Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
How does Plex handle moving files between drives? Will it know a file has moved locations and keep the watched status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My own experience is that Plex is good at making GBS threads the bed when you do things like that. I always lose custom art and stuff, even if I keep everything the same and even though I use Trakt for watch status, I readded a show I got a few episodes through before and it doesn’t seem to acknowledge that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

wolfbiker posted:

How does Plex handle moving files between drives? Will it know a file has moved locations and keep the watched status?

Straight up cut/pasting the file to a new location is finicky. Safest way is to make a copy first.

1) Copy original file to new location
2) Scan library files
3) When Plex sees you have 2 of that same file (you will see an icon on the top right of the media entry's poster), select "split into separate library items"
4) Delete file from original location
5) Scan library again
6) Empty library trash to get rid of the duplicate entry that should have a trash icon over its poster

[edit] Here's how to split apart duplicate files in a Plex library https://support.plex.tv/articles/201018248-merge-or-split-items/

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 31, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

teagone posted:

Straight up cut/pasting the file to a new location is finicky. Safest way is to make a copy first.

2) Scan library files
3) When Plex sees you have 2 of that same file (you will see an icon on the top right of the media entry's poster), select "split into separate library items"
4) Scan library again
5) Empty library trash to get rid of the duplicate entry that should have a trash icon over its poster

[edit] Here's how to split apart duplicate files in a Plex library https://support.plex.tv/articles/201018248-merge-or-split-items/

This is quite helpful, I'd suggest adding it to the OP.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Atomizer posted:

This is quite helpful, I'd suggest adding it to the OP.

I forgot to add the step where you delete the original file haha. But yeah, I'll add it to the FAQ section.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

insularis posted:

Trip report on Premium TV through Silicon Dust:

My home internet connection is fiber, and it's solid (A+ across the board on the DSLReports test). I have no issues streaming 4K content from any other provider. My connection is 80/20 ... not the fastest, but not bad, and it's flat line stable when maxed out. 720p content should only take about 6Mb/s.

Premium TV was a straight up return to 2005. Constant buffering. The picture was lovely, and it didn't degrade in a DirectTV manner, but it buffered for 1-2 seconds every 5-20 seconds. I'm not sure if they have peering problems, CDN issues, or capacity limitations, but it was extremely unimpressive at my location. Can't even record NatGeo without tons of pauses, which is what I wanted to develop a nice collection of using this. I haven't seen a buffering pause out of Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, or even my own Plex server in years. Just this service.

Maybe I'll give it another try in 6 months, but they really should have offered a 3 day trial or something to ensure they could provide adequate service to a region.

Haven't had much of a problem with it yet. Silicon Dust isn't using their own system; they did an arrangement with one of the other OTT providers (not sure who, some folks believe it is the same one Vue uses).

There are still some issues being sorted out - no 720p support (it's all 1080i at the moment) and 30fps, which makes some channels look jerky. They've already commented that this is "limited beta" and they are working out those and other issues.

Also it depends on your client; how do the OTA channels work for you? Is it just the streaming channels with the problem? Some devices like Roku still don't support Mpeg-2 (even though the patents have expired and their chipset would support it) so for those kinds of devices Plex and others transcode, which can cause issues. SD sends everything, even the streaming channels, in Mpeg-2 .ts containers. Other services like Sling and Vue use http-live.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

teagone posted:

2) Scan library files
4) Delete file from original location
5) Scan library again
6) Empty library trash to get rid of the duplicate entry that should have a trash icon over its poster

Too much work, will move then rebuild entire library.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

insularis posted:

Trip report on Premium TV through Silicon Dust:

My home internet connection is fiber

My connection is 80/20

Wait, like FTTH? Who is offering that slow FTTH asymmetrical service?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

When moving my Plex library I was just able to change the mount point to the new location. Or for network storage just change the new storage to the old name and IP.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'm eliminating my old file server and condensing the 10 drives down to six attached to my office PC so I think it will be easier to just rebuild the entire library.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Wait, like FTTH? Who is offering that slow FTTH asymmetrical service?

I'm in a very, very rural area. We just got fiber last year through a co-op. Before that I was on 20/1 DSL for 10 years, and that was the best package they offered. Don't even ask what my 80/20 costs.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

Haven't had much of a problem with it yet. Silicon Dust isn't using their own system; they did an arrangement with one of the other OTT providers (not sure who, some folks believe it is the same one Vue uses).

There are still some issues being sorted out - no 720p support (it's all 1080i at the moment) and 30fps, which makes some channels look jerky. They've already commented that this is "limited beta" and they are working out those and other issues.

Also it depends on your client; how do the OTA channels work for you? Is it just the streaming channels with the problem? Some devices like Roku still don't support Mpeg-2 (even though the patents have expired and their chipset would support it) so for those kinds of devices Plex and others transcode, which can cause issues. SD sends everything, even the streaming channels, in Mpeg-2 .ts containers. Other services like Sling and Vue use http-live.

OTA is just fine (Homerun Extend box), no issues at all ... I record and commercial cut several kid's show episodes a day for my kid, so I'd have noticed if there were any persistent issues. I checked it on an Intel NUC i7 (our primary "TV" device, sending HDMI to the AV receiver) and a Thinkpad T580, so I doubt it's equipment related. Plex runs in a VM on a separate server with 4x2.2GHz cores and 8GB of RAM allocated to it for transcoding.

I'll give it another try before my 1 month subscription runs out and see if they've worked out any issues. I really don't think it's on my side.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

insularis posted:

I'm in a very, very rural area. We just got fiber last year through a co-op. Before that I was on 20/1 DSL for 10 years, and that was the best package they offered. Don't even ask what my 80/20 costs.

What does your 80/20 cost?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The last 20 megabits are 80% of the cost.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

What does your 80/20 cost?

$165/month (work covers half of it for me). The only step up is a 250/250 business class account with them for $350/mo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

insularis posted:

$165/month (work covers half of it for me). The only step up is a 250/250 business class account with them for $350/mo.

That's not bad for way out in the middle of nowhere, and you know it's a co-op not horse fuckers. It's not like 99% of people use the "up" bandwidth, and they likely are banking on netflix caching devices and such to save them a bunch of money on "down."

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

That's not bad for way out in the middle of nowhere, and you know it's a co-op not horse fuckers. It's not like 99% of people use the "up" bandwidth, and they likely are banking on netflix caching devices and such to save them a bunch of money on "down."

Yeah, I'm actually pretty close with two of the lead people at the co-op (we talk tech over lunch a couple of times a month), and the backbone here is just ... small. Quality, but small. My concession to them is that even though I'm a very heavy user, their upstream billing is sampled (95th percentile) during a 5 minute window from 9pm-12am at random, so I have all my automated stuff pause during those hours so as to be polite.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I guess I don't understand, I thought the pinch point was almost always at the last mile as far as bandwidth. I pay $70 a month for 1000/1000.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

I guess I don't understand, I thought the pinch point was almost always at the last mile as far as bandwidth. I pay $70 a month for 1000/1000.

We're almost all last mile out here, and the closest ISP has a backbone connection of 25Gb/s total (I've been told, anyway), for servicing over 2000 people spread across a 30 sq. mile area. Costs are high to provide it, and total bandwidth is limited.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Three Olives posted:

For shared mediums (Coaxial/CATV/DOCSIS) and ones which rely extensively on timing (DSL) this is the case. But most of the cost in everything last mile is the physical cable itself, which can come in at $100/foot or more. This isn't just the cost of the fiber, but a "all in" cost of installation, permitting, etc. A lot of this depends on where it's going, aerial is less, underground is more. What exists to get it there (Existing conduit or poles you can lease), and if the incumbent / monopoly holder is willing to play ball regardless of their legal obligations. The reason ATT and their ilk (hereafter referred to as Horse Fuckers) don't do it is there isn't enough profit in it. Those same horse fuckers control the conduit/poles/etc, and in some cases the various municipalities.

$165/month is a really good price considering all that went in to it, and is likely a fair price on a 10 year amortization schedule on their capital improvements.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

For shared mediums (Coaxial/CATV/DOCSIS) and ones which rely extensively on timing (DSL) this is the case. But most of the cost in everything last mile is the physical cable itself, which can come in at $100/foot or more. This isn't just the cost of the fiber, but a "all in" cost of installation, permitting, etc. A lot of this depends on where it's going, aerial is less, underground is more. What exists to get it there (Existing conduit or poles you can lease), and if the incumbent / monopoly holder is willing to play ball regardless of their legal obligations. The reason ATT and their ilk (hereafter referred to as Horse Fuckers) don't do it is there isn't enough profit in it. Those same horse fuckers control the conduit/poles/etc, and in some cases the various municipalities.

$165/month is a really good price considering all that went in to it, and is likely a fair price on a 10 year amortization schedule on their capital improvements.

No, I get that, what I don't get is once you have already dragged the fiber from home to the head-end I thought the internet capacity cost at the head-end was fairly negligible cost wise.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 1, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Three Olives posted:

No, I get that, what I don't get is once you have already dragged the fiber from home to the head-end I thought the internet capacity cost at the head-end was fairly negligible cost wise.

It really depends on where they are in the world. If you aren't near other fiber trunks the convincing bandwidth interconnection folks to meet you there can be daunting. They have a certain level of service they provide which requires a decent capital investment.

I would be curious what the isp says on why they don't offer symmetric connections. Since they seem to be your buddy can you ask them?

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I would be curious what the isp says on why they don't offer symmetric connections. Since they seem to be your buddy can you ask them?

If I can work it in without sounding accusatory, I will. They do offer it for the business plans, so I believe it's backbone billing related. I'll see what I can find out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I keep getting "Recording Failed: Live TV session" when I try to tune Live TV. Requires a restart of Plex Server and then it's fine.

Plex forums look like this is an issue that is yet to be resolved. Bummer. The HD Homerun software works 100% of the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

sellouts posted:

I keep getting "Recording Failed: Live TV session" when I try to tune Live TV. Requires a restart of Plex Server and then it's fine.

Plex forums look like this is an issue that is yet to be resolved. Bummer. The HD Homerun software works 100% of the time.

I have Task Scheduler restarting my Plex server every night at 3am for this very reason.

They kind of suck at fixing poo poo like that.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Plex and Sonarr... is there any way to get the connect feature that notifies Plex when a download is completed to scan only the new item, and not the entire library? It's causing problems when an entire season has been upgraded because it's triggering a full scan after each and every episode completion.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Plex and Sonarr... is there any way to get the connect feature that notifies Plex when a download is completed to scan only the new item, and not the entire library? It's causing problems when an entire season has been upgraded because it's triggering a full scan after each and every episode completion.

Not sure what you're saying. I have Sonarr have the download agent drop the file in a plex library folder, it picks it up on the next scan and life is good

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Millstone posted:

Not sure what you're saying. I have Sonarr have the download agent drop the file in a plex library folder, it picks it up on the next scan and life is good

Yeah sure that works of course but Sonarr has the ability to tell Plex to add new stuff as soon as it has completed processing rather than waiting until the next scan. What I have noticed is that rather than just adding the new file, Sonarr's prompt is causing Plex to run a complete scan. I'm wondering if this is just the way Sonarr's connection to Plex works and it's "scan all or none", or if it is possible to have Sonarr tell Plex to only add the new episode without running a full scan.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve never bothered having any notification system between Sonarr and Plex, I just have the options in Plex tagged to scan the specific folder when it sniffs a change. Hasn’t seemed to caused me any issues in a few years.

Only issue with this method is you can’t use a drive as a root, you need it to be like D:\TV\ for whatever reason.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I wish I could do that but my Mac doesn't sense changes in the media folder on my NAS mounted via SMB. That's why I was playing with the connect feature but maybe I'll just have to stick to scheduled scans instead.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think the option to detect file adds in Plex only works for local drives. I just have mine to scan every 15 mins.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I’m Mac too, but never had the funds to buy a NAS setup and just hang 8tb drives off USB now and then. Didn’t realize that wasn’t a feature that worked over the network.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dicty Brojangles posted:

On the Plex server library settings, do you have "Scan my library automatically" and/or "Run a partial scan when changes are detected" on? If you're using Sonarr connect options, you want those plex settings disabled. I think that's the way its supposed to be at least.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

phosdex posted:

On the Plex server library settings, do you have "Scan my library automatically" and/or "Run a partial scan when changes are detected" on? If you're using Sonarr connect options, you want those plex settings disabled. I think that's the way its supposed to be at least.

I have both of those disabled and a full scan is still triggered. Oh well such is life.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Internet Explorer posted:

I think the option to detect file adds in Plex only works for local drives. I just have mine to scan every 15 mins.

Works on Windows using mount as network drive. Works on Linux by mounting the drives to a folder via /etc/fstab. Works in OSX by... adding a networked share to Automatic Login items maybe? I don’t know how you permanently mount Windows shares in Mac.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Works on Windows using mount as network drive. Works on Linux by mounting the drives to a folder via /etc/fstab. Works in OSX by... adding a networked share to Automatic Login items maybe? I don’t know how you permanently mount Windows shares in Mac.

It doesn't work on mine using fstab mounts. Full scans on a timer are the only thing that works for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Plex docs seem to support what I'm saying - https://support.plex.tv/articles/200289306-scanning-vs-refreshing-a-library/

Note: In most cases, this should work for content on local filesystems. It will generally not work for network shares mounted via SMB, NFS, AFP, or similar.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Plex docs seem to support what I'm saying - https://support.plex.tv/articles/200289306-scanning-vs-refreshing-a-library/

Note: In most cases, this should work for content on local filesystems. It will generally not work for network shares mounted via SMB, NFS, AFP, or similar.

The feature most os's use is a variation of 'inotify'. It is os+filesystem combo dependant, which includes the remote side and sharing protocol. So while Linux+ext4+smb+windows might work, that same combo with a different version of windows might not. Inotify also doesn't scale well, so if you mount a disk which 10's of thousands of files (regardless of if plex sees them) it can cause issues.

What I am trying to say is that it's way more complicated than a blanket statement can cover.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
You are way better off using push notifications (SABNzb, Sonarr, Couchpotato, etc. - most of them support it) to Plex when those programs add new content, and schedule daily scans for misc. stuff (or kick off a scan manually).

Real time monitoring is finicky and can cause other problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So I'm trying to get my server to play trailers before a movie starts. Though instead of actual trailers I want it to randomly pick 3 files out of a folder called 'trailers'. I've tried all the stuff from the Plex forums about turning this feature on in Extras and moving Local Media Assets to the top of its respective Agents settings, ald all the files end in -trailer, but no dice. My preroll file seems to play fine, but it's not touching the trailers folder. Any ideas on what I'm missing?