Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is there some way to dismiss all messages at once? I tend to get 10+ of them at a time, and it wears out my fingers clicking them away individually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Shift click the dismiss button to remove all messages of the same type.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

AG3 posted:

Shift click the dismiss button to remove all messages of the same type.

Tyvm, that's been bothering me too.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Anyone have any advice for 769 Lithuania start besides "just play as the proper tribal in Vikings?" I don't play many basically land locked tribal starts and I have zero money.

Of the amusing note, my first attempt ended pretty quick when my leader was maimed, lost an eye, maimed, and disfigured in the first subjugation war. My current attempt had a nice 14 year regency after my new wife gave me the great pox and then I got bonked on the head and was incapable and then died. I did somehow get enough cash to form the Kingdom title (likely due to the vassals I had in one of my counties that just kept dying every 6 months childless).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Caustic Soda posted:

Tyvm, that's been bothering me too.

You can also CTRL click to dismiss all messages, shift click is for same type messages like construction complete etc. If there is a particular type of message you have no interest in showing up in the high priority message tab, you can right click it to get a bunch of options for how to handle it. You can make them low priority, or make them high priority only when they involve you and your family, that sort of thing.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Playing around with this, I found you can also up your merchant republic successor campaign fund by 100 by shift+clicking the (+) button.

Thank you!

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Anyone have any advice for 769 Lithuania start besides "just play as the proper tribal in Vikings?" I don't play many basically land locked tribal starts and I have zero money.

Definitely have your Steward collecting taxes 24/7 - it might not be a huge boost, but it'll be a boost, and sometimes you'll get a windfall. You should also try raiding as much as possible - your neighbors will be a lot poorer than the Christian and Muslim realms that Vikings can get to, but some money coming in is better than none. For the same reason, if and only if anyone nearby is weak enough, beat them up for tribute.

IIRC, a Business focus should help, too. I think you can turn a profit instantly off the Trade Route by hiring bandits and letting priests come along; this has backlash later down the chain, but it shouldn't be too big a deal. You should also be able to make money from some other Business events, like minting coins and building an inn. Then invest any and all capital in towns and markets, obviously - you can build everything else with Prestige anyway, so money is mostly only going to be good to you once you need new temples (to shore up your Moral Authority) and mercenaries/retinues (to steamroll anyone blocking you from a holy site).

Eventually you're likely going to want to conquer your way west, both for the holy sites and for the proximity to Christendom. Of course, that means tangling with the Slavic pagans, who'll get defensive bonuses, so you know.

Dunno if any of that's helpful or if it's all no-brainer stuff, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can go raiding overseas even if you're not viking, can't you? Just you don't get free boats and you can't navigate rivers (maybe? The wiki doesn't actually say who can use rivers). You also don't get the coastal conquest CB.

As a defensive pagan, you get bonuses for fighting in territory of your own religion against other religions, so don't despair if you get attacked. You also don't need to panic about being at peace like Germanics do. Probably a Romuvan run will be harder after the DLC, since there's going to be mechanics to help pagans convert and ways to establish holy orders to wipe out the pagans.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Well this game has been weird

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can go raiding overseas even if you're not viking, can't you? Just you don't get free boats and you can't navigate rivers (maybe? The wiki doesn't actually say who can use rivers). You also don't get the coastal conquest CB.

Yes you can overseas raid, but with 0 Shipbuilding tech and a non-coastal capital, I have zero ships and it may be a bit before any tech spreads. I thought just Vikings got river raiding. I didn't even bother to try. I'll go hit up the lab before I open my ironman save again and confirm. War wise I'm not too worried, I can swing back at any nearby threats at the moment. It was more the economy as Tribals are slow, but there's usually someone around to raid and my neighbors as poor as gently caress.

Poland has also been expansion happy to my Southwest, so I've got to find some soft targets to rack up the prestige before I go on expanding for the De Jure empire.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 2, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I was playing as the Nestorians off the Horn of Africa when I realized that I hadn't looked at Europe in a while. I wonder how my Chalcedonian brothers are do—.

Oh.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MaxieSatan posted:

Definitely have your Steward collecting taxes 24/7 - it might not be a huge boost, but it'll be a boost, and sometimes you'll get a windfall. You should also try raiding as much as possible - your neighbors will be a lot poorer than the Christian and Muslim realms that Vikings can get to, but some money coming in is better than none. For the same reason, if and only if anyone nearby is weak enough, beat them up for tribute.

Tribal stewards can't collect taxes. Build legend for prestige you can use on tribal holding upgrades and tribal armies

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Azhais posted:

Tribal stewards can't collect taxes. Build legend for prestige you can use on tribal holding upgrades and tribal armies

Ah, right. They changed that a couple DLCs ago, right?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm playing an ironman game as Cornwall at the moment. I've conquered southern England and southern Wales and established the Kingdom of Cornwall from the Charlie start, and almost all the rest of Britain and Ireland has now been conquered by the tribal kingdom of Pictland. I haven't really played CK2 enough to tell if this is necessarily a terrible situation or if it's perfectly manageable. I've beaten Pictland a couple of times now, but it always feels like I'm just getting by on the skin of my teeth - both wars were just for single counties, and the first I think I got lucky with a better commander or terrain bonuses to beat the numerical disadvantage, and the second war was when Pictland had a big civil war and I stole a Welsh county off the rebel side. I've assassinated a couple of the Pictish kings, but because they have Tanistry the kingdom doesn't break apart.

What's the best way forward? I'm also not really sure how many troops Pictland has, because the number in the King's info screen gives it at about 3.5k (on par with my own levies) but then in wars he's frequently fielding a big 4.5k stack.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Red Bones posted:

I'm playing an ironman game as Cornwall at the moment. I've conquered southern England and southern Wales and established the Kingdom of Cornwall from the Charlie start, and almost all the rest of Britain and Ireland has now been conquered by the tribal kingdom of Pictland. I haven't really played CK2 enough to tell if this is necessarily a terrible situation or if it's perfectly manageable. I've beaten Pictland a couple of times now, but it always feels like I'm just getting by on the skin of my teeth - both wars were just for single counties, and the first I think I got lucky with a better commander or terrain bonuses to beat the numerical disadvantage, and the second war was when Pictland had a big civil war and I stole a Welsh county off the rebel side. I've assassinated a couple of the Pictish kings, but because they have Tanistry the kingdom doesn't break apart. M

What's the best way forward? I'm also not really sure how many troops Pictland has, because the number in the King's info screen gives it at about 3.5k (on par with my own levies) but then in wars he's frequently fielding a big 4.5k stack.

If he's still tribal, he's cashing in 500 prestige for 1500 light infantry. The troop count also doesn't count calling on tribal vassals, as they may not give poo poo due to their dislike of the leader.

You can also try expanding south into Brittany or Francia depending on how unified it ended up.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 2, 2018

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, if Pictland still has Gavelkind and is big enough for England to be created, then they'll split in half when the current King dies.
There'll probably be a rebellion in England soon after that, since the Feudal vassals will detest their Tribal liege. Throw your weight behind it and you should find that England gets balkanised pretty quickly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I am hella PEEVED posted:

If he's still tribal, he's cashing in 500 prestige for 1500 light infantry.

2500, but yeah, that was my thought as well. You need to be real careful attacking tribals early game, and pay attention to how likely they are to get to 500 prestige before the war ends. They're lovely light infantry, but that's all anyone gets in the early tribal wars so it's pretty powerful.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The southern territory of Britain is much more valuable than the north, so you may have enough troops to take Pictland in a fight. Otherwise, the only choices you have are to try assassinating the kind (when he has multiple heirs) to provoke a gavelkind schism or just slapping down a counselor to try to provoke a rebellion.

Also consider...not attacking? While "natural borders" and the boundaries of de jure empires may compel you northwards you don't need to follow the path that the game has laid out for you. Try some continental conquest, that's real valuable territory! Make peace with the picts, befriend them. Marry into their royal family. Get a legitimate claim to the pictish throne. Take it all at once instead of bit by bit.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

pidan posted:

The cross represents Jesus's sufferings more than his death, so it would probably be the crown of thorns or a whip or something.

There's a certain description of crucifixion that has always stuck with me, from the story "The Wandering Christian". Basically, Crucifixion is the worst of the worst ways to die. It's why they did it.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Quote?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

From wikipedia:

quote:

The length of time required to reach death could range from hours to days depending on method, the victim's health, and the environment. A literature review by Maslen and Mitchell[45] identified scholarly support for several possible causes of death: cardiac rupture,[46] heart failure,[47] hypovolemic shock,[48] acidosis,[49] asphyxia,[50] arrhythmia,[51] and pulmonary embolism.[52] Death could result from any combination of those factors or from other causes, including sepsis following infection due to the wounds caused by the nails or by the scourging that often preceded crucifixion, eventual dehydration, or animal predation.[53][54]

A theory attributed to Pierre Barbet holds that, when the whole body weight was supported by the stretched arms, the typical cause of death was asphyxiation.[55] He wrote that the condemned would have severe difficulty inhaling, due to hyper-expansion of the chest muscles and lungs. The condemned would therefore have to draw himself up by the arms, leading to exhaustion, or have his feet supported by tying or by a wood block. When no longer able to lift himself, the condemned would die within a few minutes. Some scholars, including Frederick Zugibe, posit other causes of death. Zugibe suspended test subjects with their arms at 60° to 70° from the vertical. The test subjects had no difficulty breathing during experiments, but did suffer rapidly increasing pain,[56][57] which is consistent with the Roman use of crucifixion to achieve a prolonged, agonizing death. However, Zugibe's positioning of the test subjects' feet is not supported by any archaeological or historical evidence.[58]

TL;DR: It took a long time for the condemned to die, they were held in place by nails in their arms, which caused increasing pain and infection, and may have had difficulty breathing.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
As you like. It's kinda long.

The Wandering Christian, on crucifixion posted:

I know, my friends, that we live in a barbaric age in which the days of the great Roman Empire are sometimes looked on fondly, but the way they killed Christos was atrocious. Believe me, Absalom, an arrow in the lungs is a luxurious hot bath next to crucifixion.
That was what the Romans did to Him. It was reserved for those they despised the most. It's the worst possible way I've ever come across for a man to die. No Roman noble or citizen could be crucified because it was considered a form of death unfair for free men. It was for slaves, thives, bandits and - of course - for those who rebelled against Rome.

It all started with a thrashing. The soldiers triced you up and flogged you. They used a long whip with pieces of bone or metal studded in the end. The thong wrapped itself right around the body, tearing off flesh as it went. After three times thirteen lashes - sometimes more - there was more skin hanging off your back and chest than was left hanging on.
Having softened you up like this, they made you lift a heavy wooden beam and stagger off to the place of execution. In Jerusalem at this time, it was a small hill outside the city walls called Golgotha, the Place of Skulls.

Here there was a vertical wooden post six or seven feet high. When you got there, you were invited to drop the beam you'd been carrying. Then the soldiers knocked you over and lay the back of your neck in the middle of the beam. Then they stretched out one of your arms along the beam. A couple of the men held the arm down while another one took one of those big, long four-sided nails and hammered it through your wrist into the wood below.

Having nails through the wrist is extremely painful. Believe me, I know.

After they'd done this with the other arm, the whole execution squad lent a hand to lift up the crossbeam with you hanging from it, yelling your lungs out in agony, or maybe just biting your tongue, determined not to give those filthy bastards any pleasure by letting on you were suffering.

But then you found it very difficult not to yell out when they actually lifted you off the ground.

There was a hole in the middle of the beam roughly under your head. This they slotted into the vertical piece already wedged in the ground.

Now they bent your knees upward until the sole of one foot was pressed flat against the vertical piece. Well gently caress my old sandals if they didn't then produce another one of those big nails.

A nail through the foot is more - much more - painful than a nail through the wrist. They hammered it through one foot, and when the point came through the sole of that foot, they hammered it through the other foot and into the wood.

Then they would leave you alone. Some would watch, maybe they would take bets with one another on how long you'd live. After a while, it got boring, and they'd post a guard and go off to get drunk or screw a hog or whatever it was that legionaries did in their time off.
About now, you'd wish that you were back in the barracks being flogged. If, by any strange mischance, you had not gone out of your mind, you might have time to wish they had flogged you harder because the flogging weakened you. And the weaker you were, the sooner you died. And death was the only thing you desired. Death was the only thing left.

You didn't bleed much, but the pain was indescribable. The weight of your body hanging from your wrists pulled your chest upwards as though you'd taken the biggest, deepest breath ever. But you couldn't breathe out. To breathe out, you'd have to push upwards with your legs. Pushing up with your legs was indescribably painful because of that bloody nail running through your feet. At the same time, there was even more pain coming from cramps in your hands, along your arms and shoulders and chest. You were in all this pain, and you could hardly breathe. If you were really lucky, you'd bleed, or more likely suffocate, to death in perhaps five hours. If you weren't lucky, it could take days.

And those clever, cunning, oh-so-bloody civilised Romans could vary it. They could hammer a piece of wood into the vertical piece, like a little seat under your arse. That meant it was slightly easier to breathe because you didn't have to push on your legs so much, so you hung there for longer. Or they could tie your arms to the crosspiece as well as nailing them there. That had the same effect. Maybe the sons of bitches used both methods. I've seen poor bastards spend nearly a week dying that way. If the Romans liked you - or your relatives bribed them - they could break your legs. That way, you couldn't push yourself up to breathe even if you wanted to, so you suffocated fairly quickly.

So don't talk to me about the old Roman civilisation. I know they had central heating and straight roads and the greatest army the world has ever known, but at the back of all that they were the biggest shits in creation. Look, if some barbarian king back in the Dark Ages wanted you dead, what did he do? Cut off your head, or bludgeon your brains out, or drown you, or throw you off a high rock. All pretty quick. The Romans, being three times as clever and ten times as organised as any barbarian were a hundred times more savage in their methods of murdering people.

And that's what they did to Yeshua Christos.

The story itself is interesting. The base premise is 'what if/how did Judaism became the dominant religion in the world'. The text is on the net for free.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/newmanbyrne/wandering_christian.html

I first saw it a collection of alt-history stories I bought some years back.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Technowolf posted:

From wikipedia:

TL;DR: It took a long time for the condemned to die, they were held in place by nails in their arms, which caused increasing pain and infection, and may have had difficulty breathing.

There was a guy who wanted to test the breathing thing, actually. He didn't literally nail himself there but he did let himself be tied to a cross. If you let yourself slink down or go lax in any way breathing apparently became way more difficult. So you'd be trying to hold yourself up so you could breathe properly but that in and of itself was exhausting in that your range of motion was severely limited. Of course you couldn't hold yourself up properly forever and fatigue would set in; meanwhile the movement would agitate the wounds from the nails as well as, well...let's just say they probably didn't exactly sand and polish the wood you were nailed to so it was probably rough and splitery.

So yeah, crucifixion would have been an unimaginably terrible way to die. It's like somebody, a couple thousand years ago, sat down and decided to figure out the absolute worst thing you could do to somebody then decided "no, not bad enough." Eventually they kept going until they came to crucifixion.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Crucifixion was also viewed as a deeply humiliating and shameful way to die.

There's graffiti from the early days of Christianity written by Romans basically making GBS threads on them for worshiping a God who died like a loser.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It also really handily displays the dead body for all to see, during and after death. People have tried various horrifyingly brutal executions, but ever since they mostly abandoned crucifixion because of the religious connotations, they just have cages.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

SlothfulCobra posted:

It also really handily displays the dead body for all to see, during and after death. People have tried various horrifyingly brutal executions, but ever since they mostly abandoned crucifixion because of the religious connotations, they just have cages.

I am not a big fan of Dan Carlin but his podcast on the Münster Rebellion was really good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well my Hapsburg game has been widely successful so far. It’s now been about a hundred years and after slowly expanding my realm across Central Europe I was elected HRE. I’ve bow been spending years trying to get all of my vassals best and orderly and aim to gradually centralize the whole thing which is fine. But how do I deal with the massive international defensive pacts all arrayed against me? I haven’t yet declared an outside war for near two decades because of it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
It's been tough, I had to swear to the Abbasids a couple of times and half the realm has converted to heresies, but I finally have managed to capture a second holy site. Should have taken a screen shot of India, the northern half is ruled by a massive empire.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well my Hapsburg game has been widely successful so far. It’s now been about a hundred years and after slowly expanding my realm across Central Europe I was elected HRE. I’ve bow been spending years trying to get all of my vassals best and orderly and aim to gradually centralize the whole thing which is fine. But how do I deal with the massive international defensive pacts all arrayed against me? I haven’t yet declared an outside war for near two decades because of it.

Set up non-agression pacts with the larger powers in defensive pacts against you.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you have M&M, set your chancellor to reduce threat. When you get the chance, declare multiple wars at once. You can only get 50% threat per war and 100% max, so if you're going to have to wait out your pacts, you might as well go big.

Alternately, get big enough to just ignore the pact altogether. The pact members generally take a while to get organized at the start of a war, so if you can blitz the war goal fast enough then you can end it before the pact even matters.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

With the random religions, I wonder if they are getting rid of the need to always have the Pope around. If they create a dedicated event country (instead of the existing k_papal_state), it would open up the potential possibility of playing as a theocracy. Stellaris created a dedicated event country, so maybe CK2 will also get that.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

binge crotching posted:

With the random religions, I wonder if they are getting rid of the need to always have the Pope around. If they create a dedicated event country (instead of the existing k_papal_state), it would open up the potential possibility of playing as a theocracy. Stellaris created a dedicated event country, so maybe CK2 will also get that.

I forget if I read this here or the PDX forums or maybe reddit, but all the random religions are still Catholic, Sunni, Germanic etc under the hood, just almost all of the surface features are new. So the character of the Pope might be unrecognizable in-game, but he'll still exist in the files so the Mongols or whatever still show up as intended.

Incidentally, how do complete overhaul mods pull this off? Like, in Game of Thrones, are those events keyed off of the High Septon or something?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 3, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I had my heir educated as a Magyar and intentionally gave my old doge depression so I could kill him and form the kingdom (most serene republic :) ) of Hungary.

I gave the entire kingdom of Germany to one of my dukes, but I'm still riding an unstoppable wave of money. I guess I'll need it to kick the caliph out of the rest of Hungary and finally get my empire title.

Will I still have to be a Magyar for the empire, or can I switch back to Italian?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
burning your apostate son counts for kinslayer? nonsense!

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I sure hope the new features will work with modded maps. Playing random worlds on maps made with CK2 Generator would be so good.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
How common is it for someone to survive having the Plague. Because my ruler got it and for sure I thought he was a goner but he pulled through without doing radical treatments or anything.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

big dyke energy posted:

How common is it for someone to survive having the Plague. Because my ruler got it and for sure I thought he was a goner but he pulled through without doing radical treatments or anything.

I've survived a few times. I always shut the gates though so I can kick people out so that might help staying alive a little bit.

Have lost whole games lost to some bastard sneaking in an out of the castle bringing in germs and what not.

should clarify I have also have player characters contract it and survive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What's the best way to kill, disinherit, or otherwise rid yourself of your vassals' vassals?

I've consolidated Francia in my Merovingian game and my next project is to remove every single Karling from power everywhere in the world, and then wipe out the dynasty completely. Only problem is, a bunch of them are counts or dukes under my vassal kings.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Probably just having them murdered. Otherwise you can't really do much with them unless you retract them from your vassal, which will piss folks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Probably just having them murdered. Otherwise you can't really do much with them unless you retract them from your vassal, which will piss folks off.

If I go Satanist can I kidnap and sacrifice them? The game's frustratingly opaque about who counts as a legitimate target for some of the society / focus / etc. actions.

• Locked thread