Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

The Lone Badger posted:

Aim.. It's impossible for us to hit 9 targets with one gun, so we have to hit 100% instead.

Funnily enough I think one of the gun options at the beginning of the game was a 9-shooter. It was also like a .22 though so gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We need to arrest SOMEONE today. You're coming with me.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

achtungnight posted:

Not arresting you. Disturbing the peace with a gunshot in the Wild West isn’t really a big deal and it’s all we got her on. Maybe she’ll owe us a favor or a fine next decision. Our jail needs a little fixing up anyway. I think we’ve gained respect with the shooting at least, right?

Sounds right to me

Slor The Destroyer
Aug 4, 2012
Not arresting you. She shot at that guy at the beginning for some reason, and didn't hit him for a deliberate reason.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 2. "I'm not arresting you."

Too bad there isn't an option to 'let her off with a verbal warning'.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Slor The Destroyer posted:

Not arresting you. She shot at that guy at the beginning for some reason, and didn't hit him for a deliberate reason.

Seems legit.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Slor The Destroyer posted:

Yeah her accuracy here proves that if she wanted to hit the guy, she would've hit the guy. We'll probably get more of the story without being an rear end. Not arresting.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

CourValant posted:

Too bad there isn't an option to 'let her off with a verbal warning'.

There is, it just requires you to first take her in (presumably because adding it into all the options where you can arrest her would be a lot of extra words compared to having all those arrests link to one common source of "how do you want to handle this once you've arrested her?" which covers things ranging from warnings to fines to prison time).

Anyways, votes are pretty clear that she's not going to jail, mostly because we're not sure if she did all that much.

quote:

"I'm not arresting you." (+5 Caraway)

"No?" she asks and cocks an eyebrow. "Well, maybe you ain't what I thought when I first got a look at you. If'n you want to have a drink, you know where to find me."

(Honor slightly increased, Law and Order slightly decreased) (+2 Honor, -2 Law, -2 Order

With that she tips her hat and saunters back over to the Mother-Lode.

(Gunfighting increased) (+4 Gunfighting)

End of chapter two

We're done with another chapter, and with it we have the option to save our game.

quote:

Interlude one

Preston Springs is a lively place and thankfully you don't have to arrest anyone today; maybe not even tomorrow either. Even better, Preston's latest 'gift' has almost filled your pockets.

(Wealth increased)

Skip the window shopping this time around.
Head over to the Saddler.
Step on over to the General Store.
See what Godfrey the gunsmith has in stock.
Look into a lot to purchase for a home.
Gather materials to fix up my office.
Find some idle men to help fix up my office.
Head to the Blacksmith.

Tin Star doesn't just have a series of story chapters, it also has a scattering of interlude chapters between the bigger events, a form of downtime where you can spend time and money to improve your abilities. We're going to investigate all the various shops and at least say hello to everyone, but it's up to the thread how we want to spend our money now that we're not broke anymore.

Question 1: Should I tell you the actual mechanics of the wealth system? Unlike the other stats where you can always look up influence or skills whenever you want, the wealth system is hidden behind an abstraction. I strongly suspect it's because of the way the wealth system is tracked- while you gain and spend wealth in a linear fashion, if you just stockpile it because you want to get paid the descriptor gets more and more impressive even though if you interpreted it linearly it'd only be a few hundred dollars at the richest end (there's no mechanical benefit to stockpiling, just bragging rights). If desired I can just track it myself, telling you exactly how much we have and what we can spend it on during the interludes so you can budget accordingly.

Question 2: What sort of things are we interested in? There's various items that we can buy that boost different stats in a variety of ways, and we can probably afford a couple of them. We can also look into fixing up our office or even get into acquiring and developing a place to call home.

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions: Dan Schmidt, prospector. Ben Carson, cowboy.
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Enough to drink the occasional beer in a saloon.
Values:
Order: 55% Freedom: 45%
Honor: 60% Arbitrary: 40%
Law: 46% Individuality: 54%
Notoriety: 0% Anonymity: 100%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 44%
Sharpshooting: 32%
Brawling: 34%
Riding: 33%
Survival: 32%
Legal: 14%
Engineering: 10%
Explosives: 17%
Persuasion: 30%
Intimidate: 34%
Stamina: 26%
Resolve: 37%

Influence:
Influence Carson: 68%
Influence Schmidt: 72%
Influence Caraway: 72%
Influence Preston: 80%
Influence Marshal James: 55%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I suggest you tell us the system if you can for those not familiar with the game. I personally am interested in stat boosts over cosmetics but it’s not always clear which is which, especially since we have yet to see the shopping lists.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

achtungnight posted:

I suggest you tell us the system if you can for those not familiar with the game. I personally am interested in stat boosts over cosmetics but it’s not always clear which is which, especially since we have yet to see the shopping lists.

:same:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah even despite my playing through this, the wealth system always felt weird and opaque to me so I'd want to hear about it.

I really like the idea behind the interlude chapters, but they make an already huge game bigger, and maybe I'm dense, but I think they didn't add nearly enough to warrant their inclusion. There are some really cool flavor bits though, especially for theater fans.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Yeah, this pretty much aligns with my thoughts, since I was already leaning more towards explaining things.

Right now our arrangement with Preston is excellent and will give us 4 wealth every interlude chapter, which is a good chunk of change that pays off a lot over the course of the game. We haven't gotten anything else so all we have is just that 4.

Our Shopping options right now.

Saddler
-Saddle: 2 wealth, boosts Riding
-Holster: 2 wealth, boosts choice of Gunfighting, Intimidate or Brawling
-Rifle case: 2 wealth, boosts choice of Sharpshooting, Intimidate or Survival

General Store
-Chocolate: 1 wealth, is chocolate
-Hat: 2 wealth, boosts choice of Persuasion or Intimidate
-Harmonica: 1 wealth, is a harmonica
-Hammer: 2 wealth, or 3 wealth with nails. Used for building things faster

Gun Shop
-Trade Weapon: No net costs, just exchange our current pistol (Colt Walker) for one of the ones in stock (Colt Walker, Nickle thirty-two, Smith & Wesson Model one). So trading our big gun for either the tiny gun or the fast-loading one.
-Pistol maintenance: 1 wealth, boosts Gunfighting
-Rifle sights upgrade 1: 1 wealth, boosts Sharpshooting

Blacksmith
-Melee weapon: 1 wealth to sharpen our knife, 2 wealth to build a custom weapon. Boosts Brawling
-Reshoe horse: 1 wealth, boosts Riding

Construction Stuff
-Idle men: 2 wealth, helps build things faster
-Materials for the office: 1 wealth, but Preston also provides free materials
-Materials for your home: 2 wealth

Speaking of construction stuff, here's an actual choice.

quote:

As it turns out, J.T. Preston sits on the Housing Board that handles the sale of all lots within the town bounds.

Go to Preston and negotiate a price.

quote:

You catch sight of Preston as he is taking a stroll about town; shadowed by a pair of his shotgun toting deputies.

He waves amiably as you approach, "Marshal! Good to see you again."

1. "I'm looking to buy a plot of land in town. Somewhere near the businesses."
2. "I'd like to inquire about a plot of land, anywhere cheap."

Just stake a place outside of town. That is as free as it gets.

quote:

There are plenty of patches outside of town that might suit a home. Staking your bounds by the river is nice for getting water, but a pain in spring when flooding comes. Anywhere in the flat-lands is nice and dry though that means you'll have to sink a well or haul a lot of water.

3. Start down by the river.
4. Stay to the flat lands.

We're so tight with Preston that nothing here is actually going to cost us, so we can grab ourselves a lot even if we don't intend on doing anything just yet with it. Of course, you can always vote for None of the above if you don't want to deal with this at all.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

If it's free anyway get a plot of land in town, then see what we can do with it before we spend anything.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Get a plot of land in town. If it’s free, why not? On the spending, let’s grab a hat and holster because it doesn’t feel right to me being in the Wild West without that stuff. Boost Persuasion & Gunfighting, they seem more commonly used than other choices on tap. Hoping we get more wealth later so we can get other stuff like hammer and home materials if we end up wanting them. I’m going to assume we can sleep in our broken office if necessary but fixing it up and getting a fixed up home might have benefits at some point.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Get a plot of land in town. If it’s free, why not? On the spending, let’s grab a hat and holster because it doesn’t feel right to me being in the Wild West without that stuff. Boost Persuasion & Gunfighting, they seem more commonly used than other choices on tap. Hoping we get more wealth later so we can get other stuff like hammer and home materials if we end up wanting them. I’m going to assume we can sleep in our broken office if necessary but fixing it up and getting a fixed up home might have benefits at some point.

This all seems reasonable.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

1) Obtain plot of land in town (Free)

2) Hat: Boost Persuasion (2 wealth)

3) Pistol maintenance: Boost Gunfighting (1 wealth)

4) Harmonica: Because I'm willing to bet playing the harmonica will lead to some unique in-game options (1 wealth)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hat!

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 31, 2018

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

achtungnight posted:

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Get a plot of land in town. Then buy Hammer and Nails (3 Wealth) and get your horse reshoed. (1 Wealth)

We need to fix up the office pronto, which the hammer and nails will certainly help with. We also can't assume that trouble will only happen in town, so reshoeing your horse will let you be ready to chase down outlaws or catch an out-of-control train or whatever it is Marshalls do.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
First up, let's get ourselves some free real estate.

quote:

As it turns out, J.T. Preston sits on the Housing Board that handles the sale of all lots within the town bounds.

Go to Preston and negotiate a price.
Just stake a place outside of town. That is as free as it gets.

You catch sight of Preston as he is taking a stroll about town; shadowed by a pair of his shotgun toting deputies.

He waves amiably as you approach, "Marshal! Good to see you again."

"I'm looking to buy a plot of land in town. Somewhere near the businesses."
"I'd like to inquire about a plot of land, anywhere cheap."

"Now that is prime placing," Preston points out. "But I'm happy to let it go to you for a song. Heck, you don't even have to sing."

And just like that, a fine lot in town is yours.

A quality acquisition, now let's head down over to the Saddler to see about getting ourselves a holster.

quote:

Head over to the Saddler.

The saddler's is a less a store than an open workshop. Heaps of leather in various stages of stretching and cuts lies strewn around two and a half benches.

The aptly named Timothy Sadler sets down his scrape and trundles on over. His white apron is, as always, oddly bright against his darker skin. What exactly his mixed heritage happens to be it is hard to say; the man certainly never does.

"How do Marshal," Timothy calls out. Most people around these parts know a bit about leather. Some know a lot. But few love to work it day in and out. "What can I help you with? If its leather I can make it."

Just start chatting.

quote:

"That's right kind," Timothy nods. "I mean, you getting to know people around these parts. Being out here has to be different than San Fran. Or were you more the Sacramento way?"

(Persuasion very slightly increased) (+1 Persuasion)

"San Fran. And yeah, it is different."
"Personally, I like it here," Timothy says rather jovially. "You can do your work and do it right without any nonsense coming your way."

"Sacramento, but I did get a good look at San Francisco."
"Pretty town, isn't it?" Timothy says. "I love the smell of salt coming off the bay. Its like waking up to sizzling bacon."

"Can't remember. California was a nightmare to me."
"Was it? Didn't seem that way to me, but then I wasn't there long," Timothy shrugs."

"No idea. I came down through Oregon."
"Oh. Didn't know that," Timothy shrugs. "They got lots of rivers in Oregon. At least, last I heard."
Keep chatting

quote:

The two of you talk a while longer, but then Timothy glances out the window and blinks at what he finds, "Day's going past. Was there something I could help you with, Marshal?"
"That's all for now, thanks."
"I'd like to order a custom saddle. I didn't have time to grab mine before I swung from California."

"I was wondering if you had time to craft a holster for me."

quote:

"Sure can. Its all leather after all," Timothy says with a hint of a chuckle. "What've you got in mind?"

"I need a low slung rig to help me skin out my pistol quick."
"Sure can do Marshal," Timothy replies then swiftly takes your measurements. "A boy will bring it by later."

(Gunfighting slightly increased, Wealth slightly decreased) (+2 Gunfighting, -2 Wealth)

"Something big, black and nasty. Like a little coffin at my hip."
"Its got to be reinforced so I can load my pistol grip with lead to whoop on people with."
"Never mind."
"I was wondering if you had time to craft a rifle-case for me."

"That's all for now, thanks."
"Then you take care now," Timothy says and clearly means it.

Then it's over to the General Store get ourselves a fancy hat.

quote:

Step on over to the General Store.

The general store is a two story affair with a barn in back. Even from here you smell the corn seed, the whisk of wheat, and brough of barley. There are also a great deal of shiny little things in the front; the kind of nick-knacks that you could fuss over for days. From little silver plated harmonicas to tins of French chocolate, if it is light enough for a stage-coach to move then Matthew Wrigley probably has got it somewhere.

The man himself is perpetually tending the counter. Despite a bit of a belly and bad knees he is apparently singularly suited to running a store in the middle of nowhere. At least, no one's been able to do the same.

"Hello, hello, Marshal," Matthew waves to you from beside the counter. His graying side-burns are as neat and tidy as ever. "Looking for something in particular?"

"Got a moment to talk?"

quote:

"For you I do. Things have been lively as of late," Matthew says then tugs at a handkerchief at his belt. "Awfully glad that Miss Caraway is alright. Where bottles are concerned, she's a good customer. And I finally got Tumbleweed Jack to settle his tab. He came by to pay off and larder up for his trip to Elko."

The two of you chat a while but Matthew is all about the business and so the instant a new customer comes in he is off like a shot to try and make a sale.

"I'd like to look at those chocolates there."
"I'm looking for an evening hat. Something amiable."

quote:

"I've got just the thing. Its a white rancher with a steady band, a silver buckle up front and an African feather along the side. Just the sort of thing to get people to open up to you." Matthew notes and retrieves the hat. It is indeed a swank thing. White as bone and as crisp as a fritter. He absently swirls it about a finger, just to show how well made it is. "Or, if you want something a little more your style…"

By the time you are done sorting through the hats you have something that fits just right. Coins pass over and it is yours.

(Persuasion increased, Wealth slightly decreased) +3 Persuasion, -2 Wealth

"I'm looking for a hat that tells everyone I'm not to be trifled with."
"You've got a harmonica there I'd like to see."
"Let me see that hammer you've got hanging up back there."

"Be seeing you, Matthew."
You head back on out and let Matthew return to tending his store.

quote:

See what Godfrey the gunsmith has in stock.

Everybody needs a gun. Especially those who don't have one.' That's on the sign that hangs out of the three shed walkup that is Godfrey's gun shop and powder emporium.

The moment you step inside the scent of black powder tugs at your nose. Godfrey keeps all that in the rear most shed: One that he has mortared up tight so that no mice or bugs can get in like last time and cause trouble. Some of the wood boards are still scored and split on account of that incident. But even with all that work, the sharp tang still seeps out. Maybe he intends it too; after all, it is a bracing thing to inhale. Especially in the morning.

Godfrey, both bald and round, tottles out of the back carrying a shotgun. The weapon's walnut stock is polished up and fairly gleams in the sun. The barrels are, of course, open and empty as he makes his way toward the counter.

"Marshal," he says and tilts his head ever so slightly in your direction. "What brings you by?"

"Got a moment to chat?"

quote:

"Rarely," Godfrey replies. "There's too much to do and I can't be sloppy with it neither. Not if I want to keep all my fingers, to say nothing of my toes."

He sets aside the shotgun and starts in on a rifle without pause.

"Let me take a look at your handguns."
"I'd like you to give my Colt Walker a thorough looking at."
"Have you gotten in anything special for rifles?"

"I've got a few questions about black powder."

quote:

"Go ahead and ask then," Godfrey offers. "I've still got all ten of my fingers so I expect I'm an expert in these parts."

It doesn't take long to pick up a few pointers but soon enough a customer interrupts. You just know the man has got plenty more wisdom in the black powder arts in reserve, perhaps waiting for a better time.

(Explosives slightly increased) (+1 Explosives)

"I've got to go, Godfrey. Take care now."
"You too Marshal," Godfrey says and waves you on out the door.

It's never a bad idea to say high to Godfrey, since you can talk about gun powder each interlude for a minor stat boost. Not really going to amount to much, but it's there.

quote:

Blacksmiths are always well muscled. That comes from slamming hot iron repeatedly with a hammer. Shoeing horses, shifting barrels and stoking a furnace are all second to that.

Kevin Coolidge is then exactly what anyone would expect. Craggy features, spark singed skin and a powerful frame beneath his heavy leather apron. The man doesn't say much but then he never really needs to try.

"Marshal," he says as he idly considers a cooled horse shoe. The iron remains slightly bent and so it is submerged into the fiery coals where it will eventually glow red-hot once again.

All around the shop lie the instruments of his trade. A plethora of hammers and pliers that ring the sturdy stone forge. A heavy leather bellows lies beside; blows air through and sends sparks darting toward the heavens while the coals glow like the morning sun.

When at last that is done he looks to you above the surging embers with coal black eyes.

"Got a moment to talk?"

quote:

There is a long pause then at last Kevin gives a little nod. And that, apparently, is what passes for a conversation with him.

"I'd like a special weapon made."
"I'd like you to re-shoe my horse."
"Can you make something for my office, or rather the cells?"

"Guess I'm done here. Thanks for hearing me out."
"Anytime," Kevin replies then returns to his labor.

We don't have any more money to purchase supplies so we're done with the window shopping for now. We now move onto the ambling phase of the interlude, giving us the opportunity to wander around town and say hi to people.

quote:

Move on to bigger things.
Patrol the town despite Preston's 'advice'.
Raise a glass at the Mother-Lode.
Visit the Babylon saloon.
Stop in at the Evening Star.
Lounge about the Grand Haven Hotel for bit.
Ride down to Elko and see a play on their little makeshift stage.

We'll be doing at least most of these things, but one question- Do we patrol the town or not? We have a deal with Preston to stick to the county, but do we want to break it and damage our relationship? While we consider that, let's take care of the other ones. First the simple choices.

quote:

Lounge about the Grand Haven Hotel for bit.
The Grand Haven is, as ever, in grand style. Its carpeting is the best, and nearly only, kind about and the color even matches the drapes. From the chatter you hear, they serve a great pepper steak too and one equal to that of the Babylon; namely because they share the same kitchen and cook.

Ride down to Elko and see a play on their little makeshift stage.
A packed crowd gathers to watch the play 'Richard III'; a play by William Shakespeare.

It begins with the famous line 'Now is the winter of our discontent' and features the back room dealings of the humpbacked, ill stamped Richard as he vies with his brother Clarence for the kingly rights that he feels he is due. And does he ever; through duplicity and daring, through deviltry and deceit, he claws his way into the world he seeks to create in such a vile way that the audience boos his every entrance even as they hang on his every word.

The first act ends in the murder of Richard's brother Clarence by Richard's man and it only gets more bloody from there on.

A succession of executions put Richard on the throne but it is an ill kept thing for soon the flag of rebellion is raised against him first by Buckingham and then Richmond. Richard takes to the field at Bosworth to try and defeat the gathering host of his enemies, but a midnight encounter with the ghosts of those he has wronged rattles his nerve and that in turn rattles his allies who desert him. Even so, Richard presses on but is unhorsed at the climax of the battle and unable to recover, crying 'A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!'

Richmond arrives and, in a brutal duel that leaves all bloodied and torn, triumphs over the villain. A wedding ends the play along with the implicit promise of rebuilding shattered England.

Exhausted, the Audience finds the strength to cheer themselves hoarse, especially for the handsome actor who so ably played the grotesque Richard. Coins are tossed on stage, and a small bag of gold dust follows.

(Brawling slightly increased) (+2 Brawling)

The play at Elko is randomly determined from one of six possible plays, each with its own different stat boost. I'm fine with this result. Now, the first time you enter one of the three different saloons, (Mother-Lode, Babylon, Evening Star) it triggers the appearance of a short scene, though the cosmetic details differ from bar to bar. Which bar do you want to see?

quote:

A great sigh rises up from inside the saloon. There, at the far end of the bar, [scene text], a portly man stares at a shot-glass as if it holds all the secrets of the world.

"That's Sam Pitcavage," [the bartender] whispers over softly. "He's been here since noon; same glass in hand."

"I haven't had the heart to kick him out though. At least not until he drinks it."

1. "Awfully kind of you."
2. "Want me to kick him out?"
3. "Is he breaking any laws of which you are aware?"
4. Just shrug

(There's then the option to either leave him alone or come over and say hi, but I'm going to assume y'all would vote to see content)

quote:

Head over to Sam.

You step over and hear yet another one of those epic sighs waft through portly Sam. Up close, he's not quite like all the other prospectors. Heavier in the gut and ragged on the ends. Almost like a cat played with him too long.

It is the kind of look you see after someone comes into town and stays too long, except that Sam never had a pouch of gold to spend in the first place. Indeed, from the way he's considering that shot-glass, he could barely afford to fill it with flat beer.

quote:

"Hello Sam."
Sam startles and nearly spills his drink, Goll darn it, don't go sneaking up on people like that...uh, please, Marshal...

"What's the matter there?"
Sam glances over and nearly spills his drink, "Uh, nothing, Marshal."

Just settle in beside him.
Sam glances over and notes your badge, "Hello there Marshal. I wasn't doing anything wrong."

quote:

"Happened to notice you down here, not drinking."
"That I am. It has all gone sideways on me, and I'm a cart-man originally, so you know how that gets.

Just let him talk.
"Things ain't been so good for me. Its all gone sideways, and I'm a cart-man originally, so you know how that gets.

Can't find gold, even though there's plenty around. I got the pans, I got the tired back from panning, but then flecks just don't show up. I done sunk my whole livelihood into coming out here to find my own mountain of gold, but I can't even find a pebble of it."

1. "You should ask around then. Maybe you are doing something wrong. Maybe you can work for some of the others until you figure that out.
2. "If you can't pan, maybe you can protect those that do. You got a gun, right?"
3. "Well, you can't quit now, can you?"
4. Just nod.

So, to recap: Do we want to patrol the town? What saloon are we visiting? How do we talk to the bartender about Sam and What advice do we have for Sam?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
No patrol, visit the Evening Star, shrug at the bartender, tell Sam not to quit now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

achtungnight posted:

No patrol, visit the Evening Star, shrug at the bartender, tell Sam not to quit now.

Sure why not?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No patrol, evening star, is he breaking any laws, work for someone else

Slor The Destroyer
Aug 4, 2012
"If you can't pan, maybe you can protect those that do. You got a gun, right?" I'd rather have someone giving us a hand out there, even if it's just to cover a bunch of prospectors.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Yes patrol. gently caress Preston.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like it's time to see Sam at the Evening Star and tell him not to quit just yet.

quote:

Stop in at the Evening Star.

The Evening Star isn't all that different from other saloons. Oak bar, pine floor, and lots of bottles of booze. But when the lantern is hung high up in the rafters, that means the Evening Star herself is down and ready to play hostess to thirsty travelers and prospectors.

Eve, as she likes to be called, has the oddest of patois accents. She claims to have been born in Paris, raised in Quebec, and then schooled in New Orleans. Any one of those would be exotic but rolled up together in a young and beautiful figure adorned by silk and feathers, well, she's a rarity alright.

That she often talks about building a library is another thing that separates her in a land where making a mark can be a literal thing.

A great sigh rises up from inside the saloon. There, at the far end of the bar, right beside a coat rack where a big silk scarf is hung, a portly man stares at a shot-glass as if it holds all the secrets of the world.

"That's Sam Pitcavage," Ralph, the rotund bartender, whispers over softly. "He's been here since noon; same glass in hand. I haven't had the heart to kick him out though. At least not until he drinks it."

"Awfully kind of you."
"Want me to kick him out?"
"Is he breaking any laws of which you are aware?"

Just shrug.

quote:

"Things ain't been so good for me. Its all gone sideways, and I'm a cart-man originally, so you know how that gets. Can't find gold, even though there's plenty around. I got the pans, I got the tired back from panning, but then flecks just don't show up. I done sunk my whole livelihood into coming out here to find my own mountain of gold, but I can't even find a pebble of it."

"You should ask around then. Maybe you are doing something wrong. Maybe you can work for some of the others until you figure that out."
"If you can't pan, maybe you can protect those that do. You got a gun, right?"

"Well, you can't quit now, can you?"
Just nod.

quote:

"Well, you can't quit now, can you?"

"Yeah. No point. Guess I'll just double down," Sam says then slaps his hand on the bar. "My luck's gotta change eventually."

(Resolve slightly increased) (+3 Resolve)

With that he downs his shot of beer and struts on out the swinging doors of the Evening Star saloon.

With that taken care of, let's go check out the other two saloons.

quote:

Visit the Babylon Saloon

The Babylon caters to the upper crust of the townsfolk. Those that don't have to get their hands dirty unless they want. Brass fittings, silver mirrors, and canvasses from around the world adorn the interior.

Exotic drinks too, and not just odd-colored whiskey. Cactus wine, authentic honey mead, wheat beer, and a few other specialties from who knows where line the back of the bar. It also serves a grand pepper steak too, just as good as the one from the Grand Haven hotel. Mainly that's because they share a kitchen and a cook.

quote:

Raise a glass at the Mother-Lode

The Mother-Lode, the favorite watering hole of prospectors and those who don't mind drinking with them. Sure the Babylon has style and the Evening Star has quite the looker for an owner, but when you want a drink and don't mind a little mud on your boots, it is the place to go.

It helps that Mother Maddy, owner, bartender, cook, and confidant, tolerates you as she does few others who don't pan for gold. She won't speak about what brought her out here though, no matter how you ask after it. Apparently some things in the west stay secret.

And since we're not breaking our deal with Preston, we Move on to bigger things. This enters the final phase of the interlude, where we spend our time honing our skills and practicing our trades.

quote:

Nothing much is happening, at least nothing around these parts that Preston and his deputies can't tend.

1. Ride out on a circuit of Lander county as the Marshal that people expect me to be.
2. Practice incessantly with my guns.

quote:

2.1 Practice solely with my pistols.
2.2 Practice solely with my rifle.
2.3 Practice with both equally.
2.4 Practice with my pistol more than my rifle.
2.5 Practice with my rifle more than my pistol.
3.Pull out my books and get to studying.

quote:

3.1 Focus on the law texts
3.2 Dive into the engineering manuals
3.3 Memorize the flora and fauna guides
3.4 Skim through all three of your tomes
4.Get out in the fresh air and do things.

quote:

4.1 Ride my horse for hours
4.2 Go for long walks along the river
4.3 Chop wood like there's no tomorrow
5. Go prospecting for a time.
6. Hire out as a hired gun for part of a stagecoach run.
7. Fix up my office.
8. Reinforce the foundation so my house won't tilt against the nearby businesses as it rises.

We have the time to do three things. Most of these either boost stats or generate money, with the last two being to repair our office or build our house (we don't have much in the way of tools, supplies or hands, so it'd be slow). You can't do an option twice in one interlude, and if it's a subheading it'll lock out the other ones as well (so if we spent a segment practicing with pistols we couldn't spend another segment practicing with rifles during this interlude). Most of the skills should be pretty self evident, but of the remaining ones: riding a patrol boosts our Law and Order stats, long walks boosts Stamina, and chopping wood boosts Brawling and Resolve. Prospecting has some RNG elements to what comes back.

Feel free to vote for up to three things you want to see the Marshal work on.

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Current Companions: Dan Schmidt, prospector. Ben Carson, cowboy.
Wealth: Broke.
Values:

Skills:
Gunfighting: 46%
Sharpshooting: 32%
Brawling: 36%
Explosives: 19%
Persuasion: 34%
Resolve: 40%

Influence:

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 2, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let’s practice equally with both pistol & rifle, hire out on a stagecoach run, and fix up the office.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Practice both equally, memorize the flora and fauna, and chop wood.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Practice shooting with a pistol, study laws re shooting people with pistols, then go rise out.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Practice guns equally, hire out as a hired gun , fix up office.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 2, 2018

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Avalerion posted:

Practice guns equally, hire out as a hired gun , fix up office.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to get better with guns.

quote:

Practice with both equally.

You trade off firing rounds down range, near and far. Can't hurt to be good at both.

(Sharpshooting and Gunfighting very slightly increased) (+1 to Sharpshooting and Gunfighting)

Sadly, the game gives +2 to one stat and +1 to another if you practice more with rifles or pistols, so you're always better off slightly favoring one. Let's at least put our gunslinging skills to work.

quote:

The work is starting to pile up already. There just isn't much time to do more than a bit of what you want.

Hire out as a hired gun for part of a stagecoach run.

All it takes is a glance at your tin star to get a job on a stagecoach run. Boring work when no one shoots at you, but going to and from the borders of Lander county pays well enough.

(Wealth slightly increased) (+3 Wealth, new total: 3)

No real action, but money is helpful. Let's fix up the office a bit.

quote:

There isn't but a scrap of time left to do one final thing.

Fix up my office.

A stack of fresh boards, topped with a jar filled with penny nails and a stout hammer to pound them with, has been dropped off at your front door one morning. A set of swinging shutters for your window is propped beside it. No bill, no note, just a gift out of the blue. Preston's doing, no doubt.

You set to work using the materials you purchased and soon the sturdy little office is a cozy place. Level too where the foundation had begun to sink.

Your spare days have been eaten up in full and you know that it is time to once again shine up your tin star.

Interlude concluded

With that done, it's on to chapter 3. Let's see what new problems this town has for us.

quote:

After a few days of not getting shot at, you begin to feel acclimated to the town. Come the evening you walk along the main street and revel in the cool breeze that always seems to stir once the sun has set. A steady clatter of boots up and down the saloon steps almost seems to match snatches of a badly tuned piano from the Mother-Lode or the strum of a guitar in the Babylon. Cigar smoke roils out of the nearby Hotel and matches the sizzle of steak within.

That all abruptly hits a sour note as hard flung insults erupt from inside the Evening Star saloon.

Mid-way between the Mother-Lode and Babylon, the Evening Star caters to the ordinary townsfolk more than the drifters and prospectors as it only opens come late afternoon. Tonight they have yet to set out their bulls-eye lanterns which, if local talk is true, came all the way over from a lighthouse in Denmark. Those are the prize possessions of the Madame who runs the place; the rarely seen Evening Star herself.

Out the front of the saloon lurches a buffalo of a man whose broad shoulders and frame is shot through with sinewy muscle. His hands are scarred from numerous tiny cuts though none of those particularly deep. The butcher by the name of Jeff Donner, or so you'd expect. He's getting along in years with a patch of gray along one side-burn but his dark brown eyes are filled with the baleful wrath of a younger man as he casts a departing glance back into the Saloon.

As you watch, he all but rips a cool blue tie from the collar of a starched white shirt. His powerful hands clenching as if limbering for a fight. A fight you suspect he'll win, if it stays to fists.

"What's going on here?"

quote:

"Nothing Marshal. I ain't gonna do nothing about this, like I always do," the big man says as he pulls himself back from the brink of rage. "I'm Jeff Donner, butcher. You probably seen my place when you rode in."
"Who are you, friend?"

quote:

"I'm pissed off at the slights of tongue that are being given to me, that's who I am," he says and exhales sharply as he strives hard to snuff the worst of his rage. "I'm also Jeff Donner, butcher. You probably seen my place when you rode in, Marshal."

Both choices lead to the same branches, conveying similar information.

quote:

"I remember"
"Hard to miss them shacks, what with all the cattle about," Donner says then casts a bitter glance back into the Evening Star. "Marshal, I'm having a devil of a time with the Winthrops. They're spreading rumors about me. This time is cows and... don't want to get into it. Its disgusting is what it is. If I were a different man, I'd go back in there and start snapping necks. God help me, but its tempting even now."

His voice has all the rumblings of an impending avalanche.

"Can't say I recall."
"Them shacks out by the bend in the river. The one with all the cattle in the fences? That's me," Donner explains then casts a bitter glance back into the Evening Star. "And the rumors the Winthrops stirred up this time got me and cows and... its disgusting is what it is. If I were a different man, I'd go back in there and start snapping necks. God help me, but its tempting even now.

His voice has all the rumblings of an impending avalanche.

Onto the dialogue tree.

quote:

"Do you want me to look after this?"
"Would you?" Donner asks in surprise. "I mean, this all started when they said I'd been fouling the river, that it went all nasty on account of me. Now, any drat fool who steps outside of town and walks upriver can see the whole stretch of it is like that, but plenty of people don't bother to look and just take their word for it; mainly because the Winthrops pay for their drinks. This last slander, its just cruel."

The man takes a deep breath. The veins in his neck bulge beneath a layer of muscle that stiffens like a granite slab. Then that tension subsides as the hot breath leaves him at last.

"But I don't rightly know what you can do about it," he says, gives a shrug of broad shoulders. "If you could make it rain and flush the river, that'd be great. If you could talk to the Winthrops and get them to back off, that'd be fine. If you head up river, see if some drat beaver or something has stuffed the flow, well, that'd do nicely too."

"You can't just go around killing people."
You say the words with as straight a face as you can and he doesn't seem to notice your faint grin.

"I know," Donner replies, "but doing and wanting are…they're separate. At least, they are right now."

"What brings you out here anyway?"
"Wanted a drink. Wanted to talk to Miss Star," Donner says with a distinct twist of a smile from his present frown. "You'd want that too, if'n you met her. She's not out yet though, they'll put that lantern up when she is."

"You gonna cool down? I don't want anyone hurt."
"I ain't hit anyone in a long while," Donner notes then draws a shaky breath, "and I promise I won't hit no one tonight."

"I'm just going to pop into the Saloon and see what is what."
"Thanks Marshal," Jeff Donner says, "I know I shouldn't get so angry, but I do. Especially when they start making stuff up about me and the river."

quote:

"I have questions first."

quote:

"Go ahead and ask," Donner suggests lightly.

"You said you do business with the Winthrops?"
"They're the only tanners around, so yeah, I kinda hafta work with them," Donner shrugs his shoulders and a small mountain of muscle shifts with the motion. "We used to get along real good, but not now. I've tried to clear things up, but they won't so much as peep to me."

"Why's the river so important? I thought the town had a sweet spring."
"It does. The river is for the animals and washing," Donner explains. "But its hard to wash in it right now, what with all the grit, so people have been using the well for all that. They've been complaining about having to use the bucket, having to winch it up and so on. Worse, as the town gets bigger, well, you can see how it is. The sweet well won't be enough."

"I take it you've talked to Preston about all this?"
"Sure have," Donner scoffs aloud. "He told me to settle up with them or let them do what they want. It ain't a sheriff's business unless someone gets killed, and probably not even then. Could be the Winthrops have been paying for protection from him, but I don't want to find that out the hard way."

"How do you want me to handle this?"
"Nice and easy, if you please," Donner tells you gently but firmly. "I have to work with these men. Getting them killed is the last thing I want."

1. "I'll talk to the Winthrops first, see if they'll see reason."
2. "It is unlikely I can get them Winthrops to stop the rumors, so I'll follow the river upstream and see if there are beavers or some such thing to clear out."

Do we want to try to talking or just head out and see if we can fix this river problem?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks for the gun tip- I’ll remember that. Wish there were mini-adventures on the patrols and stage runs but oh well.

Let’s chat with the Winthrops. Can’t hurt to at least hear their side of things.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
If we're going to stick with our deal with Preston, we'd better do our Marshalling outside the city limits. Head upstream.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If we're going to stick with our deal with Preston, we'd better do our Marshalling outside the city limits. Head upstream.

Yeah let's not break it until we have reason to break it good and hard

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

^This. Our deal's been working out well so far, lets go upstream

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Go look for those beavers.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time for an adventure upstream then.

quote:

"It is unlikely I can get them Winthrops to stop the rumors, so I'll follow the river upstream and see if there are beavers or some such thing to clear out."

"Yeah, them Winthrops don't seem inclined to stop," Donner agrees. "Good luck."

It is therefore time to take a ride.

1. Go it alone. I am the marshal.
2. It might be a good idea to take along Miss Caraway, and her twin pistols, in case there is trouble.

quote:

Finding Miss Caraway proves to be as easy as a stroll down to the Mother-Lode and a further inquiry there sends you across to a barn where the lady gunfighter is supposedly sleeping things off in a loft.
2.1 Make a lot of noise and go slow to let her know someone's coming.
2.2 Call out to her.
2.3 Just stroll on up to the loft.
2.4 Be quiet about things.
3. Ben Carson might be driving his herd nearby. The Cowboy, and his rifle, would be good company.

quote:

You set out and follow the track of a big herd as best you can. When a splash of rain muddles things up, you nevertheless keep on. At last you ascend a ridge and spy a great herd of cattle milling together like a field of shifting wheat in the midst of the green valley below.

Half a dozen cowboys keep the steers together as they start to move further on down to where the grass hasn't been cropped yet.
3.1 Ride right on down.
3.2 Fire my gun to get their attention.
3.3 Wait on the ridge in plain sight.
3.4 Sneak on close.
4. Dan Schmidt would be invaluable to finding whatever it is that might be clogging the river.

Do we want to bring a friend?

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Current Companions:
Wealth: Enough to drink the occasional beer in a saloon. (3)
Values:

Skills:
Gunfighting: 47%
Sharpshooting: 33%
Brawling: 36%
Explosives: 19%
Persuasion: 34%
Resolve: 40%

Influence:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Schmidt is the one who knows the most about Survival and nature. I say we bring him along.