Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Splicer posted:

I am now creating a setting where a poorly phrased spell has turned much of the world into angry skeletons, but none of the inhabitants.

That would make a kickass one-shot for Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

look if i cant make called shots to the groin then whats even the point

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Splicer posted:

Low vs high fantasy are literary genres referring to whether things are set in the "real world" or in an entirely fictional world. It has nothing to do with the tenor of the stories told or the amount of type of magic present, that confusion is caused by RPG nerds misusing jargon they don't quite understand in an attempt to look smart and, when being called out on it, hiding behind what "the words mean to me, language evolves abloo bloo you're the wrong one shut up"

but no one uses it for rpgs like that so, uh, it did evolve to serve a different purpose

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Countblanc posted:

but no one uses it for rpgs like that so, uh, it did evolve to serve a different purpose
We just had several pages of people arguing about their personal definitions so obviously that's not true e: the evolving to a different purpose I mean. Jargon is only jargon if it's got an agreed upon meaning. We can't even agree if the industry use refers to magical availability or heroic tone, so it's not a stable enough term to supplant the existing meaning.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 1, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

theironjef posted:

Which Gundam shows are which kind of fantasy? Cite sources, use lots of quotes, and be thorough, thanks.

Escaflowne

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dunbine because it was by the same director and studio

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis posted:

Gundam is Escaflowne fantasy and Escaflowne is Dunbine fanstasy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Which one's Combine fantasy?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Splicer posted:

Low vs high fantasy are literary genres referring to whether things are set in the "real world" or in an entirely fictional world. It has nothing to do with the tenor of the stories told or the amount of type of magic present, that confusion is caused by RPG nerds misusing jargon they don't quite understand in an attempt to look smart and, when being called out on it, hiding behind what "the words mean to me, language evolves abloo bloo you're the wrong one shut up"

Where did you get that from? Not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't match up with my understanding of the terms.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've personally never heard that definition and I've been into genre fic for decades.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Plutonis posted:

Nuns with Guns posted:

Gundam is Escaflowne fantasy and Escaflowne is Dunbine fanstasy

One of the more surprising things about the Mecha genre is just how many Fantasy series are in it

EDIT: have some additional examples of this phenomenon;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajiAvb_XfNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuvca6MPO0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CiX6ArmsQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQxC1vGgyoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfAgcXECU2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk2dXSV-3KM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcki6j-i28g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o1Z80x3G5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGilsRr5Yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa5kpWjWU_E

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 1, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Falstaff posted:

Where did you get that from? Not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't match up with my understanding of the terms.

It's the definition given by Wikipedia FWIW.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Falstaff posted:

I've no idea where I first heard it, but my quick sanity check before posting showed 8 out of the first 10 results in google agreeing with me so I'm guessing it was somewhere reputable.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

I just realized and this has kinda flashed me but Escaflowne is actually a proto-Isekai genre story. WTF.

Also, I always thought that Low Fantasy and High Fantasy was sort of a split of the prevalence of magic and
fantastic elements in comparison to other genre elements. A story of a hard-boiled detective in a fantasy world
where he is looking for a murderer and wizards are downplayed for a cool noir story is low fantasy,
while the campbellian story-mythos and wizards-first! stories are more high fantasy, you know, magic
airships, giant wizard battles, magic batteries running strange necro-arch towers and the magic railways,
settings where magic is front and center.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

I just realized and this has kinda flashed me but Escaflowne is actually a proto-Isekai genre story. WTF.
The nineties were all about that "transported into a magical world" trope, but back then the protagonists were more often women instead of goony guys. Rayearth, Fushigi Yuugi and El-Hazard all came out a long-rear end while ago.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Siivola posted:

The nineties were all about that "transported into a magical world" trope, but back then the protagonists were more often women instead of goony guys. Rayearth, Fushigi Yuugi and El-Hazard all came out a long-rear end while ago.

The older stories also didn't have the lovely "world is a videogame" thing, They were treated as a normal world. Though I think el hazard did the "Japanese cooking is the best" thing with one of the characters getting rich of cooking with soy sauce.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's the definition given by Wikipedia FWIW.

Thanks, I guess I could have done a quick google.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Siivola posted:

Inu-loving-yasha.

You're absolutely right. Isekai was big in the 90s, but it was just about girls falling into fantasy worlds and meeting cute boys and getting super powers and saving the universe.

Would Amethyst of Gemworld count actually?

https://youtu.be/pkd5mYvKWig

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hel posted:

The older stories also didn't have the lovely "world is a videogame" thing, They were treated as a normal world. Though I think el hazard did the "Japanese cooking is the best" thing with one of the characters getting rich of cooking with soy sauce.

Best world is a video game is still Digimon because it was super feral and trying to kill them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Person from our world is transported to another world where they're super special because reasons" is a trope going back to pretty much forever. It's just that recently the market for boys VERY GROWN UP MEN has shifted from "Is super buff because of playing sports in earth gravity" or "Knows basic chemistry from playing with chemistry sets as a lad" toward the slightly more contrived "Is good at Has played a lot of video games".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not necessarily all that recently.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I read a really bad fantasy novel where a guy got teleported into a fantasy world and then he was the mcguffin because his ring was made of a metal which was magic in the fantasy world but then he was garbage at everything and it wasn't even slightly fun to read. It was from my dad's collection and was like a six book series so it is probably a very old isekai

Also, FFX is an isekai where the main character is from a different fantasy world

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The Divine Comedy is isekai

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

cheetah7071 posted:

I read a really bad fantasy novel where a guy got teleported into a fantasy world and then he was the mcguffin because his ring was made of a metal which was magic in the fantasy world but then he was garbage at everything and it wasn't even slightly fun to read. It was from my dad's collection and was like a six book series so it is probably a very old isekai

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I haven't read it since I was about fourteen but I remember it being heavy going.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Good old Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. It would have been so much better if Donaldson didn't have this thing about rape.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Last Starfighter is a really interesting contrast. Alex is good at flying alien spaceships, and the videogame was a method by which they could find him. It's a Chosen One story about being good at shooting spaceships with a video game as a maguffin to provide the entry point (and enhance the wish fulfilment aspect). In the current nerd wish fulfilment explosion it's not about the video games making you good at something, it's about the video games making you good at video games, or good at recognising references to video games. It would be like John Carter of Mars solving every problem by exploiting the rules to American Football, but not ever actually running anywhere or kicking anything.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NinjaDebugger posted:

Good old Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. It would have been so much better if Donaldson didn't have this thing about rape.
Yeah I heard it was a classic, started reading, put the book down at the first rape scene.

A good use of 30 minutes.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Also, FFX is an isekai where the main character is from a different fantasy world

I like the FFX novel sequels where Tidus gets decapitated when he kicks a Blitz-Ball that was actually a land-mine disguised as a Blitz-Ball.

The novels were written by the lead writer of FFX and promoted by Square Enix so that's how you know they're canon.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

fool_of_sound posted:

The Divine Comedy is isekai

self-insert Bible fanfiction isekai, at that.
That's the argument htat I always bring up when people rail on fanfiction. Quality can be found anywhere.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bedlamdan posted:

I like the FFX novel sequels where Tidus gets decapitated when he kicks a Blitz-Ball that was actually a land-mine disguised as a Blitz-Ball.

The novels were written by the lead writer of FFX and promoted by Square Enix so that's how you know they're canon.

You're full of poo poo. But on the off-chance you aren't, link please?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Splicer posted:

Yeah I heard it was a classic, started reading, put the book down at the first rape scene.

The Gap Cycle novels are even worse. :whitewater:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Splicer posted:

"Person from our world is transported to another world where they're super special because reasons" is a trope going back to pretty much forever.

Mark Twain, the original isekai author.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

No, for real:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2.5_~Eien_no_Daish%C5%8D~

and a tl;dr:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/23fw1g/a_summary_of_final_fantasy_x25/

Also again, it's officially supported material. And in the sequel novel to this sequel, Sin comes back, making the first game utterly pointless. :haw:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

canon is a false idea

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

canon is a false idea

It's amazing regardless, and the world of FFX is now richer for it! :mrgw:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Mark Twain, the original isekai author.
CS Lewis, Lewis Carroll, L. Frank Baum, Edgar Rice Burroughs...

I've seen the term "Portal Fantasy" to collectively describe these kinds of works.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

No, for real:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2.5_~Eien_no_Daish%C5%8D~

and a tl;dr:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/23fw1g/a_summary_of_final_fantasy_x25/

Also again, it's officially supported material. And in the sequel novel to this sequel, Sin comes back, making the first game utterly pointless. :haw:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

paradoxGentleman posted:

self-insert Bible fanfiction isekai, at that.
That's the argument htat I always bring up when people rail on fanfiction. Quality can be found anywhere.

I still have weird expectations for fanfic quality after reading novel-length fanfic by a guy with a doctorate in classical literature from Oxford.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Covok posted:

I don't remember anything about a landmine but I do recall that the tie-in material was insufferable about unwriting the video games. Technically it exists but anyone who cares regards them as the work of an unrestrained author's meddling. Thankfully the piece in question, Final Fantasy X -Will-, is a Japan-only audio drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

fiction.txt