's obvious the hippy and his new friend is up to something suspicious, but he knows his ex partner hosed the poor guy over first time round so he pulls his glasses down and
says something like I owe you one don't I and lets him go. after watching them drive into the distance he realises he still has his wallet and drivers license so he takes off after him to give it back He's gaining on them and signals, holding his wallet in the air but at the last second the back window of the van opens up and hells angel shotguns him off his bike and we see him in his last moments and the credits roll.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mystery Steve posted:

I'm trying to figure out a movie I saw when I was a kid.

It was a police drama about a highway patrolman in some desert town real slow burner with a western feel I can't really remember any of the plot, but I seem to remember some of it revolving around a crooked partner and possibly the lead characters girlfriend going missing filmed and set in the mid to late seventies

Two scenes stick out in particular, so the lead and his partner are sat on the highway it's very similar looking to route66 they pull over a passing hippy in a Volkswagen camper and search it top to bottom, clearly the guy is innocent and isn't carrying anything but posters and pamphlets for some hippy guru. So just as the lead is about to let im go his crooked partner pulls out a bag of weed from nowhere. The lead calls out his partner on this after the fact. Poor hippy ends up getting jailed

By the end of the movie the main story has resolved iitself and the lead is carrying on as usual sans crooked partner. On the same highway he stops the same hippy van from earlier, some time has passed and the hippy looks a lot more rugged than the last time we saw him obviously he's done time, in the passenger seat is a burly looming hells angel type, the lead takes a few moments to recognise the driver. It's obvious the hippy and his new friend is up to something suspicious, but he knows his ex partner hosed the poor guy over first time round so he pulls his glasses down and
says something like I owe you one don't I and lets him go. after watching them drive into the distance he realises he still has his wallet and drivers license so he takes off after him to give it back He's gaining on them and signals, holding his wallet in the air but at the last second the back window of the van opens up and hells angel shotguns him off his bike and we see him in his last moments and the credits roll.

Electra Glide in Blue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electra_Glide_in_Blue

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yes! Thank you!

It's been annoying me for some time, every search term ended up being a mile off. Now to see if its better or worse than I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mystery Steve posted:

Yes! Thank you!

It's been annoying me for some time, every search term ended up being a mile off. Now to see if its better or worse than I remember.

Better, unless you remember it as a stone cold classic and one of the best films of the decade, in which case the same