Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

blessed post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

HORMELCHILI posted:

dried up basin being used as a city with buildings made from the ferries, low class down in the basin and the "upper class" living in the buildings around the rim

I'm down if we get some Gordon Lightfoot on the score.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Does this game have a perk mod on par with Ordinator for skyrim? Or basically any fun perk mods for the Xbone. Searching the workshop is a loving chore and for some reason I'm thinking of replaying this, but my laptop can't handle it.

EDIT: BY This Game I mean fallout 4! Whoops

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 31, 2018

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It is a little weird to me that Bethesda set a game in DC and one in Boston, and neither makes a single mention of NYC. Apparently the BoS flew past it because it didn't have any synths or mutants to kill???

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

apparently too many mutants

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
One person on the airship mentions their passage by the city - something about it having buildings so high you could almost reach out and touch them or something like that - but no, otherwise I think it's pretty much glossed over.

The idea being that they were alarmed by what Danse's recon team had discovered after the previous one went dark. I guess nothing else of interest has been found along the entire Northeast Corridor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ey whoa I'm lootin here

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I think we'll get to NYC eventually, probably only once Bethesda feels they could do it properly

probably wait and see what tes6's "new" engine can pull off

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm legit curious to see if the iD guys they brought in to fix the Creation/Gamebryo/Whatever engine are able to do with it. In addition to online functionality it sounded like they were making other improvements as well, like being able to generate and track weather in other cells.

Maybe there's hope for it yet. (The engine, not FO76 I mean)

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 1, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What point is there in improving the engine if nobody with any talent is going to be allowed to use it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I'm guessing fo76 is really just improvements on fo4s engine but whatever they got going on with tes6 or starfield whatever will be pretty different

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Wrr posted:

Make the plot and theme of the game about America annexing Toronto in the past and Why Imperialism is Bad and Wrong

People still side with NCR though?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
If any place in the United States got flattened beyond recognition by nuclear war, it has to be New York City, though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

StandardVC10 posted:

If any place in the United States got flattened beyond recognition by nuclear war, it has to be New York City, though.

That's what they said about DC in the lore before F3 existed :laffo:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's actually very immersive that the hollow Washington monument would survive a nuclear blast (as would literally all other buildings in DC)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Wolfsheim posted:

That's what they said about DC in the lore before F3 existed :laffo:

wheres that

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Why Toronto? It's just a flat piece of earth. Vancouver would be way more interesting.

Ronto has been successfully settled to the point where the Pitt knows about it as a major producer of resources, how that came about would be interesting (though from what things seem to say in the later Fallout games, it may just be that Canada didn't get nuked)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Ronto has been successfully settled to the point where the Pitt knows about it as a major producer of resources, how that came about would be interesting (though from what things seem to say in the later Fallout games, it may just be that Canada didn't get nuked)

But Vancouver is the official setting of all scifi. see also: every episode of stargate sg1

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

It's actually very immersive that the hollow Washington monument would survive a nuclear blast (as would literally all other buildings in DC)

The White House didn't :getin:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

I think we'll get to NYC eventually, probably only once Bethesda feels they could do it properly

probably wait and see what tes6's "new" engine can pull off

The Statue of Liberty...

Prime.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah i am 100% into that

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

HitTheTargets posted:

The Statue of Liberty...

Prime.

Deal

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I hope if they ever actually do a NYC Fallout that Manhattan itself is a total mess. Like you can visit some of it and there are subway tunnels, but it feels like it's truly been decimated and is uninhabitable. With most of the open world being build around the outer boroughs and maybe some of Long Island and Jersey.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Timeless Appeal posted:

I hope if they ever actually do a NYC Fallout that Manhattan itself is a total mess. Like you can visit some of it and there are subway tunnels, but it feels like it's truly been decimated and is uninhabitable. With most of the open world being build around the outer boroughs and maybe some of Long Island and Jersey.

The NYC subway tunnels can barely hold up to regular on-time train service, much less a nuclear attack.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, about a week after the pumps stop they're full of water. They pump something like 13 million gallons of water a day out of them now, on top of having to constantly patch holes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HitTheTargets posted:

The Statue of Liberty...

Prime.

The opening cinematic is them tearing down the old one and replacing it with Liberty Prime that later plays a key role in the story

King Kong, but robots

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Timeless Appeal posted:

Like you can visit some of it and there are subway tunnels
Subway tunnels in Fallout can gently caress directly off. The subway loading, get lost, load some more, oh hey the building you are standing next to can only be entered by going through a subway tunnel you enter 5 minutes away bullshit in Fallout 3 was a good indicator of why I never want to see them in any game ever again.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The problem with post apocalypse NYC is that it'd be tame and orderly in comparison to the insanity of NYC now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
NYC in fallout would just be Manhattan from Wolfenstein New Colossus except more bombed out.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Omar_Comin posted:

Subway tunnels in Fallout can gently caress directly off. The subway loading, get lost, load some more, oh hey the building you are standing next to can only be entered by going through a subway tunnel you enter 5 minutes away bullshit in Fallout 3 was a good indicator of why I never want to see them in any game ever again.
I got you, but what if mostly intact major US cities after a nuclear war can also gently caress off?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Timeless Appeal posted:

I got you, but what if mostly intact major US cities after a nuclear war can also gently caress off?

Regardless of realism(heh), navigating Boston was much, much better than the DC subway tunnels and I predict any representation of NYC would follow suit.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
If they ever did Fallout in New York I'd hope they go the route of having everyone living on the tops of skyscrapers and there's a giant FEV-laced cloud of death that makes venturing down the spires highly dangerous without hazmat suits or power armor.

Handwave the buildings being intact by saying, I dunno, that NYC was hit with experimental neutron bombs that were designed to destroy life but preserve infrastructure so the chinese marines stationed offshore could sieze the city as a beach-head. Or something, whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Regardless of realism(heh), navigating Boston was much, much better than the DC subway tunnels and I predict any representation of NYC would follow suit.

I really quite liked the underground areas of DC and I actullly wish they'd connected all the subways through Boston together in a similar manner. After Blackreach in Skyrim I've really wanted more cool underground areas in bethsoft games cos they can totally do them well if they want to.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Setting a Fallout in Mexico City also gives an excuse to bring back Raul. :ese:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

The best way I see doing NYC is to crib from Lonesome Road and have buildings that crumbled into impassable terrain. Basically just mountains, really. Hell, make a town that's just a bunch of penthouses that slammed together. I quite like exploring buildings that had become a maze of tunnels, though obviously nobody would want that through the whole game.

Reveilled posted:

If they ever did Fallout in New York I'd hope they go the route of having everyone living on the tops of skyscrapers and there's a giant FEV-laced cloud of death that makes venturing down the spires highly dangerous without hazmat suits or power armor.

That's pretty much the Van Buren pitch for Denver, just replace "a giant FEV-laced cloud of death" with "Too Many Dogs."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The subways in 3 were the absolute worst. Especially when you had to go through them instead of climbing the very climbable rubble that blocks off each area. I was so glad to be out of DC, and I feel like that's a failure on Betheda's part, because I want to explore a ruined city. That's awesome! But having to crawl through the same tunnels over and over again is not.

Although I personally still dream of Fallout: Louisiana.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

catlord posted:

Wow that jazz mutant dropped 3 trombones.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

catlord posted:

Mole Nutria, Crawfish Mirelurks, and normal gators.

And the Loup Garou.

E: actually the way I'd love to see this done is that Lousiana was never bombed but tons of radiation poured in down the river, so 200 years in the future the Brotherhood shows up in New Orleans in shock at how bad everything looks and the locals tell them to go gently caress themselves.

"Oh my God did they just nuke every road with tiny tactical nukes?"

"Those are potholes."

"Why are is there a parade of Super Mutants being cheered?"

"Oh the Saints just won the Super Bowl"

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 2, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MJBuddy posted:

Mole Nutria, Crawfish Mirelurks, and normal gators.

And the Loup Garou.

E: actually the way I'd love to see this done is that Lousiana was never bombed but tons of radiation poured in down the river, so 200 years in the future the Brotherhood shows up in New Orleans in shock at how bad everything looks and the locals tell them to go gently caress themselves.

"Oh my God did they just nuke every road with tiny tactical nukes?"

"Those are potholes."

"Why are is there a parade of Super Mutants being cheered?"

"Oh the Saints just won the Super Bowl"

Throw in a Fouke Monster and you've got my childhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

A Fallout based on the Gulf Coast in an arc from Texas to the Florida panhandle would own v much.