Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He still called her his partner when he talked about the ranking explanation on the subway, but you're right that she isn't counted right now.

I was just point out that she has not been subservient since the marriage regardless of her name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Hunt11 posted:

My take is that it shows just how pathetic the villains really are. They want to be able to do whatever they want but the slightest sign of consequences for all their bullshit and they start crying about how unfair it all is.

In this respect they are entirely like the villains of real life.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do think we're going to see Councilwoman Sheila have a blow up before the end of the season (either quitting villainy or staging a violent coup to become the new Sovereign), as she's pretty much the only person (besides Dr. Z) taking the Guild seriously, and all the weight seems to be on her shoulders with no one giving a gently caress or offering to help. Phantom Limb seems to have become the supervillain version of Frasier, and I wouldn't mind him just...going away if he continues to be a useless fop instead of becoming someone threatening again.

I honestly enjoy useless fop Limb way more than when he was being a competent threat. He basically has gotten what he wanted (council seat/running the Guild, debatable how good he is at it) so he has no reason to develop further as a character or be a threat.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

X_Toad posted:

Are those pronouns? "Gentlemen" and "guys" feel more like titles to me.

Guys hasn't meant "bunch of men" in a long time. Hell, it used to just mean "stranger."

Also, the whole "bad guys" thing was a big odd, given that Dr G herself once said "we're professional bad guys."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sash! posted:

Guys hasn't meant "bunch of men" in a long time. Hell, it used to just mean "stranger."

Also, the whole "bad guys" thing was a big odd, given that Dr G herself once said "we're professional bad guys."

I imagine her issue is with the OSI guys calling them that, she's fine calling herself a bad guy in the right context, but them calling her and the others that is going over the line

Also just realized this is the first episode that Sheila has been in without Monarch as well

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sash! posted:

Ask a heterosexual dude if he has sex with guys.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Also just realized this is the first episode that Sheila has been in without Monarch as well

Wasn't this the case in the Billy in college flashback episode?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PostNouveau posted:

Wasn't this the case in the Billy in college flashback episode?

I meant in a major role

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Some goons really called it. First we have Dermot returning, and then we have it end up that Jonas cloned Rusty too you guys are on the ball.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tarlibone posted:

My least favorite part of the episode was Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's sudden foray into strawman strawperson, third-wave feminism. Specifically, her sudden and constant objections to male-coded pronouns is conspicuous, and it just feels like it's coming out of nowhere. She's never seemed to care about gender-coded pronouns before. Maybe there's a deleted scene or something cut out of the script that sets it up?

Don't get me wrong--she's an educated woman who is one of the most competent antagonists we see on the show, and in spite of this, she has been the target of overt sexism throughout her career. So, the fact that she's a feminist doesn't bother me; it makes perfect sense for her character. In the past, they don't deal with this side of her personality all that much, but when they do, it's usually in a fair and understandable way that isn't annoying or preachy. (I'm thinking of the scene with her, Watch, and Ward in "Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny" here.) The pronoun thing, though, just feels off somehow.

What

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

People are making mountains out of molehills - the only reason she was taking umbrage with regards to pronouns is that neither participant was willing to give an inch in the hopes of using a perceived slight to finagle better terms for their side.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

People are making mountains out of molehills - the only reason she was taking umbrage with regards to pronouns is that neither participant was willing to give an inch in the hopes of using a perceived slight to finagle better terms for their side.

Yeah I know, I'm saying "what" like "what in the hell is wrong with you"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Phantom Limb seems to have become the supervillain version of Frasier

i cant believe you think that is a bad thing

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, even as early as Season Three he was all "No one escapes Phantom Limb's poo poo list!"

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

how are guys like brock and shore leave able to keep up with the other dudes in the show. im sure theyve done hgh and steroids or whatever, but have they done the soldier serum or something? brock obviously isnt just a badass, he has to have powers somehow.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ptkfvk posted:

how are guys like brock and shore leave able to keep up with the other dudes in the show. im sure theyve done hgh and steroids or whatever, but have they done the soldier serum or something? brock obviously isnt just a badass, he has to have powers somehow.

The only superpower Brock has is knowing when someone's in his car. I'm actually kind of digging the whole "Brock isn't Superman in NYC" thing they've had going for a while now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ptkfvk posted:

In season 6 they were showing him not able to keep up all the time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Brock was very specific about being a natural bodybuilder.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So i can't quite makeout what Dr Girlfriend is saying at the end what did she say PP stood for that everyone was mistaking for pee? I can't make out what she's saying

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Peril Partnership

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

twistedmentat posted:

So i can't quite makeout what Dr Girlfriend is saying at the end what did she say PP stood for that everyone was mistaking for pee? I can't make out what she's saying

The Peril Partnership, a rival organization to the guild mentioned in Fallen Arches, with a member showing up in Every Which Way But Zeus

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I know, I'm saying "what" like "what in the hell is wrong with you"

I agree, women or NB folks in the workplace or in any situation 100% have the right to object if people are lumping them in with men. "Guys" is far from the most egregious thing, but it still carries the message "I'm going to address this mixed group as a bunch of men because there's an invisible hierarchy that we've all internalized." Is it a petty annoyance? Sure, in the grand scheme of things, but it's still an annoyance, and when life is a series of little annoyances one after another it tends to wear you down. I was actually like, way to go Sheila all episode because good on her.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 2, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Archyduke posted:

I agree, women or NB folks in the workplace or in any situation 100% have the right to object if people are lumping them in with men. "Guys" is far from the most egregious thing, but it still carries the message "I'm going to address this mixed group as a bunch of men because there's an invisible hierarchy that we've all internalized." Is it a petty annoyance? Sure, in the grand scheme of things, but it's still an annoyance, and when life is a series of little annoyances one after another it tends to wear you down. I was actually like, way to go Sheila all episode because good on her.

My only problem is that it's coming out of nowhere, and it doesn't really make sense with her character. I'm not saying that it's OK to refer to groups containing men and women by only using the word "gentlemen." I'm just saying that Sheila has never struck me as a character who is too concerned with semantics, especially when there's a bigger issue at hand. If this were something that had been a problem in the past, or something that she complained about, or if there were something in a recent episode that was said (or written or that happened) that set her off about this, then it'd make sense. As it stands, though, it feels like it was something they did in this episode just so that they can set Doc up so he can call them all "children" when she objects for the umpteenth time because he said "guys." It also feels like the kind of thing that won't come back ever again.

Don't get me wrong, that was a great bit of dialogue, Doc's rant. And getting an opening to reinforce the fact that he thinks they're just children makes it sting just a little more. I just don't care for how they got there, that's all.

Seriously, if this were really such a big deal for her, then why would she allow anyone to call her Dr. Mrs. The Monarch? Someone who won't let a single utterance of "guys" pass unchallenged doesn't mind the fact that her coworkers all refer to her using a name based on her relationship to her man? Sorry, but it's not adding up.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Some pretty crazy theories out there at the moment. Remember Treister got the PP cancer.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only superpower Brock has is knowing when someone's in his car. I'm actually kind of digging the whole "Brock isn't Superman in NYC" thing they've had going for a while now.

Brock seems pretty okay with that though, Hell he actually seems a lot happier being a big fish getting to fight even bigger fish than when he was as a big fish fighting smaller fish in previous seasons.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The decision to shift Brock away from an implacable murder monster into a competent-but-meatheaded agent was one of the best things for the show.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dishwasherlove posted:

Some pretty crazy theories out there at the moment. Remember Treister got the PP cancer.

:aaa:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

dishwasherlove posted:

Why would a Galactus care about supervillain guilds?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ironslave posted:

implacable murder monster
Reminder: he mostly killed (okay mass murdered) Guild henchmen, mostly the monarch's, and they are notoriously super nerdy. Not that he wasn't up for more difficult challenges (like not-disney top henchman) but 85% of his murders are basically fat guys in fetish suits.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 2, 2018

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Toplowtech posted:

Reminder: he mostly killed (okay mass murdered) Guild henchmen, mostly the monarch's, and they are notoriously super nerdy.

I'm referring more to his portrayal in season 1 vs. how he's been shown since, not from season 5 to 6.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I avoided reading the thread until I got a chance to watch the episode, and then I got sick of reading the thread because I had to click 1 - 3 times on every post.

Can we change the spoiler rule? The episode is out on Fridays. It has debuted on its primary medium of delivery to audiences, and is available to all. More importantly, if 98% of a thread's posts are spoiler-tagged for three days, then anyone who hasn't seen the episode wouldn't bother reading it anyway. It's silly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ironslave posted:

The decision to shift Brock away from an implacable murder monster into a competent-but-meatheaded agent was one of the best things for the show.

Interestingly it seems to be an in-character shift, as Brock in flashbacks is still a quiet murder and loving machine contrasting his modern more nuanced portrayal. While Hatred for all his silliness has a more rounded skillset, resulting in them actually working well together rather than trying to show each other up.

And as for the meeting, I think an overall theme was a dynamic that'd be very familiar to someone who's supervised varying numbers of children. One's a person you can talk to, two's a party, three's a crowd. Pretty much every time a point comes up that one of the Guild or OSI would be ready to concede, another one argues it, and they end up magnifying their worst traits. (and those are some pretty bad traits) ...interestingly, Rusty's experience here is probably specifically from having TWO kids, not an only child like he was, and having to mediate between them all their lives. He's actually not a too bad father when he's at home with the boys, it's when he tries to involve them in adventures and super-science when it all goes to poo poo.

I think Sheila's entirely in the right to demand gender-neutral language both because they're specifically negotiating a treaty where the wording is and will be important, and because they're supposed to be meeting on equal ground and showing each other enough begrudging respect to hammer something out. (and she's certainly dealt with enough bullshit throughout her career of the Guild's weird attitude towards female villains, while the OSI should at least in theory be equal-opportunity, they're certainly diverse enough. And hell, even Rusty makes an effort to be polite about it) She's gotten Phantom Limb, previously an unapologetic sexist, to accept her as an equal at long last, she's got no reason to put up with that from anyone else.

Speaking of the OSI... their attitude makes a lot of since considering everything with them up to this point. Gathers and Brock specifically were going after the Guild even during the Pyramid Wars when everyone thought they were long gone, and it was only recently revealed to them that the Pyramid Wars were based on a lie that wiped out the Guild's biggest competition. They see no reason to trust the Guild when they've been undermining and manipulating the OSI for decades, and they can't pin it all on the Sovereign. And while the Guild recognises on some level that they're really just playing cops and robbers with real guns, the OSI tend to be fairly blind to how they're basically a bunch of unaccountable war criminals playing ridiculous espionage games and throwing their weight around even when it gets in their own way. That and the Guild are quite happy to lose as long as they had their fun.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

Papa fears the cansker!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I watched the lepidopterists again today and the “good guy is not the correct term, please say protagonist” thing came up there too. It makes complete sense for Sheila to insist the exact same fairness when saying guys or girls.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Reminder: he mostly killed (okay mass murdered) Guild henchmen, mostly the monarch's, and they are notoriously super nerdy. Not that he wasn't up for more difficult challenges (like not-disney top henchman) but 85% of his murders are basically fat guys in fetish suits.

no. his LAST pile of corpses have been monarch's henchmen but his pile of bodies through the series is quite full of badasses

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Sash! posted:

I'm figuring some of this is the result of her position, and the new perspectives it offered. Wasn't demanding respect one of the motivations leading her down the path of villainy in the first place?

If Sheila is frustrated with how she's being treated even after being on the council, I can see she'd take measures appropriate to her new agency.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

[spoiler]...since it's out that the Sovereign pinning Movie Night on SPHINX led to the OSI leaving the Guild practically entirely unmolested for years while wiping out one of their biggest competition...[/spoiler]

Speaking of the infamous Movie Night - we still don't know what really happened, do we?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of the infamous Movie Night - we still don't know what really happened, do we?

Sharkey’s Machine

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Red Mantle and Dragoon are really showing their age in that episode.

"Oh my! Whale-shaped sweet-meat! How gay! What a glorious confection!"
"Oh dear Lord! This isn't cake! This is iced cream!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Nope. And speaking of, isn't it kind of cheap on the part of the authors to have left Jonas' murder a mystery when apparently every O.S.I. grunt thought that they knew the truth? Why would Brock even ask Kano if he did it back in season 3? I know this isn't the first small inconsistency brought on by their somewhat improvisational style, but still!

Also, we still don't know who killed the Blue Morpho.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I just want to say that I love all the Guild business, and I could watch their hokey 70's training and recruitment films for days, there are at least one hundred and eight of them!

Give me the entire set of Dr. Z's work and I'd be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoSN7oalIec